Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

Gonna link my guides for the new thread:

General tips for getting better:
How to Practice Hit Confirming
How to Practice Buffering
How to Improve Your Reactions Using Training Mode
Easy but powerful option select

Guides for fighting against specific characters:
R. Mika
Nash
Rashid

More coming soon!

I just wanted to say that these have been very helpful! Both for helping me to brush up and to link to pals who are new and could use some basic advice that can really help them at their level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Quick aside from shop:

How is the netcode and all that stuff on the PC version? I keep buying fighting games on Steam and getting burned by the online experience. You'd think I'd learn my lesson, but I have too much of this human disease called "hope"

It works fine as long as you set a filter to only get matched with opponents with good ping, and crossplay with ps4 players has no problems outside of the ps4 version having slightly longer load times so unlike other pc fighting games you don't have to worry about it becoming a wasteland.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I haven't played a fighter game more than super casually since Street Fighter II was big in arcades and on SNES. I am very very very bad at these games. If I buy this and lose enough times, can I reasonably expect to eventually find opponents equally as bad? I have a PS4 controller that I use for both my PS4 and my PC. Does one system have an advantage over the other?

The crossplay really adds to the size of the player pool, so it's your best option for the genre if you want to fight other bads

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

It's highly unlikely I would every be matched up with anyone outside of Japan because of my lovely ping back to the US right? I imagine fighting games are pretty sensitive to connection speeds.

As long as you make sure to set your connection rating before queuing, yeah.

If you keep it as "any" you could get matched with anyone anywhere in the world

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

man nurse posted:

I mean the bad news is that now that I've exhausted the story stuff and most of the do-able survival runs, all that's leftover is the 50 you get per online win. Not counting whatever challenge mode and the story proper will give you, but. I figure unlocking half of the season pass characters and shelling out for the remaining three is a bit more agreeable than plunking down $30.

iirc they also mentioned something about daily missions or something along those lines? So yet another source of fight money.

It's really weird how easy they're making it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zand posted:

drat they had 10 months to fix this game but actually instead made it worse in that time. lmao...

if a game series that hasnt had a good entry for the last 2 decades isnt worthy of ridicule then what is?

plus i only got like 15 posts in this 60 page thread so chill. if these monster posts actually zing that hard you need a break from computer.

If you think that a game series has been complete garbage for that long then why would you even bother past a certain point, outside of some weird brokebrains obsession

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

cams posted:

i am legit curious what your problems with it are. i think the point system does a good job into settling you into a rank you should be at. if your problem is that it doesn't actually reliably match you against players of your same skill level, that's valid, but it's not really what the system is trying to do outright.

i've started only looking for 5 bar matchups and matchmaking has been amazing for me for a while now. i get matched up with players with more points and players with less points, but the system accounts for that by incentivizing lower ranked players to beat higher ranked ones.

This is complete conjecture on my part but it feels to me like there's a MMR system in addition to the point system? Sorta like how Starcraft 2 worked with its ladders in that there was the clear and visible portion and the hidden portion.

That said since differences in leagues change the risk/reward for the players I'm fine with how it currently works. At most maybe they could tinker the exact gains/losses in certain situations a little.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Eh, I'm not so sure about that one. Without actually having access to the data, I think it's reasonable to imagine that the very top tier of players need to be matched up with people that they will beat 9/10 times in order to get matches at a decent clip. Without being matched up with the same single other top player who happened to be online.

Matchmaking may not be so hot but I wouldn't use that as criteria without more evidence

It's a problem that every competitive game sees at the extreme ends of the ladder and it all boils down to the developer in question having to find the right balance between getting fair matches vs actually getting to play a match in a reasonable amount of time.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

SF3 followed literally the exact same arc as SF4 - called garbage by everyone for its entire life, but then when the next game comes out, looked back upon wistfully as The Good Old Days.

Thanks to this thread I have learned that there's literally no such thing as a playable fighting game

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Could be that people are upset not only that this game Isn't For Them but also that it's the one that people are going to be playing, so if they want to play actual people they have to play games they don't like

:O

The Games subforum would be greatly improved if people were to avoid playing games they don't like, I feel.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

yes its totally inescapable

im sure when Revelator comes out it will add in a special feature where you have to watch a set of SF5 before you can play a match

maybe its "inescapable" because you cant help but click the thread that says "Street Fighter V" and then bitch incessantly about it

As someone who only got into the genre relatively recently I wanna know

Did people act like Street Fighter IV would erase literally all other fighting games forever back when it came out, as well?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SectumSempra posted:

oddly i'm in camp dissatisfied with the game, but not because of technical things, but mostly being shipped an unfinished game.

