Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Westboro Baptist Church to picket Kim Davis:

http://www.advocate.com/religion/2015/10/16/westboro-baptist-church-protest-workplace-kim-davis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

nerdz posted:

Is that... blood?

Yeah, and lymph, and poo, and other fluids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3qo1de-iYk

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Is this real? It appears to be saying that she should in fact be giving out the marriage licenses to gay couples, which as far as I know, is not consistent with the usual ideas espoused by the WBC.

It's right on their web site:

http://godhatesfags.com/schedule.html

Seems pretty consistent to me:

quote:

The Supreme Court, in the providence of God, and for the punishment of this nation, has declared that same-sex marriage IS the law of Doomed USA. So DO IT!! You asked for it, you begged for it by your disobedience and refusal to receive correction or instruction, so take it and like it!

Just note Kim Davis ... God will NEVER have Same-Sex Marriage, but he does not require YOU to disobey to deal with this nation. As these words are typed, the nation faces relentless, never-seen fires in the west and hurricane force never-seen flooding and storms in the east. AND, God sends the shooter again and again. God has HIS weapons in HIS armory, so Kim Davis needs to HUSH and OBEY the law that she helped bring about.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Darkhold posted:

:psyduck: yes gently caress those people obeying the law. I wanna speed!

If you're driving in the left-hand lane of traffic and not passing anyone, you're probably breaking the law even if you're not speeding.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Once a drug is generic anyone can do this, this idiot tried to price gouge something any company can get the formula too. the only time drug companies can actually gouge is the 7 year period they get if they are the ones to invent a drug

That's not how it works.

See, there are on-label and off-label uses for any drug. On-label uses are the ones for which specific studies have been performed, showing to the FDA's satisfaction that the drug works to treat a specific thing in a specific population. Then the FDA can write up a nice label for the drug, indicating a specific dose, etc. Off-label uses are by definition unapproved. That doesn't mean they're not safe, or the drug doesn't work, it's that nobody has spent the money to do the mandated studies to get on-label approval. Lots of drugs used to treat kids are used off-label all the time, because nobody's going to jump through the ethical hoops to perform drug studies in kids (poor kids, because rich kids' parents don't usually enter them into drug studies) when the drug already exists and is available by prescription anyway.

What Shkreli did was do exactly what we'd expect people to do under the FDA's regulatory regime. The FDA wants companies to take these old generics, that are being used off-label, and pay for new studies to establish on-label uses for them. But they're generics, anyone can make them, including generic companies in India or China which would undercut the poo poo out of anyone establishing new on-label uses for those drugs, so any company spending the money for the studies would be cutting its own throat. So the FDA says to those companies, "Pay for the studies, and we'll grant you marketing exclusivity for some number of years." So the fact that any company can get the formula to the drug is *irrelevant*, because the only company allowed to *market and sell the drug* is the one the FDA gives that right to. Someone else can be making that drug and selling it right now, it doesn't matter, when the FDA gives you the marketing right that other company is SOL and you can charge what you want.

You really think Shkreli tried to "price gouge something any company can get the formula to" and he's therefore an idiot? It doesn't work that way *at all*, and what he did happens *all the time*. Colchicene's been used to treat gout for 3000 years, it works, but since it's this old-assed drug that's existed since forever nobody bothered to make it jump through the FDA hoops until 2009, when URL Pharma did it, was granted an exclusivity period of 3 years, and promptly hiked the price of the drug by 15 times.

This company undercutting Shkreli? It's a *compounding pharmacy,* which essentially is a bespoke drug manufacturer. A doctor can write a script, saying "take this particular chemical and mix it with this particular chemical and dispense it to my patient." So they're dodging around the exclusive right granted Shkreli; they're not marketing and selling the drug, they're taking that drug and mixing it to order, combining it with a second drug that's commonly given along side of it to treat the first one's side effects, resulting in something of very similar function but not the same thing, and dispensing it per a doctor's instructions.

It's nice of them, but it's limited. If you need that drug, your doc can't call up CVS and phone in a prescription for you to pick up, he needs to order it from them. They can't market this drug. They can't prepackage it and send it out to pharmacies to sit on shelf-stock. Each patient's doctor needs to craft a specific request, etc.

