Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
The point where a lot of gundam shows fall apart is when they lean too heavily on emulating MSG+Zeta+CCA. 00 First Season? Great, Inventive. Second season? It tries to be Zeta again and falls flat for some people.

The same goes for Gundam Wing, which tries to shove the entire character arc of Char Aznable, from MSG all the way to CCA, into a single series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Honestly, one of the "better' versions of 00 S2 that I wish we had gotten would've been with a whole new team of Meisters: Specifically, Graham, Soma, Patrick, and Saji, complete with a mixture of CB support Staff from S1 with other S1 non CB characters joining in- like Kati becoming the new Tactical forecaster, Billy becoming the mechanic.

It would've let them do a lot more stuff and maybe be more dynamic than just doing Zeta again, and it would've let them do more stuff with having Setsuna still being around in the Exia Repair being Gundam. Y'know, fun stuff.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Lemon-Lime posted:

The issue with the IBO s01 ending isn't "they didn't kill everyone," it's "they presented the final fight as a last-ditch do-it-or-die battle against a monstrous foe, had several side characters get brutally mangled on-screen, and then none of them actually died or suffered any long-lasting effects."

If they'd had one person die and the others at least get some sort of lasting scar or injury, it would feel a lot less like a cheap copout.

Somehow it still feels less cheap than Aldnoah Zero. Hell, even Mika feels like a way way better character than Inaho, despite them being similar.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Still way better than "Three characters got shot in the head, none of them died" that some shows have done.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I mean, Roux IS absolutely a solid pilot and asset to the Gundam Team, unlike Beecha and Oleg. Or Puru.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Who designed the uniforms for Neo Zeon? Who designed the FEMALE uniforms? I don't think Haman did it, or else their tits wouldn't be out constantly.

.. Did Chara design them?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I'm a big fan of the BRAVE and BRAVE Commander type.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I like gundam. I like RPGs.

I am upset that I cannot find a Gundam Roleplay that is also not filled to bursting with Nazis, Fascists, and Racists. What the hell is it about gundam that attracts these kind of lovely people?

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 9, 2021

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
It is frustrating when I can't even enjoy things because the owner is a Tradcath who thinks that telling people to not be a poo poo infringes on their rights (unless it's someone who's LGBT+), and the place regularly tolerates people attacking women for being women and harassing jewish players about the protocols of the elders of zion and why it's true and why Israel keeps it a secret. Naturally all of these people played Zeon.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I, for one, don't like The Origin OVAs. Too much zeonwank. Too much charwank.

Like, it's too much Zeonwank to the point where none of the mobile suit battles are actually interesting at all- like the first mobile suit battle on the moon when Minvosky is trying to defect, where there's zero tension whatsoever so all you do is watch the feddies not land a single hit while Zeon basically wins the fight without a scratch.

Also the scene where that guy grabs Char by the shoulder, and Char glares at him so hard that he flies off of Char's shoulder and hits the ground hard enough to crack it.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Ethiser posted:

I think the Zeon mobile suits being unstoppable works better in the manga because it comes after the Gundam has been shown chewing through the best that Zeon has to offer.

And I've read the manga, and he's not kidding about chewing. The Gundam is loving terrifying in The Origin. Hell, GMs are terrifying in The Origin.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

Not that anyone's found. He based one of the characters in Attack on Titan on Akiyama Yoshifuru, an early 20th century IJA general, but Yoshifuru's a widely liked national hero in Japan, and from what I've seen his bad reputation in Korea is on more general "gently caress the IJA forever" grounds (a perfectly understandable position) than anything specific he did. In his day, Yoshifuru was highly decorated by foreign militaries (He was a Grand Officer of the Légion d'honneur) and considered to be a model of frugality and duty in his personal life, eventually retiring to teach junior high until his death. So, you know. Plenty of people who like him without major nationalist ties.

He also may have named a heroic character after Erwin Rommel, but from the character's role it's clear that it's the popular myth War Without Hate, July Plot Rommel, not any fondness for the Nazis.

Further, the themes of the last arc are pretty skeptical of nationalist sentiments and militarism, while outright decrying racism as Very Bad, with a lot of scenes of fascists being dunked on, so, you know. There's that. (There was also, if memory serves, a troll twitter account claiming to be Isayama that posted some racist stuff, but, you know. That's like blaming someone for what they said in "The Onion")

Moving back to Gundam, or at least a bit closer...

