Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yeah, well, when was the last time the American MoD made a statement in Russian? Checkmate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Anosmoman posted:

They don't have to. Yatzy!

Russians didn't have to either.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lichtenstein posted:

I think one mock-worthy development of recent days somehow evaded the thread.

This is an official logo of Poland's Space Agency.

Exhibit A
Exhibit B
Exhibit C
Exhibit D

This is a counterfeit meme. Polandball famously has red on top.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Brown Moses posted:

There's a live blog here
http://www.delfi.lv/news/national/p...s.d?id=47188319

Lots of talk about Nazis etc, whats the actual story?

I've got to say, for a march in remembrance of people who fought as a part of the Waffen-SS, the amount of nazi symbols is surprisingly low compared to November Russian Marches.

But it's still kind of high for my taste, I don't know.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

A Pale Horse posted:

Pretty soon the government will require public wailing and rending of clothes on those days as a display of love and sorrow for dearest leader. I was at the cinema recently and before the main feature started they showed the trailer for the new "Smolensk" movie. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It's conspiracy theory upon conspiracy theory upon improbability upon impossibility. I'm sure it will rake in money though and a good portion of people will believe that bullshit.

fake edit: found it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgSl0VAn76M

Birches can't explode jet engines!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kalstrams posted:

Slightly more than triple the monthly salary of one of my friends. Before tax.

Does he work part-time? That's super low even by non-Moscow standards.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kalstrams posted:

Full time, entry level factory job.

That's depressing to hear. It's below what janitors make.
I've also just checked unemployment benefits in Russia, and the amount hasn't been changed since 2009. They range from around $12 up to $73.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kalstrams posted:

I-I, I just don't get it? :psypop:

Short version, Bryansk oblast have been banned from using any social networks, as well as Google Maps, Gmail, Yahoo, WhatsApp, Viber, ICQ, Skype, Google Chrome, and Safari. They've also been banned from contacting representatives of half of the companies mentioned in previous sentence.

Only doctors for some reason.

Like, at work banning social networks kind of makes sense, I guess. But restricting browsers and messangers?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

It's for education, so our posterity never forgets. Russians ban Polish board game that simulates shopping Soviet style.

http://qz.com/646871/russia-banned-a-polish-board-game-that-simulates-communist-era-shopping/

Rospotrebnadozor say they didn't ban anything and couldn't possibly ban the game, because historical commentary is simply not in their area of expertise. Either they decided to backpedal it or there was some misunderstanding.

https://meduza.io/feature/2016/03/25/antisovetskaya-monopoliya

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nitrox posted:

Hahahaha

Apart from the conspiracy theory part, it's not actually funny at all. :(

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nitrox posted:

Assaulting elderly protesters is not cool t all, but notice that attackers were focused on taking the signs away and not much else. Unless I'm missing something.

I see those picketers though the same lens that i see Westboro Baptist Church or holocaust deniers, it appears that someone else does too.
Oh yeah, throwing paint and bottles at people and calling them Jews is pretty cool, actually, because they are the REAL nazis, not people who've posted this video on the official Azov youtube channel that has a Wolfsangel symbol as its logo.

OddObserver posted:

Nah, they are mostly just people supplementing their awful pensions with a bit of acting of crowd scenes.
Old people picketing in favour of USSR? Unbelievable, they must be paid actors!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

Oh, they probably really love USSR, but people who love USSR are also not likely to go protest w/o "extra encouragement".
Yeah, no.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kalstrams posted:

I hope this will not come of as a surprise, but both sides can be bad. No one here seems to be whitewashing Azov or cheering up the thugs. However, that alone is not going to be reason to support and uphold the ideas of picketers on their quest to prove that Ukrainian history is a science fiction; that Ukrainian nation is social construct invented by the Soviet Union.

Absolutely. But in my opinion their right to express those ideas should be protected all the same.

OddObserver posted:

And as for people getting paid to protest: there was recently a hilarious story in Russia about a 30-something journalist getting 300 rubles for attending some demonstration as a part of some senior citizens group delegation. (Of course, those sorts of events usually just have people forced to come by their employers).

