Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Gonna watch Resurrection of F this weekend when it goes up for digital rental on Google Play. I'm surprised Funimation hasn't bothered hosting some of the older movies like that. It's nice to be able to toss $4 bucks at google for a thing that I want to watch exactly once.

I got the itch to watch the Bojack movie the other day, and was totally willing to pay to rent it like that, but instead I had to watch some rando's lovely youtube upload with artifacting and copyright filter avoidance measures. You're leaving money on the table, Funimation :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

HD DAD posted:

Plus the original score is actually really, really good.

The old DBZ music is super fun. All lo-fi kung-fu movie orchestral poo poo, with hammy drama stings. It's really evocative of the conceptual source material of ridiculous low-budget martial arts films, while still being dramatic enough to match up to the crazy poo poo happening on screen.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Oh no, there's not digital rental available for Resurrection F :qq:
Is it just delayed, or am I gonna have to suck it up and pay my $15?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

New Leaf posted:

If Gohan isn't going Super Saiyan 2 against Cell to Linkin Park, it just isn't the same.

I thought AMVs were the poo poo when I was a teenager, too.

My favorite was actually a really cheesey like father/son moments montage set to Still Fighting It.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mordaedil posted:

The beams are not different in strength, they are a projection of pure ki energy and are as strong as their users, not more, not less. Imagine a bunch of fists being pounded every second into the face of the enemy at full strength while the charge it, to be released as a single long-range attack once they spot an opening in the enemy. It's not that Galick gun as stronger than Kamehameha, it was that Vegeta was stronger than Goku. Until he used Kaioken to make himself stronger.

Final Flash and Special Beam Canon are powerful because they required so much charging and even Cell wasn't ready for tanking a blow composed of all of Vegeta's rage from both his fists.

Special Beam Cannon in particular is extra deadly because it's extremely focused. Recall how it pierced a perfect, tiny hole in the Very Powerful Barrier around Champa & Beerus's arena. It's all of Piccolo's ludicrous power, concentrated into a tiny bullet that is spinning like a drill.

It does call into question why it takes Interstellar Warrior Prodigy / God Kinda Piccolo 2 minutes to charge it up, where Krillin can crap out a Kienzan capable of slicing off hunks of Frieza in like a second, though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

eonwe posted:

special beam cannon and frieza's death beam are the best dragonball moves other than perhaps buu's ability to turn people into food which owns pretty hard.

:yeah:

I like Special Beam Cannon, I think, aside from the fact that it's stylish as all gently caress, because there's just so much fanfare for it. It takes forever to charge up, Piccolo's body is doing all this gross stuff with his veins, there's lightning shooting out of the energy ball the whole time, and even if it misses Piccolo still blows up a fuckin mountain.

I'm fond of Galick Gun for similar reasons. You get the bitchin purple ki aura, that gets all spiky and lightning-y because Vegeta is loving LIVID pretty much any time he's using it, hand he does that thing with his hands that kind of implies he's just dumping his entire fury on you(r planet) like a giant bucket of hate.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Flippinlikebirds posted:

What's up with his hair in general? Seems like it's naturally spiky, but he also had that bowl cut for awhile. Do you think he puts product in it?

I'm convinced Chichi cut his spiky hair into a bowl shape like a bonsai tree.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

And part of it is the coloring, but it's also the very way they draw their faces; Bulma and Chi-Chi both look younger than they did in the Buu saga. And Videl of course looks like she regressed a decade or two.

And even in the Buu Saga, where honestly Bulma and Chi-Chi looked reasonably like their age, Chi-Chi looked older despite being younger than Bulma. Which, I suppose, makes snese, since she's basically been a single mom to two children, one of which is mentally disabled. Three children, two of which are mentally disabled, if you count Goku. poo poo ages you.

Bulma's the richest person on the planet, probably, in a world where there is definitely future-tech. She can probably look however she wants to.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Funky Valentine posted:

"YOU HAVE SUMMONED ME. WHAT IS YOU-"

*Shrenron sees Gohan*

"OH GODDAMMIT WHAT IS IT NOW"

I can't wait for Majin Vegeta to do "Thwartin my plans?" like 2 years from now. That's probably my favorite callback from DBZA.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

eonwe posted:

18 is cool as hell

they should do some weird ritual to channel god ki into her and then make her the goddess of destruction

Oh man it would be like the purestrain good poo poo god ki, too, because isn't all of her existing power technological in origin? She's basically an empty vessel.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm can't imagine there's much violence they need to censor, is it stuff like the boob jokes?

