Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I avoided the entire 2015 thread because it depressed the hell out of me but I'm glad to be in on the ground floor of what is sure to be a civilized year of editorial cartoon viewing.

E: glad to see Muir got banned, his toons are garbage and his Sam Elliott fanfic in 2014 was beyond sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Lady Naga posted:

Don't worry, they'll be replaced with twice as many "latuff sucks/no he doesn't" arguments.

I was going to ask if that got settled some time in the last year but I guess not

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

cripes he hasn't used the last year to get any better at drawing

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Funosaurus posted:

Not only are there a lot of words without anything really added by the illustrations, the font is impenetrable to the eye.

I enjoy scrolling right past first dog because the colours it makes on my screen when I do that are far more enjoyable than the words or the drawings.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Lady Naga posted:

Well obviously furry anime deviantart drawings are worth less than incoherent Ramirez scribblings because, uh...

He was able to bullshit his way through his career longer????????

two pulitzers

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

toanoradian posted:

Maybe all his rants are based on experience of studying a field he later considered useless.

(What do PoliSci graduates do?)

All kinds of stuff. Liberal arts educations aren't worthless, they just don't automatically lead to a particular career.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Can't wait for his tweets when other world leaders don't treat him as he thinks they should.

they'll be very, very polite and accomodating

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Technowolf posted:

most of this stuff is brutally cringey.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

piss off, Rall

piss off, Branco

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Pudding Space posted:

In this thread: People who argue over cartoon correctness wonder why they didn't connect with a wider demographic...

people who actually look at political cartoons instead of completely ignoring them and carrying on with their day like a normal human being are a very narrow demographic

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

crowoutofcontext posted:

Unlike Rall's cackling psychopath Obama I think the real Obama feels some abstracted level of remorse when he fucks up and a sort of perpetual but perfectly manageable anxiety about certain global issues unfolding.F or example, II think when he appeared to cry after Newton he had gone thru the mental exercise of imaging his daughters being gunned down for no reason. All that type of poo poo and stress ages you.

I dunno what Trumps deal is but I dont think his brain really procceses things the same way so I dunno if he will age hugely.

yuuuugely

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Xander77 posted:

Mako projects Trumps presidency, based on promises he made during his campaign. He promised to:

Never participate in a bike race
"Sorry, I made a promise"

"We need 10$ to place the final brick.
Hey Pedro, you got a tenner? Now, who's going to give me a ride home?"

Find and kill terrorist family members
"Tralalala"

Place surveillance systems in mosques

Throw Bergdahl out of a plane over Afghanistan
"I shouldn't have participated in the kidnappers BBQ"

Force Nabisco to make Oreos in the US
"Don't be stingy with the cream!"

Always refer to the Iranian supreme leader as a "baby".
"Hey babe, what's up? I'm not a baby :("

Allow people to say "Marry Christmas"
"merry christmas"

Never take a vacation

Blow up ISIS, take away their oil, and give the profits to injured veterans
"Mazal Tov! There's a gift card attached."

Jail Hillary for the email scandal
"Where's the wi-fi?"

Take care of women

Improve the national mood
"We rock!"

these are incredibly good

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

yeah look at this piece of poo poo making a little gesture to show solidarity and regret that a bad thing happened, i bet she's a real loving bitch

the medium article accompanying this is a real treat as you might expect

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

xthetenth posted:

How about you listen to minority voices about ways you can help, confront racism when you see it and actually be willing to put anything whatsoever on the line (even the discomfort of dealing with criticism in an adult way) is pretty good advice, and I'm sorry your feelings weren't coddled enough and it made you uncomfortable.

gently caress people who claim to be allies and do jack poo poo to help when it might inconvenience them in any way is pretty drat relevant.

majormonotone posted:

you're an idiot

lol sorry nearly forgot where I was

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

FactsAreUseless posted:

Dammit! Why aren't we being rewarded for empty gestures? Someone used an angry tone of voice with me. Reverse racism! SJWs!

if branco's reading this thread we'll all know who to blame for that cartoon

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Cat Mattress posted:

What the gently caress is "loxism"?

a made up word that leads to a rabbit hole of bullshit

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

FactsAreUseless posted:

Why? I still have my switchblade and greaser pompadour.

those never go out of style though

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

a weed godzilla?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

eviltastic posted:

