Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Y'all should build the sonar thing for the seamoth, you can find interesting caves with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

GlyphGryph posted:

Thanks for the recommendations! Found the mod station and filtration units in the koosh! I'm basically set to be "done" for a while once I check out it's recipes.

So here's a question: If you could choose any one material in the game to find a crate absolutely full of, what would it be?

For me, it would be silver, hands down. There's just never enough of it, and it gets used in so many recipes!

Easily copper because you need it for a ton of poo poo, including beacons and signs. I can't live without a shitload of signs in my bases.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
No. You're also not the only one waiting for that.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Honky Dong Country posted:

You godamn monster.

I'd be fine with it if only the dive reels worked properly.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Xanderkish posted:

Incidentally, gently caress having to scavenge for Stalker teeth to get enameled glass. That was the biggest pain in the rear end and after about an hour of searching and getting like two of them, I said "gently caress it" and just console commanded them in, which is like the only thing I'm willing to do that for.

Find some scrap metal, drop it near a Stalker. It'll try picking it up and will break its teeth in the process.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Honky Dong Country posted:

I want multipurpose rooms shaped like the moon pool.

I want storage cabinets specially made for the walls so that I don't have to badly aim where to place them myself.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Met posted:

Yeah but this isn't mid 20th century earth. This is enlightened "We don't even eat meat as a society anymore" future. Weapons being defensive makes sense in that context.

Except that basically the first thing you do is grab a fish and bite its head off.

What's the difference between that and reapers, except that reapers are the spawn of satan?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDF97Ebilps

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
a) can that alarm be turned off
b) can we shoot stuff yet because running away being the only option is stupid

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Unlike what that dev said, Subnautica is not a non-violent game. The world is violent, only the player isn't.

Except for things that are smaller than him, they're totally fair game.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Probably should've concentrated more on the exploring side of things instead of making the things you explore in become lovely. This game should be about finding neat stuff to find, cool things to see, not babysitting your paper-maché submarine or juggling very limited inventory space.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
If they want it realistic, put some loving guns in there.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Carcer posted:

Its almost as if letting it get damaged by little dings and scrapes is a dumb idea.

I dunno, I kinda like the sound of this. Little scrapes shouldn't do much on their own but you could get in trouble if you get a lot of them. So you mostly ignore them until it gets bad enough that you have to deal with it and give your boat a fresh coat of paint.

Then later on you get the nanobot-autorepair module and you can ignore small damage completely unless you get absolutely swarmed by a horde of rabid goldfish that kills you faster than you can repair.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Yardbomb posted:

Just got this game earlier thanks to the sale after keeping an eye on it for a while, man is it cool as all hell.

So far the only thing that's disappointed me is that at first I thought the dive reel was one of those safety wires that yanks you back somewhere, only to find it's just a little breadcrumb trail tool. :saddowns:

Does it actually work yet? I tried using it quite a while ago but it was clipping through everything which made it completely useless to find my way back through some caves.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Yardbomb posted:

This has been pretty great too as someone who just got it, it's hard to go a few feet without a peeper or reginald or something else trundling past that I can scarf down when need be, which is a godsend compared to some other survival games.

I wonder what happens with the fish you eat. Obviously they don't die because that wouldn't do for highly developed aliens who have evolved beyond killing and don't have any lethal weaponry (*).

(*: except for knives)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I have 2 SSD's, one for the OS and one for games.

I don't suppose they will detect the fact that it's going to be on an SSD already, they're probably just going to copy it from one SSD to another. To make it faster. Right...

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
It's a big gently caress-off submarine, it should function as a big gently caress-off submarine. So not get damaged by fish bumping into it, and have enough staying/moving power to stay/move somewhere. The disadvantages should be that it's a bit cumbersome to move, have good straight-line speed but harder to turn and accelerate.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Bhodi posted:

What do I need to do in order to get fabricators to pull materials from nearby storage? If I have to literally learn unity and code this poo poo up as some mod I'm about at that level of need...

Do it do it do it do it

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Is there a storage room yet or do you still have to hang lockers on the wall and hope they're more or less straight?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Trustworthy posted:

Reinstalled yesterday for the first time since pre-PRAWN EA.

Spent the first half hour trying to get the game to display on the correct monitor, at the correct resolution, which was pretty challenging because the options menu wouldn't save my changes, sometimes wouldn't register my mouse input, and occasionally wouldn't even open on a visible/clickable part of the screen. Had to use some bug workarounds posted on the Steam forums in The Year of Our Lourde 2016.

After that things seemed all right, though. Performance was decent. The first rescue ship sequence was cool. Looking forward to building a scanner room that doesn't break my savegame. The new and "improved" Cyclops, not so much...

What's wrong with it? I've been following this thread but not actually playing so I could keep it sort of fresh for the final release. Last I played was a few years ago when the Cyclops was still cool, if a bit annoying to refuel. I think solar panels on top were a thing then, or maybe that had just ended.

Is the Cyclops as terrible as this thread made it seem?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
So what are the chances of a quick mod that gives fabricators the ability to pull stuff out of storage? I want to start playing but if there are QoL mods coming in the relatively near future I'd rather wait.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Man I wish I could kill things. Or at least get them to gently caress off for more than 5 seconds.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

CodeJanitor posted:

Yeah its pretty fun. Although trying to keep track of what resources I need to build stuff is a pain in the rear end. Really, really needs a summary list for higher level stuff so I don't have to keep tracking up and down the crafting list and writing this stuff down before heading out for a scavenging mission.

