Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Cat Machine posted:

also does anyone have any advice for consistent instant-air lightning legs, i saw this video and decided i'm playing chun wrong (please forgive the lianghubbbbb video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOgfxCwQd1Y

Jesus Chun just plays a completely different game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Jmcrofts posted:

Randomly decided to do another one of these:

Differences from my day 1 list:

Cammy dropped - I think I overrated her at first, her pressure is less safe than I thought. Still strong though.
Necall and Dhalsim went up a lot - Definitely didn't recognize how good these guys are until I fought some good ones. Ridiculous.
Ken went up slightly - I always thought he was pretty good but now I think he's just about as good as Ryu, about halfway up the pack.
Zangief went down slightly - I definitely think he's viable but the more I see the more I feel like he loses to all the top tiers.

Thoughts?

Yeah I was wondering about Ken actually. In Daigo's stream he and the usual suspects among Japanese high level play said that Ken and Ryu are equal. I was just wondering what people are discovering about the character especially since first impressions weren't exactly great.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Jmcrofts posted:

What a coincidence! I just uploaded pt2 of my footsies series, and it's about shimmying!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhlN-d6rN-A

You're doing God's work Jmcrofts.

Honestly probably the best tutorial series for SFV right now. Floe's is also good, but yours is a hell of a lot more concise.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

hiddenriverninja posted:

FANG's floaty jump and elevator music theme really make me angry for some reason

Same, except the exact opposite

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Can Ryu just m.shoryu his way to victory in Survival Hard? I really want his Sean color. :saddowns:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Trykt posted:

Ryu combos

Good poo poo. Keep in mind Ryu's target combos give a free juggle after v-trigger, so you can do st.HP ~ st.HK xx V-Trigger, LK Tatsu xx Super, for example, for a bit more bang for your buck. Looks stylish too!

e: Also CC HK xx V-Trigger, f.HP, cr.HP xx HP Shoryuken xx Super does absolutely insane damage and stun.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 29, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

RanKizama posted:

I've pretty much shelved this game until the update hits and we get the store and new characters. Any news when that'll be?

Well we're two-thirds of the way through the month we're supposed to get the patch so naturally we know dick-all about it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dias posted:

I'm hoping that since Urien will definitely not be 3S Urien they make him into the obnoxious zoner this game deserves.

I'm scared of what they will do to his voice.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Why would you offer a tutorial, but not let the player, you know, play? :psyduck:

Not even that, but the character tutorials just cover some (but not all) specials and V-Trigger. Developing any kind of gameplan is just impossible with these, they're just good for some Streetbux.

e: ok V-Skill too, my bad

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 29, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

So unlocking colors through survival was impossible and tedious (per costume even) and naturally this was a setup to funnel money out of the economy, right?

Apparently not, new colors will be available for purchase, but not colors 3-10. Maybe they'll be available when the Zenny store opens (though it's already beyond dumb that it isn't opening for an indeterminate amount of time) but for now you'll have to be on PC and use the trainer to unlock the colors in any reasonable way.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Booyah- posted:

What's the source on this?

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/...e-store-launch/

Believe me I'd love to be wrong.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

A.o.D. posted:

They gave Vega his hyper fighting colors, finally. It's color 12 in the fight money store, if that's your kind of thing.

That is my kind of thing, thanks.

Also Alex is awesome. My only complaint being that he doesn't have his hitgrab command normal any more, but his Skill and Trigger more than make up for it. Cool that Hyper Bomb is an EX too!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

NecroMonster posted:

I am deeply surprised that no one has taken that ken drawing as an avatar yet.

What would be good text for it? Does it need text?

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 31, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Sarchasm posted:

"bro ken"

I liked this one on multiple levels.

Shoutouts to bep for making life easy.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Agoat posted:

I play Ryu like a grappler.

This game is basically Saturday Night Slam Masters so you're doing things right.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Poison Jam posted:

I've had this game for 2 weeks now and I still haven't won a single loving fight and I'm sick of what seems to me like being stunlocked (although it's not but that's how it feels) and maybe getting to land one or two punches if I'm lucky. Is there any hope for me because I'm starting to hate the game and I know it's not the game it's me and it's so frustrating :smith:.

Who are you using? And as for babby help, jmcrofts' tutorials are pretty much the best resource for SFV out there.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dias posted:

Karin, FANG and Rashid are the essentials.

The list checks out.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

"Okay, let's rumble."

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

NecroMonster posted:

he's just extremely extremely devoted to defending this piece of poo poo game

Dude you go into a histrionic fit almost daily about how this game is bad, I'd say you're just as devoted to the opposite cause.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

AnonSpore posted:

I quite like Guile's face actually, he's a lot better than Alex or Ken even if he looks like he's about to kill you in cold blood after he finishes combing his do

Yeah Ken's face makes everything look great in comparison, which is great because that means my av will be in style for a while.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Saint Freak posted:

Microtime the minianimations

"shimmy meta" is still the best new age fgc term imo

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Ken is pretty average in this game at best and a shoto that people hate since SFIV where every casual low rank online was picking him, that's probably why there is no guides for him (also Capcom apparently hates him because of that terrifying character select model.) Even as a casual player I wouldn't recommend Ken for a total beginner in SFV because at the end of the day you still have to learn Ryu to learn Ken and in that order imho. If you're learning to use a shoto and pick Ken, you'll just end up playing him like Ryu, in which case you're just playing a bad Ryu and his style is really different. As with all mediocre characters in any fighter, getting even the smallest amount of success can be pretty demanding and perhaps too much for someone without much experience, while with a character like Ryu the simplest things will take you far and the simple things is what you want to master first.

