Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PostNouveau posted:

"Free climbing is much quicker and less tiring. OSHA regulations allow for free climbing"

OKAYYYYYY, whatever you say man. I guess if clipping in would slow you down, why bother?

I mean, I wouldn't be too surprised if free-climbing those ladder sections was actually safer than laboriously migrating your harness clips up continuously as you go. Three points of contact and away you go, and fatigue causing you to make a mistake is also something you want to avoid.

The real :stare: bit is not clipping on when precariously navigating the uneven sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It wasn't anything to do with hydraulic pressure - if you look at the second angle, you can see that the cable holding things up appears to be no longer attached to the thing it's supposed to be attached to.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Stonelegs posted:

I saw a crane that was drilling helical piles get caught up, twist, and smack into the ground. If it would have gone left instead of right,

So I suppose it's just a coincidence that those ten people were all standing on the same side of the machine, and no-one was on the other side?

Nothing to do with the fact that the motor is always turning the same direction, so you already know which way the machine is going to want to move if the screw gets caught up?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yeah, the concept of being locked in a tiny box that only gets opened up to toss food in is absolutely terrifying.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zero One posted:

Taken from the train thread:

Do you have any other plans for what to do with your piles of slag?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mithaldu posted:

I'm not entirely confident that would have saved his life.

Depends on what caused him to fall.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Colonel Cancer posted:

I didn't know hardhats protect from gravity...

They definitely work to prevent you hitting your head on something and staggering away from it, and those sort of head hits are what they're protecting you from on most worksites.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

EKDS5k posted:

Isn't UV damage cumulative over your life?

All the skin cells currently on the outside of your body will be gone entirely a month from now.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I love channel names like that, you know exactly what you're getting.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I was going to make a comment about how most people here don't need to "imagine" what a vagina looks like, but we're talking about goons so...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Did they have a solution for emptying the bigger container, or is than osha-all-the-way-down situation?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You'd think a basic safety procedure would be to have some sort of load attached to it, so that if it starts to run away you can channel that torque into something that isn't "accelerate beyond rated speed".

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

zedprime posted:

I'm not sure a runaway diesel is a solvable problem because you are either going to put too high of a hurdle to get it going in the first place with too much load, or else you just have a smaller load that is now accelerating beyond rated speed. And you can't really shift a transmission to have the choice of both because its running away.

I mean, you can have a variable load easily enough. Just hook it up to a generator, which will spin freely until you connect the outputs and make it start actually pumping electrons. As for something to do with all that load, I guess you could try boiling the ocean or something?

It seems like the biggest issue that would cause a hot-bulb engine to run away is that the faster it's going, the more lubricant it's actually burning. So if you keep the speed low it's much more controllable.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

tater_salad posted:

Agreed, if I was dealing with 750v I'd be sure to make sure I"m using a tester that wont blow up in my face, and was worth some money.
If the fuse is rated at 250v how can they safely say that the meter is good for 750v? I'd think that UL or similar would have an issue with that, yes it's not DESGINED to be used in that mode when measuring voltage, but it can easily happen.

Yes, yes they would. Which is why such meters don't have any sort of official certification whatsoever (they closest they get is a "China Export" mark that looks suspiciously similar-yet-not-quite-the-same-as a euro CE mark).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hyperlynx posted:

Genocide away! What could possibly go wrong?

It's all well and good unless you happen to be a dwarf.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Lone Badger posted:

Why was he using an axe anyway?

He's not actually chopping the tree with an axe...

The normal way you fell a tree is by cutting out a v-shape on the side you want it to fall towards, then you cut out a slot on the reverse side, and then you hammer some wedges into the slot to tip the tree over.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"It's easier this way guv, we don't have to haul the barrels up so high"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

flosofl posted:

Yeah, I'm curious as to what lead to the decision to put the center of gravity ABOVE the blades instead of hanging it below, which is far more stable.

Is it actually more stable? You might be subscribing to the pendulum-rocket-fallacy here.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elsa posted:

I guess I don't understand how you could have low air pressure and a lack of brakes at the same time. I've never run into that situation.

