Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Data Graham posted:

Hell, I remember pizzahut.com had an online storefront in like 1997.

It was an HTML form with a gray background and blue links, and I don't think I ever saw a way for it to tell where you were physically or what store you were ordering from, but it allegedly worked.

Back about this time, didn't one of the pre-WoW MMOs (either Everquest or UO) have a /pizza command that hooked into Pizza Hut somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Skoll posted:

Try playing Asheron's Call today and see if it's still fun.

My friend went back to FFXI during one of their "We still exist" free weekends a while back.

It's as hilariously terrible as it's always been.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Imagined posted:

FFXIV is actually fun though, and would be really great if its design wasn't hamstrung from the beginning by needing to run cross-platform on PS3.

The only thing that hamstrung FFXIV is the pre-A Realm Reborn version of the game.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Imagined posted:

I didn't play that version. I did play the version with loading screens about every twenty feet, on PC...

Try not playing on any computer with a hamster wheel in it? I played it for a couple years and never had that issue.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Gonz posted:

And here's something i've never seen before: A claw machine that dispensed frozen ice cream bars.

My high school had something like this, only with a vacuum nozzle.

(also posting this made me realize I graduated high school 13 years ago :cry:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Man, I miss playing terrible calculator games. Anyone remember DrugWar?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

No because that game was banned from school and you weren't allowed to play it.

Man, my school was lame. We never banned anything. Hell, we played Magic for ante for the first couple years. Same with POGs.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Just cus every time it comes up people gush, I'm going to point out that most physical keyboards on phones were dumb and I'd gladly give up that bulk considering it provided basically no benefit.

Also, swype-style keyboards are dumb, and I hate everything.

(No, seriously, I just think on screen keyboards are done really well, and there might be a lot of comparison to at-the-time onscreen keyboards, which were poo poo at the time?)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

From this post I can only assume you have tiny, child-like hands.

From wrist to tip my hands are an inch or two longer than my Nexus 5x. I don't spend a lot of time comparing my hands to other people's, so I dunno?

I've just never really had a physical keyboard that was so noticeably better than any reasonably modern on-screen keyboard that I felt nostalgic for the days of my Samsung Intercept or this hilarious abomination. To me, there as much a hack as Side-talkin' was.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

It's mostly just that phones were insanely awesome everywhere else in the world, and it's only now that the US has caught up. Finland, for example, has had an Apple/Android Pay-like system since the 90s.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

I had a copy of Metallica's Enter Sandman with a loud BLIP about halfway through that I still anticipate on the rare occasions I actually hear that song nowadays.

My copy of "Lights and Sounds" by Yellowcard repeats toward the end, as if it were recorded on a loop.

My copy of "Ultiamte Showdown of Ultimate Destiny" is censored, for unknowable reasons.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Reminds me a lot of when the coolest thing in the world was media players that could do visualizers.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Much like retro video games, I kinda miss the experience of browsing through a video store.

Especially the ones that were fairly naive and assumed "Oh, this is animated, must be for kids" on poo poo like Overfiend.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I remember several near-naked anime girls and lots of tentacles at the Hollywood Video near my dad's house.

Man, I miss being 14, when the memory of a picture of cleavage was all it took to rev the engine.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Regular Nintendo posted:

Yeah some of the elevators had dial pad/callbox things and we thought doing the same prank in an elevator went from "cheeky fun" to "light terrorism"

There's a great Defcon talk about how Elevators are basically open doors that go wherever you want them to and you can do hilariously evil things with them trivially.

For example, the bitting of the firefighter's key for Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and New Hampsire is public knowledge and cannot be changed.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

The worse part is you can't change the code largely because you'd have to replace hundreds, if not thousands, of emergency keys.

There's also a lock on some elevators (it's a drop key to force open the doors when the car's not there) that's just screwed in to the houseing; any key that fits gives you enough leverage to unscrew the entire cylender.

Don't. Trust. Elevators.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Winty posted:

i mean hasn't an elevator firefighter key always been one of those 'keep honest people honest' locks? the whole point of a firefighter key is that a firefighter has to be able to unlock it instantly, not fumble for the correct key. the key has to be the same for all elevators and they can't ever change it without a big campaign. i don't think specifying the key in the ASME code is as big a deal as you guys are making it out to be.
what is the alternative, some kind of rolling code or regional system? and is it worth the cost to emergency services, compared to how much it would really deter bad guys?
i don't think elevators were ever intended to be security hardened and hopefully any building built this century has an actual locked door for your penthouse suite or whatever.

you'd think, but look at those buildings in the talk: several of them have easy ways to get to the elevator, that just opens up onto the floor. Hell, my old office did that; you could walk straight from the elevator to anywhere without going through a door.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

The best part is that the system he's mocking here used a "Single participant" blockchain, which you may know by it's more common name of "Public database".

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Sweevo posted:

Guns, bibles, cheques, and fax machines: four things you will have to pry from America's cold dead hands.

To be fair, it's been a while since I've seen anyone under 60 use a check.

