Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

-first and last lesson of every journalism major ever

Some complicated web of vultures and assholes conspiring to avoid culpability for their actions don't for good guys in a superhero movie make.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Burkion posted:

Do random celebs get hassled when they're some where they aren't known to be?

Like obviously they're going to be noticed if they're hanging around where they actually live. But you go far enough away without anyone knowing that, or if no one is EXPECTING you to be around, you can get around pretty easily.

Opposite, around their home people would be respectful to a fellow member of the community and people don't bat eyes as much. A celebrity goes to say a random out-of-town Waffle House, people want autographs, pictures, some type of experience. There is no "far enough away" that people aren't starfuckers at a certain level of celebrity but there is a close enough to home for them.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Tezzor posted:

It's not that complicated to understand why people think you're lying. It's first, obviously, because the movies CD feels the most compelled to defend - the prequels, Transformers, Man of Steel, etc - are, among the fanbase outside of this forum, generally considered among to be failed, embarrassing, bottom-tier trash for idiots.

The first TRANSFORMERS was an innocuous, fun fantasy romp about a boy and his first car and it was good. :colbert:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Holy crap. I had no idea that any human being could not like The Lego Movie.

Bad children's humor and ugly, jittery animation the bulk of which was built around not characters but brands? Yeah, I would be shocked if any hoi polloi didn't like it.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

TetsuoTW posted:

You never actually saw Lego Movie did you.

I did see it, with the animation that makes bad claymation look smooth and nice, toy cameos being wrongly called cast of characters because Batman is Batman is Batman and you know Batman, and the no laughs.

Plenty of stupid in me but I am lacking whatever makes bad children's media good.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

What are your thoughts on Wonder Woman (tm), Flash (tm), and Aquaman (tm) appearing in DC(c)'s Batman (tm) v Superman (tm): Dawn of Justice (tm)?

Not good if their mere appearance and our previous knowledge of them is all we're given to work with, but it actually seems like they may be the new Amber, Rocket, and Blondie to our Sweet Pea vs Baby Doll, which is to say far more artistic than given credit for.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Wendell posted:

What makes your argument so bad is that the animation was good, so you just look like a nut.
It made me feel like I was incessantly blinking, or the filmmakers were maliciously trying to induce seizures in people. Get it?! The blocks are blocky and so the animation is too!! Not good. By that logic the movie should have been five hours long because the people making the decisions are slow.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

Sucker Punch?
Edit: Sucker Punch :shrug:

Likening the team-up to the director's previous team-up via pairing characters, and stating a positive opinion about that.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

TetsuoTW posted:

Except that Lego Movie Batman was very obviously poking fun at Batman Batman. Like so obviously that literal children got it. Tiny little actual manlets barely past understanding that things that are behind them still exist were able to catch that.

Yes, because it was a comedy for children so Batman fit that. And the joke of Batman was still that Batman has to be Batman for the jokes to work, making him the exact character I'm claiming. You may see the forest of idiot children quite clearly but you can't quite escape it yourself, huh? You liked the movie a whole heck of a lot, apparently, where I thought it poo poo. What a great world we live in!

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES (1990) was viewed enough to warrant the tape being respooled and I can mostly quote along with it today. As what qualifies as an adult, I put on LES ENFANTS DU PARADIS a lot and I've watched BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW a bunch of times.

It's cool to watch things a lot.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

broken clock opsec posted:

A) there is no such thing
:psypop:

Yes, there is. Plenty of people are all for individual rights and against big government. What in the world is this?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I said come in! posted:

You could argue though that some of these beliefs are misguided. Social and economic policy are connected to each other and a lot of people don't understand how having differing views on both creates a lot of confusing conflict. Conservative fiscal policy tends to hurt social progress.

No human could exist if not full of and tangled in contradictions. Holding conflicting points of view is how new paths are created where holding onto direct causality is what leads people to vote along political lines for the most typical reasons.

"Policy" is right and a symptom of the governing system to which we belong, not the belief systems of constituents. The media loves to show caricatures so often that people actually confuse a correlation between the perceived voter and what ends up being done in their names but this isn't a direct democracy and both major parties are equally to blame for being 50% correct and holding that reality hostage to their other, incorrect halves.

From where I stand, I see no way that ends without people becoming even more contradictory. That said, you're right. You are. It's an ocean and there's a lot of ways to traverse it.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

Haha, nope.

Congratulations, you favor a political party. I don't suspect anyone who does to agree with that for obvious reasons so gg

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm actually more bothered by the assumption that the two political parties encompass the entirety of correct political thought, ignoring both their significant agreement, and the vast territory of possibilities neither will consider.

And, yeah, if you really land on "equally to blame" and precisely 50%, that's pretty obviously a result of dedication to neutrality and blame sharing as an end in itself, not something you could actually end up with as a consequence of your various political views. It's Southparkian "the truth is is in the middle" for its own sake.
SOUTH PARK? Don't watch the poo poo. Libertarian? Naw.