Ok, what's the deal with Ken? He's the one character I see oscillate wildly in terms of rankings. I mean I find him to be pretty fun in this game, but opinion on him shifts all the time in terms of how effective he is. What gives?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

apple posted:

Infiltration explains it pretty well in this section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVUTiy57VVc&t=642s

Some things he doesn't cover: his low confirms aren't bad but not great either, he generally needs super or vtrigger to make you respect his low options. Characters like Necalli and Chun both have safe, effective ways to conserve momentum off low hits that doesn't involve a point blank cr.LK. This sounds really specific but this is a really common scenario for midscreen pressure, and if your lows aren't scary enough midscreen people will hold back on you a lot and walk right out of your offense. This leaves Ken with mostly options that either 1. Reset you back to neutral or 2. Risk overextending by doing stuff like dash/VSkill/sweep to keep his momentum.

Like, despite his flaws he's still really good, but the most you can push him towards is A tier IMO. Anyone who puts Ken higher is crazy.

Thanks, great info all around. I've only just started trying to become actually good so it's good to know I'm not pursuing a lost cause. What would be the top tier, in your opinion?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Bloodly posted:

Never doubt what modders will do...or what they are capable of given motivation. There was an example somewhere in here when Alex showed up...something about a costume...

Ah!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765346&pagenumber=188&perpage=40#post458655374

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765346&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=190#post458679522

I have no idea what the hell Capcom was thinking with a lot of the costumes in this game, especially with Alex.

This mod just makes me sad.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

giogadi posted:

Something "special" happening at the Combo Breaker finals, according to Capcom Fighters Twitter feed.

Is this one of those "announcement for an announcement" things because that's one of the most infuriating trends around today.

Really at the very least Capcom needs make a complete about-face on their marketing and PR. The lack of acknowledgement of big issues like amateurish clipping, physics freakouts, and the whole 8 frames thing is worrisome, and promised content is vague, with info only IV-dripped based on the CPT schedule.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

This game constantly requiring to be online was a mistake.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I'm agreeing with you more and more every day buddy.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Does anyone know where Capcom's art team disappeared to after the Alpha series, Darkstalker series, or Third Strike? Capcom's current art team is a bit garbage in comparison. See - Alex's current design.

Idk but imagine the clipping on something as simple as Felicia.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

No I think the clipping IS a big issue. Presentation is always key in fighting games. I'm not even a huge fan of Guilty Gear, but this is something ArcSys knows, and it's why they paid just as much attention to presentation as the core fighting. When you're on the character select and goddamn near 3/4 of the cast is clipping on a close up, you've got a problem. When your default Player 2 has his bananas clipping through his shoulders on the character select screen, you've got a problem. And then you have dudes like Vega, who have their physics just bug the gently caress out on a win pose, 100% of the time.

I don't have a problem with the art style, actually I think it's great, and I think characters like Ryu, Chun, Nash, Sim, and Gief look awesome in this game, but anyone with even a slightly more ambitious design falls victim to clipping and physics issues.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Jack Trades posted:

Let me tell you about Nrvnqsr Chaos (pronounced Nero Chaos).

In a game where every single character is designed to go nuts all over the screen every single button, special and super that Nero has is designed in such a way as to shut everything your opponent does down, forcing them to take a metaphorical chill pill.
This guy is designed to basically give blue balls to every player that want to go ham and do all the fancy combos or whatever and that makes me so HARD.

I love nothing more than to make my opponent slow the gently caress down and just take my long far-reaching normals, slowly and methodically.

Phew, is it just me or did it suddenly get hot in here?

I was sold when he made rhinos come out of his trenchcoat but that's even cooler.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I bought the official Street Fighter V TE2+™ for this game and it works fine in PS4 menus, but the second I enter any game nothing works except the Home button. Is anyone else having this problem or am I going to have to send this stick back to Madcatz? Absolutely zero modifications have been done btw.

(Welcome to the new world of Street Fighter V)

e: I bought it at launch and it was working fine before.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 25, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I guess "something special" just = this month's character trailer. Whatever, at this point.

Still, I never really was a fan of Ibuki before but I gotta admit she's looking pretty cool and fresh for this go around.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

There was just more combo variety in the first beta too. For instance Ryu could do b.HK, cr.MP, LK Tatsu, EX Shoryu for a nice juicy combo but they now that combo is impossible in two parts (b. HK -> cr.MP and LK Tatsu -> EX Shoryu)

Iirc Ryu could also do all three EX moves in one combo too, which wasn't practical but was :krad: and again added variety.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Also I don't think they had that dumb thing in place yet where you have to jump forward to do air specials.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 1, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

im a noob silvder but what the h*ck do u do ag ainst constant light atks > throw . fukekn react techin them i sp impossible and when you predict tech oh look they werent gonna throw but fukning do some bullshit 005 dmg combo

You're getting owned by the shimmy, which gootecks invented.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/jun/01/combofiend-i-think-best-street-fighter-5-character-ken-hes-just-always-threatening/

Combofiend thinks Ken is the absolute best character in V. Thoughts? Ken's tier position has always been nebulous at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

That's the most corporate response I've ever heard, amazing.