Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I don't think anyone should be giving the Feds the benefit of the doubt here after how badly they botched the bundy ranch situation, what with no one actually facing any consequences whatsoever as far as I can tell. In the previous incident, I was with the camp that thought they would definitely just be picking up these people one by one and charging them after the fact. That was almost two loving years ago.

I would be surprised if the feds took action here without a lot of outside pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

blowfish posted:

so wipe the place off the map with B52s, at which point everybody in the area dying is a feature and not a bug :mrgw:

Try actually preventing people from entering or leaving the property at all. If you've been paying attention so far there is 0 police presence and I doubt anyone is even keeping track or who is coming and going yet.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

illumn8d posted:

I just mailed them a case of seed bells to:

General Mail
John Ritzheimer or Blaine Cooper
Burns, OR 97720

Feed the birds the snacks they so sorely deserve.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Condiv posted:

jfc i cannot believe the fbi's actual strategy is to poo poo around doing nothing and hope these guys go away and then arrest them

Just had to fix that there. At this point I would be really surprised if anyone was arrested.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I've got everything thought out here completely. Once I'm dead, my Youtube channel will be SUPER popular. It will be amazing

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The SEALS just made their tactical appearance on the scene:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

As a Millennial I posted:

Speaking of Santilli, remember the guy on his stream from Tuesday who said "I'm documenting the arrest of Pete Santilli"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8KeeIW5eMM

:gizz:

Anyone know why they didn't just arrest him right away? It seemed like they waiting for him to offer to try convince the women/children to get out of the compound because they grabbed him right after that. Also why were they so many heavily armed dudes there for the arrest?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
That would honestly be hilarious if crazed fat guy and tweaked out methkid were put up on a pedestal as a great example of humanity.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 29, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Pueidist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWxTnIF7vP0

you can even see the dudes arms go down when the cop fires the fire shot at 5 secs

Yeah this speaks for itself. Anyone saying the dude's hands were up when he was shot are full of it, you can see him reaching into his coat right there. No cop is going to want to take a chance with their life allowing the subject to potentially reach for a weapon after they've been told to put their hands up. Especially one who is on record saying that he wouldn't allow himself to be arrested and was armed.

He even reached down multiple times before they fired at him.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 29, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Perfectly Safe posted:

You've touched the poop, but never mind. Unless I'm missing something, the order would be to "lie down on the ground with your hands away from your body".

Yeah true, if that's what happened then it's even worse for the guy. Shouldn't have even been up let alone walking and reaching into his coat.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Perfectly Safe posted:

"Deceitful tactics". It's just adorable that one of their complaints is that the feds aren't playing fair with wanted criminals.

Yeah uh, maybe they wanted everyone to form lines and take turns shooting each other in lines like in the good ol' reenactments.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Prester Jane posted:

For those who have read my Authoritarian thread, what we are witnessing w/r/t Finicum'a death are what I call "Outer Narrative's. Outer Narratives do not need to resemble reality in any way and they will shift and twist and contort and it will not give any Narrativists a moments pause. The truthfulness and accuracy of an Outer Narrative is irrelevant.

I suspect what they actually believe is something along the lines of: "He was a freedom fighter gently caress da po-lice 420 gov'ment took my baby."

With or without the 420.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

ToastyPotato posted:

But the whole basis of their movement is essentially doing what Tarpman did, or at least threatening it. One of them finally goes through with it, and they want to pretend it didn't happen, so that they can be fake mad and threaten to basically do exactly what he did anyway.

It's more like they're glad that he stood up to BIG GOV'T, but angry that he actually suffered consequences for it. They're more than happy to come out publicly with the second one, but not the first. They're also more than willing to warp the story so it makes their side look better/more palatable. It's the whole "outer narrative" thing.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 7, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Lycus posted:

So their Internet's not really cut off? Or were they connected for a bit for some reason, and DefendYourBase just used the opportunity to upload a buttload of videos?

They found some working phones left behind inside one of the buildings. As far as I know all their personal phones were cut off when the FBI gave them a phone that could only be used to contact them.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
With any luck the first thing that happens in court is Santilli standing up, saying he doesn't require legal counsel to defend himself in a gold-fringe flagged admiralty court.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Phone posted:

What about the naval courts? What's the status of the naval courts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfSkBONbDwA

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Perfectly Safe posted:

Well, I mean, the only other explanation is that everyone involved is really, really stupid.

After everything we've seen so far, I think that's a pretty safe bet to make!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
This sounds like a damned stage play.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Did they just say they were protected by tarps?

-yep!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
"THEY'RE GONNA KILL YOU ARRRRRGHHHH"

"Uh no, we're going to stay on message here, and be calm"

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
:siren: windowless white van just drove through the roadblock :siren:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

InterFaced posted:

which one?

This guy:

/
"the murder of Levoy"

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

my dad posted:

Any details?

I don't know, I'm just watching this feed: http://interactive.kgw.com/mobile/breaking-video-2.html

Might just be a news van.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

A Winner is Jew posted:

Show of hands, would could have guessed that the other political party telling lies and fear mongering about obamacare for 7+ years would have made people totally unhinged about it by now?