Though, as someone who works tech support at a VoIP company, Faxes are a big anger trigger for me.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Shady Amish Terror posted:

That's...probably a way of looking at it. I mean, people are continuously coming up with new niche diets for starving your body of one specific component to try to force it to burn others inefficiently for weight loss, so if that's not the current trend, I guess?

And don't they all pretty much kill you slowly?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I remember a lot of MP3 players (Or I guess technically "PMPs", portable music players) trying to shove WMA down our throats like that was going to be a thing.

To add two things to camerachat, who remembers having to get that fake FlashPath not-floppy to get pics off their camera? It was as dumb as it sounds. I feel like a bunch of companies bet hard on SmartMedia being a thing, and then SD just ate their entire lunch (except Sony, who still refuses to just use MicroSDs like a normal person).

Also, how many of us were the annoying dork running around with this at the party:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

is it signed "THE MGT."

Huh. An Illiminatus! reference that's not fnord.

I wonder if that book holds up, or if it was only good because I was 14 and it had weird sex scenes in it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

All this Netbook/Tablet talk just reminds me that I really wish poo poo like the MSX ever came out in NA. There are versions of that thing that still look sleek af today.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

When I was a tiny kid sitting on a bean sprout and eating my own poo, a system from six years ago was loving ancient (the Atari 2600) and considered literal garbage. The PS4 is still considered current by all normal people. Weird how the pace has both sped up and slowed down.

Average console life is about 6 to 8 years, so that feels about right.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

As long as you don't say "reesees piecees"

So would you say you hate reesees to piecees?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Didn't need to be approved by the electrical things authority.

Do you mean Underwriters?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

The Atari 2600 had an impressive life span. Launched in 1977, with the last official games coming out in 1992.

A lot of things lasted way longer than you think they did.

The C64 wasn't officially discontinued until 1994, for example. I wanna say like the Dreamcast or something just halted accessory production.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

BogDew posted:

I miss Winamp's file renaming system. It did a match and redid all of the metadata in a MP3. Good for wonky rips or stuff obtained from friends.

It also had a batch converter.

A page back, but beats.io will do this for you now, using the same DB that WinAmp used.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Anyone remember loving around with TellMe in the era before smartphones?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Was it the Pre that had some hacked-together iTunes functionality that was constantly playing Cat and Mouse with Apple? That was a fun year or so.

Yeah. The Pre was kinda weird, and came out of the gate with a lot of neat ideas that it really just refused to follow up on.

But frankly, you gotta remember that "Phone what works with iTunes" was about 80% of the iPhones gimmick at the time, so that was a hard move.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Apparently my cellphone will pick up FM radio if I plug in wired headphones but I've never tried it out.

A lot of Samsung and Motorola phones do/used to do that. IIRC, the chip was pretty cheap if included with a bunch of the other radios.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

they should completely decriminalize pirate radio in the US. The AM/FM bands should just belong to humans now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVZVhfbgCsw

I know you're joking, but as a ham who's already had to see people deal with fuckwits blasting on any frequency their $20 Baofeng supports as part of their mission to be the "most tactical", I'm having a nightmare.

(Though, there are a lot of LPFM (Low Power FM) stations around that are community run; it would be very easy to get a show on one of them)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Qwijib0 posted:

Shoutcast the protocol is still very much around, tunein radio for instance still uses shoutcast (almost all icecast now though) mp3 as a primary input for terrestrial broadcasters.

There's also just straight up a bunch of dedicated Shoutcast/Icecast stations just blasting into the void.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

I remember that one. During a university crunch I also half-watched the entire run of Love Hina even though I don't like anime. I can still hear the theme song.

Jesus, Love Hina takes me back. The theme song was dope, done by Megumi Hayasubara, who was also everywhere on shoutcast streams.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Hours spent watching the little dog cursor running along while my .sit.hqx file downloaded

They never would've survived the 90s if Steve hadn't come back, but god drat was Apple between Jobs' tenures a more fun company.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Also just to come back to this — was the non-Jobs time really fun at Apple? All the folklore stuff was from before he left; and all the stories I've heard from the early-mid 90s (I had a couple friends who worked there during that time) were hollow-eyed horror stories of declining market share, false starts on pie-in-the-sky projects, ill-conceived corporate alliances, horrible software quality, and a general sense of grin-and-bear-it. Like annual company retreats where in between capture-the-flag tournaments they were always just waiting for someone to go up to the mike and drop the next shoe about Copland or Pink or whatever being inevitably cancelled.

I'll revise:

They never would've survived the 90s if Steve hadn't come back, but god drat was Apple between Jobs' tenures a more externally fun company.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

They're still around if you know where to look.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

SoulSeek is still around, and probably the best way to pirate music.

I've heard.

EL BROMANCE posted:

WWE Network as a combination of a very reasonable monthly charge (especially in comparison to PPV costs at the time) and a huge back catalog suddenly gave the user a pretty drat good product that wasn't worth pirating anymore.

Not just that, but it was curated to provide an experience WORTH the ten bucks.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I've pretty much reverted back to either physical media or other manners of acquring things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

The first IRC network I ever joined, which formed the basis of a significant amount of my early online friendships, was on an RP server. It lead to a rather twisted idea of how people interact online.