Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ham Shears gone, A3G gone, The Creeps gone, and yet 9 Chickweed Lane goes on and on forever and King Features continues to insist that Intelligent Life is funny. The future is bleak.

Comic strips. Old ones, new ones, American ones, Finnish ones, good, bad, or incomprehensible, this is the thread for them. As long as it ran in a newspaper it goes here. Anything on Comics Kingdom or GoComics is fair game, but if you really want to drive the thread wild, scan some classics you've got lying around. Don't worry about who normally posts it or whether anyone wants to see it, if it's a newspaper comic you can post it. If you want to go the extra mile, you can tell us all about it as well. And if someone's posting a comic you don't like, that's what your scroll wheel is for.

:justpost:

Our Noble Lineage

1. For Better or for Worse, here we go again
  2. For Better or For Worse II, The Sun May Get in 56kers' Eyes
  3. For Better or For Worse III: Who need this?!?
  4. For Better or For Worse Megathread
  5. The Comic Strip Megathread: Luann's Funky For Better Minimum Security
  6. The Comic Strip Megathread V - Just Another Uneventful Lesbian Road Trip
  7. The Comic Strip Megathread V, Part 3 - Dick and Jane Go to the Goddamn Bank
  8. Comic Strip Megathread V, Part 4: Thalidomide Theater: Day of the Jackelrod
  9. Comic Strip Megathread Part Ten: Infections and Gams... FOR ME! BARB ELS!
  10. Comic Strip Megathread Part 11: drat that's a fine elephant.
  11. Comic Strip Megathread Part XII: Reply All is the best comic in this thread
  12. Comic Strip Megathread XIII: Still can't get over it!
  13. Comic Strip Megathread XIV: Happy After Death 2013!
  14. Comic Strip Megathread XV: So smile, Margo, and move on.

Comics

King Features Syndicate's Comic's Kingdom
Universal Uclick's GoComics (basically everything that isn't King Features)
Darkgate Comic Slurper (another place to get comics)
The Houston Chronicle (and another option)
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer (one more for luck)

People Who Like Comics

Archie Out of Context
The Comics Curmudgeon
Comics For the Blind
Dean's Comic Booth
Heathcliff Explained
The Lovely Ladies of Apartment 3-G
Luann DeGroot on Twitter
Mary Worth and Me
Mary Worth Remix
MRA Dilbert
Reynard Noir
Scott Meets Family Circus
Son of Stuck Funky
This Week in Milford

Image Hosting

Imgur (basically your best option)
Tinypic
Xomf
Minus

The other thing we like to do here is make comics better. It's not much of a challenge, but it keeps us off the streets. You can do it too!

Image Editing

Paint .NET (Windows)
Seashore (OSX)
Pixelr (web)
GIMP

(By Forktoss)

Fonts

Blambot comic fonts
FBofW by KentuckyFriedBonBon
Jane's World by Haikeeba!
Luannfont by Haikeeba!
Minimum Security by Haikeeba!
Pearls by Haikeeba!
Gamgasm by Haikeeba!

Edits

9 Chickweed Lane by Say Nothing

Apartment 3-G by Tiggum

Apartment 3-G by greatn

https://clyp.it/mngolsfd

Dustin by R Ubbish

Foob by FactsAreUseless

Funky Winkerbean by Tiggum

Hi and Lois by Tiggum

Judge Parker by R Ubbish

Luann by Say Nothing

Mandrake the Magician by FactsAreUseless

Mark Trail by Borden

Mark Trail by R Ubbish

Nancy by Borden

Nancy by AxeManiac

Phoebe and Her Unicorn by Cricken_Nigfops

Rex Morgan by Say Nothing

Spider-Man by R Ubbish

Spider-Man by FactsAreUseless

Whatever the gently caress this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG1VIvldVJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm092Vp8ISw

If you've got some other edits from the last thread you'd like to repost, repost them. If you've got some new edits, post them. And always remember

:fireman:

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kumaton posted:

Let's not forget what's on the first page of a GIS for "fappo"!