Once you have a scanner room, it's easier to go on resource gathering missions for a single thing. Make some dedicated lockers for poo poo you need a lot of and fill them up. I have like 3 lockers for titanium alone.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
New hobby: look for sharks, stab them in the face until they flee, then chase them with the seaglide and stab them again until they're dead.

Then take a screenshot and hang it on my wall.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

axelord posted:

You should give fruit a try. Melons and Bulbo tree are good sources of water and food. Plant them in your base and top up hunger and thirst when you get back to your base. Then just replant the seeds when you finish.

I like potatoes because you don't have to replant them.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Aww gently caress yeah.

Now make one that automatically crafts the intermediate components if you have the base materials. :v:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Dongattack posted:

I'll never understand why people just don't make a anonymous account to talk about hosed up poo poo instead of using their Lead Sound Designer account :q:

Probably because they don't think they're doing anything wrong.

That or they're stupid.

Maybe those 2 statements are really just 1.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

GlyphGryph posted:

Even in survival, you shouldn't be spending more than an hour collecting bladderfish.

Heck, you should only be spending 10 minutes.

Salt and tube coral is a much more effective means of making water.

You can make water out of fish, or out of salt and coral in a second using a fabricator and a small amount of power. But extracting water out of, well, water, for that you need a gigantic machine, a shitload of power, and it also takes half an hour. Oh subnautica, you so crazy.

Also today I discovered you need to actually plant the creepvine clusters to grow creepvine that will have clusters. Merely planting the creepvine won't do. That makes sense.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Zesty posted:

This isn’t a “kill every thing in the ocean” kind of game. That’s why every weapon is a defensive tool. Think Star Trek. Yeah, there are predators that want to take a bite out of you but you don’t need to kill them to deal with them.

When I or my stuff gets attacked by something I stab them until they're dead though.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Away all Goats posted:

Part of the problem is that stuff that should be its own hotkey has to take up a quickbar slot. Like there's no the reason flashlight shouldn't be its own dedicated hotkey like every game ever. Same thing with the scanner or habitat builder.

I have 10 numeric keys, no reason not to give me 10 quickbar slots.

1 Knife
2 Flashlight
3 Scanner
4 Repair tool
5 Habitat builder
6 Seaglide
7 Laser cutter

And that's about it? Except for the guns I never used. But no, I'm basically forced to switch out one or 2 tools each time I go inside or outside my base.

Game is excellent, but there's some really weird (or stupid) choices.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Another rather dumb thing is how you don't get the blueprint for one rocket part until you've built the previous one. Making one huge fetch quest into five different ones is kinda stupid when there's no logical in-game reason you wouldn't have the ingredient list before you start building.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

HexiDave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65NfCXFOGu8

Alright, pulling from containers now works with the Habitat Builder tool, and all the tooltips seems to work correctly. I finally got the 8 toolbar slots hooked up to keys properly, too (due to a bug with dnSpy, it's currently really difficult to get that above 8, but whatever). There's a link in the video description with instructions on how to "install" it - you're just overwriting the existing Assembly-CSharp.dll file in your Subnautica\Subnautica_Data\Managed folder.

I might do automatic sub-component crafting later, but I'd have to screw around with the UI to get the tooltips to make sense. Sky's pretty much the limit for what can be modded, if anyone has any good suggestions.

That is goddamn genius.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

HexiDave posted:

I was actually thinking about taking a crack at building a mod manager this weekend. I don't know how viable using https://github.com/pardeike/Harmony is - I've seen it used with the Nitrox multiplayer mod, but I don't know if I feel like writing a bunch of IL code if it ends up being required for all mods. I need to do some research.

I don't really post anywhere else, but if you know anyone that thinks they'd have fun with it be my guest.

r/subnautica?

But I have no idea how the community there is.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Internet Kraken posted:

Why does my scanning room randomly lose items from the list? Sometimes I can scan for 3 pages of items but other times its only 2.

I think it only knows about things in areas that have been loaded in.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
The energy efficiency module helps a lot too.

And a good trick when your base is out of energy and oxygen at night: just go to sleep.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Oh my, you can independently toggle the thing and the thing on the thing now?

Best. Game. Ever.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Hakkesshu posted:

I really think having some sort of map system is the thing this game needs to be essentially perfect for me - it doesn't need to be an automap, but some way to triangulate and map out an area yourself would add so much to the exploration aspect. Miasmata is a dope as hell game that has this and it would be perfect for Subnautica

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnauticabelowzero/mods/15

Wrr posted:

Anyone know if that mod that lets you craft from nearby storage lockers works for below zero, and also where to find it these days?

Yeah, EasyCraft: https://www.nexusmods.com/subnauticabelowzero/mods/10

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Zesty posted:

I'm going to say it. I like the Seatruck better than the Cyclops.

I miss my Seamoth. :cry:

(And sonar. Oh god do I want me some sonar. Luckily the seaglide map seems better than in vanilla.)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
The monsters in both Subnautica and Below Zero are really more scary than they are dangerous. It's quite nice design really.

And yeah, the truck is better than the Cyclops. It's faster and nicely modular.

Still miss the Seamoth though, and especially its radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Vargs posted:

I never did put a single non-depth module upgrade in the truck though, which was a bummer. Just didn't come across all of the parts necessary to build anything else. I think it was much easier to find scannable bits in the first game where you are generally cruising around looking for enormous wrecked sections of the Aurora, as opposed to Below Zero where you are instead generally looking for sea monkey nests scattered about in small cave mazes.

It's amazing how there are literally dozens of broken seatrucks scattered all over the place, but the upgrades can only be found in 1 sub-biome, and only in sea monkey nests.

Never mind the sea glider fragments, there must have been hundreds of crashes with those death traps.