Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
My impression was that SnapMap is going to be released first, and that they would eventually release a full on sdk thing, or just tell people what needs to be done to make your own sdk (sort of along the lines of how early Doom 1 modding actually happened)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keiya posted:

You know what one feature from Doom 1/2 I really, really hope comes back? The loving automap. Why don't games have that anymore :(

Because actual 3D levels with room over room make mapping hell

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keiya posted:

Maybe - bear with me here - this means you should avoid putting rooms over other rooms? Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to.

It's really quite stupid to avoid making a normal building just because it would make an automap harder to implement. Might as well demand all walls and ceilings/floors make exactly 90 degree angles from each other because it's easier to render.

Tiggum posted:

If they used common sense and realistic architecture, multi-floor maps wouldn't be a problem. I'm guessing you've probably even used them yourself to find something in a multi-storey shopping centre? Having multiple floors doesn't make it impossible to make a useful map, the problem is video game architecture that makes no sense.

Multi floor malls don't tend to be all that complex inside, a your typical one the building is just 3 or 4 main hallways per floor, or maybe a loop for one part.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keiya posted:

How many buildings have you been in where you have to go up two floors around a curve, a detour to open a locked door, then down the elevator three floors then up some stairs to get to the other side of a wall? I'm willing to bet the answer is nearly zero, humans think in 2d most of the time.

Some highly secure buildings MIGHT be laid out like that, but even that's pretty unlikely.

That nearly describes one of the classroom buildings on my old college campus, place was a bastard to get around.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keiya posted:

Yeah that's the other reason I had to say 'nearly'. You get buildings that have had wings added a dozen times, all of them designed by 'artistic' architects, and you end up with a clusterfuck. But that's kind of the opposite of good architecture so?

And which sort of building is a game set in a partially hell-transformed world going to have more of? The plain jane regular floor design building, or something that's all hosed up and weird inside?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keiya posted:

hosed up weird ones. Which is why the automap is important, a building that the player can't navigate in is a bad thing but you want the architecture to be a bit weird. So you give them tools to navigate.

And the problem is, it's hard to implement a good automap when you've got the weird architecture that most needs an automap, once it's no longer 1993/1994 where everything is on a single level, as far as the level design goes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Well the Doom books were written by a weird mormon guy who got heavy into mormon stuff in the later books.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rikimaru posted:

Was there ever a story about this other Doom dude on the left?

He's your co-op mode pal.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JerryLee posted:

There are a very few cases of old wads that won't play properly in newer engines because they don't preserve some specific functionality. In particular, I believe UAC_DEAD.WAD broke in newer versions of doom.exe because the functionality of Tag 666 changed subtly at some point. Although ironically, the break happened in later versions of the vanilla executables, so it's not a source port fuckup. It may even be that source ports have restored that functionality, but I don't know since I haven't played that wad in like a decade.

Yeah ZDoom/GZDoom and PRBoom+ both have options you can set to fix UAC_DEAD

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mung Dynasty posted:

I honestly don't feel like Doom II's Ultraviolence is very well balanced, and this exact level is why. gently caress it.

Ultraviolence isn't supposed to be balanced, it was supposed to be for experts only. And Nightmare is just utterly unfair. Turns out after people play the game for 10 years striaght or whatever though, what's supposed to be experts only becomes their new normal.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

My cousin's handle online is "toast" and we both love to play Doom to this day, I was kinda surprised when those pictures surfaced that it wasn't him.

He even loves to make weird gadgets like that.

Ah, lame. But there's any number of crazy doom projects that are 100% real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLn-vnbrPXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s15eJ9WMfVg

Course Quake is even better since its full 3D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQaKv2eYOuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMli33ornEU

The nspire CX one isn't that impressive - that calculator has a 320x240 16 bit color screen, 100 megabytes of user storage, 64 MB of RAM and a 132 mhz ARM CPU, much like an older smartphone would have. You don't even need to come up with any creative hacks to get around limitations, it's straight up more powerful all around with a lot more RAM and about the same storage as a target computer from Doom's launch.

Those calcs ain't shipping with a z80 like the 82/83/84/85 or a 68000 like the 89/92/Voyage 200.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's weird how people forget that a lot of the hype about original Doom in 93/94 was that it was so edgy and gory and bloody. The whole gibbing mechanic and the like was there.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pomp posted:

is it confirmed that there's not going to be any sort of movement than running around?

