Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Jose posted:

its a bit ludicrous that all these characters have d in the name and we still don't know what it is
It's probably intrinsic to the Void Century and such so those things will be unveiled at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I guess this explains why CP9's shadows were visible in that scene between Punk Hazard and Dressrosa

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Further to the "Sanji is a prince who is deliberately concealing his identity" chat, check out this eyecatch from ~10 years ago in the anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTuiGO0PZFA

:supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

tbp posted:

yeah im pretty sure the plot point is gonna be that hes a noble or a prince or somesuch but idk if i'll like that because we literally had tht with doflamingo and sabo
I feel like a Strawhat being a renounced Celestial/Noble would provide a nice emotional hook for the inevitable showdown between the World Government and the crew - it would give Luffy a reason to give a poo poo, if nothing else

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Isn't Akainu also a doting grandfather to really young grandkids or something? I could've sworn he was.
You could be thinking of one of the recent art commissions that Oda did on a coverpage. It had Akainu chilling in a garden and I think there were some kids there.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Advice posted:

Surely you don't mean that ship in the reveal shot, most certainly the Going Luffy Sempai.
He's talking about the chapter that featured Sanji and co.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

For people disappointed that Weeble is a shichibukai - keep in mind there's two other new slots too, with Law and Doflamingo out of the frame (though I have a feeling the shichibukai might be on the way out in the story's future). Plenty of room for SERIOUS GUYS.

Shichibukai shortlist:
- The guy with the propeller hat from Orange Town
- Gin
- Gaimon
- Foxy
- Paulie
- Wiper
- Starfish guy
- Yeti Cool Brother #2
- The marine from the G-8 filler arc
- The Corrida Colosseum announcer
- The guy who asked Gold Roger where he buried the treasure

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 1, 2015

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

He got away from Dressrosa by sneaking onto a boat. It happened to the Revolutionary Army's. Presumably he has been passing in/out of consciousness for... two weeks(?!) because Sabo dunked on him so hard.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Green Intern posted:

Buggy's crew always looks like it's having an awesome time. He's the best. Either he's gotten taller from being a Shichibukai, or he's separated his hands and head and attached them to a black sheet to look bigger in front of his men.
I think we know Buggy well enough at this point to know which it is

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Anime Skypiea could be a slog but it did give us this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9OUUw3J1Vo

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Uhhhhh are y'all talking about the same Brook who did that "oh, I already cut you" stuff in Dressrosa? Dude is pretty powerful.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Only two more days of devil fruit chat until this thread can be redeemed

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

RC Cola posted:

I am watching the anime for the first time and it makes some arcs much more enjoyable (jaya, arlong park, don krieg) and makes others (skypiea-spelling) worse. That is until luffy fights eneru. His reaction to luffy not dying via lightning was amazing. Also the graphic showing the four straw hats heading for the ruins splitting up and watching zoro go backwards. Classic.
I put the anime to rest around Marineford, but it still influences my reading to this day. The music, voice acting and animation (when it counted) were excellent. I definitely wouldn't love OP as much as I do if it wasn't for the anime really bringing the world to life.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

This was largely a good chapter but I do echo the sentiment that it seems like Oda is trying to pick up the pieces of putting the B-Team to one side for so long and not doing a great job. After Dressrosa, it may have been better just to do a simple flashback to Sanji's team when they faced down Big Mom and then tell a contiguous, linear story from there.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

"Coup... coup..... coup de fuckin... whatever they call it, man."

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Maybe I'm an idiot but I kinda wish they'd told this story in chronological order

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

AfroGunsou posted:

more importantly sanji has siblings. i hope theyre cooler than he is +replace him in the crew. rest in piss sanji
He's the third brother, so - Ichiji, Niiji, Sanji

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Relin posted:

Was it ever established Sanji had amnesia?
He doesn't need amnesia for this plot to work, does he? My guess would be that he had a reason for leaving his birth parents behind and taking the job on Zeff's ship. He probably just wanted to move on from his previous life.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I absolutely love when One Piece delivers on plot points set up almost two decades ago, holy poo poo

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Sinners Sandwich posted:

One Piece has leeway between arcs because all the title pictures of the crew relaxing on beaches and playing with animals are canon
what about the ones where they're being assailed by animal doppelgangers

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Holy poo poo, it's only taken like five chapters for the minks to be some of my favourite One Piece characters-of-the-arc

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

This is pretty much the dopest One Piece toy of all time

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/352990

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

is there gonna be a chapter today??

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

this is so much fun :allears:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Green Intern posted:

Holy poo poo, Oda remembered that Robin is an archaeologist.
She had a fairly important archaeology-thing to do in Fishman Island. It's not been that long. Poneglyphs would lose their importance if they were on every island.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Does 'Oden' mean anything in Japanese? There's an old One Puece OST track named "World's Number One Oden Store," just curious if it means anything.
it's a kind of japanese stew

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

I meant more of 'What sort of poo poo did they run into that forced them to git gud the same way the Strawhats had to.'
Maybe they just naturally levelled up over the two years in the New World, or were stronger than Luffy/the other SHs pre-timeskip and therefore had a smoother difficulty curve to ride? Kidd in particular seemed like he was handling poo poo pretty well at Sabaody.

It's actually kinda hard to gauge how much of a step up the New World is, given Dressrosa is the only actual island (Punk Hazard and Zou being unlogged) we've been on since the timeskip.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

This, but unironically.

C'mon, it's Luffy. He gonna steal them poneglyphs.
agreed, jimbei is currently carrying one around with him

garfield saying you can't carry them is totally a chekov's gun or w/e, it's essentially setting yet another rule or expectation for luffy to smash thru

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

You're getting upset about the One Piece anime being replaced by something with good pacing?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Wouldn't surprise me if Luffy and Pekoms leave to get Sanji and the fight was used as something to occupy everyone else in the interim so we have something to cut to during the Sanji rescue mission. Jack is Kaidou's second in command, so this really should fall on Zoro's shoulders anyway.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yes, we should be getting a chapter this week. I would bet on there being a break next week though because I can't remember the last time we got four unbroken weeks of One Piece.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

So, do you think Luffy is hearing the voice of Zunishia the elephant or the whale tree?
"AHHHH gently caress THAT HURT DUDE"

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Nami has probably been inserted into the Big Mom storyline because she has Lola's vivre card.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

THAT COVER PAGE loving OWNS

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The spread with Zunisha has gotta be one of the all-time best

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Radish posted:

Mink cat lord is like Jimbei only not terrible.
shut the gently caress up

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd think it's implying that Vivi is in love with a straw hat. It's been a while since I read Alabasta (sp?) so I don't know who it might be between Luffy or Sanji or maybe Usopp
she's adventuresexual, same as luffy

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Shoren posted:

I thought it was explicitly stated as Whole Cake Island by Count Cat or Duke Dog in one of the last chapters? If there is any island fitting for Big Mom's operations it's one called Whole Cake Island.
It has to be Whole Cake Island by virtue of it being the only Big Mom island known to the protagonists, unless Luffy and co are just randomly sailing around looking for her

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

I love how everyone's glossed over Vivi being able to casually jump from the crow's nest to the deck of a ship and land without any injury.
She started out as a Baroque Works ninja, it's not that far out imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Blackbeard pissing off everyone he interacts with is another cool anti-parallel between him and Luffy, the guy who can make friends with pretty much everyone