Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Tales of Woe posted:

put your secondary role as mid and then pick morgana mid the 1% of times you get put there

60% of the playerbase being mid mains is great because now I can get whatever other role I want 80% of the time and when I do get mid I can just play a champ that lets me press W to wave clear and then go roam to gently caress with another lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

henkman posted:

Malphite is probably a rough matchup, just like he is for any mostly physical melee that scales with attack speed

Malph is actually one of Xin's better matchups because you can all in him early on before Malph's armor stacking really kicks in. Poppy, Riven, Cho and Shen are all pretty rough matchups for Xin because they have ways to play around his aggression. Vlad is apparently a really bad matchup for him too, though it seems rather counter-intuitive.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

henkman posted:

Champion.gg and my personal experiences disagree with this post, but ymmv

Hmm... yeah, looking at the stats you're right. Still, according to champion.gg top Xin has a 46% overall win rate, so I guess the answer to if he has bad matchups is yes, he has lots of them.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Mottie posted:

As someone who is starting to take all the tanky bruisers (namely shen and poppy but also nautilus) in both the top and support role, how would you say a top lane tank like nautilus is different than a support nautilus in terms of role and items bought? (Beyond the obvious sightstone and locket for support)

I can't speak much for Shen, but for Poppy and Naut Sunfire Cape is your core item for most of those tanks. In addition to the tank stats the damage and wave clear it gives you is pretty vital, and you'll want to go for it first unless you're against an AP lane. After that Iceborn Gauntlet is good for more armor, damage and CC. Armor itemization after that is kind of up to you - Deadman's is probably the best general purpose armor after those two, but Frozen Heart, Randuin's and Thornmail can be better situationally. For MR you probably want to get Spirit Visage first for the extra CDR, followed by Banshee's if you need more pure tank. Abyssal is an okay pickup on Naut if you have a serious AP threat in mid, and Hexdrinker can be decent on Poppy if you want more damage. Once it comes back Zz'rot Portal should probably fit into most builds at some point.

Also, I'm not sure it's good but my favorite Naut build is RoA, Sunfire, Iceborn, then whatever other tank stat is necessary.

As for role, both have surprising damage, but after that it depends on team comp. Naut leans more towards engage and Poppy peel, but both can do the other if needed. You mostly just want to identify whether your CC is better spent protecting your carries or making their carries life hell.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

badjohny posted:

So I started playing again after a while away (years) and I am at a loss on how to move forward. I am ok in VS AI games, but I don't want to go to pvp without knowing more. I see people in videos doing the jungle mobs and grouping up to fight, but that never happens in AI games. I have watched some how to play demo videos, but I am not sure they are up to date.

Any recommendations on how to proceed now? I am not looking to be the best player in the world, I just don't want to suck so much at pvp that I ruin other peoples games. Once I get the hang of pvp I am sure I will pick up the rest, but the difference between the pvp and AI games seems massive in scope. I just want to know enough so when I jump over to pvp games I can hold my own long enough to learn to get better. Should I just say f it and start pvp games?

Just start playing pvp. You're never going to get good enough that someone won't whine about you being a feeding noob.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

So he's a tanky sustained damage midlaner with a pretty cool initiation gimmick.

I bet people will take him top instead.

I was honestly a little confused by people talking about him like he's a mid because AP bruiser whose damage mostly revolves around standing near the enemy and existing seems like much more of a top laner to me.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Firebert posted:

He auto-pushes lane, has no reliable escapes and nothing in his kit that makes him tanky. I mean, anything can be played top, but he does not seem suited to a long lane.

I dunno, I guess it depends on how well his Q clears waves, because if he has to use his passive to clear waves mid he's just going to get poked down by ranged champs or killed by assassins since he doesn't have any innate sustain or tankiness.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I've got to say that I think the general LoL community gets too much poo poo for toxicity. I mean, I tried out my first game of Rammus top today and the enemy team ever so kindly locked in Kindred and Yasuo after I first picked.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Mr. Humalong posted:

I'd like to have a second champion to play when Volibear gets picked/banned but nothing I've tried has really seemed to click with me. I only play jungle and top and I prefer to play champs that are relatively to really tanky. Udyr feels like a strong choice, but he gets banned in about 85-90% of Bronze/Silver games. Same with Jax and Mundo. Anyone willing to toss out some ideas? Here's my op.gg if you want to look at all the champions I've tried and failed to play.