I'm cool with whats here from a technical point and will always play multiple games, but I really wish there were meat, 3 person lobbies and juri.

I think what will be cool going forward is how it's possible to take a break for a few months and come back to new content

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I love the titles because most of them have that clunkily translated f2p Korean mmo feel to how they're phrased

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

What do you guys think the player base is going to be like? I know that sales weren't outstanding but do you think the different additions will pick things back up? Do we know how the active population compares to its competitors? I've still got so much to learn and I don't want all the other casuals to abandon the game too early.

Even without Street Fighter's popularity the cross platform play will give it a huge advantage over other games wrt player pool size

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

teagone posted:

You're right, continue the parade of bitching because it'll surely fix the problem if you do it a thousand times.. Everything works fine on my end, mostly. The one issue I've been having is a weird FPS dip on the win/lose/celebration screen and during Gief's super animation.

I have a decent enough rig that I don't get any FPS drops on the former but it has a noticeable dip with the latter.

Geif's super is too powerful to be contained by just any ol video card

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Memes, are good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Would you rather:

Listen to 1,000 memes
-or-
Hear Laura say any one of her lines

I'll have Laura say 1000 memes, tia

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Koldenblue posted:

So how long do people think it'll be before this goes on sale? Did SFIV, or Capcom's games in general, take a long time to go on sale? I hear at least they're only ever going to release a single physical version of this, and then all future content is just downloaded, thank god.

I'm really only a casual fighting game fan who's actually interested in arcade / offline modes and such, so no way I can justify spending full price on what is apparently a half finished game.

If you're looking at the PC version then it will be sooner rather than later since PC game prices are in a funky place right now that really benefits the user if you buy from sites outside of Steam

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Dragon's Dogemas also is pure win, but won't have any sequels and didn't make any money

For what it's worth Capcom has straight up said that the PC port they put out recently has been their best selling PC port to date

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

bhsman posted:

Is GMG still doing their 1/3 off thing? I assumed that ended with release, but maybe not.

Not quite that much right now but they currently have a 23% off coupon on their main page that might be eligible.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Double Bill posted:

They probably meant fastest selling, as I think most of these are technically ports: http://steamspy.com/dev/Capcom

Of course it'll get bumped up as it goes on sale, but probably not enough to triple the sales.

Ah yeah that could be it

Either way it sounded like it went way past their expectations so that's cool

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Golem II posted:

When does the new update come out?

I'm betting it will be sometime next week, since it's fair to assume that they wouldn't push out a patch before the big tournament this weekend ends.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

Will every character have a story mode that pays out stupid fight money so I could get another boost while Alex is free

From the way they worded it, it sounds likely

quote:

The second drop will take place on March 30 (WED) at 10AM PT and contains the following content:

Alex + related character story content

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

challenges are a great opportunity to learn what characters can do for new players that don't know how to lab it all out.

Yeah this.

It's not such a bad thing to have a guide to show people what the first step is.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

of course a bunch of you already made the choice to support this pile of loving poo poo game despite being warned, again and again, ahead of time

so, thank you for more bad games

I voted with my wallet, and am glad I did

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SectumSempra posted:

Has sf4 had any huge NEGATIVE impact on any of the humongous amount of fighters that came between vanilla sf4 and sf5?

I'd personally say no. If anything, other games have had a negative impact on sf5 lol.

-lovely rollback is capcoms attempt at whoever had good rollback netcode (?) also this is bad but it isn't literally kof 13 unplayable so I can see the hyperbole there
-Monetizing is from the free to play and poo poo happening, dlc fighters worked out super well for MK and I'm guessing Ki's model seemed like something they could slap on after seeing KI.
Like it sounds dandy because 'lolz i can earn my dlc' but after seeing the game, it feels like we're just continuing to fund a game that was rushed out because capcom sniffed sony dollars. we can't change it though
-the miscellaneous glitches and missing normals etc is also due to the whiff of Sony money
-the only challenege mode in fg history I've completed for every character?
-Input lag, rush, rushed and un-optimized game.
-Shittier designs on some characters than others, rushed design.
-Other poo poo ~rushed game

This combined with Capcom trying to bring itself to MK levels of organization is likely whats causing this.

While its totally interesting to discuss, theres a clear distinction between just memeing and poo poo posting vs discussion,
also note, i really love both, so :shrug: get on with it and move on. This thread is slow as poo poo for a newer game anyhow.