Shkreli's not an idiot, Shkreli's engaged in entirely predictable, and usually successful, rent-seeking. If he hadn't spiked the cost so much nobody would have loving noticed because their co-pays wouldn't have gone up and the only ones paying the extra cost would be the insurers (and by extension, everyone who has insurance).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I hope some poor school kid isn't under that. Nothing's worse than a flat minor.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

why_libertarianism_doesnt_work.txt

What he's doing is, again, taking advantage of *FDA regulation* and US patent law. What the hell do either of those things have to do with libertarianism?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Again, it's a state of affairs that's taking full advantage of *existing regulation.*. FDA regulations prohibiting generic manufacturers in India from selling drugs in the US aren't "unchecked capitalism." Patent laws which give a corporation a legal monopoly for a period of time aren't "unchecked capitalism."

It's rent-seeking.txt. It's got nothing to do with a *lack* of regulation. Unchecked capitalism would result in different awful things happening, but these particular awful things are the predictable result of the particular checks on capitalism we've implemented.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 11:36 on Oct 26, 2015

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Jastiger posted:

So is any form of income that isn't "generating new wealth" rent seeking? If I buy your car and resell it for $4000 more is that rent seeking? Is an SA sub rent seeking? I'm confused as to how this is rent seeking and the company not being a dick.

Rent-seeking *is* being a dick. I'm not saying the company isn't being a dick, I'm saying the company is being a dick in an entirely predictable and expected way given the existing body of regulation. They're not engaged in any additional productive enterprise, they're simply using the body of law to help them jack up the price on an already-existing good. They are essentially using the power of government to take money away from sick people and give it to them. If you buy my car and try to resell if for $4000 more than I sold it to you, that's not rent-seeking, that's you looking to make a profit. If you buy my 2014 model car and then try to lobby the local government to make it illegal to sell cars older than that in order to reduce the supply of cars for sale and let you jack the price up, that's rent-seeking.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Scyantific posted:

To add to that, the hats are being designed by the community.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Its because its trashy hicks racing cars in a circle for the delight of trashy hicks. Its basically the pro-wrestling of motorsport.

Yeah, stuff like that never happens in the refined and elite world of Formula 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Formula_One_crash_controversy

Oh, wait.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You don't watch F1 do you? The main parts of the Senna-Prost rivalry was intentially ramming the other one to deny points, i.e. gently caress THAT IMA HIT THAT FUCKER

Couple fuckers just hit each other:

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/bottas-gets-a-little-revenge-by-taking-raikkonen-out-at-1739919192

quote:

Williams Formula One driver Valtteri Bottas cut across into a turn in Russia and was knocked out of position by Ferrari’s Kimi Räikkönen. While Kimi received a 30 second penalty for that, the incident cost Bottas a solid top ten finish in Russia. Now it’s Bottas’ turn to take the inside line and knock Räikkönen out of place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYPrLQZVZ20

That’s Räikkönen out of the race.

While Tifosi are busy calling for Bottas’ head on a platter, the stewards decided not to further penalize either driver for the puntaroo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

hanales posted:

You would think there would be additional driver's test requirements to drive something that powerful and complex. It's not like I can just get in a semi and start driving it around my neighborhood.

It's waaaaay less complex than a semi. Automatic transmission.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

Our principal was caught saying our graduating class was the worst on record for the school, yet somehow one of the students went on to being one of the highest paid nfl players ever.

"Caught" saying that?

Our first day in high school, the vice principal/disciplinarian sat our entire class down in the auditorium, said that we were the worst class ever to go through the middle school, and that he would not allow us to be the worst one to go through the high school.

I can't imagine that we actually were. The worst thing that ever happened on a class level with us was that the senior class and the junior class started throwing eggs and flour at each other during homecoming halftime my senior year. And that was only reacted to so strongly because the 50-year reunion class was seated in between the junior and senior sections.

Now, at one point, the school decided to put temporary speed bumps in the school driveways. The really hard, rigid kind that it's impossible to go over without a jolt. Someone stole them all the next week, and dropped them off in the driveway of three school board members. But the guy who did that is actually on the school board now so it's not like it hurt him that much. And he was a year behind us, anyway.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Probably to ascertain whether there were still armed occupants.

