Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Oh Hell No posted:

Do these people think hearing people aren't capable of learning sign language? Because I've met quite a few hearing kids with deaf parents or siblings who grew up using both ASL and spoken English.

So there's this Thing where the big deaf college was mad that their president wasn't born deaf. They were "not deaf enough" because they weren't born deaf to deaf parents and with a deaf spouse and deaf children. This president had a hearing spouse and hearing children and a deaf mother but was raised to speak orally and only learned sign language later.

So it doesn't matter if they can learn sign language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SodomyGoat101 posted:

From a couple pages back, but no. It wasn't that she wasn't "deaf enough", it's that she wasn't deaf at all. The majority of the Board of Trustees were also not deaf. The students didn't believe that their interests were sufficiently represented. The whole thing exploded because before Elizabeth Zinser was elected there had been substantial campaigning from Gallaudet's students and public support from all over the place, and the Board still put the only hearing person on the ballot in charge.

Nah, that case was completely understandable. I was talking about a different case of it, as Albie mentioned.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Aesop Poprock posted:

What is up with pigeons and people that love them? Aren't they like the dumbest birds in the world next to owls? Are they capable of showing affection?

People can like dumb creatures. And yes, they can show affection! The person who does Manly Guys Doing Manly Things has fancy pigeons and they are pretty adorable.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Has our society really become so degenerate that not knowing how to do drugs is considered a "bad" thing now?

If you're going to insult someone, it is best to understand what you are insulting. If you really obviously don't know what you're talking about, absolutely nobody is going to take you seriously.

/serious answer

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Whole lotta criminally boring people in here all the sudden.

I absolutely want to know who LoB is quoting though because HOLY poo poo.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bean_shadow posted:

Same thing as how everyone claims to be 1/16th Native American. And it's usually always Cherokee.

The only appropriate situation to bring that up in is when someone asks why someone paper white tans to cardboard after one day at the beach. Or if someone asks.

like, it drives me nuts when people are looking at ~racial issues~ and pop up with "AS SOMEONE WHO IS BARELY GENETICALLY QUALIFIED"...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

man, Psylocke is DIRE, costume and backstory-wise. I think she dodged straight into the bullet on that one.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm pretty sure it's "my girlfriend locks her phone and I don't trust her cause all girls are sluts so I'm pretty sure she's loving other dudes"

When obviously he was trying to creep on her phone in the first place, cause doubting your SO to the point of spying on their private poo poo is healthy and good

EVERYONE LOCKS THEIR GODDAMN PHONE. I don't know anyone who doesn't lock their phone. This guy has the dumbest argument.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I just know paranoid sluts, then. The only reason I lock mine is to keep it from taking pictures of the inside of my bags or accidentally opening apps or whatever.

And that I'm a slut, of course.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Aesop Poprock posted:

"be a great help meet to him"?

Honestly, "help-mate" makes more sense.

It just means a helpful partner. And I can agree on that much? You're not supposed to just leave everything to your partner.

Don't know how that translates to "do all the chores, you bitch" though.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Byzantine posted:

"Helpmeet" is the archaic form of "helpmate".

Yeah, I just figure they're reading it as "help meet", two disjointed words that don't seem to quite make sense together, which is fair. Helpmate would be a better modern-day "I understand what you mean" translation.

chitoryu12 posted:

Die Antwoord and their fans are accusing the Suicide Squad movie of ripping off their style for the Joker and Harley Quinn (pretty sure their style was all taken from certain comics that already existed, but whatever).

That Joker thing definitely did not come from comics, it came from "drug dealers on Instagram." I mean, they already pointed out where the "inspiration" came from, and it's something you can see pretty easily. I don't know why Die Antwoord is so convinced it was them in particular. Are they drug dealers on Instagram?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That Joker is from All-Star Batman and Robin, just one of many reasons why we should bury Frank Miller prematurely.

Oh, okay, THAT'S why I was caught off-guard. I forgot the Joker from that COMPLETELY.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Pesticides linked to ‘large-scale population extinctions’ of wild bees: Major study spanning nearly two decades and most of England shows use of controversial neonicotinoid pesticide by farmers is associated with the demise of nearby bee populations by maxwellhill in worldnews
[–]Rollakud -21 points 17 days ago*
There is literally no reason for Bees to exist and their extinction would benefit us a great deal. Why do you need them? So they can inject venom into our bloodstream that'll eventually cause death? Although I don't live in England I'm hoping this epidemic reaches the USA so we can have a little bit of peace.

