Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

It might be that Michael was the only Prime to reincarnate as a Prime, while the others further splintered into lesser shards of the Cold White Flame that are the bulk of present-day angels. But yeah, I'm pretty sure that angels only die (and go up a numbered prefix) when they're slain in the Void, and the destruction of their physical vessels is just a serious inconvenience, like getting evicted from a house or apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

SunAndSpring posted:

I think that you either have to get your armor fixed (such as when Allison removed the needle from 82's face after Delicious ganked her) or wait for ages to get reincarnated. Note how 2 Michael doesn't seem to be wearing armor, meaning he stuck it out and got his real body back, and the other Primes are still reforming after getting owned, both in Throne and in the Void. Judging from the fact that there's a bunch of broken Root Knight armor in the Concordance, I'm guessing one of the Laws the angels follow prohibits them from fixing their own armor or some poo poo, and that Thorns and Petals don't really give a poo poo. At least that's my thoughts. Probably off the mark in some way. I wonder if Abaddon will clarify it in the future or explain it outside of the comic.

As I understand it, there's a huge taboo against an angel fixing or reshaping their armor in any way. Changing the armor changes the shape of the angel wearing it over time, which is why Michael was frothing about White Chain's attachment to the world 'corrupting' her, and why Thorn Knights look like :black101: lava skeletons (note that they've all torn off their own wings). Text accompanying earlier updates mentioned angels being "alloyed to the corrupting influence of infinity through reincarnation", so it seems like "going native" is an actual threat to Concordance dogma, which Michael deals with by banishing any angel that becomes too human, or outright killing them if he thinks they're too far gone and need to start over.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Tangential, I can't believe I only just got the secret message in Cio's name.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

chiefnewo posted:

I'm a big dumb, please spoil it for me.

Ciocie Cioelle.

See-oh-see-ay See-oh-ell-ay.

C-O-C-A C-O-L-A

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

So I noticed that Vladok's pipe is also his walking stick. This was in the comic over a month ago but I feel the need to bring it up because seriously it's just a great little detail.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

...uh-oh. Now everyone there knows Allison has a Key of Kings and not a leystone :ohdear:

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Man, Vladok looks hosed-up when he's angry. Some sort of Xenomorph-esque arrangement, except with entire faces instead of just the mouth.

e: also love that Allison's going all :ssj: as she sings.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

I like the panel where the music visibly stops dead cold and literally everyone , including the other demons, is just :stonk:

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

A.o.D. posted:

Wait a sec, panel 3 has at least two separate demons with Rakshasa hands.

Make that three.

They don't have backwards hands, they're just giving Vladok a thumbs-down.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

...hhhuh. So I just noticed: the alt-text for this page introduces "Vladok, Grandfather of Dhuutholmel". Flash forward ten pages and hey. Dhuutholmel.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

paradoxGentleman posted:

-What do the Thorns want, exactly? They are an accepted faction amongst angels, and 06 Juggernaut had some vaguely nihilist plans, but it's not clear how much of them are the angel's personal plan and how much is their faction's.

Mainstream Concordance angels (or at least 2 Michael) believe that a rekindling of universal war, and the ultimate extinction of the world, is inevitable, and the best thing to do is wait it out in the Void so they can see if the new world is any better. Thorn Knights believe that these things are not only inevitable, but desirable, and seek to hasten them along because existence in general and human life in particular are too messy for their sensibilities.

quote:

-What authority do the angels have, since the authority that created them is now little more than part of the architecture?

A new Law was agreed upon when the Demiurges forged new bodies for the angels and recalled them from the Void. Universal War broke this Law, but didn't erase it. In theory, the angels serve what's left of it, like the robots in Fallout games still following their programming two hundred years after every purpose they were meant to serve went up in nuclear flames.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

ElMaligno posted:

I think you mean anti-angel rifle, by YISUN how can you be so insensitive?????

Anti-Materialism Rifle.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

dog kisser posted:

So Mottom's eating these girls, right?

I dunno, that seems a little too on-the-nose, unless it's the key to her immortality or something. My guess is that she just carts them around the multiverse until they drop dead of exhaustion and/or starvation because Mottom never lets them rest and eats all the food ever herself.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

"It was there...he learned of GOD's scribe. Metatron 1." I think Metatron, and his physical shell, have always been within the Void - Koss didn't get the chance to banish him from Throne because he was never there to begin with.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Renaissance Robot posted:

To nip this confusion in the bud, you mean Zoss. Koss was a blacksmith god, Zoss is the conquering king.

In my defense, I hadn't yet finished my coffee when I posted that.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

I dunno, I always figured the needle was just Cio's attitude about The Way These Things Should Be Done. Allison's the heroine, therefore Allison pulls the not-quite-a-sword from the stone. That, or Cio's a bit of a wet noodle by devil standards - she rode White Chain's body down to the lounge, but I'm not sure we ever saw her actually supporting the armor's weight.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

The Mentalizer posted:

Accepting Michael's offer, as distasteful as it may be, is probably the right move for her. At the very least it buys her some more time to figure out how to deal with Michael and the thorns. It also puts her in a position to help guide and protect Alison along the way to wherever she ends up going, which seems to be something that is still important to White Chain judging by her reaction to Michael telling her she would have to kill her if necessary.

Yeah, her options are this, or waiting for millennia for another body and possibly getting REALLY dead while someone with less sympathy for Allison or restraint goes in her place anyways.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

MikeJF posted:

The big zoomout at the end was in the void.

According to the tumblr, Mottom's will is so powerful it's like she carries real space with her when in the void, which is how the assembled palace can travel so conveniently. I assume the other Demiurges might be the same.

