Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

The reason it's called World War One is that it the whole world fought in it for gently caress's sake.

1 million Indian soldiers served in the UK army during world war 1 under the Indian Army. We would have not won either WW1 or 2 had it not been for the Indian Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

This still didn't stop Australia from making concentration camps for immigrants.

Having a better system doesn't automatically make you better people, Australia is packed full of trash people.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ularg posted:

Wait, what?

https://twitter.com/thatkevinsmith/status/3534889194360833

There's one for starters.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

There's been a weird whitewashing of the IRA in recent years. I remember when Burn Notice came on and one of the goodies was an ex-IRA member and it wasn't a big deal at all, and there's been something even more recent that did similar. Like, I can't imagine in 10 years time we'll have ISIS characters were supposed to be on board with.

I remember this. I'm Scottish but half my family were in Belfast and the IRA were a big thing growing. The way she was presented in the show was bizarre like the IRA where some cool spec-ops military unit which they totally weren't.

There was another show that had the villain as a member of the IRA who flew around the world in a private jet and was so dangerous he had to be held in a secret north Korean prison camp.

There were also on that most dangerous show as if they were a proper military organisation going up against special forces and not just some guys with power tools and drugs to sell.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

King of Foolians posted:

I also use paper plates a lot because I live alone and I don't have a dishwasher and throwing it away is easier than washing a plate by hand. I also use plastic utensils. I do own real plates though, I just save them for when I have company.

You're a cancer in society, seriously just wash your plates.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

on the bored wop posted:

https://twitter.com/Hiraghm/status/825359249383493634

What does "reparations for dogs and horses" even mean? :crossarms:

It means if we are to pay reparations for slavery then we should also pay it to dogs and horses because black people are literally animals. Also slavery was a good thing, not so much standing upon the shoulders of giants as standing upon the backs of the oppressed.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

Then how is the mail supposed to get in?!

How do you think mail gets into your house?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It's worth noting to non-british people that his twitter handle is a spoonerism of Gollywog a pretty racist pin badge you used to get from collecting jam.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

Is it in Canada or and Australia that the police literally murders POCs by dumping them so far from town that they die from exposure trying to walk back?

Both!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the weirdest part about A Clockwork Orange fandom is that every Halloween you see some females dressed up as droogs

do they not realize they're glorifying rape?

It's Halloween, you're supposed to dress up as something scary to go guising.

Though going by your description of women as females I assume you're disappointed they don't go dressed up as sexy droogs.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm glad someone explained who this Nick Robinson was because the only one I know of presents the Today show

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Robinson

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

jivjov posted:

Same. But when the White House is posting photos of prayer meetings in the Oval Office, and pastors are claiming that bombing Kim Jong Un is mandated by gods....I'm gonna have to be equally vocal in my requests that they either back up their claims or shut up about it.

You can be as vocal as you like, it's just that no one gives a poo poo about your opinion.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm a little behind on this, but can we go back to those "taxation is theft" guy for a second? Forget the whole "anyone who benefits for taxes is a commie" part. We'll even let him slide on "commies aren't human" for now, even though by his definition and staggering ignorance of what taxes are actually used for, that's basically everyone.

He calls taxation "literally stealing your money at gunpoint".

I... what? :thunk:

The reasoning goes something like, if you refuse to pay your taxes then the IRS (Assuming they're American) will issue court proceedings against you. If you refuse to go to court, which you will because you don't believe in the IRS, then the police will come an arrest you for tax evasion. The police have guns, ergo they're stealing your money at gun point.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ularg posted:

Because his corporate utopia wouldn't be filled with bounty hunters making him empty his wallet at actual gunpoint.

You just yell 'I do no consent' at them until your paid-for-police turn up and enforce the laws you've paid up for.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jurgan posted:

Have these "requests" ever actually accomplished anything? Do you think insulting people's beliefs is likely to get them to agree with you?

Of course not because he's never actually done it. He's sitting stroking himself off about how he'd totally stick it to the man with his reason and logic, when in reality no one gives a poo poo about his opinion because he's no one.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

toanoradian posted:

So many of the replies there are people missing the point and going "yeah but he's right, though, both are bad" as if saying "nazis are bad" exclusively mean "only nazis are bad".

First they came for the Nazis, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Nazi.

Job Done

I'm a filthy European so I don't understand the equivalence of Nazis with Communists that you seem to get in the US, but then again so is Notch so i've no idea where he gets these ideas from.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

Who doesn't put anything to flavour things like oatmeal or grits? It would be like boiling a whole potato then eating it like an apple.

I just put salt on my porridge and it's delicious. I've tried it with brown sugar as well just not the same, salt all the way. I also like eating boiled potatoes.

I am also Scottish.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Well no wonder, your porridge gets plenty of flavor from being boiled in sheep's stomachs, obviously.

pfft it's not porridge if you're boiling in a sheep's stomach, and anyway real stomachs are rarely used anymore.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Who What Now posted:

So do you use... Synthetic stomachs?

Yup, they're called bungs, which i suppose sounds nicer than synthetic stomach, and made of cellulose now. Still 100% pluck inside them of course. Unless you're American in which case no lungs for you.

You can still get real stomachs but they're rarer, mainly because 1 sheep makes more than one haggis.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

nael posted:

Don't bigots consider their own stupid beliefs virtuous? I figure when they're saying awful hateful poo poo, they're virtue signalling to other bigots.

Its almost as if Virtue Signalling is a bullshit term used as a tool to try to quash debate and belittle people you disagree with, or don't even disagree with but want to belittle anyway.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 09:28 on Nov 8, 2017

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

Holy stream of consciousness. So is "APP" and acronym or did she just forget to do Find/Replace with the name of the app?

