Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I got a chance to play a few rounds when it was open on Friday. The melee combat felt really, really good. I particularly liked the 2-handed hammer, as both its overhead swings and horizontal swipes felt like they had real weight behind them. I can see myself playing this for a while, but I worry about how long the community will stick around if they don't put in verses mode, much stronger loot, or just continously release new content patches.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

From the gameplay I've seen, the levels with a lot of skaven architecture/machinery should be pretty incredible. The only thing I don't like so far is the lack of enemy variety. It feels like you have a pretty standard regular/hunter/spitter/smoker/tank spread of enemies along with the rather unique ratling gunners and the elite patrols. Tanks/hordes only make for an interesting level climax so many times. I hope they have some unique bosses or gimmicks in the later levels.

They have said that there are some special skaven that they haven't shown off yet. I hope that we get some kind of Skaven caster, as that would have a lot of possibilities and could distinguish the game from L4D a bit.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
It also cools down much, much faster if you don't go beyond the initial white marks on the bar. The bright wizard system works pretty well, it's just infuriating to figure out initially.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Which is understandable since it the game just flops them they're not going to stick with it, but I'd like to hear more of a sense of "yeah we hope we can turn this poo poo into our golden goose for idiots to feed us money forever as we give them a trickle of fancy hats" because gently caress I'd be all over that.

Then again my friend's viewpoint is "cash-in game" which, really, I can't blame him, since its a warhammer game, and the dev's last noteworthy thing was Lead and Gold, which wound up rotting in a stinky ditch fairly quick after release.

I don't think they have a choice, they are self publishing, assuming all of the risk, and they doubled the studio size for it's development. I strongly suspect that If it flops, the studio closes. The other thing that gives me hope is they have said that the 30 dollar price tag was deliberately undervalued in hopes of luring the largest possible playerbase. That indicates their plan is paid dlc and plenty of it.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Skandranon posted:

I think I saw in one of the Tips it mention the name of the specific clan that is attacking Ubersriek. Don't remember the name, but it wasn't the big 4. They may have created a "Skaven Undivided" type clan to allow for having both rat ogres, globe throwers, and gutter runners all at once.

In the bio for the pack master.

"Packmasters are Clan Moulder troops tasked with driving packs of ravening beasts into battle, using whips and intimidation to spur their charges into a frenzy of teeth and claws. However, the Packmasters hired by Clan Fester in their assault on Ubersreik, are predominantly equipped with things-catchers, a pole arm designed to incapacitate opponents by strangulation.

It is still unknown why Clan Fester has paid the extra warpstone tokens for this somewhat unusual specialization."

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I noticed on wednesday that they had tuned down the witches cooldown to pretty crazy levels (like you could keep a pretty consistent rhythm of fireballs going without issue), but yeah a few of the staves felt lackluster.

The beam staff in particular felt really weak to me (though fun to use). To kill one special skaven, even in normal, I would have to point it at their head and hold it there for several seconds, long enough that it would put me about 70% of the way to exploding. Given this staff seems pretty much designed to kill specials, this seems pretty pathetic especially compared to the crossbows or handguns which can drop anything other than a Rogre in a single headshot. Though the flip side is the beam-staff also had the shotgun like blast as it''s primary attack. It seems hard to balance the bright wizards ranged since each staff is effectively two different abilities.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Excelsiortothemax posted:

When is the open beta again?

The preorder beta will be at least one week before release, so the 16th at the latest. There may be another short beta for people who already have codes before that.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Kamikaze Raider posted:

According to the Vermintide twitter account, there will be one more closed beta before the prerelease.

https://twitter.com/VermintideGame/status/652344666948567040

That may be the case, but as of right now, we have no way of knowing if that is what's going to happen. I am sure that some maps will be played more than others, because that's just how things like that work out, but I think it may be a little premature to say that people are just going to hammer one level over and over again for loot.

Some of us actually enjoyed the game and aren't really interested in min/maxing. Whether or not you believe this represents a minority or majority opinion is your call. What it's going to come down to is if they have enough of a player base.

Just checked the forums, the last closed beta will be on the 14th and 15th then the open beta will open on the 16th.

