Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kashuno posted:

Ok so. Just finished Ch97 and saw Shanks coming back! I'm curious to see how that goes. Up to this point, the crew is a total blast.

Luffy is incredibly good! Like, don't judge a book by its cover etc but a big part of me avoiding One Piece for so long was like "wow Luffy looks like he is a dumbo of an MC!" but he is actually super great?? I think it will be hard to forget the fight against Arlong where Luffy picked up the sword and smacked Arlong a bunch and screamed "I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE A SWORD FISH MAN." Just, every moment he is the focus of attention is so drat hilarious even when he is at his most serious. Luffy is genuinely one of my favorite protags in a series already, and I am crazy to see more wacky adventures. And maybe he is about to meet Shanks again???!!! Also I feel like I am required by law to mention the scene where Nami is asking for help and Luffy puts his hat on her head. I've seen that panel around before, but knowing the context of that scene and how dearly Luffy cares about that hat drat that was a super powerful moment. I was already invested in this story because it was a good pirate adventure, but that moment was like definite "ok I want to read all of this."

Zoro is neat. His backstory was lolbasic but that's fine in the end. Fighting with a sword in his mouth is so weird especially considering her somehow still talks, but it is always a super cool fight scene when he comes on. I really enjoy his laid back demeanor despite being a pirate hunter, and lmao he must've been hunting some chumps before Luffy came along because drat the pirates they've gone up against since then have been making it real hard. The fight with Hawk was crazy, I genuinely didn't think the would bring a Grand Line pirate in to have a fight so early on but holy poo poo completely dunked on Zoro. Can't wait until he has really recovered from his injuries and is back to full capacity rear end kicking.

Holy poo poo Usopp is obnoxious and not in a funny way aaaaa. I feel like every other character gets a good laugh out of me but Usopp's endless "I AM THE CAPTAIN ACTUALLY" jokes were tired before they even got started. That said, even Usopp has his moments which is impressive. His backstory was a lot of fun and I hope he gets to go back and visit the people of that island again at some point. His slingshot fighting gives him some great moments and even though he spends most of time like AH poo poo I'M GONNA DIE he gets his beatings in. I think his dad is with Shanks so maybe that'll change something a bit, but Usopp is definitely the weakest for me right now.

Sanji is good. I like all his dumb food kicks and his obsession with Nami makes for some hilarious moments. The restaurant was a cool arc, and his dedication to the chef was great especially after the backstory on the island as a kid. He really did take everything the old man wanted him to get and dunked on anyone who had a problem. Although I don't know what it is but Sanji always looks like his legs are his entire body. Probably the almost all black outfit. I think Sanji has the best character interactions so far, even if he is the newest crew member. He just clicks with everyone.

And then there's Nami. Having just left Nami's hometown holy poo poo that was a heartwrenching arc. Nami's has been such a good character, and probably the most complex up to this point. Her playful attitude mixed with her backstory made it always weird starting out what she was up to. I figured she would betray the crew at least once, but I think at this point she's probably in it for good. Out of everyone, she feels the most piratey of the crew. I feel like despite her getting in on the okes and stuff she is the one who will keep them focused on pirating.

Koby better come back at some point. Even though the Marines are by far the shittiest people on the seas like wow why would anyone ever want to be a Marine

Also drat thinking about it now it's crazy how every arc this far has been better than the last

The One Piece world is one of the most well built and FASCINATINGLY complex of any shonen. Take your last post about the marines for instance. Yes a some of them are poo poo, but they're basically the law that protects you from rampaging pirates. A lot of really complex political stuff gets brought up way later on and I can only look forward to more posts as you read the series and see the characters actually grow and evolve in really tangible and complex ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nessus posted:

I think that was when they realized they had a big-league franchise on their hands like Dragon Ball, not something middle tier.

