Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

rotaryfun posted:

That sort of program almost has to be a subscription. There's stuff running in the background which requires servers and bandwidth. I'm not paying that just to be able to control my notifications. I actually don't use it much but when I do it's been really nice. But I'll probably end up paying anyway because it is a good program and I'm about supporting good developers.

Pushbullet is $40/year now. I like it a lot, but not for that price.

What were the alternatives? I stopped paying attention after finding Pushbullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

THF13 posted:

There's still a free version, what pro features do you need?

Taking action on notifications. So much easier to click something away if I'm at my computer- it doesn't interrupt what I'm doing.

E: I don't mind paying for it, but I can't justify $40/yr to not be slightly annoyed by my phone.

effika fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 17, 2015

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

Earlier in the thread, goons recommended Metal. It's a wrapper for the FB website. I've been using it for... umm... I don't remember how many months now, but it works pretty well. It has a dark theme, and it lets you read your messages instead of having FB tell you to install Messenger.

The only real complaints I have are:

1) If a post has a certain amount of text in it, there's a Read More... at the bottom. Tapping the post takes you directly to it, and also shows you all comments. It doesn't always remember your place when you go back to the timeline, and will stick you back at the top.

2) If you have a message, and you dismiss the notification, but don't read the message, it keeps coming back.

I get the feeling that both of those are FB issues, though, and not app issues.

Can confirm that #1 is a Facebook issue. I have the same problem if I don't open Read Mores in a new tab, desktop or mobile browser.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

deong posted:

I've not gotten any since April. It annoys me more than it should. I was getting over every week or two. I check it every few weeks and sigh.

It really likes it when I go to the university here for a rehearsal. We don't meet in the summer, and my surveys drop off significantly during that time. I guess it's looking for certain locations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Newf posted:

I'm looking for something to do fine-grained configuration on sms notifications. Specifically, I'd like texts from specific people to ding / buzz continuously (or at some interval) until read / dismissed by me. Any recommendations?

Try Light Flow.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Wrist Watch posted:

I just noticed my phone has google assistant when I hold the home button.

Is this anything besides the usual google now/ok google/ok google now/now on tap rebrand?

For whatever reason, the assistant can't tell you what song is playing. If you have it listen in the normal Google Now screen it does so just fine.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

Semi-related question: I just got my first new phone since Jelly Bean, and I'm looking for the best free way to skip to the next track without looking at the screen. The stock Music app has a pretty cool "next track on shake" feature, but it doesn't seem to work with Play Music, which I like a lot more.

I like Wave Control, which uses the proximity sensor to send commands to whatever's playing. Not the best option for you if your phone is an a pocket, but it's what I use while driving since I don't have bluetooth in my car.

The free version has ads, and is a perfectly functional set of basic features. I like the pay version (Wave Control Pro) because it adds a few more features and was free since I used my Google Opinion Rewards fun money on it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Is there a recommended QR reader? There are a ton of them on the Play Store and they all look a little shady.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

vyst posted:

Google Goggles does this I think

I can't get it to work on my Pixel. :lol:

This works well! Thanks.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I signed into Facebook Messenger for about an hour yesterday, then decided to uninstall it when I kept getting contacts "waving" at me.

I've uninstalled it, logged out of it on Facebook, yet I still get these idiots waving at me via messages on Facebook. It never happened before signing into Messenger.

Anything I can do app-wise to stop it? Or am I just going to have to deal with knowing all my Facebook friends are idiots forever?

Edit: signed in, signed out, and went to Facebook to log out the session. Hopefully that has fixed it.

effika fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 12, 2017

effika
Jun 19, 2005

swampface posted:

Are there any good weather apps? I've had Weather Timeline on my phone for 6 months or so and it is convinced that it is always raining, about to rain, or that the rain will be stopping soon, regardless of the actual conditions (it hasn't rained in several weeks).

Weather Underground can't make a pretty widget to save their life, but it's always been as accurate as weather can be.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Timely stopped doing the pre-alarm when I got my Pixel, but with the latest patch to Android O it's been working again. It's worked flawlessly for me otherwise.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Is there an alternative to Mint? It wants Intuit credentials now to log in and if I have to go through making another account I might as well see if there is something better out there.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Hasn't mint used Intuit credentials since the days of Froyo? :confused:

Apparently, but they changed the log-in page to say Intuit now. And somehow that made it forget my account even existed? Not just on the phone, but on the website, too. I don't know what happened. I'm probably just forgetting which email I signed up with, but I'm glad I asked the question because:

torturemyballs posted:

I stopped using Mint for Personal Capital awhile ago and haven't looked back.

