Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I know the bodies aren't cold yet but did Obama start taking everyone's guns?! :ohdear:

It's too soon you cold hearted opportunist. Stop using this tragedy for your politics. We need time to heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Guy in a wife beater and carrying a motorcycle helmet being interviewed. He actually sounds more lucid than some of the news reporters.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They have no idea where this third guy is at.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nerve posted:

Thank you for posting a picture of a person that may or not be relevant at all that is helpful

It's in the story he cited so blame The Daily Beast if you're looking for the responsible party.

That aside; this story just gets more hosed up with every turn.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

CAIR is holding a press conference with a relative of one of the suspects at 11:30 ET / 8:30 PT.

There is so many ways this could make things worse and so little room to do anything even marginally helpful with this. I hope they don't gently caress this up even more.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
An all islamic lineup of perpetrators plays right into the NRA narrative of more guns for more people all day every day. There's not even a way to wedge an argument in about a need for gun restraint. Just loving loose the kraken and give everybody a gun at birth.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pohl posted:

They were laughing and joking around during the last presser. It was pretty jarring. It is almost like they don't know the cameras are on them, and it is a horrible optic. The officer for public relations was laughing her rear end off as was the ATF agent, then when the presser started they all lined up and looked solemn. I'm wondering if they are going to be called out on this behavior over the next few days.

They're ecstatic because not only do they all get to keep their jobs, they'll get a pay raise as the front line soldiers in the new U.S. war against Islamic Domestic Terrorism. They get new guns, new equipment, more of that old military equipment we wanted them to loose, more funding, more police officers. This poo poo is a huge win for our Militarized police and the U.S. For Profit Prison Industry. It's bigger than the Boston Bombing ever could have been.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crowsbeak posted:

How? Do we even know if he did it for ISIS?

It doesn't matter. Only his religious affiliation matters.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm gonna go with this being the most plausible scenario.

How many other terrorists have infiltrated our government?

There's that Ted Cruz guy from Canada and that Rubio guy whose parents came from Cuba.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone recommend the best comprehensive roundup of everything known about this? That "abandoned their infant daughter" comment just kicked me in the nuts.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If they aren't already, every Govt. agency in existence is going to be crawling up the rear end of anyone and everyone associated with whatever mosque these people attended.

VVVV edit: it's very hard for me to believe that a couple with a newborn decides to emulate Rampage and go out in a blaze of glory after an employment dispute

radical meme fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 3, 2015

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

Right Wing Extremists were at his house, holding his infant daughter at gunpoint. Their demand? That mild mannered Syed, an innocent civil servant who furiously rushed home from a work party after receiving a threatening phone call, do the unthinkable.

You know, that would actually make more sense than what we know so far.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Antti posted:

CARL MARK FORCE IV was joking but yeah, that actually seems like a more rational explanation, although it doesn't survive Occam's razor.

Women committing mass shootings, and with their partner no less, and they have a child, is extraordinary. You may need to reach decades to find a similar example in the industrial world. That's why it's tempting to think they did it for a common and understandable cause, like their kid. It also makes the religious angle more appealing than the disgruntled employee angle.

It's unfortunate they are both dead because this may have also been an example of folie à deux but we may never know for certain.

Yeah see, this is the horrible reality of this story. It's almost impossible to fathom what was going on here; so hopefully we learn a lot, lot more in the days and weeks to come. Otherwise, the easiest explanation to grasp a hold of in response to the question, "why would a mother of a newborn do this kind of thing" is the backwoods, redneck, duck dynasty Bubba response of, "fuckin muslims man, don't give a poo poo about nothin".

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the administration doesn't need to take any action, domestically, to protect americans from islamic terrorism because it's so rare

the fact that most americans are more scared of muslims than white people with guns just demonstrates how the the fears of many are just a bigoted farce

Even though I agree with this reasoning, it completely misses the point of why the public is scared. This incident is a perfect example of why people are scared shitless.

