Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

blood grove is full of cultists that will drop the chthonic seals, any place with human chthonic enemies will do but I think blood grove has the largest concentration of them

There's also that Cultist HQ you can find in Act 1, but Blood Grove is probably better for farming just because it's so much bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

watho posted:

I rolled up a new character, going with a Blade Dancer(?) this time. Should I use cadence or just regular attacks. Not quite sure how the "Activates off of any default attacks" things work.

Things that trigger off your default attacks will also trigger off things like Cadence that are designed specifically to replace your default attack. (Cadence, Fire Strike, Savagery or whatever the Shaman one is killed are the main ones, I think). Some 0-cooldown attacks aren't so designed, but they'll say so in the description. And Cadence will absolutely be better than your default attack.

One alternative to using either Cadence or ordinary vanilla attacks with a Nightblade combo, though, is to put Ameratsa's Blade Burst on your left-click. While it's on cooldown, you'll do default attacks (and have the chance to proc your special attacks that trigger there), but one attack out of every 3 or 4 or so will be a Blade Burst, and once you have points in Lethal Assault, that will buff all of your attacks (since it triggers every time you do a blade burst and lasts a few seconds). I don't know if this is better than Cadence (I've not really played much with Soldier) but I can absolutely vouch for it as being very effective on the Witch Hunter (Nightblade+Occultist) I'm currently running.

Once you have a few proc-on-attack devotions that you can put on either Blade Burst (or Cadence) or one of your proc-on-default attacks, then poo poo gets crazy.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also, while this is a longshot (especially since it only happens when you're doing multiplayer), check your CPU temperature. The way I found out I was having CPU cooler issues with my last machine is inexplicable framerate drops that happened because the processor speed was being throttled.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Slime posted:

So...is killing that thing in the necropolis the end of the game? Do I just up the difficulty now or something?

Aside from doing bounty quests and a couple of the better-hidden sidequests, that's the end. I've heard rumors that they're going to add another act in an expansion, but no idea how much truth there is.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Not to mention that hidden path DLC suggests something is happening with the witch gods.

Yeah, and when you call Mogdrogen's avatar in that shrine quest, he hints at goings-on too (in between taunting you and being all "gently caress you I don't have to talk to you, mortal").

The Rokstar posted:

It's coming, it's just that the game is made by a tiny team and it's gonna take them a while.

Ah, good. Yeah, makes total sense.

I don't really find the story that compelling (though there are side bits I like a lot, like the inexplicable orders, presumably by Aetherial-possessed folks, that Tyrant's Hold be abandoned) but it would be nice to have some better resolution to it all, and I'm looking forward to that.

Plus more and better ways to smash evil in the face.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

What's the best devotion skill to attach to a dual pistols build and proc a shitload?

It's really going to depend on what damage type you're trying to maximize, but I've grown inordinately fond of Elemental Storm on my Amarasta's Blade Burst-focused character, and I can see it being hilarious on a gunner build as well.

There are probably better choices, though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I wouldn't bother with grinding the Depraved Sanctuary, no. Once you hit the Blood Grove and beyond, you'll be swimming in Cthonics.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There are probably better lightning-specific devotion choices, but Elemental Storm proccing off Primal Strike has got to be at least as hilarious as it is proccing off Amerasta's Blade Burst.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I can't vouch for what it'll be like at higher levels, but I'm in the low 30s with a dual-wielding (using Bladesworn Talisman) melee Pyromancer (maxing fire strike, building up the various other auras and such, and I'll eventually start throwing points into Blackwater Cocktail) and everything I stab dies and everything I get close to dies (between the ring of fire ability and the Fiend devotion) and now that I have Wendigo's Mark bound to Flashbang everything I look at funny dies and everything just sort of dies.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

soscannonballs posted:

So are there any changes to the base game in the past few months? I see there is a DLC thing but I am not sure if I want to buy that.

The Crucible DLC is certainly not necessary, but I enjoy messing about with it a lot more than I thought I would. (It's also a decent way to get a jump-start on your devotion points if you are so inclined.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ssmagus posted:

filled with high damage aether floors

This is my least favorite mechanic in Grim Dawn by a considerable margin.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

It's nice to hear that, because as someone casually rolling through single player they were a serious what the gently caress moment

Is there anyway to mitigate them? Re-doing it on normal with more than no Aether resist and tons of health results in them... Still being surprisingly harsh?

The only thing I've found that helps at all is stuff like that Arcanist skill that temporarily blocks all damage. (Things like Shadow Strike or other charging skills also can help if you can find an enemy in a safe place that will let you run out of the death zone.) Otherwise you basically just have to chug healing potions/use healing skills and hope you can find a safe place to stand before you die. Which in a roguelike dungeon sounds like fuuuuuuuuuuun.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

At work, what is this change?

