Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best K-On?
This poll is closed.
Mio 26 18.18%
Yui 21 14.69%
Ritsu 30 20.98%
Azusa 17 11.89%
Mugi 49 34.27%
Total: 143 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

why isn't the sea slug a pokemon yet

Aren't these sea slugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Good day thread.

Please mix and eat your food responsibly.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Pizza Hut encouraged me to read books and rewarded me with free pizza, so I can not dislike them.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Code-breaking House of Leaves was fun.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Radio Spiricom posted:

i am deeply considering going to the times square dave & busters to play pokken

no one will judge you if you do

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

good trolling: making games posters mad about ridley

bad trolling: that

To be fair, the smash thread made themselves mad really easily

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

homeless snail posted:

I hope all the anime gamers itt have seen the latest monster hunter cross trailer... cause its sick

I haven't, but I will probably buy it when it comes out in the West now

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

lesbian baphomet posted:

The Felynes are playable ! ! ! !

Ok, I watched it, it looks really cool and fun.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

i see

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
My guess with Nisekoi is that it has a decent enough hook (albeit generic as hell) while having cute girls without relying on excessive fanservice. Jump has attempted a couple more fanservicey series since Nisekoi started, but they all got quickly dropped.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

dogsicle posted:

Dunno if Dressrosa is the longest but it's literally twice as long as it needs to be, has too many characters, and the fights sucked. I'm not sure why Franky and Brook exist, and the crewmembers who don't have haki (Nami, Chopper, ???) get shafted 24/7. Sanji is the worst character now and Oda's art is definitely going in places I dislike wrt spreads, fights, and women.
It sucks to see this happen! I thought OP would stay good while Naruto and Bleach crashed and burned.

It's the longest arc. Before Dressrosa, every arc tended to be at most a year long (technically CP9 was 2 years, but people tend to split those into Water 7 and Enies Lobby anyways).

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

littleorv posted:

I would like everyone here to read my 10 page essay, with references, about fan service in anime.

In short: it's incredibly good.

I won't read it, but you seem like a trustworthy source.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bad Seafood posted:

Formula is probably the wrong word also, I'm just struggling with how to phrase it. It ties in with an idea I've discussed before though, regarding the willingness of any given series to reinvent itself and surprise you.

My two favorite long-running shounen titles would probably have to be Jojo and Hunter x Hunter. One of the reasons I gave for this, several chat threads ago, was that they felt like the only two shounen serials I kept up with where "Anything could happen." Both series boast a certain flexibility that allows them to contain a vast array of different things without sacrificing their core principles or premise. In Jojo's case, this is due to Araki's style of generational storytelling. Each arc features a new protagonist who finds themselves situated in a brand new context, linked by a shared lineage. As long as the lineage is there, then, there's really no end to what Jojo can become. Jojo can go into space or back in time, uncover bizarre phenomenon, or generally just be whatever it wants to. Part 3 was a globe-trotting tournament travelogue. Part 4 was a small town murder mystery. Part 7 was an alternate history horse race across the continental United States. All three of these things are very different, but they fall fit beneath the umbrella of "Jojo." They all fall well within the boundaries of what Jojo can be, which is one of the ways the series has managed to remain fresh even after almost 30 years of publication (IMO).

One Piece's strength, I'd say, would be the idea of "Pockets" of adventure, represented in-series by islands. One Piece is portrayed as a fanciful, imaginative world in which there is seemingly no practical limit to what's allowed in - something bolstered by Oda's cartoony art direction which allows him a wide variety of shapes and sizes and features to choose from without undermining the integrity of his world. Beyond this, however, One Piece is in many ways a world of isolation. Each island is virtually a world unto itself, and since everything's so far apart there's really no reason anything can't be right next to anything else. What this means, practically, is that whenever the crew leaves one island for the next, there's this anticipation for what or who they'll run into next because it could quite literally be anyone or anything. Once they do make landfall, Oda gets a chance to treat us to whatever local delicacies he's invented; lather, rinse, repeat. It's very formulaic, but it's a formula that allows for hypothetically anything. Obviously you can still botch the execution, but the potential is there.

I haven't read anything of One Piece past the timeskip, but from the complaints I've heard I wonder if it isn't straying from this path.

I'm probably rambling by this point. I'm hungry and need food.

I'd argue it started happening earlier before that when the crew got seperated and the meta-narrative started becoming more important. Like the writing was still good, but the spirit of adventure became less prevalent when it switched gears to saving Ace. Not that Oda hasn't tried to make each new location after the reunion interesting, since for all intents and purposes, that was the whole point of Fishmen Island but it somewhat falls flat since each of the New World locations so far feels the need to have some sort of narrative importance, whereas Skypeia is cool island in the sky adventure and doesn't need any justification for itself.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Anyways, back to Utena. I've been liking the 2nd arc more than the first one. Something about the focus switching to these periphery characters appeals to me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Oh, so this is the episode where Ikuhara has hands pointing at all the symbolism I've heard so much about. Yeah, still not fully getting it, but funny nonetheless.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

there's nothing to get. it's just a gag. even if you want to super analyze it, the only thing you can really get is 'people don't see what's right in front of them unless it's pointed out to them' or something.