Sion is a good tank who is rarely contested. You can play him top or jungle, although he's better top.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

ROA is now not debatable on Singed

New ROA seems like it'll be really good on Swain too, assuming that they keep his gimmick of waddle into the enemy team and sustain while doing damage.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

So Rengar supp, but better because Sion has a real health pool

Funnily enough this isn't actually true because Sion has really crappy base HP growth to offset his hp stacking passive. He'd actually be surprisingly squishy on a supports budget.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Firebert posted:

Swain is going to be really good on 6.9 and is flying under people's radars atm

Radical posted:

yeah, the swain changes are all small but pretty meaningful

What actually changed about Swain? I figured he was going to be strong just due to the change to Catalyst/RoA.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Radical posted:

his passive mana and ult heal both got increased because of the preseason mana changes and wota removal, his Q is an aoe now that prioritizes targets with E on them and also lasts longer now and deals 100% bonus damage to creeps, the E gains the level 5 damage amp from level 1 now. pre-6 you can presumably use the q to clear waves (and i would imagine you don't want to max e over q now) so your 1-5 isn't as bad. his damage early game should overall be stronger and most of the new items are good on him.

So they took away his early game weaknesses and compensated him for nerfs to items he doesn't build while changing his big core item to be even better for his play style? I'm all aboard the Swain train then.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

SlyFrog posted:

It's kind of strange to me that the Elemental Dragon buffs are permanent, but the Elder Dragon buff is temporary.

Odd, I know, but I'd think that the "big bad" dragon buff would not be temporary if the lesser buffs are permanent.

I'm 100% convinced that the changes to dragon/rift herald/turrets make sense if you look at it in terms of how it affects the pro game and breaks up the scripted feeling of lane swaps in 90% of the pro games right now.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Supposedly Smite Vayne (lane or jungle) is the new hotness because Guinsoo's triggers both her W and the Bloodrazor on hit damage, giving her 21% max hp damage every two hits.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

I'll test this when I wake up. lol if true

Not sure if it's carrying over to live but it was on PBE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAMJ0QTQQRw

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

You could instead take a real summoner spell and build IE+PD or whatever instead and do even more damage to anyone who isn't sitting on several thousand health and a bunch of armor.

I can't say for sure if this is good or not, but let's not act like there hasn't been a meta where Red Smite + jungle item was so strong that laners were forgoing flash for smite. It wouldn't be :riot: if a jungle change didn't have unintended consequences for laners.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Triple fire dragon is actually insane. 24% AD/AP, 36% with elder is very noticeable.

Don't forget the 180 true damage over three seconds in that situation. Giving up multiple dragons early is going to be a bad idea unless you're getting huge trades for it or are absolutely sure you out scale the other team by a huge margin.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

JuniperCake posted:

Holy crap, All for one with the new Zyra is hilarious as hell. So many drat plants. I bet new malz would also be fun on this mode too if hes ever not banned.

I got Malz versus Blit in all for one and it was a lot of fun for a few levels being able to walk into hooks freely, but then it just got completely one sided and kind of sad.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I think you can max either first, but you can't rely on either for wave clear early. They both start with really long cooldowns that leave you really vulnerable against any lane with the slightest bit of aggression pre-6 unless you're under tower.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

golden bubble posted:

At least for this season, ADC has been dominated by champions that have a real one-item powerspike. But last season, there were actually good meta ADCs that started IE+Shiv. What happened? Was the ADC rework that much of a failure?

IE and Last Whisper got nerfed and you can make every laner a tank by building Sunfire/iceborne first two items.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Crystal Geometry posted:

Uhh no you see I am highly skilled and instead of building a qss like a coward I can build more damage now and snowball on these scrubs. Sit back and enjoy the carr-*gets oneshot by enemy midlane*

Just as likely: I have a QSS now I can play aggresively. *cleanses Thresh hook* *steps into front line, gets one shot by Leblanc*

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

exethan posted:

I was under the impression that malzahar was already completely dumpstered

He's the top win rate top and mid on champion.gg right now so I'm going to go with not dumpstered.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
The biggest argument against that being real is that it would involve making sure all of the characters and skins work as intended with it, which, with Riot's track record would just lead to more :riot:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Lulu is impossible to balance because she needs high base values to be viable as a support but that's exactly what makes her strong in a solo lane.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

I don't understand the big loving problem with lulu being a viable solo laner. Who the gently caress cares? She's hardly been an oppressive laner.