How the gently caress has this idiot never heard of pollination?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah that's also something that I found off about the witcher where you're supposed to be reviled as a mutant freak and there are a couple one off lines about it but it never goes anywhere because it would impede game play.

At least in dude sex you get passport controlled when you take the non Aug paths in the metro.

Well, I think they actually did that fine in the Witcher, because he's the kind of mutant freak who is necessary. People are cool with him... you know, as long as he's fighting enormous, terrifying monsters.

Also, when your variety of mutant freak means you are really good at killing things, people might be too scared to speak up about how much of a mutant freak you are. I actually remember in Witcher 1 going "WHY are you cool with saying this to me, I'm a murder machine" and then feeling satisfied when he threatens to kill the entire drat village if they gently caress over the witch. THIS IS WHY YOU GUYS SHOULD SHUT UP.

I call this one "FuckYou.jpg"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Midnight Voyager posted:

I call this one "FuckYou.jpg"

and now I've seen someone trying to explain this as totally a fine thing to say but in a CONTEXT, GEEZ

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RareAcumen posted:

So, just as a heads up, this isn't a video of some MRA or anti-feminist or something, it's just a guy who does occasional videos of him and his friends playing video games. The only thing happening here is that Mafia 3 has a black guy as the protagonist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY8ZvY8aTlc

Also, I started looking at these other threads and this De'Souza guy might be about half as dumb as Trump.

Sure am glad that gamers are so welcoming to all types of different people. :smugdon:

gently caress, I saw that video kinda soon after it went up, so I only saw the first part of the first one. I see it didn't improve any with time!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njauePtToIU

The guys at Achievement Hunter played a game about saving Trump- sorry, RUMP from being shot.

The comments were instantly filled with assholes who clearly didn't watch the video where they went through GREAT PAINS not to court the inevitable lovely responses they knew they'd get.

Some choice gems:

quote:

I'll never understand how people think it is funny joking about killing a man, even if you think he is vile. Hillary Clinton is a terrible person, but I don't wish death on her.

quote:

I do not with death for Hillary as well. I want her to suffer. Killing her and all the pathetic excuses of human beings that are beside her is giving them the easy way out. I want her AT LEAST to spend a lifetime in prison. But death would suffice if that was the only thing I could get. Not because I want her dead out of revenge, but to stop her from doing anything further. Wanting someones death from hatred and rage IS inhuman. Wanting it to stop the demise of many other, potentially good, people is only sensible.

quote:

She'll die on her own from her seizure condition pretty soon, don't need to worry 'bout that.

quote:

We need trump for president, not the murderous lying Hillary. The lies that she say and things she covers up are super scary, and you think the two are comparable, just how the gently caress?

quote:

ITT: people who need their neighborhoods enriched by refugees

quote:

Or how many people are going to die when Hillary makes an executive order of war against Russia for the leaks when there's no evidence of the Russians being involved. Or the wish to destabilize Turkey and many of Russia's allies. I believe a big reason no one wants to vote for Trump is "He's a warmonger!", but Hillary's already laid out a plan for a decent sized war.

quote:

If someone made a game like this about hillary they and their family would go missing!

quote:

thats cuz liberals are liars and hypocrites. honestly Hillary is more sexist and racist than Trump

quote:

honestly Hillary is more sexist and racist than Trump

quote:

more sexist and racist than Trump

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cptn_dr posted:

I agree. Everyone would do better with a more diverse neighbourhood. A good comment.

Someone did make this comment in response. Sadly, no "UGGGH YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN" responses

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

They are missing every innovation on the Y chromosome.

Instead, they just got another copy of the same kind of chromosome they already had. They are missing all that originality. They got a double dose of the conventional. Instead of intuition and a rational mind, they got intuition and intuition.

While I'm at it, I know of a few people who would disagree that having a Y chromosome made them any better.

Midnight Voyager has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Oct 26, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RaspberryCommie posted:

I dunno if this is the joke, but all of those things are on the X chromosome. The reason why those (mostly) affect men is because women have a second X chromosome that basically overrides the bad one, while men don't.

Women know the importance of backups.

But I think I may have found, and I may be giving him too much credit, this idiot's potential source for this line of thought.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/science/14gene.html

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Let's play First Thread Comment vs Last Thread Comment, Youtube Version!

This is from Everything Wrong With The Da Vinci Code in 15 Minutes Or Less.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Intoluene posted:

I feel like 20 posts is a long jump for youtube comments to reach that level of venom. I would have expected 10, maybe.

