Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I was refreshing the main page waiting for this to show up. :swoon:

Calling the USS North Carolina (BB) early this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Also according to the first image the war has been simmering for a year.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ardeem posted:

Speaking of things requiring long term planning, Grey, what are your plans for that which slumbers on Enewetok?

All these islands are yours, except Enewetok. Attempt no landings there.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Veloxyll posted:

Obviously, the only air wings in the area are Army.
The Navy should use their own resources to defend their assets, it makes perfect logical sense.

Nevermind that the IJN ships are transporting IJA troops. Ships must be defended by naval assets.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Will today be the first miss? :ohdear:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Generation Internet posted:

By GH's time, it's already a miss, but there's always Hawaii time :v:

:golfclap:
11 PM Hawaii time is 9AM in the UK, according to a time zone converter I found. He just has to post before going to work in the morning.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Zeroisanumber posted:

(linking all of the European Theatre together)

A challenge for the groggiest of grogs.

gradenko_2000 posted:

(the punchline is that there's a mod for WITP:AE called DaBabes which adds a shitton of researched smaller ships and craft because yet another group of people thought AE still wasn't quite detailed enough either)
The groggiest of grogs will accept that challenge, except they are still finishing everything ever about the Pacific Theatre.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

goatface posted:

Some superb piece of pathing that takes it up North East until it can sail down the "safer" water of the West Coast? Sounds plausible.

I think a pathing problem is what caused the USS North Carolina to be sunk in Grey's allied game. It took a strange path and ended up in Betty range. I believe. I may be wrong.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

pthighs posted:

Not sure how effective that bombing will be since Bataan is the rugged jungle terrain type, but I suppose it's worth a try.

Just keep up the bombardment attacks. You will take some losses but it will pay off in the end when they run out of bullets.

It's just to keep the US troops disrupted for a month while the rest of the IJA troops march over from Manilla. And maybe to train pilots on what is relatively a milk run.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

megane posted:

This game really seems to love having ships get bombed to pieces, go up in raging flames, lose 90% of their structure and engines, take half a dozen torpedo explosions below the water line, and then calmly sail across the whole Pacific and get repaired.
In real life the USS North Carolina took a torpedo and got a 30 foot sized hole under the water line during Guadalcanal and made it back to Pearl Harbor.

When Grey Hunter played as the Allies he managed to get her sunk when she wandered too close to IJAA Betties. As she was limping home from a torpedo hole.

Also in the Allied campaign there was a patrol boat that was attacked for a few weeks on some random atoll and kept dodging the bombs the IJN was dropping on it for some weird reason. The game really loves to get fixated on ONE THING RIGHT THERE I WILL TAKE IT and a good player can exploit it. There's a reason Eniwetok atoll became famous during the allies LP.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Danann posted:

Funny thing about that is that there was this four stacker destroyer called the USS Edsall that was somewhat like this. Except instead of dodging bombs for weeks, the Edsall was dodging shellfire from two battleships and two cruisers for hours until the guy in charge of the task force asked for the Kido Butai to personally dive bomb this one destroyer so their shells can actually hit for once.
The actual War In The Pacific had so much crazy poo poo go down that the grogs that update the game can point to all sorts of places to explain the game mechanics.

And they point at the UI and say "MANAGING A THEATRE OF WAR IS HARD"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

TildeATH posted:

I refuse to believe it. GH will just tell her "The baby is defiantly not coming right now, I can post this turn update."

And then the baby can be all, "SOVIET RESPONSE".
Goddamned Third Army again and that son-of-a-loving-bitch Patton spawn in Nagano. Grey flips the table.

Pimpmust posted:

That sounds familiar...

:coffeepal:
:allears:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Grey Hunter posted:

I might have to pull the KB back!
That is certainly a target rich environment.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

A White Guy posted:

So, let's recap:

In 4 months, Grey has

1. Mostly finished up the Phillipines about a month ahead of schedule.
2. Is working on Singapore, may finish about a month ahead of schedule
3. Sunk exactly zero carriers, and even worse, sunk basically nothing at Pearl that isn't going to get replaced immediately
4. Is making ok progress in China
5. Is a little behind in Burma, but this front is basically a stalemate regardless.
6. Has done basically nothing in the DEI

I probably missed a few things, but in my own humble judgement, Japan is doing worse than historical. This is gonna be a loooong 3 years if Grey can't start making serious steam.

Also the KB is sitting in a tiny port trying to refuel to get back to a big port and properly refuel. So for the next few days / week the mightiest navel force in the Pacific is stuck.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dreamsicle posted:

So my China deathstack has its first roadblock in the form of level 6 forts at Hankow. I have a 5:1: AV advantage but everytime I make an attack to try and take forts, my AV drops by 1/8. How can I get past this besides moving more units to the area?
Bombardment to whittle down their forces while the rest of your troops rest.

Oh, you only have 38 guns? Ummm...

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Palembang was lightly defended, is that normal? I know human players can cheese Palembang and build up lots of forts and hold it a long time with it's native supply, but does the AI decently defend it?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

vyelkin posted:

I thought Fred sank with all hands some time ago.
His plane was shot own over the Sea of Japan. It spun in. There were no survivors.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Actually they did-apparently the sub was in the process of attempting to fire their torpedoes when they were spotted and the Olympic turned towards them. (Which, if anything, makes the story even more :black101:)

Was this after people had figured out that the Titanic would have survived* a head-on collision with the iceberg which would fill a few forward flotation areas but leave the majority of the flotation areas safe. Instead the Titanic hit the iceberg along the side, rupturing many flotation areas and causing a failure cascade. Getting hit head on with a torp would hurt but not instantly kill a Titanic class ship, at least compared to getting hit broadside.