When a white dude with a gun shoots up an elementary school, a black church or a Planned Parenthood, the subsequent investigation almost always leads to the cause as being, that dude was loving crazy. But here, you have a seemingly sane and stable young man and his wife, with a newborn child, slaughtering innocent people and the only explanation that law enforcement can put forward is, they might have been radicalized. I mean come on, I said yesterday that the most plausible explanation for this was going to be the redneck, duck dynasty Bubba refrain of "fuckin muslims, am I right". And here we are and that's the only explanation that's coming out of this. People are scared of muslim terrorism because they can't explain it, they don't understand it, and there is no way to explain it in a soundbite.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Radbot posted:

Why is people snapping for seemingly no reason somehow more comforting that religious extremism?

Unzip and Attack posted:

Mass murdering a bunch of innocent people requires a person be "loving crazy".

It's not the same. People understand crazy. They don't understand religious radicalization that would cause people to slaughter innocent people.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Radbot posted:

So people understand the craziness that makes people murder dozens of innocents? What's this assertion based on?

Common sense. Reality. Take your choice.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Unzip and Attack posted:

The distinction you're trying to make isn't convincing. The dude that shot up PP is no less scary because he's white. Normal, peaceful Muslims look at yesterday's shooters and think "those people are crazy" and they are 100% right.

I agree. But, the vast majority of the U.S. population doesn't agree with you.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

My Imaginary GF posted:

We went to war in Iraq to stop Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon, not to kill millions of Iraqis in a crusade, you moonbat.

That's some loving revisionist history right there. I'd like to see a source that says we invaded Iraq to stop Iran.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jackofarcades posted:

One of the reasons Obama doesn't say "Radical Islam" is because we actually have some Radical Islam allies

This is a good point. In real terms, the West has no hope of achieving a peaceful relationship with the Middle East until it's willing to address the destructive ideology of it's good friends, the Middle East Monarchies.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DeusExMachinima posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...6ef3_story.html

All guns used in the shooting were Cali legal. RIP Obama's gun control attempt (even more than it already was).

This shooting was an NRA wet dream come true.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

McDowell posted:

That is the whole point - people like Adam Lanza and this couple weren't just lashing out - they were intentionally trolling to create cultural dissonance. This is a more nuanced definition of terrorism than 'political/ideological violence', in my opinion

From a few pages back. I completely agree with this. The facts surrounding this shooting are so unique and yet they still have elements that are common to terrorist acts. It's unique nature is what makes it so much more frightening. The most frightening commonality between the two is that there really is no way to stop either one from happening again.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

karlor posted:

Agreed. We will only know what happened at the party once the survivors recover and give their accounts of the events.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, which is why my initial post said it was speculation at this point.

I mean either they spontaneously radicalized since aside from facebook likes there isn't really a trail back to terrorist organizations or there was some sort of trigger since 5 years of working with someone is a hell of a long time to not see signs of being crazy along the way so I don't think this was a Lanza scenario.

The tale told by the survivors is not going to change either the political or journalistic narrative of this story; that's been set in stone and will continue forward without alteration or deviation: Islamic Radicals and ISIS sympathizers slaughter co-workers. That's it. The best outcome now is to hope that the story just goes away and is forgotten. If this, or something like it happens again soon, then all bets are off.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hodgepodge posted:

People who perpetrate such attacks want to be held responsible. In the case of say, Adam Lanza, who dressed as The Joker and shot up a theater full of people at a Batman movie, that is a significant aspect of their motivation for the attack in the first place.

Lanza was Sandy Hook. James Holmes did Aurora.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah, this comes from Douthat who is certainly not very respected around here but I can't say I disagree with the basic premise. It's hard to imagine starting up a new prohibition and giving the criminal justice system all sorts of new people to arrest without it disproportionately affecting minorities and the poor as basically everything in the criminal justice system does.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/06/opinion/sunday/liberalisms-gun-problem.html

That's a good editorial. Douthat, like Frum, can be enlightening at times. Unfortunately, neither of them speaks for political conservatives and being reasonable and sensible never wins the GOP primary. I've said this before but, the gun debate has been lost for at least the next generation of voters; at least 20 years into the future in my opinion. The Democrats need to just stay as far away from it as possible; calling for closing of the gun show loophole is as far as any Democrat should go. Democrats should just adopt a 10th Amendment strategy; no new federal laws are needed it just needs to be up to each state to decide. The argument can't be won at this point and Douthat's right, it would be almost impossible to implement a comprehensive solution; there are just too many guns already in circulation to ever make a difference.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Cruz's response:

Tepid.

