Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So what's the cutest mobile suit? I mean, you could go with Bearguy but I think that's too obvious. It might be the Acguy, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'm getting really tired of Gundam UC Re:0096's cold opens being multiple minutes of recapping every plot point that's happened since the start. If it didn't have a narrator actually telling you what they're trying to highlight, it would be "previously on X-Men" bad. Is there even any new footage in this show? It's padded as gently caress but I don't feel like I've seen anything new so far in eleven episodes.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmqSOr2-NY

I meant what I said.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I tried to make one but it got claimed by Sunrise, no joke.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I watched all of Origin last night and I really enjoyed it but there were a couple characters, especially Dozle Zabi, who sound like they were recording through a microphone on the other side of a two person setup. Anyone else notice that?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

PBS Newshour posted:

Turn A is what I'm watching after G Gundam. It's the series I've been most interested in after the UC stuff, but I heard it works better after some other Gundam stuff?? So I have been holding off on it. Also I figure it's better to not just watch all the stuff I think I will like off the back so I can be surprised by stuff like Wing.

It's basically wedged in canon as the final Gundam series ever chronologically, so it has some callbacks, but you won't miss much if you've only seen pre-UC0093 stuff. Most of the callbacks are real subtle, aside from the presence of a few MS designs that are pretty prominent. It's not like the main squad meets Amuro Ray's ghost and sits down for a chat with him or anything.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That Turn A ending gets me choked up every time. If ever a Gundam show stuck the landing it's that one.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm still going through Zeta but I assume that Amuro and Char get married and go live out in a space cottage eventually

Yeah, they get the one right next to Tupac and Elvis.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Some people really just can't turn their work off.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
What an incredibly necessary looking mobile suit, holy poo poo.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The second and third books also mention various mechs(one military and one basically a future wheelchair) but it's never been set up in a way where they're somehow super dominant in battle. Also the mech from the book didn't make it into the show.

Edit: that being said it's an amazing series and really does do the thing most Gundam series can't, which is make the politics compelling or sensible in any way.

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 4, 2017

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So is Vidar Ein in a robot body or what

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's Gaelio. With some unknown amount of cyborginess.

But that's so much more boring than "it's the cyberbody of the guy you turned into a literal weapon of war and he really misses being able to taste food".

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not when you consider the general theory is Gaelio's got him hooked into the Vidar Gundam.

I still like mine better because then he gets to pull off the mask for the dramatic reveal and it's just a brain and metal framework underneath.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The Turn A OPs are both great but if I even think about Moon for a moment I start to tear up.

Beyond those I think the only ones I'd listen to independent of thinking about anime OPs are The Winner and Raise Your Flag. Though some of the non-opening/ending tracks in Build Fighters are freaking amazing.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The Turn A is the best. Iconic Syd Mead design, powered by a collapsing singularity, extremely overpowered without being glaringly obvious. I wish we could have gotten a side story set in the Dark History populated by mass production Turn A suits and bizarre clarketech-level settings. I like the G-Self a bunch for being so radically different as well, but it's too toyetic to be a real winner. Other runners up include the Ez8 and the Gundam Virtue. Love me a chunky artillery suit.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

3 posted:

Had to dig up scans I posted ages ago from Mead Gundam (Which has a fairly recent reprint so it's not mega-impossible to find anymore)

I'm gonna have to pick that up. Those scans are so dope, thanks a million for the link.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Also at no part does the main character develop nebulous psychic powers or save everyone with the power of understanding.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
He did Scryed which was cool but I think he did the source material on that? Then he fell into a sameface hole really hard.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Is there anywhere I can stream the IBO dub legally? Now that season 2 is winding down I really want to go back and put it all together.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Gundam.Info youtube channel has been putting up the english dub version. I think they're into season 2 now.

Nice. Thanks for the tip.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So I'm going through the IBO dub to refresh on the plot of season one going into the last few s2 episodes and I was wondering if there's ever been any official word why they changed the pronunciations of Barbatos and Tekkadan so much. Are they somehow more accurate? They do it with other names too but those two are the most egregious.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Tae posted:

poo poo, did anyone actually steal a suit in ibo? I can't remember now.

There's a guy in the first season who tries to plug into the AV system in the Barbatos but I think it just puts him into a persistent vegetative state. He's not stealing it though, he wanted to transport it to Mikazuki.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

chiasaur11 posted:

Nah, he survived, it just knocked him out for a while.

Dante's still alive right now, matter of fact. Probably won't be for much longer, but it seems temporary overload isn't crippling as long as it isn't instantly fatal.

poo poo, you're right, he does show up again. Doesn't contribute much but at least he's not a cucumber.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Well these are shows about giant fighting robots that completely throw out the square-cube law, so I can see how the practical requirements could be the only concern here.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It's more like Virtual-On with modern controls, really.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So does G Gundam have the weakest ending credits sequence of any Gundam show? The endlessly zooming in on Rain's distorted earring is so boring.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I mean, you can have problems with Turn A's story or its mecha design, but if you have problems with its' music I just don't think there's any helping you. Same with 0083's, which are so goddamn eighties action movie that it's kinda painful.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Guy Goodbody posted:

No you can't :colbert:

Well, I can't, but I suppose out there is some theoretical human being who could.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Shinjobi posted:

The best suits in IBO season 1 are the goddamn frog robots. :cmon:

The Man series are so great. I love chunky robots so much. I love mecha that look like they can stand up without any kinda balance assistance.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Your soul is freed from gravity and your body is freed from its garments.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I know it was a page ago but I think the fight choreography in 08MS might be middling on purpose as a result of the hero squad being fair to middling pilots overall. None of them are really aces, and they're mostly up against other grunts or the Apsalus until Norris shows up and clowns everyone super hard. Hell, Shiro only wins due to him distracting Norris long enough to club his cockpit in. I don't think any of the fights are particularly boring, really, but if you're expecting clean wins you're looking in the wrong place.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

PMush Perfect posted:

The OP for Turn-A Gundam is fantastic, joking aside. It's nostalgic, despite me never actually watching this series before. Runs in the same veins as a lot of very good openings.

And yet, I can't stand the ED for more than a few seconds.

The second ED is the one people remember.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

ImpAtom posted:

At this point the highest-spec grunt units probably belong to something like Age (which mass-produced the Age units a generation behind) or 00 (GN drive equipped grunt units)

Nah, the highest-spec grunt suit is the WaDom.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Droyer posted:

IDK about wing zero specifically but there are some Gundams in the backgrounds that are clearly prototypes of the Wing gundams. I also found this https://ghostlightning.wordpress.com/2011/09/30/fly-in-the-sky-mobile-fighter-g-gundams-last-shoutout/ which points out some of the references.

At least one of these is wrong (labeling the F91 as the GP03S) and a handful are missing from G Gundam itself. Is there a completed version of this list?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
They should just do shot for shot remakes of the MSG movies, honestly.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Taintrunner posted:

who will fit in the giant rubber recreation of this though

Me in a heartbeat, actually.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Raxivace posted:

The horse Gundam is silly, but it also made a cameo in Turn-A and Sooper liked that show. :p

I've watched Turn A like three times and I have no idea what you're talking about. When's this cameo?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I thought G-Reco was quite interesting and will probably rewatch it after I finish watching Overman King Gainer since now I can see the straight line that drew in Tomino's head between Turn A, Gainer, and G-Reco. Plus I love the mecha designs, they're super unorthodox and "organic" in a way lots of other Gundam shows would never try to be, again, showing the influence of Gainer's Overmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I like the Gundams with the turlits