This. Things just escalated from there. It's still amazing how mundane Oda was about the whole thing.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kashuno posted:

Oh my god Zoro dunking on all these Baroque fools on the cactus island was incredibly good and satisfying. It seems like these might be the main baddies of the early Grand Line, since they have a boss no one has met and I think there are more of them out there. I feel bad that Nami was like ALL MY NAVIGATION IS COMPLETELY USELESS and hope she learns to navigate the Grand Line in a good old fashioned way, but the way they do it now gives a good excuse for the crew to hang out on each island for a bit. Sanji being Nami’s willing slave owns. Usopp is pretty lowkey right now :(

I can’t believe Luffy painted the straw hat pirate symbol on the whale :allears:

e; how could I not mention the dude with the god drat hair guns what the hell this series has the wackiest enemies

Oh it gets better. Are you reading the colorized editions or the classic B&W?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kashuno posted:

Black and white which I thought would bother me but I kinda like it

There's a digital recolor. Check it out if you ever get a chance. Ditto for some of Oda's Color Walks that include a lot of pre one piece concepts. One of my favorites was one of Nami weilding an axe and having a mech arm and leg.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hopefully it'll be as good as Z then, because Z was some drat good One Piece. Probably my second favourite movie after Baron Omatsuri, which is very different from normal One Piece yet super good.

Have not watched ANY of the movies except Strong World since I kind of stopped on the anime(might get back on that horse at some point), but that one in specific I like the least. Everything about it just doesn't feel like One Piece on top of being creepy as gently caress and having some weird character models.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mraagvpeine posted:

Just check the release dates of the movies and whatever was the most recent volume released at that time and you shouldn't go wrong.

This. I've not watched any of them since they sound a bit spotty at times in terms of quality, but Strong World is 100% Unfiltered Awesome.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

LostRook posted:

That's true of many of the major pirates in the new world so far. Blackbeard is opposite Luffy, Kidd is evil Luffy, Law is serious Luffy, Shanks is grounded Luffy, Kaidou is drunken angry Luffy.

You forgot Big Mom being hungry Luffy.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tir McDohl posted:

I could sorta see it finishing at like volume 120.

Haha, I think there is no way Wano is already 1/3 done. Maybe 1/6 or so? We haven't even seen a real fight yet.

No I really can't see One Piece ending at volume 120. There's just so many things that it would feel incomplete unless it's a HUGE troll job by Oda where he makes a sequel continuation similar to Naruto being followed by Shippuden.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bleck posted:

all the blood in my body just rushed straight to my penis and my roommate had to call an ambulance

We still need to see Elbaf. Like actually have an arc there. And there are still so many things that we need to see like Lucci and the CP9 guys come back and I mean REALLY come back. Ditto for Crocodile and whatever he and Daz are up to now.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Supersonic Shine posted:

The thought of Luffy reproducing feels wrong to me. I can only see him as a cool/weird uncle instead of a dad.

Same. This also kind of applies to the crew in general. The idea of them having kids just feels so...off.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Begemot posted:

I feel like every since we got to the New World, there's been a constant tension between Oda knowing that he has to start working towards finishing this series, and him just loving world-building and designing characters and giving them goofy stuff to do. By the end of an arc, there's so much forward momentum and everything could come to a climax in just a few short weeks, but then we get to a new island he just has so many ideas.

To be clear, I absolutely love this, and hope he takes as much time as he wants. The bits at the beginning of a new arc where we're meeting new characters and learning about the island are some of my absolute favorite parts of the whole series. If that means that this series lasts 2000 chapters, so be it. There's plenty of time to get to the important stuff, One Piece is so insanely popular that I doubt anyone is capable of pressuring Oda into doing anything he doesn't want to.

I 100% feel the same way. Ditto for seeing what past characters are up to. Those are always some of my favorites about this series that it revisits old characters showing how those people and islands are doing showing that they actually meant something more than just a throwaway piece and actually still mean something to the greater plot.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mulderman posted:

This is the type of effort I wish the anime showed more often.
They absolutely NAILED that scene. And the sound design of instruments slowly fading out followed by a loud thud as another corpse hits the ground, gives me goosebumps every single time.

Same. There are times where they tweak a few scenes here and there the mess something up thought usually by adding some bit of filler that contradicts something later on. And I loving loved that scene for how depressing it was. Like you FEEL every instrument leaving the song.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RealFoxy posted:

I wish I could re-read the arc you're on right now with no memory of what's happening. You're going to be on a wild rear end ride from Waters 7 to Punk Hazard.

I rewatch the Water 7 Arc to Marineford from time to time. That stretch is some of the best manga story writing EVER.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Grouchio posted:

I always imagined Oven and Katakuri as Kaidou's kids.