I just skimmed it but it looks like items can make changes/more specific buffs to certain skills. So you could have the Legendary Awesome Hot Knife Through Butter that turns your Amerasta's Blade Burst cold damage to fire or something.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Finally tried Port Valbury for the first time. I think having it built up as this horrible unfun drudge helped because I was expecting it to be The Floor Is Radioactive Lava: The Dungeon, and was pleasantly surprised it wasn't quite that.

Still, I think throwing myself at it twice is enough for now. Sorry Outcast, you're gonna have to do your own dirty work (til I come back in a higher difficulty).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I had it on a Primal Strike character and I wouldn't say it actually added much mechanically, but it did, crucially, make her even more of a walking heavy metal video.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There was a pretty good breakdown of How To Devotion somewhere in the last few pages of this thread. e. Aha, here we go:

The Mash posted:

Here's a general guideline for building a devotion tree:
1. Before reaching 40 devotion points, take whatever looks good on the way.
2. After reaching ~40 points, you can respec and move towards your endgame spec

There's 4 types of constellations:
- The really terrible ones (some are universally terrible, some are merely terrible for your build) - Example. Harvestman's Scythe, Rhowan's Scepter,
- The ones that are bad but offer a lot of points, typically at least a 1:1 ratio - Example: Lizard, Eel, Hammer, Viper (it is worse than it looks for most builds)
- The low-mid-range ones that are genuinely good - See below
- The high-end ones - Anything that doesn't give points in return. Almost all of these award more stats per point, so the objective is to unlock these.

Here's some examples of things you get for a single point in the outer ring, showing why you want to unlock these as cheaply as possible:
75 DA, 6% melee dodge, 6% ranged dodge (Hourglass)
8% Health (Tree of Life)
30% reduced stun and freeze duration, +4% armor (Obelisk)
+5% attack speed, +280 health (Unknown Soldier)
4% Physical resistance, 200 health (Oleron)
+20 offensive ability, +80% Chaos damage, +150 health (Abomination)

Go to grimcalc.com or grimtools.com to set your devotions, since you'll have to move points around to optimize before applying points ingame.

To start with, figure out which high-end constellation(s) is best for your build. You can often afford two if they share dependencies (like Hourglass/Spear or Unknown Soldier/Oleron).
Then look at what good mid-range constellations are available that is directly on the way to your high-end constellations (ie. require the same colours and offers the same colours).
Then, working backwards, take points in decent low-end constellations that offer bonuses to your damage type or, especially, to defenses. Don't take points in anything that doesn't give at least a 1:1 return unless it is in itself very good or must-have for your build. Don't take point in crossroads except to open up a path, then unlearning. Save crossroads for if you're ever 1 point short of a colour.
Build your way up until you get your high-end constellation(s). Remember that these don't award points for completion, so if there's a bad point off to one side of it, you can skip it
Then take one-point wonders or low-cost gems to fill out. Consider yellow and red crossroads for 1-pointers as they are the best.

Here's some good early constellations:
Blue: Sailor's Compass, Eel (if Nightblade, otherwise bad)
Green: Hawk
Red: Jackal
Yellow: Crane, Panther (if you also need blue)
Purple: Empty Throne

Here's some very strong midgame constellations for specific situations:
Manticore - most of it is garbage but the skill is incredibly strong for every build in the game, take it if you have the colours for it and can make it fit
Kraken - MUST HAVE if you're running a 2h weapon. The physical damage/attack speed components are potentially skippable for some 2h builds but either way, the constellation is very strong
Blades of Nadaan - MUST HAVE if you're doing a pierce-based Blademaster for the Armor Piercing bonus.
Giant's Blood - Some wasted points in the constellation but the skill is good
Targo the Builder - 4 point "spine" is exceptional for health for any build, the rest of Targos is good if you plan on running high armor.
Falcon - Has been nerfed a thousand times so it's not must-have anymore, but if you're running purple/green it's still worthwhile, and the skill is the best looking Devotion skill in the game

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Too Shy Guy posted:

I realize this is probably a stupid question but I can't find a clear answer online. If a hardcore character dies in one of the Skeleton Key-locked superdungeons, are they still permadead? I never beat the Steps of Torment with a normal character so there's no way I'm taking a hardcore one down there if they only get one shot at it.

I love ARPGs but I've always kind of sucked at them because I never thought real hard about gearing and just stacked as much damage as I could until some difficulty past normal beat the poo poo out of me. Grim Dawn is my favorite of the lot and I've decided I want to get good at it, and making a hardcore character has been super helpful in teaching me how to gear. Even erring hugely on the side of caution with defenses and resistances I can still put out more than enough damage to get by, so finding that right balance between offense and defense has become way more interesting than it ever was with a normal character.