Might be old news to some of you, but in trying to look up Israeli reactions to the Bannon thing, I discovered that Gingrich was arguing yesterday that it's preposterous to call Bannon an anti-Semite, given that he worked for an investment bank and was a producer in Hollywood. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/face-the-nation-transcript-november-13-2016-gingrich-sanders/

according to the (London) Jewish Chronicle, israeli reactions are mixed based on how left or right wing individual israelis are. Apparently the jewish vote splits heavily on religious lines in the US with most jews voting dem but the orthodox ones (about 1/10th of the total) usually going republican. The orthodox guys seem pretty happy and everyone else ranges between "wait and see" and despair

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Jerusalem posted:

How... how the gently caress can this be intended to read any other way than Obama trying to forge a new path and lamenting that America chose to repeat the mistakes of the past instead? :psyduck:

I mean, it's obviously meant to be an anti-Obama cartoon and I guess it's trying to say,"Barack Obama - the first black President of the United States of America - won't be remembered by history" but the execution is stunningly bad.

Edit: Nope I'm just a dummy who didn't get the obvious "Obama wanted to take the country left but America is going right." Putting "history" in there muddies the waters but it still should have been obvious.

i don't want to defend a mccoy but maybe the stupid shithead that made that comic meant it in the hegelian sense of a dialectical progression instead of "stuff that happened in the past"

E: I missed your edit, that's almost certainly what he meant

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Les Affaires posted:

Is it just me or is the british political cartoon aesthetic just a little too jarring?

yeah they're basically unbearable to look at and the symbolism used is a bit annoying if you don't follow them pretty much continuously and/or live here

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

FactsAreUseless posted:

British humor is two men farting while saying the word "fanny" and laughing drunkenly.

don't forget the single entendres

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Mister Beeg posted:

When pictures of Trump meeting with Obama post-election came out, Trump looked absolutely miserable. Like, one would think he'd be smirking in a smug fashion or something, but Trump had the face that said "what the hell did I get myself into?".

I'll admit that I got a little schadenfreude out of that.

same thing happened with brexit. the winners looked horrified. one of them even tried to concede before the votes came in. It was fun.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Shangri-Law School posted:

Strange that we haven't seen any people that voted Trump as a joke, like with Brexit.

Though a majority of Americans did vote against Trump, so we aren't as dumb as the Brits. :colbert:

I read about a few 4chan idiots who felt sorry for "memeing" a president in, as if they were really responsible, but I doubt it's a large number of them.

Also no one really thought Brexit was going to happen and we really, really hate all our politicians over here and want to see them suffer, and that was enough. You guys saw would could happen and did it anyway. The alternative isn't really worth crying over but holy poo poo, you got Trump.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

of all the lovely comics i've seen lately this one is the one that made me irrationally angry

god drat you JRRose!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

You're not the first person to get really worked up at JRRose! and I still don't understand. It's a picture of Santa encroaching on Thanksgiving, it's super harmless, to me anyway. You said it's irrational but would you still mind working out the reason why that cartoon angered you?

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm not angry about it myself, but I imagine the sheer banality of it versus all the actual important crazy poo poo going on that a political cartoonist could be spending effort on commenting about could get to somebody.

On the other hand, it's JRRose!

yeah it's just the banality, maybe the poo poo eating grin on the santa. I dunno. JRRose! sometimes gets to me for some reason.

E: To clarify, I hate Branco. He's a poo poo artist with terrible ideas but at least I can see a point to him - he makes hateful hack comics for everyone's racist idiot uncle. But JRRose!? what's even the point of him.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Fair enough! I like JRRose! or at least tolerate him precisely because he's so often apolitical and doesn't bother being in the opinion business. Sure, he's conservative and wrong when he bothers to be political but that he often doesn't is, I think, preferable. Best say nothing if you don't have anything to say. JRRose! is dadjokes dot cartoonist, he makes his living telling jokes for people whose sense of humor is alien to mine.

it's not always, just sometimes. He did this stupid one which I like for pretty much the same reason I dislike all his other stuff (it's stupid and banal):

maybe I wouldn't like it if Bush had a big poo poo eating grin on his face

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Fojar38 posted:

For some reason this makes me more angry than even McCoy's fascist apologia

yeah it's hard to explain, isn't it?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I don't know what the hell is going on in this thread but here's a new Bad Reporter:

i haven't laughed this hard at a bad reporter in a while

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Memento posted:

I think the most hilarious part about that little brain malfunction was his assumption that no one in this thread ever went anywhere really lovely to shoot at and be shot at by people who were trying to preserve their way of life as well. Or that both sides did all that at the behest of old rich men in power so they could stay rich and in power and that there's no way anyone could do all of that and then come back with a disdain for the government of the time and of conservatives in general.