I've seen theories about that and it makes sense as they seem to match in physical resemblance to him and are both strong as hell.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I'm legit curious what Crocodiles back story is. Him and Mihawk are the only two we know nothing about prior their careers as Warlords.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think Crocodile got his rear end handed to him by Whitebeard? A couple of the Warlords are New World burnouts.

He lost to Whitebeard, but other than that we know nothing else. And some of his dialogue to Luffy when they fought implied that he was like him to some degree, but then something changed. He also seems to have some kind of connection to Ivankov as well.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

bobjr posted:

There was a short lived theory when Ivankov was revealed that Crocodile was Luffy's mom, which I don't know how to feel about.

God please don't remind me of that. Ugh!

I also don't think Crocodile's ever been subjected to the gender swap since he's had character pictures of him as a kid and actual "what if" gender swap pictures done.

All in all, that was just a loving TERRIBAD concept and idea and makes no sense.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bleck posted:

the whole idea is based on how crocodile's childhood art and his "what if" gender swap look more similar than crocodile as a man and young crocodile

I remember the theory predating both of those by a good bit from some old discussions back when Summit War was still recent on the anime. This was years ago though so memory might be off.

Begemot posted:

We know from the Ms Goldenweek cover arc that Crocodile's true dream is to be the pirate king, which definitely points to him being more idealistic at heart.

I remember that one. I liked it a lot.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though could be wrongfooting us given Ivankov has been with the Revolutionaries and in Impel Down and probably knows a fuckload of secrets besides.

The Revolutionary Army is still a bit of an unknown quantity it seems like; their goals and tactics seem pretty clear in seeking to discredit the World Government and encourage and assist people to overthrow tyrannical and corrupt governments, and the WG is certainly mass-producing malcontents at an unprecedented rate. But it's still not entirely clear where they came from, what motivates Dragon in particular (being the son of Garp the Hero and all) and what assets and resources they have that keeps them going even after Blackbeard sacked their original base. (and for that matter, why Blackbeard targeted them in particular) Robin spent the timeskip training with them but that doesn't help much given she's already the most enigmatic Straw Hat.

Agree with most of these, but to start I think Blackbeard went after them simply because they were there and he knew their bases location and figured he could acquire powerful weapons and the such. Their discrediting the WG I think is more trying to discredit those at the very top such as the Celestial Dragons and Five Elder Stars since they discuss this in the short Reverie arc where Betty asks Koala about how she feels about things since Fishman Island is taking part in Reverie. Ditto for some mention about Alabasta as well in that regard.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah, considering Garp wanted Luffy and Ace to be marines, it's entirely possible he was much more hands on in raising Dragon, which accidentally pushed Dragon away from the marines by giving him a close look at the things Garp himself wishes he could change but lacks the power structure to enact.

I'm thinking Dragon's change might have to do with Luffy's mom in some way.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

So my girlfriend has been going through One Piece for the first time over the past couple of months, and it's been fun revisiting the series and essentially binging it with her and revisiting a lot of little details I had forgotten about in the almost 20 years I've been following this.

We're a little over half-way through Impel Down, and I thought the thread might enjoy her thoughts since outside of Dragon Ball, the Miyazaki movies, the OG pokemon cartoon, and Cowboy Bebop, she's pretty lukewarm on anime as a whole. Some highlights

-She's really into the show so far. She likes that's it's 'silly a lot and doesn't take itself too seriously.' And she feels like that makes the characters more fun and relatable and feels like it earns it's dramatic moments.

-Chopper is her favorite Straw Hat, then after that Zoro and Nami. She wasn't too into Robin at first, but came around to her around Ennis Lobby.

-She was baffled when I told her that at the time, there was a big contention of whether Franky or Paulie was going to join the straw hats. She said it was obvious Paulie didn't fit the straw hat mold.

-Her favorite moment so far has been Duval's initial reveal

-At some point she discovered the 4Kids dub and has been low-key fascinated/obsessed with it ever since

-She despises Law. Every time he'd come on screen she'd complain and ask when 'the guy in the Pick Up Artist Hat' was going to go away. I didn't have the heart to tell her she'd need to get used to him, but I have a feeling she'll come around to him on Dressrosa like most of us did.

-She insists on not skipping any filler. Since I haven't seen a lot of it, I have to say most of it isn't terrible, and I'd honestly prefer these little filler arcs versus the stretched out episodes we're about to get too.