I remember a few train stories where the train driver let off the brakes, and was then unable to re-apply them because the air pressure in the braking system hadn't built back up yet.

I always thought that it was a poorly designed system, and it seems like train designers agreed with me because more modern trains have two air lines, one for actually triggering the brakes and a second line that's always pressurized to keep the brakes charged.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There used to be one near me, though I think even if you left the brakes off the entire time you wouldn't ever actually come off the track.

No, the real problem was running at high speed into the back of someone who'd been too heavy on the brakes and gotten completely stalled.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Once you get a large enough voltage, you can get electrons to jump through the vacuum from one electrode to the other. That's not really conductance, though.

What's more interesting is what happens once you get past the Schwinger limit. Essentially the electric field becomes large enough to spontaneously create electron/positron pairs, which act as charge carriers across the gap. Theoretically, of course.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The typical way to demonstrate it is to cover up the diffuse edge of the shadow with your finger or something similar.

But as soon as you take your finger away, they start looking different again.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Phanatic posted:

There are, however, a number of people who have experienced visual sensitivity to ultraviolet wavelengths following cataract surgery which removes the natural lens, and it apparently looks like a deep, saturated purple. Which is neat, but it's not a new color.

http://www.komar.org/faq/colorado-cataract-surgery-crystalens/ultra-violet-color-glow/

You could say that it's like violet, but enhanced in some fashion.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Another way of looking at it is that 1 atmosphere is the difference between sea level, and hard vacuum.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

sandoz posted:

There was never supposed to be one, why is this hard to grasp?

Actually, the problem in this case was the cable being too easy to grasp.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mostlygray posted:

I think it's more that the implementation of roundabouts in Minnesota is lovely. Poor signage, etc. There are a bunch of roundabouts under Hwy 169 where the main route on W 78th is very poorly labeled. The road jogs around a lot and the signs are all for roads that don't go where any human being would want to go. They're also used to slow traffic instead of being useful. I understand them when 7 roads meet, but these are 4 way interchanges. A stop sign works fine.

And yet you think you have a good sense of direction despite being unable to figure out what direction you're going after heading north into a roundabout and then making a left turn.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sagebrush posted:

I get that motors are optimized for different things, but an entire order of magnitude is ridiculous. What has happened in the last 10 years to make motors so much more powerful?

Neodymium.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sounds like homicide.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Huh, that's both water rides at Dreamworld being closed down in the same year.

They always seemed a bit out of place honestly, what with having an entirely separate water park right next door.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Someone spent actual effort transforming this from a properly-recorded landscape video, into a portrait video that has borders on all four sides when you watch it. It's very mysterious.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Maybe the solution is to colour code the connectors, or something.

They almost certainly are colour-coded. Colour-coding doesn't prevent people from making mistakes, especially when they're at the end of a 48-hour shift or whatever they have medical residents doing these days.

The solution is to make it physically impossible to connect the wrong ones and have stuff start flowing. That's a few cents more expensive per-unit though, which is why it doesn't happen.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

elise the great posted:

So the biggest issue to me in hospitals is that for each critical pt there are hundreds of possible ports of access, and making mutually incompatible ports for each of them is very difficult. You aren't talking about two tanks that shouldn't be hooked up to each other, you're talking about an entire room full of poo poo that doesn't go together but could maybe be forced if you tried...

You can't really do it with connector size alone, you have to use interlocking connectors that don't allow flow unless they're correctly attached.

For example, the connector on the BP cuff can be keyed, so even if you do somehow attach the air compressor to an IV line, it doesn't do anything since the IV line isn't keyed to look like a BP cuff.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

cyberbug posted:

The record for a simulated dive is 71 atm. Main problem is finding a gas you can breath at those pressures. They used hydrogen and helium with a tiny bit of oxygen so it's not explosive. Even a tiny bit gives more than enough partial pressure when you're that deep.

If someone opened the door accidentally, "instant human souffle" would probably be the best description as all the dissolved gases in the body's water content would bubble out at once.

It's not really even explosivity that's the problem - practically everything you'd want to breathe becomes toxic or has other detrimental effects at high pressures.