Comes in part, I suspect, from how loose a lot of 90s and early 2000s localizations were. (The Metal Gear Solid team got into a dispute with Kojima over the animal code names.) When you're used to having rice balls be refereed to as "jelly donuts", it's easy to get paranoid about any changes. And thus, more attempts at direct control, even when the companies don't know what they're talking about.

(Fun recent trivia: The Eva dub on Netflix is the exact script Funimation rejected back in 1997.)

Nobody wants to make another War for Earth.

This is in comparison to the writer of Gundam Unicorn, who is 100% connected to Japanese Ultranationalism and is a massive apologist for Imperial Japan, yet still gets work. The writer of AOT is emphatically not a fascism, and tries to not make Fascism look cool- he kinda succeeds at this as compared to MuvLuv, which fails entirely in not coming off as fascist Japanese Ultranationalism.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Well, that's when you take the Gundam away from the kid who is, at best, a Team Killer and is at worst an active Traitor, and give it to someone else who won't get allies killed.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Honestly, tossing Manga Getter into "Bad Choices SRW" would seem like a good idea to me, if only so you can have the pivotal moment where characters see the future of Getter Emperor and resolve to make better choices.

Speaking of bad choices, though, can someone explain to me how we were supposed to see Lord Ezelcant's plan in Gundam Age as a good thing?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

jackhunter64 posted:

The last time the Destiny discussion rolled around I had a think about how you could salvage a better show out of wasted opportunity, and one thought was Morgenroete should have rebuilt the Freedom after Shin defeated Kira, but with the ability to mount Striker Packs. Now the name 'Strike Freedom' actually makes sense, thematically it brings Kira full circle into a position where he can regain his purpose, and he would actually have to earn victory instead of just magically shooting the weapons out of everyone else's hands. It also inverts Shin going from the multi-mode Impulse to the all-in-one Destiny, which better positions them as opposing protagonists.
I think people were ambivalent at worst about Kira before Destiny, the general opinion only turned sour after things like the re-releases retconning Kira killing Tolle in justifiable self-defence to Tolle actively skewering himself on the Strike's sword, muscling Shin out of his own show, and winning battles with the twin powers of stock animation and an aimbot. Swapping packs on the fly and adjusting quickly to conditions like shifting desert sands was good and fun to watch!

This isn't, especially when the exact footage shows up every other episode.

I mean, if that's what the japanese audience wants? Look at how people rave over the mobile suit fights in The Origin, when they're all just one sided turkey shoots. The audience doesn't want stakes or the threat of the heroes losing, they want to see them win easily with no trouble.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
This goes back to my earlier assertion: Japanese audiences don't want interesting fights or stakes, they just want the unbeatable heroes winning with big explosions. Look at SEED Destiny, look at The Origin (especially the moon fight), look at Sword Art Online.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I'm not racist, I'm just saying that the audiences that Gundam generally aims for in Japan (because I don't really think they care about western audiences), are more interested in the self insertion power fantasy aspects and the "The heores are great and never fail and always win" aspects that you get out of that kind of stuff. Doesn't mean that the entire country only wants that, but the money making audience, the core demographic if you will, definitely wants that.

Raxivace posted:

Its not like “the West” doesn’t have its fair share of invincible heroes anyways.

Like I’m not sure there’s that much fundamental difference between like Kira and Kirito and so on and like, Sherlock Holmes solving every mystery or whatever. Or these superhero movies where bad guy always gets beat at the end.

I think the major difference between "Kira/Kirito never faces any challenges and is the perfect hero who gets the girls" and a (Good, because Sherlock exists) Sherlock Holmes or Arsene Lupin story is that there's the mystery, and Sherlock isn't infallible. There are Sherlock Holmes stories where Sherlock just straight up gets outwitted or misses something important. Even in Superhero movies, in the good ones, the heroes can fail or face personal loss or even get hit or suffer injury before they win.

The problem isn't "The hero always wins", the problem with a character like Kira Yamato or Kirito is that they win with no effort.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 26, 2021

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

The moon fight explicitly serves the purpose of showing how badly out of date and behind the curve the Federation was at the outset of the war. It's not really a "gently caress yeah kick their rear end!" moment, it's a one sided slaughter with dangerous implications of just how badly things would go for earth.