*Either limped home or at least stayed afloat long enough for a proper evacuation

edit: also, did the Olympic fix the problem the Titanic had where the double hulls were not sealed at the top

Also, Grey, congratulations on the increased number of troops in the Hunter squad.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 10, 2016

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Veloxyll posted:

yup. and Air Combat TFs primary mission is to keep the carriers safe. So they will flee from even lone liners rather than give them a few volleys. Because Gunfire prevents them from disengaging due to it being kind of visible.
Well then there should have been better recon. Keeping the carriers safe means making sure that enemy ships never get that close in the first place.

theamazingchris posted:

iirc after the Titanic disaster the Olympic added a double hull that was absent from the Titanic and raised the bulkheads up to B Deck from E Deck.
Thanks. I'm glad that improvements were made.

and then...

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Actually it was the Olympic that was sunk, the Titanic had been secretly replaced by the Olympic just prior to her maiden voyage and intentionally sunk by the White Star Line for the insurance!

This is a real conspiracy theory that people believe. :eng99:
:shepicide:

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 11, 2016

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Cantorsdust posted:

To confirm, Grey is trying to take out Chungking to stop Chinese respawns, yes?
You are correct. It's a long march and it left him weak at Hangchow (I think) but if he pulls it off Grey will be able to take all of China eventually.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Does the game model "and then we blew up the bridge over the River Kwai while a train was trying to pass"?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

RZApublican posted:

Dear god the Natori is just a nightmare to Allied shipping :stare:

Also the Dominion Monarch has got to be one of the highest-value non-warships in the entire game.

I know the Allies get bunches and bunches of AKs from the Liberty Ship program, so moving supplies behind the lines eventually becomes relatively easy for the Allies, but how many converted liner troop ships are active in the Pacific for the Allies? I know the Queen Elizabeth is often used to move troops from Cape Town to rear staging points because it can out run any surface ship, and evidently the Dominion Monarch was in that class, but how many of those ships do the Allies have and how long are they in theatre? Either from historical perspective or from game perspective.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

simplefish posted:

North Carolina, Northampton, same differnce
The North Carolina is my lucky ship, and when I saw it was the Wasp that was getting hammered near Guadalcanal I got real worried.

Guess this means the Showboat will be in Midway...

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

goatface posted:

277 is a lot of 6" shells.
There is a certain quality in quantity.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Yamashiro makes a cameo appearance in The Wind Rises.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Saros posted:

Boy do I have the thread for you.
I read the first few reports, and the weather was a great influence in the first few days on one of the offensive fronts, and that got me to thinking:

In WitP:AE, is weather historical beyond 1941-12-07? If not historical, does the weather randomly throw storms in certain places or can weather fronts sweep across an area? Are tropical storms possible? Are the Aleutians particularly hard to capture in winter?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Thanks for the info.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
You sent 25k troops* to the Guadalcanal area? You're mad.

over 1k were lost unloading from the ships.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Crazycryodude posted:

I think you're just trying to throw us off the scent of you landing in San Francisco 2 weeks from now.

With Tokyo Bay Fortress leading the charge.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

TildeATH posted:

The improvement in spelling will be a dead giveaway.
If Grey Jr doesn't have dyslexia then that's a good thing. Grey's been doing tremendously well considering he told us earlier that he's dyslexic. He does these typing heavy LPs to force himself to get better. He gets better, but sometimes he keeps typing Kaifeng as Kiafeng as thousands and thousands of pixel troops die so we call it KIAfeng and it all works out.

Also, Grey, can you post a map of your holdings and general plan for the next month?

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 6, 2016

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Tell those Navy cowards that they can have a vacation in Harbin if they keep that up.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

vyelkin posted:

His stealth invasion of Anchorage is going according to plan.

The Home Islands will be awash in crab legs for New Year's.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
My lucky ship, the USS North Carolina, took a bomb hit. She should be fine.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The USS North Carolina was bested in honorable combat. She went down fighting against overwhelming opponents. Now to go get my USS NC shotglass and have a shot of moonshine in her honor.

And then request the USS Alabama as my next lucky ship.

When does a confirmed kill show up? The battle screen said sunk, but the AAR didn't, but the points jumped, and I have no clue.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mycroft Holmes posted:

in this timeline, its space battleship north carolina.
First in Flight: TO SPACE THIS TIME

SUCK IT OHIO

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 4, 2016

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Comstar posted:

So with the success of Milne Bay, is Grey going to do an invasion of it?

Grey's response aside, leaving it there as a honey pot to attract Allied forces should work well. The AI tends to get locked on a battle plan and they might keep feeding ships to Grey's trap.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ardeem posted:

Which is part of what lead to the legends about That Which Slumbers Beneath Eniwetok.

That Which Slumbers But Gets Hungry So Keep Sending It J-Rations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nenonen posted:

That is more of a post-WW2 American influence thing, though. Or are you suggesting that in this timeline it won't be the Americans who will start following Japanese traditions???

I've already made reservations to pick up my KFC New Year's Bucket.

If KFC had such a thing, with Hoppin John and collard greens, I would totally buy it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The Japanese troops at Hankow have negative supply, but are also surrounded by friendly troops to secure the siege. Is there a way to get supplies to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

goatface posted:

I assumed they'd have put in a withdrawal for refit at some point. She was a pretty loving ancient warship by that point.

The AI Allies are burning political points to keep carriers in theatre.

Or she could be at Pearl or Sydney or San Diego getting that refit.