Yeah, I always assumed it was that unlike Allison, Mottom's soul IS powerful enough to cast a body in the void. What we see here is her flesh-and-blood body; what we saw in the conference in the Void is who she is on the inside.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Haystack posted:

Reach heaven through xylem.

:captainpop:

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

K Prime posted:

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-4-72/

In which Allison finally gets that makeover, but at what cost?

Mottom's, apparently. Looks like 'Glamor' was the right guess after all

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Wielding his blade, Maybe. The Maybe Sword, wrenched from Maya Mathangi's cold, dead hands (or delivered to Allison's via a series of increasingly-bizarre and contrived accidents).

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

paragon1 posted:

Consider: Killing is a lie.

*Smiles in the fourth way while assuming the 12th shitposting form*.

Case in point: Zoss.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Hypocrisy posted:

Allison told her to stop the whole "we're not so different you and I" speech but she keeps on doing it. Such villainy.

I don't think Mottom's actually trying to win Allison's sympathy, so much as just warn her of what's coming her way as a courtesy. I think Mottom's long past the point of giving a poo poo whether she lives or dies, and actually loathes herself in the same way Allison does, but is too set in her ways to possibly change at this point so she just wants to use Allison as one last attempt to spit in YISUN's eye.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

wiegieman posted:

Maya is probably the toughest character we've met, barring Zoss. She conquered a considerable number of universes, before she decided to do more important things.

I always assumed she was an also-ran from the Universal War, and got a choice between forsaking all her worldly ambitions and living as a destitute Mendicant Knight or losing her head, which would explain why she wants to know what Allison thinks of death since she's kinda rethinking her decision.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

New update. Allison's question would render a simple 'yes' anticlimactic, so I'm thinking Hastet Om got the same kind of 'mercy' as Pryan Sor.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Well, that was significantly grosser than I was expecting. That said, why do this? Why not chop him down or set him on fire or something? If at first you don't succeed, PERISH harder!

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Benson Cunningham posted:

At this point, I'm fairly certain Zoss is dead / only exists in Allison's head. Previously I thought there was some room for interpretation, but this latest comic cemented it for me at least.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Zoss is 100% dead, yes. His death is what set events in motion.

Causality and the linear flow of time just don't mean quite as much when you're the inheritor of all creation.

Not like death stopped YISUN from conversing with his creations and disciples or giving Aesma sage advice that she'd completely misunderstand.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Operant I just want you to know that yours is the best loving comic, oh my god :allears:

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

SunAndSpring posted:

Something tells me Juggs is not the honorable type and will break the deal so that they can face the wheel.

Someone's getting some cracks in their armor-body, eh?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Hey, dying didn't stop Nietzschean Obi-Wan. Why should it stop Lady Yoda?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

I thought that the needle was telekinesis, not just because of the lines of motion, but because Allison looks a little surprised in that panel, like "Did I just do that?" and also TK would have fit with the general function of the Key of Kings, ie "I'm drunk as hell and I have no idea what I'm doing!"

But the edit makes it a lot clearer, yeah.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Mazerunner posted:

she flips the rest of the creation

Hey, the tortoise is now oriented correctly with respect to it!

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Paramemetic posted:

Yeah, Jaggs even dunks on him in his own kingdom with the whole "this was never your throne, little king" line.

Even Jadis got in on it, and she's an entombed corpse who rarely speaks above an unintelligible whisper!

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Synthbuttrange posted:

It just occurs to me that I dont properly know what killing an angel actually means.

We've been told Zoss killed the prime angels, and their regrowing forms now exist in the void. We've seen a false shell blow up. We've seen an angel banished from their shell multiple times. We're told Zoss chased angels into the void to kill them there. Is it a multi part process? Smash the shell then confront them in the void? Does destroying a shell cause enough damage to fling them back to the void and begin resurrection?

As I understand, smashing the shell while an angel's inhabiting it sends them back to the Void and might kill them, forcing them to begin the long process of reincarnation, while finishing them off in the Void will definitely accomplish this. If Delicious' death is any indication, angels that are actually slain petrify, so it's pretty clear that they are for real dead and not just in need of a new body.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I was guessing the wings were tattered during the whipping punishment Juggs went through.

Nah, if you look back at previous pages, all Thorn Knights have mutilated wing-stumps.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

SunAndSpring posted:

they've already got owned twice, might as well be out of the comic. can't be taken seriously as a threat after getting one-shot two times by two separate old people

Juggs is probably one of the ten strongest beings in the multiverse but has an unfortunate habit of picking fights with the other nine.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

It strikes me that Solomon David has been trolling White Chain this whole time by throwing her own styles back at her. White Chain is now using a style which is universally fatal to humans who attempt it.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Mile'ionaha posted:

Why on earth would you underestimate the canniness of a demiurge in this setting?

'Course, I see this same mentality IRL from liberals as they get trounced, over and over, at every level, by people they dismiss as 'dumb fanatics'.

Or perhaps more topically, people who dismiss Paris Hilton and the Kardassians as 'dumb celebs' while those 'dumb celebs' preside over enormous and growing financial empires.

Aesma teaches us that furious dumbassery trounces education and philosophy every time.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Xand_Man posted:

It's not just the kung fu emperor dickpunching a god either though :iia:

It's little things too, like how utterly exhausted Incubus is, and that panel of him raising his sword against the oncoming storm :kiss:

I noticed Allison and Cio covering their ears against Dave's sonic boom while Incubus dgaf because Head of John's protection presumably extends to his eardrums as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Oh gently caress yes, ghost limbs vs. ghost sword WHO'S GONNA WIN