If you search and replaced all occurrences of APP with a name it still doesn't make that much sense. Like I get what her app does, it's just dumb.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm legit bothered that there's guys out there that think masturbating in front of women is okay, that it does no harm because they weren't touched.

Why are there so many broken people

It mostly seems to be the same argument people apply to lots of things, 'You can't complain about X because Y has it much worse'. So when they're looking at thier chart of Comedian serial sex offenders they see Bill Cosby is a serial rapist so what Louis CK did is way down the chart from that so they shouldn't complain about it. They'll leap to the defence of anything thats less than the full Cosby.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Idiots on Social Media : You cannot culture whip your dick out and force gently caress your way into a people

It's quite a journey yellow took there, from just a guy into actually a Maori so not racist.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/SofieHagen/status/948921518255419392

Twitter Support working as intended?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

The problem for some people is that it was taught for a longass time that "they" is incorrect grammar, and that the gender-indeterminate pronoun should ALWAYS default to "he."

The problem for a lot of people, I think, is "I've never had to think about this before and I don't want to start now."

And the rest are just garden variety "gently caress you for wanting out of the gender binary." Which is basically just a jerkier version of #2.

I doubt the resistance is going to last very long, given how quickly and naturally "they" has swept the English language. The only problem I see with it is the conjugation is a little awkward, and that's just going to solve itself in a generation or so.

There's the other side of the issue in which some non-binary folks don't want to be referred to as 'they' as well. Possibly because it could imply they were a group of people in certain contexts.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

"They and I went to the store."

Sounds dumb and bad

"We went to the store"?

I mean how often are you saying

"He and I went to the store" anyway?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

I was browsing Amazon looking for some new Bluetooth headphones that aren't super expensive and one of the listings contained this great exchange (translated from French)

Uh, thanks I guess?

I was doing exactly the same thing and saw that question answer. Also a 1 star review where the only text was 'you can hear every word thats sung'.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

lol what do you think french rroma look like mate

(Hint: In the US they'd be ~white~ only because Latino is only for Spanish/Portugese speakers)

They absolutely would not be considered white in the US. The Roma are one of the most racially oppressed groups in Europe, we have segregated schools in Eastern Europe who do not lets Roma children sit near their white ones. The US is all about racial segregation and suppression so it's unbelievable they would treat gypsies as white.

I could see how you could reformat the story and make Esmeralda from a trailer-park or something and make her white. But that doesn't seem to be what they were doing with their story. It's one of those ones where the characters race plays into her social standing and therefor what happens to her. I could see why people would be upset at casting a white girl in that role, the most beautiful Gypsy in all of Paris is in fact a white girl is not a great message.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

No, none of the travelers are especially marginalized or suffer active racism the way they do in Europe; it's deeply loving weird how they handle the thing.

I'm not saying you (as a country) are racist towards the Roma, but if you had a significant number of Roma in your country you absolutely would be. Based on literally every other non-white ethic group you have there.

So you have no Roma in the US, but you want an analogue to tell Esmeralda's story then it stands to reason you would use one of the oppressed minorities you do have.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

Canada. Changed a couple of words in the anthem and it's a huge loving national crisis and nothing else in the universe matters anymore.

Just go back to God Save the Queen, that will help the situation.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

In america (and canada) racism is mostly based on appearance and language/accent rather than long running cultural conflicts. So many Travellers have the opportunity for their children to fully integrate and be "white," but only if they are willing to give up visible cultural markers.

The Roma also just get confused with Hispanics and Native Americans because of the dark skin and hair.

Here's an interesting article about it

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2011/04/20114145828641489.html

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So I was listening to Aiden Moffat on youtube and found this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwQgMRxOYGQ

Oh I wonder what people are saying in the comments?

Not too often you see a straight up paedophile posting on youtube.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

How does that look if you take out suicides?

Has it crossed your mind that your meticulous research and data gathering is loving worthless because you're going into it with 'guns are good' viewpoint.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

quote:

We're not asking teachers to become the next Chris Kyle. We're asking them to shoot a bad guy that's shooting at them and their students.

Good because he was killed by a crazy guy with a gun, whilst armed himself.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

https://twitter.com/noamschiller/status/973682816180477954

Harding probably had the most corrupt administration ever before Trump.

Wait Warren G was president? I mean I heard he was big on regulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plPyJdXKIY

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Not that can't be right because it was Samson who collapsed the two pillars...

Temple of Dagon Was an inside job.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think Nepalese dumplings are called momo but I still don't get the joke.

That is a Water Buffalo and those are Momo. The joke being Water Buffalo's are incredibly dangerous and Momo's are made from minced Water Buffalo.

Edit, it might be a Yak as they use Yak's in Momo's more than other places. You'd need an cow identifier to work it out. It's still the same joke really, Buff Momo's (or Yak) good

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 11:55 on Apr 6, 2018

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

fizzymercy posted:

It's not complicated because it doesn't make much sense. If you don't like yak, you're not going to like yak dumplings. Cool. What does that mean? Do the yak and the dumplings represent something? Is it just a reminder that you're not going to like someone you already hate just because they're dressed up nice and...cooked til hot and fluffy?

:goonsay:

I have to assume you're joking now or something because no one is that stupid. To so thoroughly misunderstand the phase 'If you don't love me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best.' to the point where you type something like that...

Here, have Vogue explain the meme to you

https://www.vogue.com/article/if-you-dont-love-me-at-my-meme-best-of-funniest

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Apr 6, 2018

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Foxhound posted:

So is "trad" just another word for coservative or is it some other dumb made up term?

Do people seriously not know the word trad? As in traditionalists, it almost always means conservative but not always. It's hardly new though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

wallaka posted:

They're the same blades in a different packaging so they can charge 40% more to women for the same product BUT PINK!!!

This, the razors are basically identical except the womens razors cost more.