If anyone has the rest of these comics, please post them. I lost my collection a few phones ago.

They're by Jay Pinkerton and are on his website.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Holy poo poo, I forgot I ever did this. Where the gently caress did you find it? I have a bunch of my Spider-Man edits (sadly, the first half or so are permanently lost), thanks to GorfZaplen, but I don't remember this one at all.

I just skimmed the post histories of a few regular posters in the last thread to see if I could find any good edits. So, sorry to anyone who feels left out, it wasn't intentional. I just couldn't go through the entire thread.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I love that that's become Mark's standard way of answering the phone. "NAME, you old THING! Still ACTIVITY?"

Tunicate posted:

Is Jam Esallen auditioning to be the next writer on The Phantom?
Not the first time that's been asked.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm still exists. It just hasn't been amusing in awhile
Was it ever?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

:roflolmao:

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'm sure this is well-trod ground for the comics thread, but my god, the number of rerun strips in the newspaper is depressing. There's loads of cartoonists out there, so I'm assuming it's an audience issue, as only old people and children visiting their grandparents' house that doesn't have wi-fi read newspaper comics anymore. Still, good lord.
The thing is, the only people who care about the comics in the newspapers are ludicrously attached to them and will send in mountains of complaint letters if any of the familiar ones are replaced.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Family Circus created by Bill(y) Keane in 1960, now authored by his son, Jeff(y) Keane.
The author (and father in the comic) is Bil. Billy is one of the children in the comic, most closely based on Glen, Bil's third child. Thel is based on Bil's wife, Thelma, Dolly is based on their eldest child, Gayle and Jeffy is based on the current author, Jeff, the youngest of the siblings. PJ isn't based on anyone specific.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Foob, better known as For Better or For Worse by Lynn Johnston, ran from 1979 to 2008, and rebooted in 2010 as new "reruns", wherein Lynn is redrawing parts of the story and rewriting some things.
For a couple of years Lynn was adding and rewriting stuff, but then she basically gave that up and it's mostly just the original strips now.

Every year you see this "joke" about grown adults who somehow can't manage to stay awake till midnight one night a year. What the hell is wrong with these people?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Odonata posted:

LEVEL 1: You read the thought bubble and think, “Wow, a dirt old perv.”- Expected.

LEVEL 2: You read the descriptive text and think, “Old pervs prefer poodles?”- Gross.

LEVEL 3: You realize the old perv and lady are both dogs. The true horror of what you are seeing dawns on you:

You take a long, hot shower, but you can never feel clean again.
Actually I'm pretty sure that guy is a bear.

If King Features had any kind of marketing savvy, that mug would be on sale right now. The URL to their store page would be printed right on the comic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

That poor bartender.
That panel is almost better than the ones where Danger demands that innocent witnesses or victims "spit words". :roflolmao:

Selachian posted:

Wait, his cousin calls him uncle? Is this one of those "I'm My Own Grandpa" things?
Well, technically "cousin" just means "relative", so your nephew actually is your cousin.

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

The Pros & Cons comic, Supposed a Knave, is really good too. It's basically the same as the strip, but it's a complete story as well as being funny.

It's probably too much to hope for, but if that's Ken Kensington I'll be really happy.

amishjosh posted:

Oh god, I'm remembering bits and pieces of some of the stuff that was made in previous threads. Didn't someone do a video or two of mary worth or apartment 3g with all the weird camera angles lifted straight from the comic? Anyone else remember that?
I don't think it was done by anyone who posts here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It may or may not help to know that that final panel is a reference to another comic, Overboard. It's about a bunch of people and animals who live on a ship. The ship is mostly irrelevant.

Oh, and that first strip I posted? It's not part of a storyline or anything, that's all the context you get.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Just to be sure, this strip's never really good, right? Or did it just lose the funniness over time?

I couldn't tell you. It's never been good since I've been aware of it, but I wasn't reading it in the '90s.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Tokyo?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Because sure, he's an rear end in a top hat for hitting on the staff, who are doubtless tired of it, but he's not being "pitcher of beer stein of cheese dumped on him" levels of rear end in a top hat.
FTFY.