As in?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pomp posted:

ways to go fast, or quickly change trajectory. doom didn't have them, but doom also has you running at the speed of sound. Jumping looks like the hella slow floaty halo jumps, and the run still looks too slow to create a high skill cap in multiplayer. Single player looks like it might be fun, but the slow movement makes it look like demon halo rather than doom, let alone quake. :(

You can probably do rocket-jumps and boosts, unless they specifically special-cased physics-stuff to prevent it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

khwarezm posted:

Nobody should ever have to write that many words for the plot of a doom game.

I think it's actually the same length as the full Doom story across the in game text and the manual.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

khwarezm posted:

I guess I might have been playing to many WADs over the last few years, I barely ever touch the vanilla game anymore.

You have to remember that the original IWADs were built around the idea that they'd be enjoyable and beatable on a number of different control formats - from keyboard only, to those gameport gamepads that only a d-pad and 2 buttons, to flight sim type sticks, to mouse and keyboard but only horizontal aiming. It makes them more amenable to different control schemes then WADs designed 20 years on for people who are top-tier players on mouse and keyboard with complete freelook.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Original DOOM and DOOM II was built to be equally playable with keyboard only, early PC joysticks and gamepads, and mouse support was restricted, especially as so many people at the time didn't have a mouse yet.

Full on mouse play wouldn't be in there until Quake really, even though later source ports and players are all about the mouse now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Wait what

I thought retard 4 was just a meme here

Where did it come from?

It's also a meme on GameFAQs, which is the actual link he posted.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gobblecoque posted:

Huh, this post finally inspired me to play Doom 64 (which is kinda weird that I haven't before since I've always been a fan of the N64 and old shooters). I guess I always assumed it was kinda like other ports like Duke 64 which wasn't really very different in any interesting and meaningful ways. This is pretty fuckin sweet though and is nothing like PC Doom.

The Quake II console ports were kind of a middle ground between normal ports and Doom 64 totally new games - they had significantly changed level struture, and not just the simplifications to run ok on the hardware that most Doom ports did.

So, worth checking out in emulation.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The PS1 game's soundtrack really suits the game as well. The skyboxes in the game are much better too, especially in the Hell levels where it's just a massive towering inferno of fire in the sky.

It's a shame they kept the heavily cut down Jaguar maps for the Doom 1 section of PS1 Doom, including excluding like a third of the maps entirely. Especially since the Doom II section showed that the PS1 could easily handle nearly full-on Doom levels.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

widespread posted:

Gotta save that Ultra Violent for the main release yo. :v:

Even though UV should have been shown since, well, isn't that what everyone plays on in any Doom-ish game?

Only because Doom has been around for 23 goddamn years. People weren't playing UV so much when it was new

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Al-Saqr posted:

maybe it's because doom 1 & 2 came out in 1993-94 when people mostly had VGA graphics while Duke Nukem came out in 1996 when 3D actually started gaining traction?

Also, the only "realistic" parts the Doom team was ever interested in was having a "realistic" future-sci-fi-base thing and then onlyduring early development under the original Doom Bible ideas. And that would only stay "realistic" at all for the first episode or so of the original 5 or 6 planned, because you'd quickly get all the hell influence.

They probably could have designed areas as realistic as Duke 3D levels if they really wanted to, but that was just completely out of the setting they were using.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Keiya posted:

Sure, but those were total rewrites of the engine, more comparable to Doom 3 and 4 than Doom 2 and Final Doom.

Japanese SMB2, on the other hand, now that is Doom 2 comparable.

Didn't humanity go all but extinct after 2? And he stayed in Hell after 64?

The official story of Doom 2 is that you enabled a significant portion of Earth's population to escape to another planet by like a third of the way through the game.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'm glad there's no reloading.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Another question: was there ever any mod made that re-created the music, levels and sound effects of the psx ports? Those games were atmospheric as gently caress.

Here's the PSX DOOM total conversion thread, which has links and isntructions on downloading all the stuff: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/57957-psx-doom-final-doom-tc-version-2-135-now-released/

It's like 99.99% accurate to the PSX original, although of course you can still use mouselook. You will need to be running GZDoom to play it properly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tony Montana posted:

Ok.. I guess. Why would it be an achievement if you're just doing the same poo poo every single other player does?