Nahh we must all be latte sipping lefty scum who would never risk their comfortable lifestyle, let alone their life, to try to make things better for anyone else on this dirtball.

well that's a pretty accurate description of what I'm all about to be fair

also reading political cartoons on the internet

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Fulchrum posted:

I mean stuff like, before a transwoman begins hormone therapy and/or surgery, is it common for them to freeze a sample of their sperm so that later in their life, if they want a biological child, they can still have one? And ditto for a transman and their eggs?

that toon really got you thinking, huh?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ratbert90 posted:

Wasn't Castro Catholic? If so lol he's in heaven with Hitler.

yes, famously devout hitler who obviously would have gone to heaven in line with catholic teachings

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

that's lazy even for Garrison but yes Kissinger can go straight in the bin

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Ularg posted:

"I hope people I disagree with in politics die and also they're as bad as an actual dictator." - Ben Garrison.

Garrison's as thick as pig poo poo but he's right about Kissinger, who is worse than an actual dictator and who should die at his earliest convenience

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Does Garrison actually disagree with Kissinger's opinions?
or does he just hate him because he's a jew?

it is completely possible to have a problem with kissinger without it having anything to do with him being a jew

for garrison though that'll be the sweet cherry on the cake

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Cat Mattress posted:

Where's Rainbow Dash?

dang it, came to post this

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

you can take some ideas from a philosophy without adopting every single thing the author says. Bound to be a few duds in a 2,500 page + tome like Capital. Even really good philosophers can't knock it out of the park with every swing you know

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Cpt.Americant posted:

Is this a reference to something specific? I feel like I'm missing something.

it's a reference to this famous and dank meme

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

SwitchbladeKult posted:

It says more about humanity in general. :smith:

the reason this picture is funny is because it doesn't. Adding a pony to the image is as outrageous to the normal mind as using the image to take a swing at Trump or whatever the hack was trying to do there.

Can confirm that reading politoons regularly will decrease your opinion of your fellow man though. As soon as I stopped I liked everyone a bit more. Now I'm back at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

xthetenth posted:

The takeaway is that adding in (a character from a tv show that the commentator had time to build empathy for) helps (commentator) feel empathy for the people in that situation. If you don't have that connection, it's adding in (character from a children's TV show), and it makes no sense, but that it's that particular character from that particular TV show is irrelevant. The crux is that the person felt less empathy for actual human beings than for a character in a tv show, that over a decade of education doesn't do a good job of building the skills to empathize with people to the point where a few years of maybe a day of content each does a much better job of making the viewer feel empathy for the character. That's an indictment of the whole of humanity and a lot more relevant than "lol bronies can't even relate on an emotional level to the holocaust". Ask people studying the holocaust or military history about how it takes work to identify with the people they study and the enormity of what happened and how frequently they have their own tricks to do it and to properly understand what's going on rather than mentally flattening it to an emotionless number. That they each have their own tricks that at best are passed down from teacher to student goes to show how weird and distorted an idea people get of this, because a lot of people don't have the benefit of those tricks.

It's similar to how, without prompting, most people read through survivors' narratives and don't really get that their gut is right, that there sure are a bunch of close calls, and getting lucky in all those ways is unlikely. Of course the survivors have close calls where they got lucky because if they didn't get lucky they wouldn't be survivors writing down their accounts, now would they?

Anyone who can crack open a book on the subject or watch a documentary or go in a holocaust museum or come to know anything about the holocaust at all doesn't need a sad pony photoshopped in. The reason the person couldn't give two shits about the holocaust before he saw that picture is because he'd never thought about it. In a good world Rainbow Dash being herded onto a cattle truck by nazis may have opened his eyes to the horror of the Shoah but we both know that feeling sad about a picture of a cartoon horse is the end of the line for that guy.

• Locked thread