Intriguing episode nonetheless. Curious about that parallel between Utena and Tomiko, since they had the whole shadow plays gag with Tomiko instead too.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

dogsicle posted:

It's 7 volumes behind the scans

It's translated in their Shonen Jump releases. Every now and then, their translation comes out before the scanlators.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bad Seafood posted:

It's real. I did it just a few minutes ago.

You are a cruel mod, Bad Seafood

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I watched the incredibly emotional and moving Episode: Nozomi of Love Live S2.

Those last set of episodes of S2 were emotional in general.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzL2pNvWkGk

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bad Seafood posted:

Anybody who wants to be on the team can be, but it may take some time before you pop up in rotation.

Yeah sure, I'm sure insanity can be cured with money easily.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

GorfZaplen posted:

Just going to take a nice relaxing sub ride...*volcano explodes, dozens of suicide depth charge soldiers come ominously closer*

Hah. Yeah, I'm inclined to think the upper path is easier.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Heh, FFXIV bosses with the same mechanics in Record Keeper, that's cute.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Davincie posted:

im not going to spoil myself on the rest on the offchance a second season happens but lol was all this really just book 1 of 6 or so

Yes.

Also I'm back from work and can stop phone-posting now. Unfortunately, I do not have strong opinions about music other than it's cool and good.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I actually liked book 2 of Rokka. I can't say poo poo about it now because the LN spoilers essentially reveal the answer, but it's basically Maura made a bunch of poor decisions so now she has to do a crazy gamble in order to exploit a loophole. Also Adlet using science to figure out how to kill a dude.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Book 3 was kinda lame though because it's Goldov focused.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Wark Say posted:

Talking at length about music only requires for you to try and elaborate as to why you liked it. If you want to start from scratch, just think back on the essays you did for English studies class (or the equivalent in other countries) and try to apply it to music. Just remember to use that comparison as a stepping stone and not, you know, make it permanent. I can probably think something up you can use for example with a manga or anime.

For now, I have to go back and do the whole family man thing. Laters!

Yeah, but that'd be effort-posting and I'm lazy about thinking too hard about the media I consume. That said, I don't hold enough passionate feelings about music to really analyze why it sounds good to me other than it has a very catchy melody, or it uses piano as instrumentation which I have strong nostalgia for. I'm pretty ignorant on the lyrical front.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

sorry, someone said it was poo poo before you said it was decent, so goon opinion has been decided.

It's more that I can't state what the Catch 22 problem of book 2 is, because anyone who read the spoilers can make a reasonable guess what the answer to that problem is, so it loses a lot of its momentum I guess. Still, it's an enjoyable ride in seeing the characters bounce off each other though. Except Goldov, he just mostly sits in the corner being sad.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Stairmaster posted:

its okay to have anime music on your ipod

its video game soundtracks that are the shameful poo poo

Well poo poo

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Davincie posted:

seriously, watch that kpop video i posted. it got people into normal kpop so mad

it confuses me but also makes me laugh.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

boom boom boom posted:

lol I actually thought of Loran crossdressing in doujinshis before I remembered he does it in the show

boom...

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

one of the clips slowly fades out to reveal im kissing myself. it's a deep metaphor for, uh, we can figure that out in post.

Lol

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ArfJason posted:

I wish it were only the noise. The act, the culture, the peripheral substance of all it has engendered. It disgusts me, it sickens me to a level not witnessed before by even the most misanthropic. Holden Caulfield screams at an empty anime convention space, a teenaged mindset, yes, but the target was well chosen.

I Will Kill Hatsune Miku.

I will play Project Mirai, cause it's fun

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

I like meiko :(

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Srice posted:

I've learned my lesson though, I'm going to stop watching all LN anime as they air except for -monogatari, and only check out the buzz about them when they're over

I attempted that for a while, but then I missed out on anime like SNAFU.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Budget Prefuse posted:

the ending to rokka sounds hilarious but i dont like the concept of a character being brainwashed into loving another character

Yeah which was why I hoped no one would actually spoil that plot point since people were really into that relationship and outta context, it sounds bad. The thing that spoiler omits is that he still stays with the party after that, because of course he would with the main difference being that relationship is mirrored the other way now.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

chumbler posted:

I wish I had an appetite in the morning because breakfast foods are the best.

Same. I eat breakfast food at lunch typically when I'm craving them.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm just very prone to food coma, and breakfast foods usually get that reaction outta me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Man, monster hunter is really fun once you get the hang of a weapon, and friends to play it with. Shame about the specific monster parts with low drop rates. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I played a lot of Monster Hunter today. It usually went like this.

• Locked thread