I guess the sword stabs might be a problem too.

"This is Beerus, the great [SPIRIT] of Destruction!"

also, queue a bunch of babies whining on twitter about how Jaco is disrespectful to the police or something

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

RBX posted:

If DB never had super sayian would it be as popular in America?

Me and all my little friends were super hype about DBZ before we knew what Super Saiyan was, so... probably? I only knew what was coming like a few months before Toonami aired the rest of the Frieza Saga because I delved deep into Geocities and found that there was still a shitload more DBZ in existence besides what we had :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My favorite Japanese King Kai thing: His character is flailing and screaming and getting all pointy-teeth, and his voice just sounds like regular bored talking. King Kai is a treasure.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Spidder posted:

If you prefer the constipated, 'cartoon tough guy' voices and the droning, incessant synth music of the US dub to the japanese audio there's something seriously wrong with you.

I have a serious soft spot for Chris Sabat's Mr. Piccolo voice, but that's about it. World's best Green Dad :kimchi:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Spidder posted:

Dunno... I didn't grow up with the US dub but loved Dragonball nonetheless. I was exposed to it as an adult and thought it was a joke at first. The voices and music were seriously grating. Nothing can convince me that this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgHAALKCb40

is better than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZVJq_6_aP4

there's not a single thing about this scene that the FUNi version didn't ruin.

Yeah I'm not trying to argue in favor of the English dub ITT. I love the Japanese audio. I also love the stupid, gruff Piccolo voice in the English dub, though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

How TFS handles Gohan's transformation is going to sell goddamn everything.

I'm calling it, Android 16 is gonna be like, "Don't worry, Gohan, I will always be there" *stomp*
and then it's gonna show a montage of every time Goku left, with O Fortuna blasting in the background.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

dr.acula posted:

So many hot garbage opinions in this thread, the main one being "this is a thing I dont like therefore it is actually bad".

The ocean dub superior

Is that the one that injected in the idea that Bardock was a "brilliant scientist" who invented the fake moon technique for no reason except that they felt like it?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TheKingofSprings posted:

Did you forget how much poo poo the original anime injected that never actually happened?

I remember how the Jaco book retconned baby Goku's brain damage out of the story :v:

I'm not talking about anime vs. manga purity. I'm talking about like entire lines of dialog added to the English dub for no reason that fill in what would be important character details except they aren't correct. I don't even remember what Vegeta's original line is there, because "brilliant scientist" got burned into my stupid 9 year-old brain.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm pretty sure the Saiyans don't have family names. They're all incubated in vats and are kinda apathetically aware of who their parents and siblings are, except for the Royals I guess.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Raxivace posted:

I wonder what would happen if Something Awful was dubbed.

All of Josuke Higashikata's posts would just say "Joe" next to them, and the ":justpost:" would say "SPECIAL BEAM CANNON" instead.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pureauthor posted:

Ash and Gary got their start in the anime. In the games their names are assigned by the player.

They have default canonical names of Red and Green in the games, but yeah. Or Blue, I guess, in the US.

This is confirmed when they appear in later games, like Gold/Silver and Sun/Moon.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Spidder posted:

US dubs being retarded and kiddifying scripts/editing shows in an absurd and embarassing way does not excuse the DBZ dub. It's still terrible regardless of the cirumstanes off the other dubs at the time.

I am not familiar with the new FUNimation dub. While I don't doubt that the script got better, and I appreciate them for trying, as long as it kept the same godawful, grating, amateurish voice actors for Goku, Piccolo, Krillin, Bulma, Gohan and other main characters that appear in almost every episode, it's still poo poo.

Piccolo-san dai-dai-dai-dai-daisuki :colbert:

Krillin is okay, too. Sean Schemmel's Goku can gently caress right off.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Dragon Ball is good again :allears:
I'm really glad Super doesn't take itself too seriously. The baseball episode was so great, and I'm glad Yamcha got owned.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Speak for yourself, I can do Kamehamehas for days.

tsob posted:

The only kamehameha wave I've ever succeeded in doing has been through my butt. I practice it every day, but I still can't get it to do more than a small splash :(

Tell your stories, goons. I knew a kid in middle school who swore up and down that he could do a kamehameha IRL, but he can't show us right now because it takes him like an hour to charge up.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

reignofevil posted:

If you think about it sports were designed to test the limits of human ability blah blah blah

I wish Shaolin Soccer was a documentary instead of a funny movie so I could see an irl beam struggle between the goalie and striker during the world cup.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Spiritus Nox posted:

Babidi/Dabura/Buu?

