Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Heresy! Destroy it!

*gets beaten up by Russel Crowe*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wronk.

To the guy above you.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

TWO OR THREE GUYS FRIGHTENED AS RESULT OF ATTACK

Babby cried as ground shook.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The inspiration was there but the audiences had different ideas. Reeve's Superman had a Supergirl spinoff movie (with hopes of more to follow) and there was a planned Robin/Nightwing spinoff from the Shumacher Batman films which got canned when Batman and Robin fizzled. There were plans to keep those franchises going for as long as possible but they hosed them up.

This poster for Supergirl was rather naively optimistic:

"Her first great adventure!"

My memory is a little fuzzy but I'm pretty sure Supergirl neither sets foot nor flies through New York in that movie, so that's two things wrong with the poster.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

UmOk posted:

Supergirl is so weird and awesome

I vaguely remember Faye Dunaway summoning a terrifying invisible monster that Supergirl never fights, c/d?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

No, no, no. That wasn't Darkman, that was a villain wearing one of Darkman's masks.

Darkman decided it was best to leave town so he went to New York to become a wrestling announcer, an usher and finally a maitre d'.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

parallelodad posted:

The person I feel worst for in Guardians is Quill's Grandpa. Holy poo poo, he's at his daughter's death bed and his grandson runs away and then is literally gone, which he likely feels personally responsible for.

It's OK, he still has his loving wife May and their nephew they both take care of.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I love that couch. "Why don't you sit down next to me Loki?"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

gently caress you fuckers for making me look up what vore is.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Take responsibility for your deviance please.

I did, I paid ten dollars for it.

Phylodox posted:

You really should know better by now.

New thread title.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"Sometimes... we spend our whole lives searching for something, but we don't realize we've been looking... until we find it."

Note to self: "Eat me."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

UmOk posted:

Guys, I heard the actor playing Spider-man has not read the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn. Wtf is going on here?

#notmyspiderman

He should read about Luuke in preparation for the Clone Saga.

IInite the League?

Unrelated, but what would Loki's clone be called?

Looki

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

AHAHA holy poo poo I forgot James Marsden.

Everyone always does :(

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

My irritation with Thor is that time travel doesn't exist so we can send back Braun Strowman to play Volstagg. I love Ray Stevenson but he is utterly wasted in that role.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

There's also Lundgren's character that is either Mera's Fiance or his father, depending with which version of the character they go.

They'll compromise and have him be both.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Shageletic posted:

If only. And everyone else in X-Men. Can you imagine the pathos he would have brought sitting in the wheelchair, then using it as a battering ram?!

e:^^^^^

no!!! That's where his acting resides!!!

No worries, he's still in the running for Shao Khan.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Is it too late to cast Triple H in an one-man show where he plays all comic characters?

There's always next PPV.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Sir Nose posted:

They should do the pirate stuff as live-action then

They should do the pirate stuff as a live-action deconstruction of pirate movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Don't forget that the incident in Sokovia was presented in the previous film as a massive victory for the heroes with some unfortunate but unavoidable losses .... but then in this film Tony makes the shocking discovery that a young upstanding American student also died in Sokovia during the fighting and that was apparently enough to completely change his perception of those events and make him want to sign the Accords.

I'm mostly kidding but the fact that the filmmakers felt they had to introduce an American victim to the Sokovia fight in order to make audiences suddenly care about the loss of life there just came across as calculated and a bit gross.

Don't forget that Zemo's primary reason to destroy the Avengers is that his family died in Sokovia. I thought his righteous fury contrasted nicely with Tony's getting all misty-eyed because his weapons killed the wrong person again.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Quick, someone photoshop-replace Volstagg with Braun Strowman!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Doctor Strange's use of the Infinity Stone is especially weird. This artifact of enormous power sits in a room full of artifacts, Strange picks it up, they discover he's been using it, and are just happy to have this dude carry it around for much of the movie until he remembers to use it.

Then again, it felt like a lot of that movie either wasn't filmed or was cut out.

I'd definitely agree on the last part, but didn't Mads Mikkelsen attack the monastery directly after Wong and Mordo caught Strange? There wasn't much time to do anything about his transgression.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ElNarez posted:

okay but is it fun?

Nigh-unbearably fun.

The MSJ posted:

Marvel was partly responsible for the Transformers as they were introduced back in the 1980s. They not only published the comics, but came up with the names and backstory too. And then you get these.

I kind of need Doomtank.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I guess the argument is that this is a good shot, but all I can look at is their doofy expressions and the sheen of Vaseline around Obi Wan's head.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

sassassin posted:

I thought people liked practical effects?

Obi Wan's fake reshoot beard is the best thing in all of Star Wars.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Movie fight!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Also, this is actually the proper comparison I should've made, but I was initially trying to emphasise the differences rather than contrast, then somebody quoted it and it was too late to change it.

I'd say these pictures try to convey different things, despite their superficial similarities (enemy forces standing on a field, main character standing with their back to us). Like, the Kree aren't supposed to be overwhelming Yondu through sheer number, that they are standing so far apart is the point because it should make them harder to fight. Yondu is dwarfing them because despite their superior number and positioning, he's just about to pull out his magic whistle arrow and murder them. The Vogon army huddles in front of a picket fence for comedic effect.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 21, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Sylvester Stallone is playing Starhawk in Guardians Volume 2.

He leads a rival band of ravagers and has 4 other main members of his crew that weren't revealed until the premiere last night.

Michelle Yeoh
Ving Rhames
A giant worm-man (no actor listed, possibly CGI?)
A character called Mainframe that in the comics is a version of The Vision from the future (also no actor listed)

Gunn also says that Adam Warlock will be in Guardians Volume: 3 and other MCU Cosmic films, but for the 300th time, he is not in Guardians Volume: 2.