Eh she's pretty strong solo lane when she's strong but she's pretty boring so she doesn't pop up in solo queue a ton but is a priority pick in pro play when she's good.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
When she's strong in a solo lane she's an oppressive early game champ because she has good wave clear, great ranged harass from her auto attack, good gank assistance and is incredibly difficult to kill due to the utility and base values of her kit while you can toss her in the junk farm lane mid-late game and still have a great enabler for your carries due to the base utility of her kit. These strengths are easier for a coordinated team to utilize than your typical solo queue team can and Riot has shown a ton of willingness to balance around certain champs in pro play versus their solo queue strengths.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
New Ryze appears to currently be the worst performing champion in the game. I eagerly await the next patch or two buffing him plus people figuring out his new gimmick to sky rocket him into ascendancy and restart the roller coaster balancing act before Riot remakes him yet again next season.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Methanar posted:

lol what ryze is broken as gently caress

That may be so, which is why I specifically mentioned people are still learning his new gimmick, but right now he's sporting a sub 40% win rate mid and top.

Edit: I mean the scenario I described is basically what happened with Taliyah so it's not like there's no precedent for them to overdo buffs while people are still figuring champs out.

Action George fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 18, 2016

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

RIOT posted:

W - Brutal Strikes

BONUS ARMOR 10/15/20/25/30% ⇒ 15/20/35/30/35%

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
The most shocking thing about that list is that this might be the first time that solo queue all star Amumu isn't in the top 5.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Radical posted:

this is one of those things where riot buffs a champion (nunu) because hes bad in the current metagame while they have plans to change up the entire metagame in the next few patches and coincidentally the champion they buffed will be a major benefactor of the changes.

it has to be intentional right? they can't keep making the same mistake and not realizing it right?

Well if they follow the pattern from previous seasons Nunu will be overtaken by Warwick when they introduce a new on hit item that they didn't think to test in him because he's not supposed to build it.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Sexpansion posted:

e3:

I like this, strength of the ages was probably the best mastery in the tree but it was really boring.

I'm eagerly awaiting the hot fix that removes this mastery completely because DOT mages become unkillable after building a Rylai's due to the slow effect constantly refreshing the shield.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

stump collector posted:

riot has historically thought their preseason changes are always good and fine and also incorrectly attribute that the champs taking advantage of their changes are too strong, therefore you have champs ruined for years at a time

keven knows all

I'm still amazed that we haven't seen Warwick mysteriously become op with the introduction of a new on hit jungle item. I expect they'll patch in a plant that provides a true damage on hit buff to rectify this.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

There never has been nor will there ever be a time when Amumu is not the correct answer to this question.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Amumu doesn't do all that great in high ranked games. Doesn't he basically never get picked in pro games?

Pretty much everywhere else Amumu is so good. I really doubt he'll ever get nerfed and when it comes to solo queue his engage is a big ol' WE'RE FIGHTING NOW YOU DUMB FUCKS beacon.

Amumu actually was played pretty effective in one or two LCK games this year when a team used their pick/ban phase to actually build a targeted team comp. But generally yes, if you're queuing up with literal profesional LoL players then he's not a good champ and you're also not going to be asking the original question.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
If you play enough games on Sion you can become an idiot savant at him like me and start solo killing everyone in lane.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Teikanmi posted:

Also play solo queue, flex queue is dumb

No way, flex queue is giving me bonus IP and for some reason matching me against bronve V people that I can style on even though I only play flex when I'm drunk as poo poo. Flex queue is awesome.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Being a OTP doesn't necessarily require playing a billion games of a champ to learn them inside and out - sometimes a champ just clicks for you. You could probably call me a Sion one trick- I had a75% win rate with him in ranked but no other champ with > 50% - but he only accounts for about a third of my ranked games and none of my normals. For some reason I just understand Sion on a level that I don't for any other champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

kingcobweb posted:

That's not what having one trick means

You have other tricks

I don't think losing counts as a trick but yeah, phone posting so my language is imprecise. Just saying you can be absurdly better at one champ for reasons outside of literally only playing it.

• Locked thread