I don't play hardcore characters but yeah, I'm pretty sure if you die, you're dead, no exceptions, even in the roguelikes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Too Shy Guy posted:

The only skills that count as defaults are the ones that still use the default attack animations, and I think that's just Cadence for Soldier, Fire Strike for Demo, and Savagery for Shaman.

I think the ones you get from the Shard of Beronath and the Mistborn Talisman count as default replacers too. Otherwise, yeah, nothing else does.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Digirat posted:

Apparently they're turning beasts into an official enemy faction with the expansion. What, do the yetis have a union?

Does this mean we're getting Nemesis Cows?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

I've wanted beasts as a faction since forever. More bosses is more better. Having a crow nemesis would be sweet.

If it means we get more manticores spawning as your rep drops with the beasts, and thus more chances than "lol yeah right" at getting some goddamn manticore eyes, I'm super in favor.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dammit, I just made the mistake of accepting one of those "hunt for this guy who can spawn literally anywhere in a region you're twenty levels past" bounties.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll just throw points wherever and play til I get bored with the character. I look forward to playing all of Normal and about 1/10th of Elite twenty more times.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm honestly just looking forward to being able to dual-wield pistols without waiting til level 20 or 25.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

I'm still searching for a build that feels great to play. I had been doing a demo two handed gun build but it got boring after a while. Respecced into a DOT based build, found it boring.

My favorite builds in ARPGs are the "dart around the map, dive into the middle of a pack and cause everything to melt." is there anything like that in this game?

There may well be some new hotness coming with the expansion but my favorite for that sort of thing (and I will stress that it is just my favorite, not necessarily the best or most optimal) is a dual wielding Nightblade combo (witch hunter or spellbreaker are what I usually go with) centered around Amerasta's Blade Burst.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

I'll try the blade burst build then, thanks. When do you usually go for a second mastery? Cause it looks like the Arcanist skills in that build are mostly to augment damage, not required early on. Also, do you prioritize putting points in the mastery while leveling up (i.e. keeping the skills like shadow strike and blade burst at level 1 until you're mastery level 50)?

I usually like to max out one attack skill (usually blade burst in this case) while leveling since overwhelming force is the best way to deal with enemies early on before you have good gear or defenses available. You can always buy those points back later if you want.

There's also a ring that drops pretty commonly from the boss in the slith cavern beneath Devil's Crossing that gives you a +2 to blade burst. Get a couple of those early, slap some ectoplasm on them, and basically don't worry about anything til like act 3 or so.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dr_Gee posted:

That moment when it clicks is p. great. I played quite a bit of TQ but never quite got it until Grim Dawn. Been thinking of running back through TQ at some point...but GD feels so much better from an animation/gameplay syncing perspective.

Titan Quest is probably my favorite ARPG ever, but I'll definitely admit that trying to step backwards wrt the technology of the game is a challenge for me now.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

I assume the new loot that affects skills and such is mixed through the game too.

I just saw one drop in early Act One.

I'm 15 levels into a dual-gunner Purifier and this is easily the best early leveling experience I've ever had, particularly with guns.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I haven't done anything with Necromancer yet (I don't like pet classes though I'm sure there's other stuff it can do) but Inquisitor seems insanely good.

Sometime I'm gonna build something around that flamethrower skill Inquisitor gets. Still having way too much fun with my gunslinger though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

queeb posted:

holy poo poo did they change? I keep pressing the wrong one to merge all my components and poo poo and i was wondering if I was crazy. i hadnt played in awhile before the expac.

Yeah, they changed the buttons a bit (and enlarged the stashes). I was in a brief panic when I first launched the expansion because I thought my transfer stash was just gone til I figured it out.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I have no idea how it holds up in the long term but Bone Harvest looks incredible.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 15, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I am playing a tanky tactician and had a similar experience, though perhaps less dramatic. The expansion was a lot of fun to play and required careful positioning and well considered use of my skills, but death was rare. In elite, all the way to act 3, my health bar simply does not move from full.

Of course, my first 50 levels were all spent on the masteries and core offensive skills, then the next 15 were spent on defenses. Similarly with devotions, I didn't hit the big money defensive constellations like obelisk and shieldmaiden until elite. Maybe if I had rushed for zero shield recovery by the time I reached the expansion it also would have felt trivial, but even the fact that it requires a heavier focus on defense in veteran than most of the core campaign in elite suggests that it's a little overtuned.

This is more or less how Titan Quest's (expansion) fourth act worked out too, so I think it's just a thing with these developers.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

One day I will beat the Port Valbury City Council. One day. But not today.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

Is there any way to reliably get the Mistborn Talisman? Grinding it to get my Relic is annoying as hell. I know you can kill the two troll kings (Smugglers Pass and East Marsh) for a shot at it but quitting and reloading them over and over again is a hassle to say the least...

