Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This beta's only lasting until tomorrow anyways. I didn't get a key, but I'm too busy to play right now anyways. It's nice to hear that the game is fun though. I'm really looking forward to the open/Steam pre-order beta and the full release. Gonna bash the gently caress out of some rats. :getin:

I'm sure the developers have a DLC plan for the game going ahead and I think I heard somewhere they'd be adding more classes at some point. I'd love a warrior-priest, but I hope they add an actual Rat Catcher. Those dudes fight Skaven in sewers for a living so they'd be perfect for this. They also have batshit murder-terriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

A Warhammer game where you fight Skaven and you don't play as a Ratcatcher with your little but vicious dog?

I'm hoping that's going to at least be a DLC.
Yeah, I already mentioned that that's the class I'd love to see the most. Wanna see a terrier take down a stormvermin. :smugdog:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just played a few games with pubbies and while I was able to get through the Horn of Magnus and sewer level just fine, they can not seem to grasp the idea of the grain level. As soon as we get to the sacks they split off thinking they'll just grab a sack each and get done with it quick. It's obvious that the idea is to stay together while transporting one, maybe two sacks at a time back to cart. Nope.

They also seem to love fighting rat ogres inside of houses for some reason. This is a bad idea. Do not do this.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you think sword/axe/whatever and shield is a bit light, give that dude a two-handed weapon. I liked the dwarf with a shield, but taking two swipes to kill even a slave got kind of old. Then I got out the soldier's two-handed hammer. :getin: All of your attacks are armor-piercing with that thing so you're the go-to guy for stormvermin. The dwarf's two-handed axe is the same way.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

They both scream a lot and talk about beer. So pretty similar.
Ah, but the dwarf sings.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BadLlama posted:

They could make so much money of a tf2 hat system they would be retarded not to do a customization thing.
The collector's edition comes with hats :eng101:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Why is the repeater pistol so bad and why does the game keep punishing me by giving me them?
All I get are elf weapons so I finally gave in and tried her. She's actually pretty good. :shepface:

That said, goddamnit game, give me a sword/axe/hammer with a shield. Soldier or dwarf, I don't care at this point. :argh:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He even starts with 1d10 dead rats. :allears:

This is the class I want the most. Just some scruffy peasant who's seen this poo poo before schooling folks on rat lore while beating skaven to death with a stick. The Small but Vicious Dog could even be directed to go after specific enemies with that special attack button no one but the Witch Hunter uses. It, of course, would be an invincible murder-terrier.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

She also drives a Vampire Count black coach.

No she doesn't, it's just a big coach. Drawn by spectral steeds enchanted by a wizard.

If it was a Black Coach there'd be a coffin with a temporarily dead vampire in it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The wizard tower is full of old John Blanche Warhammer art :3:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GaistHeidegger posted:

Well, there's your response on the rat catcher.
Doesn't mean one won't be added in later. Let me dream. :gbsmith:

Chaitai posted:

Was a wipe before release confirmed or not? Just wondering if that "unauthorized access to the back end server" thing necessitated one or not.
I think they did a rollback to a previous state so there won't be a full-blown wipe.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The books aren't on GW's site, but on Black Library's instead. That's their publishing wing. The fiction e-books are still too expensive, but not $30-$50 like the books for the actual games. Of course, there are also digital versions of those rulebooks and they're also on Black Library to confuse the matter. GW is bad at a lot of things.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

No one responded when I asked before, but I THINK if you eliminate a roaming stormvermin troop before an end sequence you won't get any of them spawned at the end.
I don't think that's the case. Hell, I've even seen two patrols in the same level before. We killed them both and still got some during the finale on Horn of Magnus.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

Which CTS channel are folks in?

The Vermintide one..?

:v:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The witch hunter's repeater pistol is pretty much hot garbage. I have an orange one with 50% more rounds per clip, a chance at knockback, and 50% reload. I have only unlocked the extra rounds per clip because it cost 1 blue whatever and figured I'd give it another shot after a green pistol failed to impress. Even on normal it needs two shots to kill a clanrat though it'll one-shot slaves. That said, its special attack, unloading the clip all at once, has surprisingly decent range and with 12 rounds will straight-up delete a special or stormvermin. I'm just not sure that's worth it over the dual pistols or crossbow. I even ran it with a two-handed sword that has a 20% to give you ammo on a kill. I thought that'd be a small percentage, but nah it's just 20% at a single bullet. It doesn't even come close to mitigating the ammo consumption of the repeater pistol.

Now, the soldier's repeater handgun? :allears: That's my only other orange and I love that thing.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dezztroy posted:

It works just like you described in your post.

Put sword in, sword comes out.

Put five swords in, sword comes out. Put four swords and a repeater pistol in, repeater pistol comes out. :negative:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Am I missing something about the beam staff? The shotgun blast left-click is fine, but I'm not convinced by the right-click beam. It just doesn't seem to do enough damage to specials. You can left-click while channeling the beam for a little explosion, but that's not enough either. It'll one-shot a clan rat though specials take three to four blasts so you're probably better off just using the beam the whole time.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to see a halberd for Kruber since that is one of the most iconic weapons of the Empire. There's nothing else like that in the current weapon pool.

Fans posted:

A burning torch for Flame Damage. Maybe with a stake in the other hand for impaling things that won't stay dead.
"Brought my vampire hunting gear to a skaven fight. It'll have to do."