It's definitely happening from time to time, but it's the easiest accusation to throw around. Remember that Maidan protesters or protesters in Belarus and Russia were and are also said to have been paid by someone, and in some cases it's true, but ultimately it's irrelevant to how those protests were/are handled by the government and portrayed in media.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kalstrams posted:

The thread consensus does not seem to contradict your, or mine opinion on this regard, even though I have mixed feelings about respecting public expression of objectively false concepts.

The main purpose of this event is to commemorate the referendum where Ukrainian people voted for staying a part of USSR. Despite that, as we all know, USSR dissolved in a year. For these people, this event signifies the most dramatic event in their lives, loss of their country and their identity to some extent. I may not view it that way, but I can see why they feel how they feel, and recent events most surely don't make them feel safer.

You brought up several times how you see marches in remembrance of Latvian Legion as a way for people to remember their fallen comrades and appreciate independence of their country, even though some of the people marching might have some objectively reprehensible ideas, and I feel like there is a parallel to be drawn here. They are just old people who want to remember good old days.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kalstrams posted:

Remembering good old days is one thing, feel free to go for it and I'll be glad you have it.

Another, and the only thing I make of their goals there, from the video alone, is a poster claiming Ukraine was invented by the Soviet Union, which is what I used to build my argument. In strictly that parallel, Latvian Legion day would have had people advocating that non-White people are sub-humans, in which case I would cheer up if whoever would peacefully shut them down.

The poster says that Ukraine (as in its current territory) is a result of 'sovetisation and communisation', which is technically true. The point of the poster is to highlight what the author thinks is contribution of USSR in creation of independent Ukraine. It says that 'desovetisation' means that Ukrainian territory would still be divided between Russia, Poland, Romania and Hungary.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 31, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kalstrams posted:

Yeah, I've read what poster says as well, and I believe that it attributes too much to the USSR and nothing to the Ukrainian people, even if we do not slip into details. I feel that notions that I believe to be expressed may be relevant here since they are in line with some of the propaganda that is being much more aggressively pushed post-revolution. In part, however, where I may as well be more mistaken than on the whole here, since the poster does not convey the idea in a clear way, I also do consider older generation to be rather gullible to such revisionism, even though anyone can be convinced of anything, just have enough effort put into it.

Ukrainian people, in their mind, were a part of sovetisation, an internationalist movement. Again, they commemorate a Ukrainian referendum where Ukrainian people voted IN and not OUT. Those protesters themselves are Ukrainian people, after all. Most of them probably have some bad ideas on Stalin or Holodomor, but gladly they decided not to show it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Palpek posted:

Yeah, it was fun finding out that this is actually pretty bizarre and that only Eastern Block countries do it. Basically every movie and series in Polish is like a nature documentary narrated by David Attenborough.

Wait. In cinemas you still get dubbed films, right? Can't they show those on TV? It's cheaper to buy this version from your local distributor than making your own translation, too. And I am pretty sure cartoons on non-Polish channels like Cartoon Network or Disney are dubbed, so why not films? It's really strange considering video games as far as I know have pretty good voice acting in Polish.

In Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus, by the way, even when shows or films on TV are not properly dubbed (i.e. you still can hear original voices), they have at least two actors for male and female/child characters and more often than not they attempt different voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bZnRFwHcWo
Fantastic.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

grate deceiver posted:

I wonder if this is a polish invention, I haven't heard of anything like this in other countries. They're getting weirdly specific as well, my mother religiously watches one about couples catching their nannies doing weird poo poo on hidden camera (again, it's semi-scripted starring complete amateurs doing their worst wooden 'acting' impressions).

I think I've seen something like that on Russian TV. There's one that is ostensibly a legal drama, but main characters are played by actual prosecutors and judges, while everyone involved in the case are amateur actors. There is a certain charm to it, I've got to say.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lichtenstein posted:

Oh, Judge Judy and its knock-offs are a great example, except imagine every possible genre of a tv show done in this style.