As far as people only playing 1-4 different maps, I expect that will happen. Honestly I can't think of a game where the community didn't settle on a small handful of maps to play ad naseum. But since this is a coop game, the best solution is to get a friend group together and then play whatever maps you wish.

also

quote:

All current progress will be wiped before the 14th.

All progress after the 15th will be wiped before the Pre-order beta on the 16th

Our goal is to avoid wiping progress again after the Pre-order beta launches, we will only wipe progress from the Pre-order beta should a severe issue arise that forces us to do so.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Skandranon posted:

The headsets probably are just vanity, the trinkets I expect have some effect, but no idea what.

No, the collectors edition trinkets and the hats are entirely cosmetic. They said they didn't want to put in anything that could be considered pay to win.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Dezztroy posted:

New missions are pretty fun! One of them ends with a L4D2 style scavenger hunt.

Also, man, getting the "max targets hit" animation with a charged greatsword swing is the best feeling. So many limbs go flying.

The market mission's really great. I wasn't feeling the sewer level at all, probably because it's another drat sewer level.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the shield is actually pretty drat powerful; its charge attack doesnt do much damage, but the knockback plus huge range means you can really lock down a lot of foes.

the ability to just block so long forever doesnt hurt either. you can even block bullets (for a very limited duration)

Stamina gets more important with each difficulty level up. You can get though the lower levels without using block or push if you feel like it. I suspect that at least one shield user will be standard for nightmare and cataclysm runs.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Skandranon posted:

Woo, got a blue trinket which gives +50% luck, which I assume affects dice rolls. I hope this current incarnation sticks through to release, as I like getting better dice rolls.

I think that luck influences the items you find in level and skaven spawns. In other words, it make the AI director nicer or meaner. I could be wrong, but I think that is what makes cursed dice cursed, they lower your luck (and thus slightly increase the difficulty) for the rest of the level.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Dezztroy posted:

My favorite is when pubbies rush to the guardhouse without checking any of the loot spawns. And then they all die because no one decided to pick up the three medkits you marked and pointed out in chat repeatedly. :v:

At which point they will blame you for lagging behind. This kind of thing happens in every map, but The Horn of Magnus is the absolute worst for this since the dock area at the start is always filthy with of health, potions, and bombs. Yet, 9 times out of 10 people will run right though without bothering pick up any of it.

President Ark posted:

They might be the biggest and meanest members of the species, but they're still <5 foot tall rats with squeaky voices. :v:

It's the Mike Tyson paradox.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Dryb posted:

Have they stated the number of maps that will be available at release?

13, I believe. With individual maps being a mix of the full length maps and the 15 min lunch break maps.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Careful with Grims though. They are super tempting, but let's not forget that pubbies are generally both bad players as well as bad people, and you get nothing but regret if you fail the mission.

This is important, generally you want to evaluate how everyone else is playing before going for a grimoire. The penalties are pretty steep, and if your allies are bad you are probably better off just skipping them.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I got the GMG code for an extra 25 percent off and bought the preorder at 20 bucks. I won't get to sit down and play until thursday evening though. If I'm a hitty hitty smashy smashy kind of player, would the Dwarf be a good fit?

Sure, but if you like to smash poo poo you might want to try starting with the soldier as his starting weapon, a two-handed hammer, crushes skulls and can several rats flying with one huge swing.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Interesting reply from the AMA, when someone asked if they were planning on adding more Skaven enemies.

fatshark CEO posted:

More Skavens yes, as well as other races.

They also said that practice targets in the inn are something that is in development, however it's a extremely low development priority with improved optimization and bug fixes being #1 for right now.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Night10194 posted:

Holy poo poo, the Soldier's handgun is so much better than his Blunderbuss. I wasted a Packmaster and a Gutter Runner in a single shot. They shouldn't have lined up like that.

Blunderbuss is probably in the top 3 for worst weapon in the game (I would say that hag bow and and possibly swift bow are worst). Luckily both the hand gun and the repeater are excellent, once you finally get one of them.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Astus posted:

Speaking of Loot Rats, has anyone ever seen them actually escape? Normally the loot rats I see scamper along at a slow pace, and eventually get stuck walking in place somehow. If you leave them alive long enough, do they just vanish?