Why would you say 5 in 10,000 instead of 1 in 2000? :stare:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

It's been most of a year since I was caught up with the comic-strip thread, and I'd sort of hoped in that intervening period that someone would tell the "Rex Morgan M.D." guys about how to draw a little girl who isn't obviously possessed by devils.
IIRC she's based on the artist's niece or something.

LordPants posted:

This guy is gonna be some sex murderer isn't he? A beautiful lady in my apartment. Makes. Me. So. Angry. .:argh:
He's angry because she's a drunk who keeps hassling him and showing up at his house and won't accept that he wants nothing to do with her.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Pre-emptive subtitle suggestion for whenever the thread title gets changed to fix the numbering: In days of A3-G
This is the tenth comic strip megathread not counting the Foob threads, but there was already one labelled ten, so this is ten-two. It's also consistent with the thread numbers being arbitrary, inaccurate, and/or confusing. :downs:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Is Evans actually trying to imply that these two haven't had sex in all the years of dating and almost moving in together that's gone on? They started dating in 2001.
Yes. Sex is basically the worst and most terrifying thing in the Luann world. Even just being near enough someone that you could touch them is a scary prospect to these characters. Luann and Quill have to turn the lights off to kiss, to hide their sinful lust. Gunther is the perfect boyfriend because he is appropriately afraid of sex. Just remembering that it exists as an abstract concept leaves him stammering and looking for a way out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This has been bothering me since this storyline started. How is this article going to work? Mark's going to talk about these healthy bats and then awkwardly segue into "but if they happened to have white-nose syndrome, that would be bad." Don't you want to go visit a sick colony and observe the effects for your article? Why are you looking at healthy bats as research for your article about bat diseases?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kumaton posted:

Still better than Inspector Danger.
Hey, Inspector Danger gets results. If he were on the case Herringbone would be behind bars already. Sure it'd be on some absurd, trumped-up charge, but the money would be safe.

goatface posted:

Gabe, we can get shirtless and go bouldering to reach the roosts for a few photos, and then maybe wrestle a few big horn sheep for some more pictures to go in a sidebar. Then you can get some more shots of my torso for the regular column on outdoor muscle toning, written by my abs.
If Mark Trail just became an endless series of excuses for Mark to take his shirt off and wrestle animals, I would be totally OK with that.

Moon Slayer posted:

Turns out James Allen is a climate change denier
Well, that is unfortunate.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD
She literally has mind control powers, doesn't she? :tinfoil:

You're asking the salesperson to make you a lovely version of something that is already included with the product! :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I guess Adams found out about MRA Dilbert and decided to make it redundant.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Mr Beeg, you're in the comics industry; can you hook me up with some side work? Because I'm pretty sure my drunk rear end using Paint Shop Pro 7 can do a better job, and I need the money.
Paint Shop Pro 7 is still the best image editing software. :hfive:

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy and

I had to check this wasn't an edit. That dialogue is just weird and terrible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Do others have a problem with xomf hosted images? They absolutely refuse to load for me.

I used to but they seem to work now. I've also had issues with Tinypic, Minus and Photobucket though. Imgur's the only one that's been consistently trouble-free.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That's not a joke, it's a perfectly reasonable answer.

Someone needs to tell James Allen to stop putting his friends in the comic, they all look really weird.

EasyEW posted:

Please Tell Me We're Not Spending A Whole Week On Robert Plant
I don't understand how this works, therefore it's dumb! :downs:

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis
Is there a joke here? Arlo gets out his clothes for the day, then puts them on. What? :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I don't understand this crimestoppers advice. In Australia, taxis have a meter that tells you what your fare is up to the whole time. You can watch it tick up as you travel. How does it work in America that they can somehow cheat you?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Taking longer routes to artificially drive the fare up when a shorter route would've worked just as well.
Actually, regardless of how they're planning to cheat you, what good does asking them for an estimate do you? They can just give an inflated estimate or not even bother to do that and when it costs more just say "Sorry, I guess I a wrong. :shrug:"

If you're worried they might deliberately take you a longer way, just tell them to use the satnav.