He just has to know where Babidi's gonna pop up to enchant/possess his little minions before the tournament and use the Evil Containment Wave.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kelp Plankton posted:

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/808985811014205441

holy poo poo yall, android 17 is back as one of the good guys in the new dragonball super arc

and gohan is back in his buu saga outfit???

YES!

YEEEEESSSS

Dragon Ball Super is: good.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pureauthor posted:

Hm/ If this arc only starts February 5th, does that mean the Hit arc will last for about 2 months?

I mean, that's only like 7 episodes. I think the "Hit Arc" is going to be more of "Hit came to worn us. He's inter-universal Future Trunks"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Do you think Gohan has to actually train for a while to go from his current sweatervest stick-figure body to being jacked as hell again, or is it like Roshi where he just gets jacked as hell if he focuses his ki?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Dexo posted:

18 in mom tracksuit is :allears:

Edit: Also are they going on some sort of space adventure.. a grand tour if you would?

I'm gonna loving lol if they fight Baby and officially render GT a dead timeline.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Krillin should go Super Krillin but every version is smaller and buffer

And balder. At Super Krillin 3, he's so smooth that all attacks slide harmlessly off of his body, and the reflection from any notable light source is capable of inflicting blindness.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 16, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Zzulu posted:

I can't remember but did Buu ever try to turn a god into candy sometime?

Would that work? I don't remember how similar gods and demons are supposed to be in Dragonball.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

I don't know about turning Gods to candy, but he did eat all of the Kais, so you know

I forgot about that. Maybe don't let Buu eat Beerus, you guys :ohdear:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blockhouse posted:

or worse he could probably still erase dudes while a candy

so you get deleted from existence by a cat cookie

RIP the rest of the cast of Dr. Slump

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Wheat Loaf posted:

Finally resumed my DBZ rewatch with the Garlic Jr. saga. It's good fun - I liked this one a lot when I watched it on Cartoon Network however many years ago it was and I enjoy it now because it gives Piccolo, Gohan and Krillin their last big chance to shine before Trunks arrives and Goku and Vegeta come back.

I remember at that time, I really loved it when you saw references to Dragon Ball (or the movies) in DBZ, because DB didn't get a proper "here's how it all began" broadcast on Toonami until after GT had aired in its entirety. See also: Cyborg Tao showing up in the Cell saga and flashbacks to Goku competing in the World Martial Arts Tournament as a kid.

Did anyone ever see an anime called Ultimate Muscle (Kinnikuman Nisei), which was about superhero pro wrestlers from outer space? Similar thing - it was a sequel to an earlier series (the anime of which I'm pretty sure must have been one of the prototypical modern shonen series) which never broadcast here, but every so often they'd allude to stuff that had happened in the original one and I really enjoyed that.

Ultimate Muscle is the only 4kids anime in history with a good theme song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ac3Cr965jM

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

OB_Juan posted:

For some reason, I originally thought Piccolo called it the Special Bean Cannon, because he was a plant person. I guess that's what I get for watching Z first?

I mean, to be fair it was Demon Light Murder Gun in the original work, which also wouldn't tell you much about What Piccolo Is (besides a stone cold motherfucker). A lot of the "culture" for dragon ball on the west is like ironic love for the very campy early dubs, which I can appreciate.

It pretty much gave us DBZ Abridged, and that's good enough for me.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lupus Rufus posted:

how can you claim Super is anything BUT canon when it has an episode where Toriyama's old editor comes back as a ghost, is the villain of the episode, and is annihilate by Beerus, *AND* features Vegeta getting jobbed by Arale????

This is a brave new era my friends, of when the headcanon becomes the canon. Even for Toriyama.

Vegeta having a working knowledge of Shonen Battle fighting styles and the physical properties of gag characters is still the best thing ever in Dragon Ball.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I hope Braly is Cabba's wife and inspires Videl and the other wives to be fighters again (except for Bulma, who's already perfectly relevant).

This would be kind of great, though? Cabba went back home after the tournament and was like, "Honey look what I can do! *transforms*" and then Braly would have just been like,

"Sweetie, no. MY POWER IS MAXIMUM!" *nukes a galaxy*

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I hope the Universe Survival Tournament is all reprisals of alternate-universe movie villains, like,

Braly
Metal Frost
Lord Slog
(Super) Cyborg 13
Majin Janenba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Shallot Jr. walks onto the stage and Gohan has 'Nam flashbacks about getting his rear end kicked by his possessed mom

• Locked thread