[edit] This includes some shows trying to pretend there's a degree of reality to them and some who just can't be bother to hire real actors and have dialogues written out. They just gather this bunch of randos and tell them "ok, in this scene you confront her about sleeping with your husband. Eventually she slaps you and runs away crying. Ok, ready, set, go."

It wasn't exactly like Judge Judy. Most of the show took place outside the courtroom with flashbacks, cuts to the investigation team, etc. But I suspect it was more scripted than what you describe. Is there a way for me to watch one of these Polish shows somehow?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lichtenstein posted:

Not sure how to get non-Polish subtitles or whatever, but Miłość na Bogato (Opulent Love) is absolutely amazing. W-11 Wydział Śledczy (CSI: W-11) is the originator of the genre, it's a cop procedural with real cops/civilian amateurs. Trudne Sprawy (Difficult Matters) is like people acting out Jerry Springer stories and it is pretty bonkers.

I know enough Polish to understand most of it and so far it's amazing. Thanks!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

A Pale Horse posted:

Polish original programming is an absolute wasteland of trash and drivel and Polonized rip offs of shows like Master Chef and Pop Idol. The only Polish show I can remember enjoying at all was Rodzinka.pl and even that got shouty and annoying at times. Its basically just news and sports at my house if anything but since the election I don't even watch much news anymore.

Sorry to disappoint you, but even this show is based on a Canadian original series.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Palpek posted:

SS? More like NKVD and Putin can use the same forms lying around in Stalin's old cupboards, just change a few names and dates.

KGB is NKVD, though. This new thing is completely different.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rrrrrrgh, I'm so mad I'm not Polish, God drat it, loving Poláci!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am the abominable communist Jew dragon slain by glorious knight Franco.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lichtenstein posted:

This is, uh, a "history" spin-off of a right-wing Do Rzeczy magazine, which is sort of a spin-off of a right wing Uważam Rze magazine (formed by rejects from its editorial team), which is a sort of a spin-off of a right-wing Rzeczpospolita magazine (formed by rejects from its editorial team).

It's fairly mainstream end of the world of right-wing publications, or at least Rzeczpospolita is.

Right wing lunacy aside, those are some solid pun names for spin-off magazines.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

How broke and desperate is Lukashenko? His foreign minister is willing to concede that the current status of Crimea is the right one.

http://belsat.eu/en/news/makei-belarus-recognizes-de-facto-status-of-crimea/

Things are rough with communal payments. At first, the government planned to raise rates gradually to 100% of real costs as opposed 25% people pay now, but, unsurprisingly, Belarusians didn't like it, and Lukashenko had to throw some housing officials in jail, revert their plans, lower payment rates even further, and get some money off Eurasian Development Bank.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 10, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Xerxes17 posted:

What are communal payments in this context?

It's your utilities + what you pay for just living in a flat/apartment/house, i.e. exploitation costs.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Xerxes17 posted:

It certainly looks like what I am looking for, thanks. It also occurs to me that this is the wrong EE thread for food questions :v:

East of Poland the closest thing is probably Okhotnichii (hunter's) sausages.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I like reading this blog written by a school teacher in Gomel. Usually she writes about her students and Belarusian culture, but this post makes it seem as though the situation in Belarus is looking pretty bleak.

http://mynativebelarus.blogspot.com/2016/01/black-thursday.html

That was way back in January, though. BYR has stabilised somewhat since then. Plus, the law mostly affects really small entrepreneurs who sell clothes and shoes they buy cheap in Poland or Ukraine, and even then it looks like many of them managed to get required documents in the end. The situation is dire, as usual, but it's not like there's suddenly no food in shops or something like that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Are the majority of people in Poland Smolensk truthers? How popular are those theories?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

slavatuvs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-XV8Zsd9gg

Goons in russia are a lot more militant about their SA membership.

They are Limonov's comrades, i.e. national-bolshevicks. The grenade is a pun on Limonov's name, because in Russian grenades are sometimes called limonka.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

A Pale Horse posted:

You got your fascism in my communism!