I don't know if you've ever checked those things where people examine who completes achievements, but a shockingly large amount of people who play their games never get to the first achievement on Steam/the 360/whatever, despite owning the game and even playing it a little. And forget things like just plain "complete the main story/campaign with no special conditions", for many games the rate of getting those achievements is under 50%:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/17/gdc-most-players-donat-finish-games

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Original Doom is about 3-4 hours to get through all 4 episodes, after you get decent at it, or if you learned quickly during your first time through.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

widespread posted:

Here:

Basically I SHOULD have said "Multiplayer Doom wasn't all that popular until after Quake". Memory's a fuzzy-as-gently caress thing sometimes. But point still stands, Doom doesn't really need MP, but it's here anyways,

Er, Doom multiplayer was so popular that it was taking down workplace and university networks within weeks of the first version with multiplayer available.

Yeah kids weren't playing it multiplayer unless their parents were rich, because of the problem with ya know, affording a modem and havign friends with modems and poo poo. But it was wildly popular.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ramsus posted:

Just a reminder that the best doom was Final Doom on playstation because it had the creepy music that made the game scary instead of corny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85npx14HUI

Don't you mean regular Doom for the PSX? Which had the same music, only more of it, and like 3 times the levels?

Morter posted:

How much did you pay for Doom 1 and 2?

If you bought them full price in the old days? $44.95 for Doom II, $40 for Doom (not Ultimate Doom with the 4th episode).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

widespread posted:

Speaking of, why would they be an option if I've just a 750Ti? I mean, it's not like I can actually see these MegaTextures. Maybe do an R6:S and have MegaTextures be a separate download.

You're seeing them constantly, megatextures are how the game maps are built. It doesn't just mean high res standard textures!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ludicro posted:

I'm really hoping this game sells really well so they'll make a new Quake title.

Yeah but which Quake? A new one in the style of Quake 1? A new one in the style of Quake II or 4? A new one in the style of Quake III?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I agree with the people who say Quake 1 style but adding on one of the worlds/dimensions/timelines(?) being strogg-infested would be the best way to make a new Quake game.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

thebushcommander posted:

Pretty sure id has made an entirely new game engine for every game they have ever made which i am guessing is the majority of the development time.

No. Doom and Doom II and Final Doom were all the same engine. Quake was a new engine, but Quake II engine was largely composed of stuff from Quake, and Quake III was the same way, largely stuff from Quake II. Also Wolf 3D and Spear of Destiny were the same engine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I feel like because SnapMap is shared between console and PC you can't really make full fledged single player maps on PC since it has to be able to run on the Xbox 1 :sigh: I really hope they do single player expansions for this game. It's just so good. I honestly cannot go back and play other single player campaigns of other shooters. Enemies feel boring and I feel like I'm stuck in cement whenever I do

The PS4 is just as limiting, dude.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So I went to a Redbox to rent the game for my console to see if it's any good on there and by the end of the first mission I had already decided to buy it. And when I get a new computer at the end of the year I'm buying it again on steam. Too good.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Morter posted:

All this talk about the suit being reverse-engineered is something I don't agree with now that I take a quick glance over the Doom Marine codex.

In particular, they say they only did tolerance tests with it, but it couldn't be "activated" without the Doom Marine. Also, in the second entry, the picture is clearly of Doomguy in the exact same suit (as opposed to an older suit that was later 'modernized'), so whatever you're wearing is the last thing he wore before he entombed, for sure. Nothing UAC related.

The Praetor Suit is from the alternate universe UAC that the Doom Guy came from (in Doom 1, 2 and 64), upgraded with hellish powers during his millenia killing demons.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Isn't Doom 64 an alternate sequel to snes doom and not doom 2 (which didn't happen for nintendo)

No, as Doom SNES is just an abbreviated version of Doom 1.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bishop posted:

Ummmmm, what page of this thread has actual gameplay reviews on it.

I want the original doom but with modern graphics. Going from 0-30 mph instantly, endless demons, etc. I've heard this game does it pretty well?

I played a rental for an hour and imeediately returned it to buy it outright. It's real good, and that's on a console. It'll be so much better on PC

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ImpAtom posted:

It's been done already. :colbert:

the OFFICIAL DOOM NOVELS feature a sequel where the Doomguy returns to Doom (perhaps, as you say, in a NG+) and rather tha killing demons he converts them to Christianity where they become his friends.

This is a mechanic that Doom 5 needs to borrow I feel.

Baptismal Font Gun 9000

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kramjacks posted:

And then "gamers" becomes retards.

And then John was a zombie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

A.o.D. posted:

Enemies do seem to die faster to me in Snapmap, not only that, but they don't seem as smart, either.

What difficulty do you usually play single player in? I think the enemies as default in snapmap are set to lower health and lower ability to damage the player then you see in most singleplayer difficulty levels.