Does Leia even look like that in the new one?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

:golfclap:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Green Intern posted:

I would be alright with Kit studying magic under Mandrake, leaving Heloise to fill the shoes of Phantom.

That would pretty much be the best outcome for this story. I hold no hope of it actually happening though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Oh, that Web! Don't trust him, Margo! You can do better!
Looks like this strip might finally be about to get interesting soon. Soon by soap opera standards, I mean. So maybe in a couple of weeks.

Bad joke aside, would it really have been so difficult to write a problem with an actual answer?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis
Did they just walk into each other? Is that the joke?

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

It's fun when the comic has to stop down and explain why there aren't any competent superheroes pitching in.
Doesn't explain where the Fantastic Four, the X-Men or Daredevil are though. They've all been featured in the comic before. And I wouldn't be surprised at this point to see Jessica Jones or Luke Cage show up either.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

catlord posted:

Doesn't Crankshaft take place in the '70's? I was under the impression it didn't make as many timeskips as Funky Winkerbean and was still several decades behind, and on occasion would jump ahead to now where Crankshaft is a dying old man.

The timeline is weird, because Funky Winkerbean's time-jumps don't actually change the year. The characters all age up and their lives have progressed, but the strip is still set in the present just like it always was. Crankshaft is also set in the present, but from the perspective of Funky Winkerbean it's the past. There are even crossovers where the characters in Funky remember the events currently happening in Crankshaft as being a long time past, even though they're happening now. So for example, in 2016 Les and Funky might reminisce about something that happened 20 years ago, in 2016. And even though the current Crankshaft story is set in 2016, if we see Crankshaft himself appear in Funky Winkerbean, he'll be 20 years older. It makes no sense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis
I swear this comic exists just to confuse me. :psyduck:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

All the complaining you do about how customers make your job terrible and this is how you treat someone with an even worse job than yours?

Johnny Walker posted:

I always thought part of the point of having candy on your desk was so that people would come around and hang out and chat a little every once in a while. It's like a signal of friendliness and approachability in the office.

In other words, don't put out candy if you don't want people around you.
Yeah, if she didn't want to share she should have eaten them out of the bag. In fact, the joke would have worked much better that way. It would still have been bad, but just because it's really obvious and has been done a million times, whereas now it's worse because it doesn't really make sense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

If you hadn't done it, I would have.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kid Fenris posted:

Judge Parker makes Funky Winkerbean's literary wish-fulfillment look like the Bataan Death March.

At least the characters in Judge Parker have the decency to be happy about everything always going their way. Les Moore gets everything he claims to want and then complains about it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, and that makes light of people who actually need therapists. In a world where there's too many just world believers and laymen who think psychology is a useless profession, I think it would be nice if more media gave a fairer view of these things.

It's a fair point and a good criticism of entertainment media in general, but I don't think you can usefully apply it to this specific case.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Ugh. She's going to read about him fighting again and, despite everything she knows about him, instantly decide that he's become a terrible person.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Poil posted:

Do you seriously not know the directions to the place where you work? Is that how you start the commute every day? Is something like take route # in <direction> too difficult? Maybe it's different in America but I have NEVER seen a mall that didn't have huge signs and billboards directing you when you get to the closest off ramp or intersections.

Maybe he's just bad with directions. I can't give directions. I know how to get to places as I'm going there, but if I try to think through the route in advance I've got no idea. If it's somewhere close I might be able to give a general idea of direction and distance, but that's about it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Classic Dinette Set kills time.

Can someone explain this one to me?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Is this supposed to be a sex joke or a winter joke or something else?

I think they're breaking the fourth wall by discussing possible future strips. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aardmania posted:

Gil 04/05/15

I doubt you can buy much candy (or anything else) with 50˘.

• Locked thread