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

then they all high five and have a beer.
Except the elf.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Grondoth posted:

She drinks hella strong wine instead.
In a corner. Alone.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Godmachine posted:

Has the game progressed beyond "CATI BP RUN!!1" yet? Literally the only time I was able to play non-BP maps with goons was the first day I bought this grindfest.
I just did a bunch of non-Black Powder runs with goons. Just try asking in the group chat or join a group and see if anyone's actually interested in playing the game.

I will freely admit that I've spent some time cheesin' it too. :v:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gimnbo posted:

These packmasters are getting clever.
We're all hosed. There's no way to match their pole technology.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Daemon Slayer had another one of those great bits from the 2nd edition RPG, There is only one way to end this career :black101:

I'd love to see a slayer in this game, but their options would be pretty limited.
Melee: Great axe, dual axes, single axe(?)
Ranged: Throwing axes (and even that may be stretching it)
Hats/Hair: A series of increasingly tall and ridiculous mohawks (nothing wrong with this)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dwarf - Axe and shield with either a handgun or drakefire pistols.
Soldier - two-handed hammer and repeater handgun (specifically an exotic) or regular handgun. Good with a shield too.
Elf - Sword and dagger and longbow. That bow is really the only option.
Wizard - Conflagration staff and really any of the melee options. The fire sword is the coolest though.
Witch Hunter - Rapier and pistols or crossbow. The two-handed sword is good, but the rapier is unique and rules.

Honestly, the soldier with a two-handed hammer and an exotic repeater handgun is my favorite loadout in the entire game. He is a goddamned one man wrecking crew. :getin:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

Is it a glitch that when someone has a grimoire I hear the wet smack book-eyeballs blinking louder than any other sound, forever, whether the grimoire is out or not?
Yes. That's kind of hilarious though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to see more bright and sunny maps like Wheat and Chaff. Not every apocalypse has to be gloomy. :sun:

Obviously the characters are probably moving around under the cover of darkness for a bunch of reasons. Wheat and Chaff is just prettier. That is the only nice thing I have to say about that map.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

There's one story in one of the warhammer books somewhere where a Gutter Runner breaks into an Imperial costume ball to try to assassinate a noble, gets spotted, but people assume he's in costume. So he just goes along with it and goes and gets hammered and steals the cheese tray.

Skaven are the best.
I think that's in one of the Gotrek and Felix books. Everyone at the party is so trashed and he just plays along. It's adorable. :3:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

The Packmaster is an even bigger fucker on Nightmare because you can't shoot through his hostage.
Sure you can, you just need target penetration. :getin:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think they could mix up enemy types as long as they didn't worry about 1:1 comparisons. For greenskins, goblins could replace slaves/clanrats easily enough while orcs would be the equivalent of 2-3 clanrats. At least in health if not in damage. Black orcs could be like two stormvermin each. Enemy numbers would of course have to be tweaked to compensate for all of the changes. They'd also have to worry about spawn points since an orc isn't going to clamber out of a hole in the wall and nimbly climb down like your average skaven. I'm sure something could be worked out.

On this subject, I seem to remember the devs saying they were working on some chaos-themed enemies. Marauders and chaos warriors would make for some scary opponents if they're given the right stats.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

A bunch of snotlings in a large coat. Posing as a goblin.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Rat-Catcher :colbert:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'll admit that part of why I want the rat-catcher is because I grew up with a Jack Russell Terrier. That little bastard was smart as hell, loyal to a fault, but a complete and utter little jackass when he knew he could get away with it. I am a glutton for punishment and want another when I finally get the time. The best worst best dogs. :3:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 23, 2015

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tommofork posted:

The artists need to be shot. It's the guy on the back of the griffons that carries a big hammer, not the griffons themselves.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was kind of worried when I saw that the shrine took like 60 ore to get an item down to specifically melee or ranged. Then I melted down some weapons and each gave 20+ ore instead of the 1-5(?) they did before. Ok, I can work with this.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

There's the Warhammer Fantasy thread. I'm sure they/we would appreciate someone talking about when Warhammer wasn't (as) stupid. Or you can dehumanize yourself and face to the Bad Thread.

No, no, the 40k thread is the Bad thread. The Death thread is just the Death thread. Maybe sometimes the Ugly.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

Well it sure isn't the Good Thread.
I don't think that exists anymore. If it ever did.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I am a big fan of Kruber's two-handed hammer. It is easily my favorite melee weapon in the game because it just does so much. Regular attacks pulp single targets and charged attacks knock over entire waves of skaven. It even ignores armor regardless of which attack is used. His ranged weapons are more of a toss-up for me. Personally, I like the repeater handgun (a lot of that is probably simply the traits on mine), but the handgun is also very good. I haven't touched the coach gun since release so can't comment on it. I don't remember it being all that great though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea you could block while reviving. Huh. How about that.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Syrnn posted:

All right, Vermintide: You roll a d6 and I roll a d6 and we stop when you win to see how many extra hits I... Oh. You rolled a six. I guess take 2 S4 hits. :smith:

Conflagration of Doom, everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Kruber's ability to carry a giant goddamned hammer AND a handgun is why he is the hero the Empire needs and deserves.
:colbert:

I wish Kruber had a halberd though. Maybe with the elf getting a spear we might see something like that down the line. It is basically THE iconic state troop weapon.

• Locked thread