Poland's having its own nazi moment right now. On Saturday a known nationalist sympathizer priest who has been moved around the country because everywhere he goes he organizes fascist rallies held a special mass in the Bialystok catherdral to honor the anniversary of the foundation of ONR, one of Poland's preeminent far right groups. During his sermon he said that leftism is a cancer than has to be cut out of society by the uncompromising morality of Nationalist-Catholicism. Afterwards they had a lovely jaunt down the city streets while chanting lovely slogans about hanging zionists, communists, killing muslims and of course Poland only for Poles! They ended their evening at a university affiliated night club where they were treated to a concert by Neo-Nazi group Nordica. The University with which the club was affiliated sent out an email to its international students, advising them not to go out into the city, walk the campus or even leave their rooms between 11:00 AM on Saturday and 3:00 AM on Sunday so as to avoid "unfortunate incidents" and warned that ONR is a racist organization. Now even for Poland, this is a rather distressing level of collusion between church and extreme right wing organizations. The church was forced to react and gave the priest in question a complete ban on all public appearances, organizing of any events, leading of pilgrimages, or otherwise coming out of his room basically. That this is the third straight place he's done this was left without comment. Times are getting more interesting by the moment.

Edit: Bonus Pictures

Here's the mass.

And here's the young patriots in their natural state:

At least the local curia were fast to apologise and distance themselves from this debacle. Wonder if they'll finally do something about the priest, too.

E: LMAO, went through his twitter and among other things he believes that the Pope might be a secret Muslim and that the third Fatima secret is just about that.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 20, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Brown Moses posted:

So while working on our response to the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs' email it's become apparent their "evidence" is plagiarised from a Livejournal, going as far as lifting entire paragraphs.

Hey, that's not fair. You gather evidence in social networks all the time! :v:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Brown Moses posted:

I genuinely think that could be their reply.`

I suspect the ministry got a hefty amount of money to counter enemy propaganda, but instead it's just one unpaid intern browsing hashtags and copypasting stuff from livejournal.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Brown Moses posted:

We actually know exactly who wrote it because they sent it in a Word document and didn't strip their metadata. We've already found their Facebook pages, confirming they work for the Russian MFA. Here's an example of their plagiarism:

Exactly the same, except one uses "–" and the other "-".

It just went through spell checker. There's also one grammatical error they've corrected (боевой техники -> боевая техника).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kalstrams posted:

It's a coin based on folk tale about hedgehog. Long story short, childless family suddenly did get a hedgehog son named Sonic, who helped them by herding their pigs in the forest. Then Sonic he scammed local king riding through a forest to marry his daughter. The daughter on the marriage night did burn Sonic's his needle coat. This made Sonic him suffer until the morning, upon which he turned into a handsome guy, and they lived happily forever after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5HszDJE7b4

So that's where the human-hedgehog romance in Sonic 06 is lifted from...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

Russia (and probably much of the rest of post-Soviet space) has a serious thing for overuse of dress-military style uniforms --- even the foreign ministry spokeslady has one (in a rather... evocative... black, at that).

Their postal services had a rather snazzy uniform, too.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bloodshit posted:

Soviet tradition of huge May 1 parades revived in the Donetsk People's Republic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKnChL75eHs

It's not revived, because it never died. But I've heard this year they planned to skip the Labour Day parade because of the Orthodox Easter celebrations, so I'm surprised they actually held it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

anilEhilated posted:

Was it? I thought Stalin alone managed to rack up a higher kill count than the Nazis, not to mention all the suppressions that followed.

The most liberal estimates on victims of Stalin's regime are ~25 million people, including people sentenced to deportation for petty crimes. Which is the same number as the number of soldiers, not even including civilians, who died in WWII. So I would say Hitler 'wins' this one.

E: Happy V Day, everyone. Here's the Pope wearing the St. George's ribbon presented to him by a Russian communist a couple of days ago.

Obviously, he didn't know that the ribbon is a bit controversial outside of Russia.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

anilEhilated posted:

It's not like Stalin wasn't at least partially responsible for WW2 as well...

By that logic, he was also partially responsible for winning it, so it evens out.