Or, indeed, occupants:

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/2015/11/16/police-standoff-begins-desert-hot-springs/75888500/

quote:

No one was inside the home that authorities surrounded for more than 12 hours Monday in Desert Hot Springs.

Riverside County SWAT Team members entered the home in the 66-300 block of Sixth Street, but they did not find any suspects, according to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department.

Investigators were looking for a suspect in an assault with a deadly weapon, but specific details on that incident were not released.

The standoff began at about 11 a.m. Monday and it lasted into Tuesday morning.

Earlier Monday, Riverside County Sheriff's Deputy Michelle Ploesch said someone was inside a home with a gun. She said she did not know the suspect's gender or whether anyone else was inside the home.

Authorities evacuated nearby homes shortly after the standoff began, Ploesch said.

For part of the afternoon, an officer on a megaphone warned occupants that the home was surrounded and told someone inside to "come out with your hands up." A police helicopter circled overhead.

By 6 p.m., Sixth Street residents began to wander past their street, wondering if they could return to their homes. Several Desert Hot Springs High School students said they were looking for families who had been evacuated, because their families wanted to offer them shelter.

As the evening progressed, several SWAT vehicles, an ambulance and a fire truck arrived at the scene. Law enforcement surrounded the house and a police helicopter returned to circle the scene. Neighbors began to gather at Sixth Street and Cactus Drive to observe.

Officers began repeating the call for occupants to exit the house around 9:30 p.m., announcing that they had a search warrant. No one left the house.

Over the next hour, officers threw three flash-bang grenades — weapons that stun but don't seriously injure people nearby — toward the house. They sent a robotic vehicle inside. Finally, around 10:30 p.m., they struck the fence with a battering ram.

I just love the notion of throwing flash-bangs towards a house, like "Close enough!"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

That's not quite right as a description of short selling (you borrow shares and then have to return them at an agreed time, you're not racing the close of the sale or whatever), but short-position investment is very fertile schafenfreude terrain. There aren't a lot of investment vehicles where the upside is mathematically limited and the downside unlimited.

Saying it's seen as a "lovely thing to do" is also very wrong, it's an entirely valid pricing signal. It's literally telling the market "You people are idiots and this thing is way overvalued," and it helps prevent asset bubbles. It's also a solid hedge in a lot of circumstances.

People who were, say, shorting at the height of the housing bubble were smart people who were ignoring the hooting monkeys saying everything was fine.

I mean, some people might think it's lovely, but they're probably the same people who get pissed if you bet the Don't Pass line at craps, but that doesn't mean it's a lovely thing to do, it just means a bunch of people who are losing don't like to see you winning.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Nov 20, 2015

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

im pooping! posted:

I'm not entirely sure how you can drop into negative numbers. It's not like it can happen with anything else aside from straight up gambling. Even if cash were devalued to nothing incredibly rapidly, it's not like you would owe the government money, you'd just have no cash. I'm sorry if it's a derail, but I don't understand enough about the stock market to see schadenfreude in some guy owing over $100k because of reasons I can't comprehend.

Shorting works like this.

I think that a stock is overvalued and the price of that stock in ITEM is going to fall in the future, let's say ITEM is currently trading at $10/share but I think that's nuts and it's going to soon fall to $5. So I go to a lender, and borrow 100 shares of ITEM (I pay a fee for this service). I turn around and sell those shares on the market at the current market price, so I now I have $1000.At some point after this, the price on the market falls to $5. I buy 100 shares of ITEM and hand them over to the lender. I've made $500, minus the lending fees.

But what if, hey, I'm wrong, the company comes out with a great new product, or whatever. Instead of dropping to $5/share, the price soars to $25. I still need to get a hold of 100 shares to return to the lender. But that costs me $2500, so I lost $1500 on this trade, plus the lending fees.

Note that there's a maximum amount of money I can make on this trade. Let's say I borrow the 100 shares, sell them at the current market price, and then the company completely implodes, it's delisted, it's trading for a penny a share, it only costs me $1 to buy enough shares to make good with the lender. Great, I've made $999. Basically the current price per share represents a hard cap on the amount of profit I can make. But there's no theoretical limit on the downside, the price can increase high enough to break me.