They will. I don't think they have to escape the map, but rather they just despawn if if you let them get far enough away from the group.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The first mutation ever released will be Packed With Rats and it will replaced every normal Skaven with a Packmaster

It's called the "Clan Moulder Strikes Back" nothing but packmasters and rat ogres.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Rookersh posted:

The dwarf is so good, because it seems like he has a song for every map.

Which makes the Elf even more of a bummer, because she stops him half the time.

Earlier today I got this.

"EVERYONE, I HAVE THE PERFECT SONG FOR THIS OCCASION."

"Lets hear it Dwarf"

"YELLS A SONG IN DWARFISH"

*Kruber joins in*

Kruber and Bardin being end of the world buddies might be my favorite part of the game. I also love the exchange that is something to the effect of

Bardin: Kruber, you and I, we're like (obsure names)

Kruber: Thanks Goreksson, Though I have no idea who they are.

Bardin: Heros of old. Stood against an endless tide of Greenskins.

Kruber, Bardin, and BW are all really fun characters. Saltzpyre is at least the funny kind of curmudgeonly rear end in a top hat. Kerillian does nothing but complain and talk about how great she is.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Captain Oblivious posted:

I still can't get an Exotic drop to save my life for Kruber, but I found something better.

It's loving magnificent.

That amazing.

I've also seen the soldier being a terrible gambler referenced in the in game dialog, the characters talk about how Kruber is currently flat broke after Olesya robbed him blind playing cards.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
So after playing a bit I understanding is that the following weapons are complete garbage and should never be uses. Is there anything about them that I am missing/misunderstand?

WH:
Repeater pistol: Just plain outclasses by brace of pistols. No real purpose.

Elf:
Swiftbow: Damage is simply too low to be worthwhile.
Hagbow: The AOE DOT is to both too small and too weak to be useful. Seems to be in a weird place where an AOE suggests it is for hordes, but the DOT ends up killing them much slower than other weapons.

Dwarf:
Grudgeraker: Given the game is melee focused, shotguns already have reduced purpose compared to other FPS. Additionally, the opportunity cost of taker the Grudgeraker means giving up the ability to influence a fight more than 2 yards away unless you use a bomb. This is a huge problem when, for example, a packmaster grabs a teammate and you can't do anything about it other than hope someone else saves them or slowly run after them.

Soldier:
Blunderbuss: Same problem as the Grudgeraker. The BW's shotgun staff avoids this since it has the beam as a secondary fire.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, I kinda think a Sea Guard captain might make the most sense. You could get a wide variety of weapons (including bows/javelins) on them, unlike White Lions and Sword Masters, who tend to stick to narrow selections.

I also strongly suspect that the inevitable high elf character will be a sea guard for just this reason. The devs implied pretty strongly that the mixed of ranged and melee was the reason they made the dwarf a ranger instead of the much more popular slayer.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

victrix posted:

Is there any chance of major expansions like that, or are they going to be hamstrung by insane gw licensing?

They said that when they started development they had plans for bigger scope game, with more races and enemy types, but decided to narrow it down to skaven to focus development resources. In the AMA they heavily implied that chaos enemies are currently in the works. It sounds like they can do what they want so long as it doesn't directly contract lore.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok, Dumb Question.

Does holding the charge on melee swings increase damage? Or is it full damage once its ready to release?

I don't think we know for sure, but I believe holding the charge longer doesn't do anything except for BW staffs which gain AOE the longer you charge.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

ChickenHeart posted:

The Ratogre needs the ability to hurl unwilling clanrats at distant players.

I swear that the developer said the rat ogre could do this in one of the streams. Maybe they took it out for some reason.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Al Borland posted:

So how is age of sigmar selling? Like hotcakes? Somehow I doubt it.

http://www.iii.co.uk/news-opinion/richard-beddard/games-workshop-agm%3A-relentless-profit-machine

It's not specifically about Age of Sigmar, but here is a report on a Game Workshop investor conference written by someone who doesn't play or collect and so is neutral. His conclusions are basically exactly what you would expect. GW doesn't give a poo poo about any customers except the $1000+ a year whales. GW doesn't see any need to try and grow their brand beyond this small group of highly profitable individuals. GW regards alternate revenue streams such as licensing as a distraction. Finally, GW may be profitable now, but they are basically eating their seed corn.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

rezatahs posted:

Yeah I'm sure they are really feeling that relentless pressure to turn their coop pve game into some sort of mmorpg-lite with "endgame content"

Hope you can resist Fatshark! :ohdear:

They have already said that the first major DLC will be about "endgame content". But they also repeatedly said that a major design goal is not to make high end loot mandatory. So who knows.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

xthetenth posted:

Yep there's a death knight of morr helmet.