It's a really weird view because you don't see that sort of bitching in other genres

Nobody is bitching about how Call of Duty is ruining FPS games for everyone, because if they did they'd (correctly) be called a crazy person.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pomp posted:

CoD and Halo's success are exactly to blame for shooters becoming slow and boring actually.

Naw

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Despite some companies chasing that CoD money there are still interesting shooters being made

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

The only shooters within the last several years that I would call "interesting" are Vanquish and SUPERHOT. Everything else just blends together for me

Overwatch is legit cool and it's gonna be huge.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Overwatch is wannabe TF2. It's okay if you like that kind of thing, but "huge" strikes me as... optimistic.

It has a lot different from TF2, and it's a Blizzard game so it's gonna have a big audience

And most importantly, it's designed from the ground up to be played seriously instead of sitting around idling for hats

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

honestly, tf2 isn't the worst thing in the world for blizzard to "blizzard"

My favorite thing about that mess is that TF2 started development on a competitive mode after Overwatch was announced.

Roughly 6 or 7 years too late, there.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

TF2 was too, then after a few class updates they decided to use TF2 as their testing ground to see if they could make more billions of dollars doing absolutely nothing.

They never, ever attempted any sort of competitive mode until very recently and even then it's only because of Overwatch.

Overwatch meanwhile is all about finding matches and getting games done instead of joking around.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

TF2's biggest failing is that the competitive matches bear no resemblance to the game that most people play.

It's definitely no coincidence that the biggest competitive PC games right now play by very close if not exact rules between pro and pub levels.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My favorite thing about Overwatch matches overall tho is that matches end far, far, far soon than TF2 matches. No endless stalemates that drag on forever, and thank god for that.

teagone posted:

I don't think Overwatch will pull in the number of viewers Counter-Strike does. That'd be cool if it did, because I'm really looking forward to the game and want it to be popular. But I've watched a handful of competitive Overwatch tourneys and they were just ok. They weren't like super fun to watch, but I guess maybe that's because I haven't actually had a chance to play it. Counter-Strike though... almost a decade and half later and I'm still watching pro matches. I wish I could play CS as much as I did when I was younger. Being an adult sucks sometimes. I just want to play muh videogamez. :smith:

I don't think any shooter is gonna be able to replicate CS:GO's success anytime soon. It had a very unusual surge in popularity at some point down the line after an okay launch and it just exploded and kept growing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I wonder if fighting games will ever get to the stupidly large prize pools mobas get

It seems like a huge missed opportunity that no fighting games copy the Dota model of selling cosmetics that help fund prize pools.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

yeah but I was googling it today and there's some dota tournament with an $18 million prize pool

The way they raise that money is a brilliant work of marketing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They sell a compendium, which gives you a lot of stuff for like 10 bux (Or more if you want extra goodies but the cheapest version still gives out a lot of stuff)

And a portion of that money goes into the prize pool. And as more money goes into the prize pool, it's like Kickstarter stretch goals, every owner will get more and more stuff.

Most of it consists of hats and other cosmetics but there's also a bunch of stuff that helps get the community invested in the pro scene; for the tournament you can do stuff like predict what teams will be at the top, game stats, etc, and you get rewards for guessing correctly.

It would be really simple to adapt that sort of thing for fighting games in a way that could get people who don't give a poo poo about tournaments to suddenly care. I mean heck, how many people only care about March Madness because of their brackets?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Baal posted:

I am a little bit surprised Capcom hasn't tried to do that yet, but I feel like Japanese companies are both iffy about that sort of thing as a whole and not to mention the FGC is poor and does not want to drop money for cosmetics that much on top of it being a pretty stubborn community in general.

I think KI's the closest it's come to that sort of thing and really they asked you to donate 20 bucks towards prize pools and you get like Shago and some KI Gold as a thanks.

I think it'd be cool if someone tried it on a small scale to test the waters

Something like hey here's a $5 skin (or maybe even less!) and the proceeds go to this prize pool, that sorta thing

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dias posted:

The only bad thing about training stage is the music, I think it's dumb to celebrate not being able to play on a stable stage, instead risking framedrops at random.

By the way, no news on DirectInput support or character music in local versus, huh?

It's a boring looking stage, it looks like a debug room.

A good compromise would be to pick the stable stages that aren't dull as hell.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pomp posted:

the best compromise would be capcom getting their poo poo together

:salt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

cloofish posted:

Dude you go into a histrionic fit almost daily about how this game is bad, I'd say you're just as devoted to the opposite cause.

It's basically like the Star Citizen or Xbox One threads

Sadbrains