That's why when you take a short position, you (unless you're an idiot) have some sort of stop-loss order in place, which is an arrangement to buy the stock *right now* in order to cover your position limit your losses. This guy didn't do that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

zakharov posted:

The dude who crashed the car on a straight, unobstructed road...

Liftoff oversteer is a hell of a drug.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I don't think so. It was some book dedicated to eco-warriors, rather than general-purpose shenanigans. Lots of advice on spiking trees, little to say about cheating spouses.

"Ecodefense: A Field Guide to Monkeywrenching" is my guess.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Don't know where this rates on the freude-o-meter, but I just really like that the trooper's name is "Roadside."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Speaking of which, at this point, why isn't it legal for the cops to require you to show that you were NOT texting at the time of the accident.

Stupid presumption of innocence and the requirement for the state to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt! Stupid 5th Amendment!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

speshl guy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRKrUXX3CJE

I was really hoping that at 2:40 the engine was going to explode

At 2:00 I thought a dove exploded.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Takoluka posted:

What are the chances of a compromised crime scene affecting any trials that may come from it?

Updates from the above link:

quote:

When Mashable reached out to the FBI while the scene was simultaneously unfolding on live television, a spokesperson seemed shocked when asked if the public was allowed to enter the apartment.

"I do not believe so, but I can check," she said around 9:30 a.m. PT. "My understanding is it is still an ongoing investigation."

An hour later, Lourdes Arocho, spokesperson for the FBI Los Angeles field office, told Mashable: "The search is over at that location."

[...]

During an afternoon press conference, FBI Los Angeles Assistant Director David Bowdich said that the federal investigation at the property had ended.

Bowdich said investigators had seized several pieces of evidence from the home but had turned it back over to the owner.

"Once we board it up, anyone that goes in at that point has nothing to do with us," said Bowdich.

So pretty low in this case. This is just bottom-feeding on the report of networks who need to substitute sensationalism for information because it's easier than filling a 24-hour news cycle with actual data.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

You are, of course, correct, but amazingly the vast majority of people fill out their tax returns every year without having any loving idea how taxes work. See also: the "don't want to get bumped into a higher tax bracket" myth that is also incredibly stupid.

If you're just talking about marginal rates, sure, that's stupid, but there are breakpoints for other things such as health care subsidies that can result in you being worse off if you make more money, because what you lose in subsidies due to a higher income isn't offset by the higher income:

http://www.sfgate.com/business/networth/article/Lower-2014-income-can-net-huge-health-care-subsidy-4891087.php

quote:

To get a subsidy, the couple's modified adjusted gross income for 2014 income would need to fall below $62,040, which is 400 percent of poverty for a family of two. (For a single person, the cutoff is $45,960. For other size households, see https://www.tinyurl.com/pwugnus.)

Proctor estimates that her 2014 household income will be $64,000, about $2,000 over the limit. If she and her husband could reduce their income to $62,000, they could get a tax subsidy of $1,207 per month to offset the purchase of health care on Covered California.

That would reduce the price of a Kaiser Permanente bronze-level plan, similar to the replacement policy she was quoted, to $94 per month from $1,302 per month. Instead of paying more than $15,000 per year, the couple would pay about $1,100.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Making it Rain posted:

Broke the flush lever i'm guessing

Something similar, although nowhere near as bad, happened at my work. The autoflush mechanism for one of the urinals broke, the urinal overflowed as the water kept pouring in, and then the automatic paper towel dispenser had its motion sensor triggered by the flowing water, and discharged its entire load of paper towels all over the floor.

I like to think that it was just trying to help.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

The guy who deliberately drove his million-dollar Bugatti into a lake and claimed a pelican made him to do it in order to defraud his insurance company has finally been sentenced to a year in prison:

http://jalopnik.com/the-guy-who-crashed-a-bugatti-into-a-lake-has-been-sent-1748158995

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

They also arrested his lawyer.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Everyone knows Raiders of the Lost Ark is the Landis family's favorite George Lucas film.

Nice, but I thought it was Temple of Doom. Raiders didn't have enough Asian slave labor.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Parts Kit posted:

Ruh roh, looks like someone got shot in the making of another one of these videos.
http://utmnews.com/man-involved-with-jalal-brother-prank-shot-while-making-another-fake-bomb-stunt/

It looks like people keep buying transparently fake stories from questionable news sources.

quote:

We work hard to bring you both legitimate news feeds from around the world, to also satirical feeds to lighten the mood in what is sometimes a depressing world.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Scarf posted:

Not able to catch up completely on the thread since the holidays, has anyone posted this Pennsylvania redneck getting fired for being an overt racist?