Thermopyle posted:

My favorite is YNAB.

These both look like fine choices. Thanks!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Guillermus posted:

I just install swiftkey and get done with, google board became so bad.

SwiftKey has been super aggressive with autocorrect lately, so I went back to GBoard last week.

The predictions all feel like they're for other people, not me. The words are rarely what I want/need.

So it's back to SwiftKey and a bit of proofreading before sending stuff out.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Does AMDroid have a way to dismiss upcoming alarms? I used to be able to do that from the notification shade when I as using Timely, once it was baked into Android.

AMDroid doesn't seem to tap into that, I guess?

I'm on a Pixel.

It's impossible to search for help with this app with that name being so close to Android.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
AMDroid chat: I figured it out. I just needed to play with the notification settings in the app to get it to show up and choose when it comes up (the Delay option).

Thanks for the suggestions, thread!

I am really liking AMDroid's calendar integration. Now that I have everything set up I won't have to set reminders to set alarms!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I think the answer to this will be to delete the email or sign out of maps, but maybe there is another solution.

Google Maps is picking up appointments from my email. This has been fine, but I was about to show somebody a map and it had BIG EMBARRASSING APPOINTMENT on it, and I can't seem to find a way to have it not do that.

Like I said, I think the only solution is to delete the email, but if others have any ideas I'd love to hear.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

fishmech posted:

Are the appointments showing up on Google Calendar as well? You can remove the location information from the calendar entry if so (and move the location info to the notes section if you still need it) and then Maps won't remind you of that location for that appointment anymore.

It's not a calendar entry - I do have an event for it, but it doesn't have any location info with it or even a location in the subject.

Blue Train posted:

Good luck with your hemorrhoid surgery friend

ty, this is the thread that truly cares

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

You could install another navigation app like Here.

Bingo! I have enough storage space that it doesn't really tax it to install another map app.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

AnimalChin posted:

What does the Twitter app do or not-do that inspires you folks to go 3rd party?

Just wondering what I'm missing out on.

Pulling tweets out of order into an "in case you missed it" thing, showing me tweets someone I follow liked (leading to seeing the same tweets multiple times), tweets will sometimes not show up or if they do not be in chronological order (I regularly get a different timeline between mobile and web).

effika
Jun 19, 2005

YggiDee posted:

I don't know, it was a website I visit quite frequently, and now that I've checked the reviews, I'm not the only person this is happening to.

Yeah it just goes off the deep end for me sometimes. I just switch to Gboard or Swype or whatever for a few days/weeks until it updates again and then it usually behaves better.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Atahualpa posted:

Is there any voice recording app that stands head and shoulders above the rest? I'm not looking for anything special for now, just a few basic features:

- Able to record in-person conversations/interviews without much setup (1-2 taps from main screen to start recording)
- Able to name the resulting audio files and play them from the app itself
- Able to sort said files by date recorded/name/length
- No length limits, doesn't stop recording until told to stop or out of space
- Uses a standard format like MP3 that can be easily transferred to/played on other devices
- Doesn't have any weird privacy/battery/whatever issues

It would also be nice if there are options to help filter out background noise or make basic edits from the same app, but that's not essential.

I like Easy Voice Recorder. I think it checks all those boxes, or at least most of them. It even had a widget so you can tap and immediately start recording. (I use it mostly to record myself playing music during practice sessions and the widget is great for it.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

vyst posted:

All I know is if they remove the ability to upload songs I'm peaceing right the gently caress out to Spotify.

They do need to improve their curation so I'm on board with them investing energy into it.

Definitely bailing of they remove that.

I'd love my likes and plays on my phone to sync with my webview. It never has and I don't know why. It'd be nice to see it get some attention.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Is there a good image editing/annotating app out there? I'm mostly looking to do things like cropping, adding annotations (Arrows, etc.) in screenshots and photos. I've used Pixlr, but I'm not a huge fan and am guessing there's something better.

Photo Editor by dev.macgyver might be a little overkill for what you need, but I like it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

peepsalot posted:

Cool, thanks everyone. I'll give Strava a try on my next ride.

Also if you still can't get the accuracy you want, get a GPS watch or a bike computer with GPS. My watch really upped the accuracy on my maps.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

hooah posted:

Does anyone use Google's News app? I've liked getting a notification in the morning with the day's highlights, but since either the update to Pie or when I reset my phone it's stopped giving the notification. I checked the app's settings and the daily briefing is on.

I'm getting double the notifications, from the old app and the new one, so maybe I just stole yours.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Does anyone want to rehash favorite weather apps? Weather Underground has been crashing constantly and I felt surely it must have decent competition now.