Hold the phone, Ving Rhames still makes movies and he's gonna be Some Dude on the B-team Guardians?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ving Rhames was just in the last Mission Impossible movie and he has another movie with Glenn Close and J.K. Simmons coming out this year.

He's never stopped.

Dur, I completely forgot about the MI movies, glad he has his franchise. My favorite role of his was Striptease, and then I saw him on some covers of what appeared to be DTV schlock and I just kinda always automatically assume that Ving Rhames has fallen off the grid.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

They landed some big name actors for these movies, and I assume that was a major reason why the idea got off the ground in the first place. Once you're paying Cruise and Crowe and Johansson huge salaries it probably is inevitable that the budgets will end up sky high, especially because you know they're going to spend tens of millions(if not more) on advertising.

Who is she going to be, Frankenstein's Bride? I guess since they already made the Mummy a woman they can do the same for others, but as far as I remember the Classic Monster universe would be a sausage fest.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Braun Strowman as the big guy who beats up your nerdy old horror movie icons.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Dream Casting for the Universal Monster Cinematic Universe would be:

The Mummy: "Stone Cold" Steve Austin
The Wolfman: Paul "Triple H" Levesque
Dracula: Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
The Creature from the Black Lagoon: MIck "Cactus Jack" "Mankind" "Dude Love" Foley

Look at this guy deluded by Attitude Area nostalgia.

Clearly the more modern and more popular fan-casting is:

The Mummy: Roman Reigns
The Wolfman: Roman Reigns
Dracula: Sheamus
The Creature from the Black Lagoon: Roman Reigns

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

Looking at IMDB informs that Baby Stryker was Slit from Fury Road.

gently caress, I can totally see it now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

What is the best Cruise film, anyway? I like to re-watch A Few Good Men fairly often.

Dunno about his best movie, but the reason I licked him again was the one-two punch of Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion. Two fantastic science fiction movies with Tom Cruise dying a lot, what's not to love.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

why is Legion like one of the only comic book things, movie or TV, I feel like I've watched that wasn't afraid to get like...comic booky? Is this Nolan's fault? Even the most grounded and "prestigious" superhero stories were always (to me) goofy and juvenile compared to like, works in any other mediums or even just non-superhero comic book genres...like, they're all basically for kids, even if the content gets extreme or violent. two dimensional stories in a two dimensional form. I guess Alan Moore is fine but I'm never like, comparing him to the great minds of cinema or literature. Warren Ellis is awesome but there's a reason his novels read as goofy rear end bullshit imo, cuz some writing only flies when it's in a comic book.
Legion is all wild and stylish and erratic and colorful and goofy and weird, and you don't really see that outside of like, bits of Zack Snyder and Guardians, I guess? Darkman too, but Darkman wasn't based on a comic book. Guardians is pretty...conventional compared to Legion, tbh, and it's not like that poo poo is set in space. You've got no excuse. Maybe the new Thor movie will bring some of that in.
Like who cares about people in leather punching each other and shooting laser blasts or whatever? They're all just more or less pretty conventional action movies/blockbusters. It's gotta be stylish. The Winter Soldier, all that sorta poo poo, it all needed comic book weirdness, because these are all inherently stupid loving stories anyway. Unless you're actually Christopher Nolan level, you really need to be just making wacky rear end poo poo.
I'm not sure I'm putting this into the right words, but it's just how I felt watching it.

If you think about it, action movies are kinda dumb.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

cvnvcnv posted:

It would have been amazing if I wasn't sitting in the theater completely unsure of what was happening for fact that the scene looked unbelievably incomplete.

Where is his rat microphone?
Oh, there it is.
Wait, it's gone ag-
*close up of rat microphone*

:psyboom:

It's a simple montage played out of sequence, I'm not quite sure what is so confusing about that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Hitchhiker's Guide = so bad it makes good things bad.

Guardians = so good it makes not necessarily good things great.

The two films are not comparable.

Did you not see the visual evidence? In HHGttG, people stand on fields like this, in GotG people stand on fields like this.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Can someone please post an assessment of every Batman movie from 1987 to The Dark Knight Rises using only food metaphors?

Thanks in advance.

Only if you promise me that we will get into an argument about the food used in the metaphors and how it's really bad/good food.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

[...] and lacking the 24/7 supervision and support of the world's greatest and most influential entertainment giant and a subsidiary brand/media division that is one of the most successful in recorded history.

When have these things ever helped?

Also, you pretty much admitted that HHGttG's characters are bland and whatnot, so you might pretty please try not to be in insufferably smug douchebag about it's superiority. It has some shots that are nicer than some shots from GotG, we get it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Drifter posted:

It was inferred that Dr Strange spent an awful lot of time studying in the Astral Plane, which slowed down time by a factor of a thousand+. He was also there for Many months, people time, according to his Dr. ex-girlfriend.

Yeah I'd have to rewatch the movie but I'm pretty sure the gray streaks in his hair weren't there before he started studying, or at least weren't as pronounced.

Also, being accustomed to learning a poo poo ton makes learning a poo poo ton easier.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

One thing the Extended Cut added that I really liked was a brief second before the senators meet Lex for the first time where Hope gives him a nod, as if to signal that they are coming, and then Lex does his throw. I think you even see him wait on the corner of the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Can you find any shots in Guardians that are better than roughly equivalent shots in Hitchhikers?

No. Does that in any way change the fact that BravestoftheLamps is a pain in the rear end?

• Locked thread