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...s-swift-justice

That's no Pennsylvania accent I've ever heard.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Motley Crue Drummer Tommy Lee Gets Stuck on Rollercoaster During New Year's Eve Show

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/motley-crue-drummer-tommy-lee-851705

Spinal Tap remains the best documentary ever made.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Somfin posted:

why the gently caress does he crunch them up,

Because otherwise it'd take 100 times as long to film.

The sour bit is the outside coating, anyway.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Firefighters are first-responders. Assuming her claim is true, I imagine said firefighters might have tried to jump in and help the woman in distress, rather than complain about the "junkie OD'ing on the floor." My Truth-O-Meter says "no."

Even if she was, who gives a poo poo? There's no reason that the regard given to firefighters and veterans (which is overdone anyway) should be extended to people who are *dining with them*.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

http://www.latimes.com/local/westside/la-me-bootlegged-venice-20160102-story.html

LA residents complain to the city that some of their neighbors are renting out their places via AirBNB.

City shows and says "Yeah, you're right. But while we're here, we noticed that only 4 out of the 8 units in this building were permitted in the first place, so we're evicting you."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm not really seeing the schadenfreude? Unless the residents who complained knew that they were in illegal housing (which I doubt since the interviewed woman had been there for about 25 years), they're having their legitimate complaints responded to by losing their homes.

Legitimate complaint? They weren't complaining about noise or stench or disrepair or a meth lab or anything like that - they were concerned that the apartments were being rented to "strangers" and "tourists" instead of long-term renters. Why's it any of their business? All they were complaining about were violations of arbitrary city ordinances, and when they ratted on their neighbors they found out they themselves were living in violation of arbitrary city ordinances (again, there's no safety issue alleged about their units).

It's like calling the cops to complain about your neighbor smoking weed and then when the cop walks in to your house to take a statement he sees your bong sitting there on the counter. I think people who should have minded their own business getting bitten by the same petty authority they went running to is schadenfruedy.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I like how this is a fuckup on every level. In the first picture, I thought it was just a weight issue. But the second shows that it's also a height issue, and very nearly a width issue. Holy poo poo. That they got as far onto the bridge as they did is astonishing to me.

It's even better, because she said she drove onto the bridge because backing up would have been too tricky for her and she didn't know how many pounds were in six tons.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a whole website dedicated to one particular bridge with a fairly short clearance height that gets hit by trucks so often that it's a local joke. Someone set up two cameras constantly covering it just to catch all the crashes.

According to the site owner, a lot of the victims are people in rentals who don't know the clearance of their truck.

And most of the others probably don't require CDLs. If you're not carrying passengers or hazmats and the truck's less than 13 tons, you don't need a CDL.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Heh.

FBI chief Jim Comey's prattling campaign for mandatory backdoors in commercial encryption just got undercut by the *former head of the NSA*:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/13/technology/nsa-michael-hayden-encryption/

quote:

General Michael Hayden, now retired, was speaking at a cybersecurity conference in Miami Beach. He expressed his unwavering support for encryption, a feature that protects voice calls or texts by turning data into nonsensical, indecipherable code.

"I disagree with [FBI director] Jim Comey," Hayden said in a speech. "I actually think end-to-end encryption is good for America."

"There's a consensus on this among mathematicians and cybersecurity experts. Encrypting data protects everything. It raises a wall that keeps out everyone. Forcing companies to keep an extra set of keys to unlock customer data makes them a target for foreign spies and criminal hackers too.

"I know encryption represents a particular challenge for the FBI," Hayden said. "But on balance, I actually think it creates greater security for the American nation than the alternative: a backdoor."

Suck it, Comey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The laserdisc copies are available on the net via torrents, and they look fantastic.

Look for the Despecialized Editions. An obsessive fan worked with a bunch of sources, upscaled and color-corrected, and got rid of all the Lucascruft, to produce them. They're amazing.

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-V25-MKV-IS-OUT-NOW/id/12713