Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Grey Hunter posted:

That was a really good ship we sunk there!

The Dominion Monarch!

http://cruiselinehistory.com/the-dominion-monarch/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Grumio posted:

CL Natori still unclaimed on the lucky ship list if anyone's interested...

I want it!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

McNally posted:

Also the Carcano carbine. There are some that say that its performance was magic. Others say it was mindblowing.

:drat:

While we're making Kennedy references, at this point in his career is he anywhere near Grey's forces?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Having never played, can anyone tell me if Grey's 6000 plus political points are a little or a lot? What should be done with them at the point?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Both of Lusitania's sisters are gone...

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

28 February 1943

Russian minesweeper Gruz, torpedoed by E-boats in the Black Sea.

February was pretty light, all things considered.

Think that was related to sea conditions? I dont know how much winter weather affected naval action in WWII.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And when you're losing a war you turn towards some sort of megaweapon MEGAWEAPON MEGAWEAPON!

I appreciate this reference.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Am I right that the AM Advent was sunk by Yamato's main gun? Talk about overkill!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Grey Hunter posted:

This does put the carriers at some risk, but I trust my CAP.

Fighting Zeros while flying Buffaloes must be a hell of a thing.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Am I correct that the AI just used two seaplane tenders in the Jaluit 'invasion'?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

habeasdorkus posted:

Then they plaster the Kiddo Butai without losing a single carrier of their own, and all of a sudden the undefeatable Japanese Navy is cored. And THEN they sneak a task force right to the gates of Singapore, deep within what was thought to be Japanese controlled waters. After almost two years of getting bollocked both on land and at sea in the Pacific, they've just won the equivalent of Lepanto.

Of course, the news leaking out about how the Marines got stranded right after on Jaluit is gonna take some shine off that.

I would think Singapore gets talked about in this timeline like the Doolittle Raid was in our timeline. I wonder if the loss at Jaluit is even allowed in the press. American performance in the Pacific in this timeline probably gets a decidedly mixed review from history, something like "American industrial and technical supremacy covered several major flaws in strategic and operational thought".

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Adar posted:

The timeline where this happens IRL is a really fascinating one, though:

-Germany surrenders on schedule
-The Soviets are about to invade and everyone understands this
-After five years of throwing away people and boats for no real reason, the Americans have finally begun to get somewhere through sheer inertia
-Both the Chinese Nationalists and Communists don't exist anymore

A Japanese auto-victory here might as well be equivalent to 'Japan switches sides, Operation Unthinkable is a go' and the first ever nuclear bomb in human history gets dropped...on Vladivostok.

Post-war China is so hosed.

I'd think the odds of a Soviet intervention in this timeline would be lower given the general Allied ineptitude in the Pacific. The western Allies need Stalin's intervention badly. I wonder what his asking price would be?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Grey Hunter posted:

I feel like I have a KB now, and I need to face the Allies challenge to the south!

The Imperial High Command's current daydream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M1jLtLxD6E

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

habeasdorkus posted:

Anyone know what Captain Ban's aggression trait is?

This was my thought as well. The Soviets getting involved in 1945 would risk seeing all of those China gains go poof, and the US would be swinging a huge number of combat veterans to the theater. And the Manhattan Project was in full swing at this point in the war, according to Wiki they'd already spent a billion 1943 dollars by the time of the Quebec Agreement and we're now 9 months after that date. So they knew the bomb was feasible, and with their air dominance would know that all they needed to do was wait until a Liberator could overfly the Battleship fleet and drop one bomb. Or nuke Tokyo. Or both.

I think the Japanese post-war narrative of their defeat would be very interesting. The A-bomb could be spun as some sort of 'cheat' on the American's part, honorable defeat narrative, etc.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

hailthefish posted:

Well if it wasn't before, it's definitely Caliente now :downsrim:

I'd imagine the loss of a fleet oiler would be a pretty big blow for the Americans, especially given how few forward bases they have.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Should I start reading this from the beginning or should I just drop right in?

Start at the beginning. That's how I did his last L.P. Doing so will let you skip the slow days.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Grey, what is the timeline for Charnel House? When does it kick off?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Grey Hunter posted:

So I've decided I need to invade Munda. I'm loading a division from Rabaul to go do the job.

Please please please PLEASE have some ships bombard the island.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Well if there is any WWII army willing to pay that butcher's bill, its the IJA.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

:f5::japan::f5:

I can't handle much more excitement from this LP.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Grey Hunter posted:

You may want to start taking sedatives for the next week then....

"But doctor, the Crotopus Man says I need Xanax!"

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Leperflesh posted:

twelve thousand political points

What should Grey be doing with these?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

I think this is the ship?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMCS_Sudbury

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

HannibalBarca posted:

MacArthur wins the Republican nomination in '44, is elected, vows to kill every Japanese male

I can't even imagine how MacArthur and his sycophants are spinning this. Probably some variation of "if only the President had listened to me!"

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Yeah, I voted Stellaris but a 'victor of WW 2 takes to the stars" sounds neat.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Plus this is the sort of mass assault trench warfare action I crave...please keep at it!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

bunnyofdoom posted:

If Yamamoto survives today can you let us know it's day by day float damage?

Admiral, not you too! :ohdear:

Is Yamamoto an assignable officer in the game? Or does it stop at captain?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Jobbo_Fett posted:

YAMATO!
NOT TAIHO!
YAMATO! NOT KAKO!

AobaMayaTaiyoChokaiKaga

:five:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

CeeJee posted:

This guy's heroic actions have been made into a movie already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiJjMggOUu8

I bailed after "sir, please allow us to kick some rear end!".

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Are you gonna be able to keep the Chinese from breaking out of Chungking?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

I'm ok with a cordon sanitaire around Chungking and moving on to India. But if you're going to do it, do it without marching the IJA over that mountain range. I just think we're not gonna hear about that army for -forever-....kinda boring.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

...and we thought Chinese revanchism against the Japanese was bad in our timeline.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

CeeJee posted:

The day before Zwaardvisch sank a German U-boot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_6_October_1944 and 22 of its crew were set free due to lack of space to keep them prisoner.

So how did the Dutch keep their subs operational? Did they use spares etc. from the other Allied nations?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Epicurius posted:

Yes. After the surrender of the Netherlands, the Dutch ships and stuff were under foreign command. The Zwaardvisch operated out of Freemantle, Australia, and was first under the British Far Eastern Fleet, and then the US Fleet.

So did they have a stores stockpile or did the Allies just make new equipment to keep the Dutch subs operational?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Magni posted:

Ahh, so that's why those carriers at Guam are moving so slow, they got auntie Langley with them. As in CV-1 USS Langley, the first ever USN carrier. She's a WWI-era coal freighter that was converted in the 1920's into a carrier (and then into a seaplane tender in 1936). She can only do something like 16 knots. Perfect for putting into a fleet carrier group. :v:

I think it's actually the second ship of that name.

Later served as Lafayette in the French navy.

E: fb

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

The brass balls of this flotilla commander! :japan:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Seconding the request to give an update on the progress of the India army. How close are they?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

I wonder if we have the naval equivalent of Mark Clark in this time. Just replace Rome with Rabaul.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

habeasdorkus posted:

I thought it was solid and well deployed, but liked the Heritage joke more. This is clearly the objectively correct position.

Japan has obviously acquired German joke analysis techniques or "witzanalysetechnik" in this timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Grey Hunter posted:

basically we're playing a game of how many nukes can I eat.

EDIT - though, if mainland Japan eats six nukes, I may have to call the game and move on to Stellaris with a tomb world race....

I would absolutely read the Adventures Of The Unconquered Imperial Japanese Star Empire.