Aside from trading in multiplayer or cheating the recipe in, that's probably your best bet. If it helps, it sure seems like drop rates for rare stuff have gotten a lot better since the expansion.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

Well, after mowing down Elite with my DW Fire Purifier, and now taking on Elite with my 2H Cold Reaper, I feel that Ranged is superior to Melee in this game... That's going to make things interesting for future characters, because I love playing Melee DPS. Ranged DPS has always been something that, while I don't mind it, I never find it as fun as Melee. This game is making me feel the love for Ranged DPS.

I know exactly what you mean, but this is also one of the first ARPGs where I've actually really enjoyed ranged characters. (Which definitely got a lot of love from the expansion.)

I don't think there's a single playstyle that's nonviable at this point, though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jusupov posted:

Is swapping your main damage skills to mouse buttons and going to page II an accurate way to see how much damage those skills do and whether a weapon is better than another?

This certainly seems to be more reliable than the DPS meter, yes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So is it just me or is maxed-out Inquisitor's Seal insanely good?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hi posted:

Hello Grim Dawn goons

I played this game with a friend months ago and got towards the end of the second play thru with a demo/warrior guy with a rifle. It was fun but I just snagged the expansion and was doing some brief reading while it downloads.

Inquis/demo looks like the gun toting death machine I wanted to build the first time around but with the crucible and max level 100 now I hear a lot of talk about fun builds vs truly end game viable builds etc.

If I'm going to spend hours and hours playing a character I wa t to know 30 hours in I'm not going to hit a brick wall because of choices I made 30 hours prior I can't change. Can inquis/demo run whatever people are considering end game now?

Can someone link a build? And if so can you also post a necro/warrior build because I like to pick class combos that sound cool but also have to powergame sperge and be sure I'm min maxing to the fullest.

The good news is, there's basically nothing you can't undo at this point except for your initial class selections.

I don't have any detailed rifle Purifier builds but your general framework will probably be something like:

Max out Inquisitor's Seal and Blast Shield (as these are two of the best defensive buffs in the game at this point, I think, and certainly the two best that you have access to). Temper too.

Focus predominantly on attack/total speed (so points in the base Inquisitor gun skill, Vindictive Flame, and the Kraken devotion) first. Focus then mostly on improving your autoattacks, so points in Fire Strike, or use Shard of Beronath if you prefer and have one, and the various Inquisitor gun procs, and bind a couple of good devotions to these. (I like Elemental Storm as something it's easy to get quite early, though Twin Fangs is a great early choice too even though you're not otherwise focusing on Vitality damage.) Later on supplement with the elemental endgame devotion(s) of your choice.

The rune "mines" that Inquisitor gets are superb, especially early on, and will make your life a lot easier to the tune of a few points when you're starting out. Stun jacks too. You can always buy back the points you invested here when they drop off in stopping power or you decide you don't need them. In my experience, the first 20 or so levels as a gunnery character, and especially as a rifles character, are going to be your most painful. (If you're using the Grim Goon(ette) characters or some other Skip To The End method, ignore this.)

Get the best rifle you can find, and shoot all the things. Season with other skills to taste. You'll want to focus on either fire, lightning, or "elemental" damage.

There are people here with more experience who can probably give you even better advice, but these seem to be the basics.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ol Standard Retard posted:

so I started to notice that my Floor is Lava build was putting up elemental seals/storms in like, places I did not physically have access to attack

from what I can tell, those two skills proc off of Brimstone fragments from Fire Strike?? so a 25% chance on each of 6 fragments per shot

which is INSANE

Haha, yes, I've had Elemental Storm bound to fire strike and basically the entire screen ends up filled with swirling death. It's glorious.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

kingturnip posted:

I'm going through Veteran as a DoT Cabalist. It lacks a bit of punch once you've spent a few levels with Bloody Pox max'd out, but it turns out that if you transmute to Fevered Rage and embrace the spirit of Yakkity Sax, stuff just falls over dead. Make sure you put a few points in Ill Omen, mind you: cast Ill Omen on the first mob in a pack and then Bloody Pox as he(/she?) starts running away for maximum carnage.
Just make sure you've got some space in case you find there's a Hero mob in that pack.

RUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUN

...I loving love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

Also, someone toss out a suggestion of class combos that they would consider to be the exact opposite of a pet build. I am halfway through elite with a Necro/Occulist pet build and it is fun but after this I'd like to try something that feels very different.

Dual-wielding Spellbreaker (Nightblade/Arcanist). Shadow-strike into the middle of a group and stab everything all at once and generally just bounce around like a ping-pong-ball.

Dual guns Purifier (Demolitionist/Inquisitor) with as many devotion procs as possible on fire strike and your gun talents. Play it like a twin stick shooter and melt your video card.

Primal-strike focused Shaman/Whatever. Be a walking heavy metal video.