Those are the main takeaways. I'm honestly a bit suprised she took to it like she did, other anime shows I've showed her her responses were rather tepid, but I'll come home to find her watching the show of her own merit, so I guess there's just something about OP that clicks with people, or at least her.

I've always been of the opinion that One Piece is the closest thing to a perfectly balanced shonen as we're ever going to get. It just has an amazing balance of action, adventure, comedy, and drama all sprinkled in equal portions across all arcs.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There is also the Okama Karate.

Okama Kenpo and Newkama Kenpo. There's also the styles of the long arm and long leg guy from the Dressrossa arc the Hapou Navy Kung-fu.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

drjuggalo posted:

the vibration poo poo sai used was different from the long leg/arm fighting styles. we havent seen a specific long limbed fighting style yet

Yeah I know. I meant that we've seen a bunch of different styles.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There has been the running theme that all of Usopp's old tall tales keep on coming true as he adventures through the Grand Line, he's even said that he's become able to do things he used to only boast about.

I love that, especially the one about a Giant Goldfish who poops islands.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bleck posted:

if Elbaf is a kingdom of giants, how, like, big is it

Big.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

AkumaHokoru posted:

every character doesnt need to be memorable. people wouldnt be able to name all of gallery la or the people in usopps hometown or the lower ranked people in brouge town ect ect ect.

Peeply Lulu, Tilestone, and Paulie. The Franky Family is much harder since there were more name characters so I only remember the easy ones like the Square Sister Kiwi and Mozu, the King Bulls Sodom and Gomorrah, and the Kairiki Destroyers. I'd need to read the arc again to remember everyone else, but their designs I very much remember along with their backstories, just not the names.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not like One Piece doesn't love to introduce one-off characters with unique designs, fighting styles and superpowers. Hell, Zoro lost one of his swords to a character who never had any lines and didn't appear before or since.

I remember that part. Guy was a captain and had the Rust Fruit. That's all I remember.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Other way around. Kitetsu's swords are weaker the later he made them, with Kitetsu I being the strongest (and possibly in the hands of the Gorosei*) and considered one of the greatest swords in the world, in the ranks of Mihawk's sword.

*The gorosei member with the sword, the one he was holding has the same guard and handle design as every other Kitetsu.

I think Shiryu might've had one as well.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

I doubt he'll get all three. Kuina's sword is too character-important and Ryoma's sword is too plot-important.

This. I've always been of the thought that each sword represents a burden or dream he carries.

Wado Ichimonji: His promise to Kuina and the dream to be the greatest swordsman.

Shuusui: Ryuma's legacy and a successor blade to Yubashiri which was gifted to him to carry the dream of adventure forward by the sword seller.

Sandai Kitetsu: The idea of his luck, fate, and destiny being more powerful that the swords curse along with a similar thing as Yubashiri. Seems to be his "personal" sword as it's the one he seems to go to first such as the time he was stuck in a chimney him asking Chopper for that one in specific as he could, "sense it". With this in mind, it would not surprise me if he upgrades his Kitetsu to one of the better grade ones.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ManSedan posted:

This arc has been great so far but oh boy I’m confused. I have questions, but I’ll start with a simple one.

Can somebody please explain to me all the rankings of these swords? Which ones does Zoro have and where did he get them? Who else has known ranked swords?

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Meito#50_Ryo_Wazamono_Grade_Swords

1. Supreme Grade

2. Great Grade

3. Skillful Grade

4. Grade

Shuusui and Wado Ichimonji are both Great Grade while his Kitetsu is simply Grade. Yubashiri was a Skillful Grade by the way.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

And the numbers.

1. Supreme Grade. 12

2. Great Grade. 21

3. Skillful Grade. 50

4. Grade. Undetermined, seems to be any notable named sword that was not good enough to get in the higher ranks.

There's also unlisted ones like Law's blade, Cavendish's blade Durandal, and Hawkins's sword. All of those are rather unique and seem to be of high quality.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Crasical posted:

This tickles my funnybone for some reason. The world's most powerful swordsman in his spooky crumbling gothic castle, sitting back in a high-backed chair behind a desk in a study with quill pen and ink just penning inane old-lady letters to the editor about swords he's seen lately.