All the fights in The Origin are basically one sided slaughters. Even when someone grabs Char's shoulder, Char's SO AWESOME that he just looks at the guy and he flies away hard enough to crack pavement. Y'know, I know there's a 'reason' for that, but it feels like the worst parts of Unicorn all over again.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
So I'm playing SRW 30- is it doing the thing it did in J and make bad stuff look better? Is Narrative worth watching?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Omnicrom posted:

I think the latter was way more important in the writing to the people making DESTINY and the informs the problems of the former. Because you actually can have recurring mooks and still put over the heroes and hand them solid victories, and Gundam has done that before. As was mentioned not long ago Jerid stuck around for nearly the whole series of Zeta Gundam and nobody would think he was some super amazing pilot what with him blowing up mobile suit after mobile suit. The trick is that it requires a little bit more thought and consideration to have two people fight each other in a life or death struggle, have both of them emerge alive, but make one of them look better than the other in a definitive way. And if all you care about is soap operatic melodrama I suspect you don't even try.

Relatedly, Char completely stops getting the better of Amuro by the time he returns to the original series halfway through and he's still made to look like a credible threat because the show puts them over in ways besides "could beat the Gundam in a fight".

I honestly don't think J did a particularly good job making most of its shows look good, but it is generally pretty standard issue for Super Robot Wars to try and put the shows they feature in a good light. Narrative is another example of that, 30 works really hard to give Jona people to interact with so they can actually characterize him in a logical way that makes sense and portrays him positively in a coherent way rather than repeating the same flashback a dozen times and shoving his entire motivation as a person into the back half of the final battle. It also takes a firm stance on Newtypes in general (which matches the last couple of games, actually) and tries to explain a little bit more about what's going on with Rita in the Phenex and also basically just lets Zoltan live his best life as a cackling, over-the-top villain.

And no, Narrative really isn't worth watching. It is, at best, a mess. If you watch it all it should only be to admire Banpresto's work given the mess they were dealing with.

DESTINY is fun because they've basically run the series five or six different times in five or six different ways and every single one of them is a vast improvement over the original. Shoutouts to UX where Shinn ends up being a mentor to the kids from Fafnir and does a pretty good job of it.

"A Bad Case of the Gundams"

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I never really felt, watching Seed or Destiny, that Kira Yamato was a good pilot so much as everyone else had a worse machine or was all around a terrible pilot. The mecha equivalent of the first space battle in Yamato 2202, where the only ship actively maneuvering is the one with named characters on board.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Yinlock posted:

The Nu's also has that weird thing where the saber only extends when it's swung, which is a concept i'm surprised they never really expanded on. It seems handy.

I think suits in VIctory do the same thing too.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Warmachine posted:

I was never really clear about this because it comes up as a problem in Edmonton, but why wasn't it a problem on Mars or at Dort? Did mobile suits just not get close enough to any cities?

Yes, Also those are dirty martians/space colonists, not the 'real' people who live on earth.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
It's hard to describe how great Rau le Creuset is. So I'll just show you instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOpN1r-C_CM Just hamming it up 100%

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Monaghan posted:

"EVEN SO" kind of works against full frontal because full frontal's argument is that everything is pointless because the universe will experience heat death 50 billion years from now. like, how else do you respond to that other than "Who gives a poo poo about that?"

Did you know that the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV has a free trial, and includes the entirety of A Realm Reborn AND the award-winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 with no restrictions on playtime? Sign up, and enjoy Eorzea today!

In all seriousness, FFXIV actually touches on that exact thing in the Endwalker expansion, and handles it fairly well, I think. I can't go into it without spoilers, so that's a warning before you click on these spoilers The villain is motivated by knowing that, in the long run, all things die and everything ends, and in her massively amplified grief thanks to a lack of beta testing, she decides to use her power to end all life and keep new life from springing up- seeing it as a mercy to do so. This is refuted with a general sentiment of "Even if that is the fate of all things, even if civilizations fall and worlds die, we're here now and we deserve to live, with all the suffering that life entails"

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd argue that Darryl is the protagonist and Io is the antagonist - not the villain, but the antagonist.

Nah, Darryl's a Space Nazi.

Edit: I think I may be biased because of uh, current events, but I'm not a fan of stories that go "These people were forced out of their home by the other party doing mass warcrimes, and the other party claims to just be defending their homeland, so they're morally equivalent."

Sure, it sucks that Darryl got his legs and arm blown off invading earth, but also, like... Zeon are explicitly space nazi imperial japan, with all of the bad that entails.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 27, 2022

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

ninjewtsu posted:

i think you could still make this point with an adult protagonist

What is an adult? is someone in their 30's who's been spinning their wheels trying to survive an evil Tomino adult? do you become bad the moment you turn 18?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like "you are just trying to survive and maintain a status quo for yourself regardless of future generations suffering" is exactly the kind of adult Tomino criticizes, including himself. That is basically what the Federation is.