Oxygen, of course, loves to reach with everything, and will mess up your lungs something fierce if it's too concentrated for them to handle. It'll also mess up your eyes and other mucous membranes too. Oh, and killing off all sorts of other important stuff like "red blood cells" and "your central nervous system". So if you want to go to high pressures, you want to cut down the oxygen concentration so that once you're at depth, it's back down to safe levels. So what can you use to bulk out your breathing gas that's not going to poison you?

Nitrogen's a good starting point, right? I mean it's already most of the atmosphere and it's pretty inert. Except that it dissolves in your bloodstream and acts as a narcotic - starts with feeling a little drunk, ends up with serious hallucinations, unconsciousness, or straight-up death. So then you start using a trimix with helium, which gets you a bit further - until you start getting helium tremors due to it messing with your nervous system. That's where the hydrogen comes in I guess, except that hydrogen is pretty hallucinogenic.

Really, fluid breathing is probably a better plan. It has its own complications of course, but having an incompressible fluid providing oxygen solves a whole bunch of partial-pressure issues.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Applebee123 posted:

One thing I dont get about that gif is if the pressure is so intense why doesn't it bend that spinning blade? The blade looks fairly thin, is it just made of diamond or something?

There's nothing pushing against the sides of the blade (or rather, it's pushing the same amount on both sides). The pressure differential is from the outside of that red pipe to the inside, which is why the crab gets sucked through that tiny hole.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The 11'8 bridge is actually problematic for that, because trucks still need access to the side road immediately in front of it. You don't know for sure an approaching truck is going to be an idiot and try and drive under the bridge, so you have to do non-disruptive stuff like a stonking great TRUCKS MUST TURN sign that flashes when a truck is approaching.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Buttcoin purse posted:

I didn't see anyone say what's wrong with the water stop sign though. I think I'd have a hard time missing it no matter how distracted I was, but my guess is that it probably costs a bunch and still doesn't help because people are just too stupid and the only real solution is natural selection? To be fair, I'm not sure what I'd do if a massive stop sign suddenly materialized in front of me, though. I think it might freak me out a bit. On the other hand, if I was a truck driver with 30 years of experience I'd probably not even blink an eye :v:

Jabor posted:

The 11'8 bridge is actually problematic for that, because trucks still need access to the side road immediately in front of it. You don't know for sure an approaching truck is going to be an idiot and try and drive under the bridge, so you have to do non-disruptive stuff like a stonking great TRUCKS MUST TURN sign that flashes when a truck is approaching.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly a straight vertical drop on a waterslide seems like an even worse idea than a loop.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

zedprime posted:

Well you can overengineer anything to nearly any risk percent as you want, and I don't mean just fudging the numbers. For example with road underpasses going underneath existing infrastructure, you can fill it in and make the road an overpass because rail cargo has fairly specific height.

The obvious drawback with idiot proofing anything is cash money. But the comical underpass example is a often used example in administrative vs engineering solutions. Signage is an administrative solution and subject to misinterpretation due to missing it, being terminally dumb, etc. Replacing the underpass with an overpass that allows all road and rail traffic through without any danger is possible and expensive.

Really it just all comes down to money. There's not really any risk to life, can-opening a truck just costs a bit of money to repair things.

So sure, you could build an overpass instead. Is it actually worthwhile (compared with just adding more signage) to save $X/year in damage?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

bend posted:

honestly the easiest solution is to build up the road and make it a flat crossing, not an overpass. Admittedly that probably brings in all sorts of traffic control and timing issues, and costs more than dragging trucks out from under the bridge and fining the idiot driving though, but it is more or less a one off cost if you were really determined to solve it.
I'd guess that it's been considered and rejected for one reason or another though.

Now instead of idiots driving trucks under the bridge and causing a little bit of easily-fixed property damage, you have idiots driving across the tracks and getting people killed.

Replacing a grade-separated crossing with an at-grade one is literally going backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

tactlessbastard posted:

Counterpoint: they deserve it.

The children in the back seat really don't.