Looking at the actual comment thread, the thing she is replying to was the sixth reply. So you're not wrong!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I almost never look at Facebook, but I went to look at a picture, and... my aunt happened. Different names, but she is always the one in pink.

kill me

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also, I can't be the only one completely horrified at that "inspiring" picture where she's holding the baby that is in no way equipped to be out of her body, a black/purple mass of cells. Put that kid in an incubator or something, jesus.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Context: A video of Outlast, which has a pair of twin dudes that run around naked.

Let's play the Youtube comment g- wait, hold on, there's nothing in between those except several hours.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Transmogrifier posted:

Oh there's even more.

:psyduck: Apparently he's a big soap opera fan too?

Didn't Captain America straight-up resign to protest government corruption during Watergate? Didn't he literally fight Nixon?

Sorry, I'm a woman, I'm not supposed to read these things, but apparently I read them more than he does.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

credit to the content zone for making sonicfield

What is happening to my eyes

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

trapped mouse posted:

This woman writes so much stuff without actually making any sense of any point she's making.

A: What possible reason do you have to dispute Obama's birth age? If he were a couple years younger, that would make him 44 at his inauguration. The minimum age to be president is 35. The only thing I could think of is that they were somehow off by a decade and thought that was another reason he couldn't be president.

B: Real classy referring to human children as a litter when it's immigrants doing it.

C: Ann Dunham (Obama's mother) was born in Kansas. She has been a U.S. citizen her whole life. Did this person think that just because she was living in Hawaii at the time she was born in Hawaii? Or is this another unfounded conspiracy that she too is not a U.S. citizen and the stars all aligned to make sure little Barry O could never become president without lies and deception.

I think this failure is genuinely so dumb that you missed it. I don't blame you because I'm still reeling.

She insists that since Hawaii became a state in 59 and Obama was born in 61 that Obama was born before Hawaii was a state.

like, I think my brain just stopped functioning there

Or is she seriously saying that Hawaii became a state it doesn't count as living in a state before...

gently caress me, I need a drink

Midnight Voyager has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Nov 7, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

That's what I thought at first too, but what they're saying in the followup is that the parents need to be in the country for 14 years before their child is eligible for citizenship, and 59-61 is only two years, not 14.

I'll leave it to someone else to say whether that 14 years thing is true or not, but either way his mom being born in Kansas ought to make it irrelevant anyway.

But even if she was born in Hawaii or whatever, wouldn't that mean she lived in what is now a US state her whole life? Does it only count once we make it a state? Is everyone in a place we make into a state suddenly foreign squatters???

What is going ON??

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DicktheCat posted:

I almost threw up at the polls today because a) I live in Bammy, and there was literally no one running against an all Republican ballot for the state Supreme Court. Every option was one judge, or you could write in, that's it. And b) I know that Trump is likely to win mu state no matter what I do.

Oh, and c) my father, at some time today, will be throwing his vote at the orange relresentation of the uncontrolled American id. I share 50% of my genes with this man, and 100% of me is embarrassed.

Hey, "Why do we only have one loving option here" buddy! Guess I don't need to know anything about any of the candidates when the whole list only has one option!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys, remember my aunt? She's back.

Aunt, I want you to read that previous link. The one with things you said. Focus on the one where you linked something that a commenter refuted and then went WELL SHE'S BAD ANYWAY.

And now, in tangentially related news, from the same aunt, I have two words: Global warming.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sigh. My aunt is Louis. Of course she can say this since her side won, but if they didn't, she'd flip.

And this one's from my cousin's son, gently caress YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ularg posted:

Facebook friend just told me he did me a solid by making sure I have no insurance come January.

That is not a friend.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my aunt is still going

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Note: I have no idea who these people are. They are in a comment to a post someone I know reacted to or something.

Oh, and more from my aunt with LITERAL soldier worship.

Midnight Voyager has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Nov 11, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My aunt discovers STDH and seems to end with "It's your right to protest, but suck it up and deal with it and don't protest."

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Pink is my cousin's son. I noticed something a bit funny about the source of this video he shared...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

catholic schools like i attended

This explains some things.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GO AWAY, AUNT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My aunt posts a Fox article. The content of the article is basically "he hired a black man who said he was treated well."

Also there's the recent talking point about how he helped desegregate schools. Well, there's more than one way to penalize black students for being black.

The only source I can find for these desegregation claims is this on Wikipedia: He denied that he had not sufficiently pursued civil rights cases, saying that "when I was [a U.S. Attorney], I signed 10 pleadings attacking segregation or the remnants of segregation, where we as part of the Department of Justice, we sought desegregation remedies".

PS: We live in Alabama, so this isn't some guy from somewhere else.