Well, I'm sorry for Tomino that he feels people like me just trying our best to survive isn't good enough.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

PringleCreamEgg posted:

That summary is interesting but like, are there really Zabi stans out there

Of course there are.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Well I mean that's the point. By any objective measure it isn't. That doesn't make it something that can't be empathized with or understood. It's something all of us here are trying to do because in many cases it is all we can do. Surviving day by day can be all we're asked before we break. But at the end of the day us choosing our survival and stability just passes that cost down to the next generation.

Gundam makes that extremely literal by foisting the bulk of the fighting onto that next generation, but that doesn't change the subtext there. The people who truly have to pay the cost for our decisions are not us, but the people who come after us, and prioritizing survival and comfort is at once a perfectly justifiable path to take and us telling the next generation that we're willing to let them die horribly.

This sucks. It sucks a lot. It sucks that our generation has been so beaten down and wrecked and depowered that we feel like our only choice is to survive. But at the end of the day those younger people who have to deal with what we've done won't be made any safer or more comfortable by our sadness. And this is something our generation accepts which is why so many people are foregoing children, because we know what we'd be leaving behind.

"Adults are evil" aren't just the maliciously cackling Zabis. They can also be the uncaring status-quo preserving Federation. And that is why that theme is important to the concept. It isn't just War Is Bad, it is "War is fought using the lives of the young" in every sense of the word. To remove that from Gundam really drains the impact it has in favor of making something more marketable, and goddamn if "Make this cartoon show more marketable to me, an adult, by lessening the audience it is targeting" isn't the perfect encapsulation for why it needs that message.

Being told that I'm evil just because I'm an adult and trying to change the world for the better while trying to survive isn't really.

Look, a lot of people don't have the privilege of having a chance of making the world better. Telling people that they're "Evil Adults" because of that is just some downright new age 70's spiritual elitism.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Self Insert

Gaius Marius posted:

Why are you taking it personally

Because there are a massive amount of people in my age group (Roughly 30's) who spent the last two decades growing up watching the world get hosed over and us being left to face most of the consequences, and now that we're in our 30's we get told by the media we consume that we're part of the problem just because we're in our 30s and trying our best to survive and not make things worse .

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 3, 2022

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
https://twitter.com/rallymoon246/status/1489310097411121154?s=20&t=1X65uM4KXsHy-BnkpE1w8Q

I'm sorry, I had to post it.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
The Trinities exist to make other people look cooler.

Edit: I really like how the Claw's group in GunXSword are just Gundam protagonists.

Fivemarks fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 6, 2022

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Most of the Gundam Manga and novels that people want animated would probably suck. Sentinel, Crossbone, Ecole du Ciel, Gaia Gear, they're all included in that list. And I like all of them.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I think this is why some people have an issue with the idea of UNDERSTANDING (All Caps) in later Gundam works, as being the end all be all of solving the problem. You can understand someone perfectly, but if they're an rear end in a top hat, you've still got to fight them.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. It has a scene where the adorable Moeblobs prey to the pilot of the Hldolfr and promise to honor his spirit.

What.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

You heard me. Part of the plot involves salvaging the cannon where they talk nonstop about how brave and honorable he was and how they'll make sure to use his cannon properly and then invent a new type of Dom to mount the cannon that isn't a pile of poo poo and then have a small bow-and-pray session where they promise to honor him.

What The gently caress.

At least it doesn't have another bad rider design with an even dumber v-fin.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

I hate to tell you but...

Meet White Rider.

For gently caress's sake. Are the federation characters at least not cartoonishly evil?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I don't expect the fights in the movie to be good, if they're the same team that did the Choreography for the other Origin movies. I expect basically SEED Destiny tier "Feddie suits do nothing then blow up without ever having any tension in a fight scene whatsoever" whenever a fight doesn't involve the white base crew, similar to the Moon fight in The Origin movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Warmachine posted:

I think you're thinking of the Penelope? The flight unit has that distinctive tail-looking bit when it's flying.

So does 0080, and Unicorn has that one scene when the Shamblo's beam reflections slice through the fire escape that a mother was running down carrying her infant and :stonk:

My problem with this is that I feel it undercuts Unicorn trying to frame Zeon as victims and inherently noble.