Requirements for me are a widget that shows the heat index/wind chill/Real Feel/etc temperature and that the app itself display things like wind speed and direction. Radar I can always get via another app so I'm less concerned with good work there.

I really wanted to like Dark Skies, but the app didn't show me wind speed/direction.

So far 1Weather is working OK, but it's a bit disorganized.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

edit: most of the widgets are simple "place, temp" in various sizes but it has a "detailed" widget that's 4x2 and resizable. added it real quick to show you

you change all the widget coloring so no you're not stuck on yellow or anything.

Taffer posted:

Most importantly, it has this

Oooh, SOLD.

And Weather Timeline's muted, simple interface is a joy after all those chaotic poorly designed apps. (I went through at least 10 and most of them were terrible.)

nmfree posted:

Underneath the hourly weather info, the line where it says Temp • Feels-Like • Precip Prob can be scrolled left and right and you can select wind, dew point, etc.

Yeah it was fun playing around with that (UV is always nice), but I couldn't get it to show current conditions with wind. I'm probably just bad at discoverables, but if it isn't right up there with temperature at the top l wasn't going to go looking for it.

Thanks thread!

effika fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 19, 2018

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Google removed the Save Link functionality from the Inbox app! You can still use it in the browser, but I have literally never done that-I've always used it to save a link to view on the desktop later.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/17/google-removes-save-inbox-feature-android-app-still-available-web/

Dammit Google. I trusted you again.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Incessant Excess posted:

Weather timeline has been delisted and will eventually be discontinued due to API costs:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/09/17/weather-timeline-dev-pulls-award-winning-forecast-app-play-store/

I'm satisfied with the Google widget but I know there's some fans of WT here.

I just switched!

At least WeatherUnderground stopped crashing upon launch/button press.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
There's a kid mode that may be for you.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
What's the battery stats app we like now? My Pixel keeps dropping 10-15% overnight and I want to find the culprit.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I use this and have no complaints.

This is what I used to use when I needed a calendar widget. VERY customizable. Highly recommend spending the surveybux on it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

I saw that today and thought "oh, so they must be finished incorporating all the cool stuff about Inbox into Gmail now."

Nope.

If they would just make Gmail blue I'd switch back easier. The red feels so jarring now.

That and the lack of useful bundling without spending an hour setting everything up. And the archiving everything in a category or day.

I will likely unsubscribe from a lot of spammy coupon lists (looking at you, Dick's Sporting Goods and Paula's Choice skincare) that will take more effort to sort properly now than simply ignore until I look at them.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Taffer posted:

What kinds of playlists are people making that makes the 1000 limit annoying. Assuming normal song lengths that's nearly 3 days of non-stop play.

Maybe I just don't get it because I never saw a reason to make playlists. The closest I come is listen queues and that's just a few songs :shrug:

I make big play lists because my genre info is all screwed up and it's been easier to do that than fix metadata.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Oh hey the Weather Underground widget and app seem to have stopped crashing on load on Android 9 now, so I might just go back to that since MyRadar isn't great at forecasts for my area either.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

I've been using Weather Timeline forever and with an update they forced me to take today (because the app was straight up not working anymore) you can't choose what source you get weather data from anymore. It's forced from MyRadar which is fine, I guess. But I preferred DarkSky. Is Weather Timeline still the goto weather app?

If the new radar and forecast source is good for you it's fine. Otherwise look at other apps that may be more accurate for you.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

thehoodie posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask about this (please direct me if not), but google is shutting down Inbox and forcing everyone to move back to Gmail. I can't stand Gmail (why would I possibly want 5 separate I boxes) - is there an alternative that allows bundling, snoozing, and swooping like Inbox? Preferably with a desktop equivalent.

Why, google, why? :smith:

I'm having a lot of trouble going back myself. I think I'd be ok with tabs, but tabs don't show how many messages I have that are new in the app or even present them on the main page of the app.

I really like Outlook for work and I may give it a shot. It doesn't bundle but it can snooze and lets you swipe to perform actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I need bundles/label group headers to appear on the main screen, when they don't do that it's not useful for me.

Outlook trip report: I use Outlook on my work iPhone and love it. I was getting used to it on my Pixel 3, but it started requesting I sign back in to my Gmail account but wouldn't accept that I had. I have had to uninstall it and reinstall it to get it to sign in. It works for a few hours before it happens.

Search continues.

EDIT: Decided I would go nuts with labeling and notifications like in the Before Times and found out that I can't create, edit, or delete labels with the Gmail app. :doh:

I haven't logged into desktop mail in like a year. I just... I am clearly no longer Gmail's ideal user.

effika fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 20, 2019