Kruber's entire regiment was wiped out by a necromancer casting Purple Sun. I'm pretty sure Kruber personally gutted the bastard.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

ArkInBlack posted:

It might be just a feeling, but I thought using one made you move slightly faster than if you had a two hander or sword and board.

They said that in the description on the website, but I don't think it is true. The single sword does have a different heavy attack if nothing else.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

Is this true for sorceress rightclick+leftclick aoe balls too?

Some of the bright wizards staffs are an exception to this. They increase their AOE the longer that they are charged. However, the damage itself remains constant.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Does the rat ogre have multiple hitboxes or does he just take equal damage everywhere?

Headshots do more, of course. Otherwise, I think it's the same all over.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Digirat posted:

Then her attitude is "xbox live teenager".

I swear, this has to be what they were deliberately going for. One of the exchanges I've heard after Bardin kills an Ogre with a headshot.

Bardin (excited): "Did you see that?! Right through the Ogre's eye it went! Oh, oh, What a shot!"

Elf (whiny and sulky voice): "Don't get true proud. It's not like it takes any skill to use that weapon."

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

omg chael crash posted:

This comes out tomorrow for me -- give me some tips!

Stay together as a group, watch each others backs, and help incapacitated allies. Do these things and everything else will go fine (pubbies always run off alone).

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Yardbomb posted:

They've said that they retooled the loot system again for II and you'll get stuff specifically for your character and career, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

"The completely revamped loot system ties rewards to the hero and career you are currently playing. Combining a vast number of weapons and accessories with a wide range of properties and traits, you'll be able to seriously tinker with character builds."

I wonder how easy it will be to jump between classes and characters? Between leveling up loot, traits, and the game only giving you loot for the character you are using,it sounds like you are going to be more or less locked into playing a particular character as you move up in the games difficulty.

BadLlama posted:

I want to be a DE with a repeater crossbow.

Nice call. I'm amused Kerrilian is such a rear end in a top hat, she started worshiping Khaine and turned into a DE.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 19, 2017

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Also worth noting in the stream someone asked if weapons were sharable between the careers for a given character. The response was generally yes, but not every career uses every weapons. Example given, a shield is not something a slayer would ever use. The implied corollary being that ranger and iron breaker Bardin could both be able to share the same shield/one hander combo.

It occurred to me part of the reason they went the career route for existing characters rather than just adding new characters is the nightmare of writing and recording dialog for 15 people in different permutations of 4 as compared to 5.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Night10194 posted:

Black Guard of Morr are the knights of the God of death. They guard larger cemeteries and temples and hunt down vampires. They're specifically notable for being knights who are fully willing to use crossbows, longbows, and guns even in their full armor because gently caress getting close to a vampire, he's got all the cards in that game.

Yeah, Knights of Morr are known for being creepy weirdos (and they probably smell terrible), but they are unquestionably good guys who will show up to battles and save they day. They are probably not getting invited to the after party, even so.

Unchained Sienna sounds fun. I'm 100% down to play as an old lady strung out on a magic PCP high.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 1, 2017

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Night10194 posted:

Also this voice cast already has demonstrably good chemistry.

Which is funny, since I would bet money they did all their recording independently.

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah like as novel as a new lineup would be, I really like the characters we have and am completely fine with more outta them.

Agreed. Fatshark has commented the degree to which players connected with the characters as one of the things they were really pleased with, and one of the reasons they decided on bring them all back. Another reason sited was that they liked the way the group consisted of misfits that for the most don't like each other much.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Kruber's careers are up. In additional to the knight, he can be...

A mercenary (his versatile class)

A right wing survivalist (woodsman, ranged focused).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
His huntsman bio specifically mentions that particular Kruber is now a raging alcoholic. I wonder if that will show up in dialog.

• Locked thread