I could also see him doing that for fine wines as well given that he's been shown drinking a glass a few times. That would actually be great character for him I feel like.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Rigged Death Trap posted:

They call him hawkeye because he spots good swords from miles away. Itd be funny if he turns out to be a bigger sword (and wine) nerd than Tashigi

"Finely forged, however the grain patterns indicate this is a sword for finer work rather than brute force, which it would crack then break under. Pair with a good West Blue Merlot. Remember, a good swordsman is habitually drunk."

No joke, one of the low key best moments in the series was when Mihawk casually walked up to Shanks to discuss Luffy's bounty and Shank's and his main crew don't even react like it's not a big deal and not worth them even getting up for. After what we'd seen of Mihawk, that scene just sold how badass Shanks and crew were.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I had a similar problem with Big Cake and I think it's that too many characters have similar titles(Samurai, Son #, Daughter#) and it makes it harder to keep up. Like I know who they are, but the names escape me.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
...Well gently caress. That's a pretty hosed up set of circumstances to be in now.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RatHat posted:

Seems like Drake has some sort of ulterior motive towards Kaido, since he intentionally sought him out and now he’s letting Law go. Maybe just wants to kill him but realized when he met Kaido that it’d be impossible even with a few supernovas so now he’s waiting for an opportunity? Also since Hawkins isn’t working for Kaido voluntarily he’ll probably help out once the raid starts.

Also Big Mom is totally going to betray Kaido, she probably thinks this is a good opportunity to get rid of Kaido and the Strawhats at the same time.

I could see this being a thing. Not really quite sure how I'd feel about it. Feels too predictable.

This. What happened and where the hell did THAT come from?

Eiba posted:

I like how the whole chapter is a review of the surprisingly optimistic situation. The rebellion has come so far, we've met so many people who want to help, and it really seems like there's actually a path to victory for the first time in this grim arc.

And then there's that final page.

One Piece has generally been very good about power levels. You get a good sense of how these things break down. And this is the payoff.

Beating Kaidou as a team was almost inconceivable. Now there's just no hope of victory at all and we're suddenly thrust back into anxious dispair. It's great.

(The obvious hope is breaking up the Kaidou/Big Mom alliance, but that shouldn't be your first thought on seeing them ally.)

Same. All is going well and then out of nowhere bitchslap.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MonsterEnvy posted:

They're mad about the cast of Dragon Ball reading some erotic fanfiction in the booth at some point in the past. (May in fact be 2001) The audio was leaked out, and some people are taking offence at private joke, and saying they should be fired and stuff.

Read about it on Resetera. If it was recent then yeah that would be controversial, but it wasn't. It was from circa 2001 or 2002. Crass and offensive as it was(and still is), that poo poo was EVERYWHERE and no one batted an eye about it. Obviously it's not cool, but it was a radically different time and culture about a lot of things that we've THANKFULLY moved on from.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bleck posted:

like, have we, though

To a much greater extent compared to back then I'd say it's a resounding yes. Obviously it's not perfect, but compared to back then it's clear that saying certain words is considered a big loving no no.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

U-DO Burger posted:

well poo poo, that really sucks

it's a rotten experience to learn people you like enjoy using slurs when they think no one's listening. regardless of the clip's age, i can see why that would piss people off

Last thoughts on this, but given the age of the clip I wouldn't put much thought if any on it. Like I said, that poo poo was EVERYWHERE(sadly). You'd likely hear WORSE stuff in school yards. That's how normalized it was back then. If they haven't grown up from that poo poo then yeah it's a problem, but otherwise an apology, acknowledgement of its wrongness, and promise of improvement should suffice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RatHat posted:

Seems like Drake has some sort of ulterior motive towards Kaido, since he intentionally sought him out and now he’s letting Law go. Maybe just wants to kill him but realized when he met Kaido that it’d be impossible even with a few supernovas so now he’s waiting for an opportunity? Also since Hawkins isn’t working for Kaido voluntarily he’ll probably help out once the raid starts.

Also Big Mom is totally going to betray Kaido, she probably thinks this is a good opportunity to get rid of Kaido and the Strawhats at the same time.

[spoiler]Drake has ALWAYS been a wildcard to me given his past as a Marine and I'm curious about how it'll pan out and what exactly he knows about things.