That's just a happy face version of what Trump said. As a practical matter, it would be easier to implement Trump's plan than this.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

College students aren't the only youth, and even if they were it doesn't explain why they consistently vote during Presidential elections.

They have up to this point but, a lot of the laws and voting regulations designed to suppress the college vote have just been put into place recently. It will be interesting to see if they affect the 2016 election.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

Because they aren't Christians they are non-religious Paulists. To them religion is not something that inspires you to help your fellow man or lead a more fulfilled life, it's something that provides divine cover for your pre-existing prejudices. Worshiping in a congregation is not a gathering of spiritual people coming together to become something larger than their individual selves, it's a social club where membership confers "goodness" or "righteousness". Just like their Saint they get so bogged down in the weeds of whether or not women can teach, how much is ok to drink, is it ok to have "x" kind of sex, that they never actually bother to look at the words of their Messiah.

Well said. These are people who see a church and religious association as a means of networking to gain clients and influence.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

Yes Paul, not Jesus. That's was my point.

Yeah, I've always viewed Paul as the original televangelist.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fix posted:

Sorry if I missed it but I don't think anyone posted about Carson threatening to exit the GOP if they ratfuck Trump.

It's amazing to me how Carson flamed out so quickly after just a minimum amount of scrutiny. Absolutely nobody gives a poo poo what Carson says at this point. It's just a question of who will benefit most from his ultimate complete collapse.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bird in a Blender posted:

Oh god, Trump and I both had appendectomies at 10, and we both have good blood pressure. Am I doomed to be become him in my later years?

Also, no history of alcohol use? I have a hard time believing Trump doesn't drink.

He has always maintained that he doesn't drink. It is hard to believe though.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gravel Gravy posted:

With that kind of money I'm sure he has access to the most luxurious drugs

So he has an opioid addiction which explains why he is so full of poo poo.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

My Imaginary GF posted:

Either way, their scholarships often include room and board, and that aspect is not a qualified educational expense and must be reported on their taxes.

Unfortunately for Loeb, contributions are an exercise of free speech, not an investment.

You really don't know what your talking about. But based on your thinking, why would it possibly be income to the student and not the students parent or guardian; are you thinking that well, "they're 18 so just tax the child'. Does the university have to issue a W-2?

radical meme fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 14, 2015

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Paul Ryan said the omnibus bill would be posted today and voted on Thursday. It has yet to be posted. A Republican conference set for this afternoon has been pushed back to 9pm.

So, that's probably a good sign, right?

So that don't want to confirm a government shutdown until after the debate?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
OK, what the gently caress have they done with the primary threads now. RSF is gone.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

It's true, I'm afraid.

Who is Marshall Harford III and why should I care what he thinks?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Something Else posted:

It's satire you boobs

So is Cafe.com a satire site?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

In a sense.

I've always mourned the loss of National Lampoon. The Onion has never really filled that void for me.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fried Chicken posted:

New Orleans city council just voted 6-1 to remove confederate monuments

So that will be interesting

This kind of makes me sad. I think the South can embrace it's heritage and at the same time acknowledge how horrible it was. I've been to places in Europe where the do this quite well. Most of Germany fully embraces it's past and at the same time fully acknowledges how horrible the Nazis were. Instead of tearing down the monuments why not add plaques that acknowledge how horrible the Confederacy was?

I'm being 100% serious.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Radbot posted:

Because people in the South love their history and wish slavery still existed.

Yeah, I suppose if there were a total unwillingness to face your horrible past then the only alternative is to tear that poo poo down. But, I'd prefer to see acknowledgment of past transgressions over destruction of monuments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Talmonis posted:

I think at this point, the plaques would just be a band-aid. The people there genuinely see the Confederates as heroes. Only by removing that sense of legitimacy from the state grounds, will generational progress be possible.

I agree with your Confederate hero mythology but, I'd just like to point out that it wasn't just the South that created this mythology. Hollywood did as much to create that mythology as anyone and it was fully embraced by the entire nation. Gone with the Wind is considered one of the greatest movies ever in the history of Hollywood and just go back and watch it and see how it glorified the South and the Confederacy. The South, I'll admit, was never forced to embrace it's own horrible past.

• Locked thread