This, but with literally everything

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
REMEMBER BRAVEHEART

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Fry seems like the kind of guy that would have joined ISIS in a heartbeat if he had an easy chance.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Even more than that though, he's the exact type of disenfranchised young male who is desperate to prove their masculinity while have nothing else to lose that would have fit in better with actual ISIS than the militia here.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I think it's over, finally!!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
How in the hell did they let those morons stay on the phone with Fry for so long?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I thought this was funny: the Bundys still referring to the wildlife refuge by their fake made-up name, WELL AFTER the feds have the place completely surrounded and are in the process of removing the last four. Pretty loving delusional.

https://www.facebook.com/bundyranch/posts/960032444073564

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

A Winner is Jew posted:

The other thing to watch for (and I'm sure the FBI are on this) is any potential OKC bombings from this. I have to say that the contrast to how they handled this standoff and the Bundy ranch one have been way better than Waco / Ruby Ridge, but sovcit's have been proven to be loving batshit at every corner and after all the cries of "they don't play fair" or "tarp man was murdered" I could easily see one of the fringe people wanting to become the next McVeigh.

Well, this whole incident was such a massive loving failure that even other militia groups are calling the whole thing a false flag. :lol:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
There's a good chance at least some of these people might be delusional enough to take it all to court, if only for the publicity. (Or they think that sov cit mumbo jumbo will save them)

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Skinty McEdger posted:

They were planning to go down to confront the authorities directly about getting his son's released, with Cliven thinking that with her protection he would be untouchable. Cliven had initially wanted to drive down but was persuaded by Fiore to fly. Fiore publicly announced their travel arrangements on social media the weekend before.

Wow this is even dumber than I initially imagined. I thought that Fiore might have been with the feds from the beginning and had slyly convinced Cliven to come over and help the rest of his yokel haram gang by plane. Also in a lot shorter timeframe so there wasn't days to plan for his arrest.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I had forgotten that while occupying the reserve, the cavalry (more militia units/oathkeepers) actually DID show up and the Bundies turned them away. That should have been clue number #500412323422 to the people remaining that the glorious Civil War 2 they were hoping for wasn't ever on the table.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

go3 posted:

didnt Ammon also get like a half-mil loan from the Small Business Administration?

Yep.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/01/ammon_bundy_his_history_and_a.html

quote:

Bundy shrugs off any criticism over the help.

"That's no handout, it's a 6-percent interest loan," he said, adding that he's up-to-date on the payments. "It's not welfare, it's not a grant.

"It's a loan."

:pwn:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Perfectly Safe posted:

Ok, but the question is to what degree, if any, they're conciously trying to create a situation in which they are oppressed so that they can fight against it. The normal revolutionary model tends to have an existent degree of oppression to be fought. In this case, the oppression is almost entirely imaginary. Are they on some level trying to create a system of oppression by acting in such a way as to make more surveillance/more restrictions on firearm ownership/more powers for LEOs appear reasonable and prudent? And therefore have something more concrete to fight against?

You're probably overthinking this. These people (really) aren't that smart. They actually believed they were going to be gunned down by the oppressive state at any moment and were stunned, over and over again, when it didn't happen.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 15, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mortanis posted:

Eh, I grew up around this sort of crowd. Hyper-right wing, mass-collection of guns, ultra-out there Christian (holy roller kinda stuff), and not a week would go by where they weren't spinning and twisting everything as being a direct assault upon their beliefs. Persecution Complex is just too light of a phrase. It was always "the government funds Planned Parenthood to directly challenge the established Christian faith" or "mark my words SuchandSuch Liberal candidate was hand selected because they will bring back the persecutions of Christians. Give it four years and they'll be burning us in sports arenas like they did in Rome" and on and on. Every single thing they disagreed with was spun as how it was a DIRECT assault on their way of thinking, and frequent discussions on how to counter it, with a side order of taking these perceived attacks and screaming on every forum, meeting and poor supermarket checker they could talk to.

There's a fervent belief that goes beyond any critical thinking or rationality and it's disturbing to know I've known people that were just as capable as all of this but lacked the opportunity to do such.

It's entirely automatic and ingrained into a certain group of people. It's not like they sit around and think "okay, how can we take the HORRIFIC notion of funding schools and turn it to our cause". There's a direct belief that they Are Under Assault and act accordingly.

I have little doubt that this group will push for a trial despite a plea being their best bet. They'll take every opportunity to show just how corrupt they see the government to be, how they're being paraded around for believing what they believe. It's the most public forum possible now, and in their eyes being martyred in court is just as good as being martyred with a gun during the occupation.

It's honestly really disturbing to me to see all this play out. I thought that the group I'd grown up with had been insular, a fringe of a fringe that was just truly nutty but at least it wasn't outside that little circle. I was so absurdly wrong.

Yeah I grew up around the same or a similar group of people, and the persecution complex is seemingly central to their very existence. They need some sort of battle to be fought, whether it's against an imaginary oppressive government, or literally spirits (biblical angels and demons) fighting in another dimension for/against their livelihood.

As for the people who were on the wildlife reserve, they seemed like they were kind of trying some sort of halfhearted effort to stick it to The Man and show how oppressed they were (writing "Camp Finnicum" on their tarp tent with a cross, heh). But if it there was an actual conscious plan, it was a really bad one and was poorly adhered to. If there's one thing we can be thankful for, at least, is that these sorts of outbursts don't really connect with people outside their dwindling group.

Check out this thread if you haven't already, it deals with these types in great detail: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708238

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 15, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Jarmak posted:

very common human social behavior.

I'm not saying that thread has the perfect prescriptive analysis of the types of people it purports to analyze, but it is pretty drat accurate description of their behaviors. If you're trying to say that the extreme level of bullshit that happened on the reserve is common human behavior, however, I don't think anyone is going to agree.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
It's Kyoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
It looks really blatantly copy/pasted but I don't know from where.

• Locked thread