It's actually that neither party is correct, neither is the solution, and divvying actual blame is an abjectly masturbatory thing to do. Like the old saying, you vote right if you have a brain and you vote left if you have a heart. Kumbaya, I'm sure by their forces combined much good could be done but that isn't happening so what I'm left with is playing the devil's advocate for both. My genuine stance comes down to having absolutely zero political affiliation as I don't believe any person should be forced to live in the ways that I want to, and that I would never attempt to exert that force on another person.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Electromax posted:

Why doesn't he use his robot arm to just rip her esophagus out like in Road House?

Because the Lex Express and his steel arm haven't turned heel.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

axelord posted:

It's been my experience that most people when asked if they liked a movie will state their opinion and a short statement why. Not because they are incapable of articulating an objective critique but that is not what the person asking is interested in listening to or maybe they are not interested in making one.

:psyboom:

Wait, so you casually ask people if they liked a movie, they respond appropriately with a cogent, succinct piece of information to accompany that answer, and that sends you into an internal dialogue about wether or not that person is mentally capable of discussing the deep, thematic meaning of cars exploding during THE AVENGERS? Okay, this checks out.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

That is a fuckin' awkward shot of Kingpin.

https://youtu.be/lQpdk3R6Cug

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Phylodox posted:

That's no excuse. You don't see Hawkeye skipping leg day.

No, you just see him and Bucky starting some One-Sleeve Gang.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Well you'd think Falco would be providing support from above and not just running along like a little boy with a blanket cape

That's why they're on a runway, so he has room to sprint for takeoff and landing.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

K. Waste posted:

i'm really gonna love it if that scene of the north african witness played by wunmi mosaku literally happens just after clark kent has gotten does having sex with lois lane in the bath tub like it implies here

Superman does not have a responsibility to save all people nor do all or even any people have a right to have their problems solved by Superman. I don't know if that scene is supposed to trigger some automatic response where I think Superman is an rear end in a top hat or what because the opposite happened.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

The MSJ posted:

I think whoever said that the movie sounds more like The Death of Wolverine is right. This is Jackman's final movie and X23 is part of that story.

From the leaks, yes, he has a death scene very reminiscent of the comics.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

THOR 1 was Asgard policing realms, same as in 2, AGENTS the Kree came a long time ago to experiment with what would be Inhumans, GOTG we don't really know why the came but probably something specific and insignificant, and AVENGERS 1 was a summoning via portal and not really anyone actually coming to Earth.

AVENGERS 1 said it, we were evolutionarily babbys and so no one out there cared until the Infinity Stone started broadcasting that we're interesting to gently caress with now hence Thanos gathering the goods for his lone Michael Jackson sparkle glove.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

The Alien is good in the comics, but requires way too much set up to do it justice.

Not really. Felt very much in-line with what Ronald Reagan said, roughly, that world peace would require a threat from outside the world. It fit completely with my reading of the book, motifs I was picking up on. All it would require is a character saying something to the same effect.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

They were like action movies. Except the action is broken up by incredibly old men repeating themselves over and over about ideals, and then you get to the action but its bad is matched only by the acting from the miscast majority. Wolverine's being torn apart and healing at the climax of X3 was a far more human moment than featured in either of the first two films. Further, it took until FIRST CLASS for the villain of the series, Magneto, to arrive as previously the character called Magneto was actually a geriatric Magnet Man.

They are so bad.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

That joke still makes no sense

He was saying Sony so desperately wants to be Marvel that they won't actually make a movie starring a woman, which makes perfect sense as it was said. You having no reading comprehension is the issue.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

But Silver Sable is a woman

It would have made sense if the announcement was about like I dunno The Prowler but they specifically called out one of the few notable female super people in the Spider-Man corner of the Marvel U

Legit, have you not been wearing your helmet when you go outside? Is this a troll?

Dude, did you read that one article about the Aunt May movie they totally are going to make? It's such a sure thing I already saw it. Awesome movie, I loved all four sequels too! Sony is the best, they make poo poo tons of female superhero movies.

Don't believe me? A website article mentioned Silver Sable and SHE IS A WOMAN!!!

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

But I mean it's not like this has been a rumor since the email hack or anything, it's exactly as ludicrous as the idea of an Aunt May movie, you're right, and also not an rear end in a top hat
Literally The Worst?

Basing the validity of anything on rumors is tremendously telling. Sony turning over every Spider-Man rock to see what in the world could make money means nothing, proves only that female characters exist within Spider-Man stories. They have ideas for all of them, and the men too. #Whoa

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Sir Potato posted:

I'm not entirely sure how you manage to write a review of Sin City 2 and not bring up even once how absolutely amazing Eva Green is in it, but here it is, I guess. Any scene without her is just garbage.

A couple nights ago I thought no matter how it was, I would have a great time watching it. Nope, utterly confounding film of bad acting and worse green screen severely highlighted by the 3D I was viewing it in. I mean, running in place? Holy moly. Eva was the only interesting and not-dire thing happening, truly.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I liked Rorschach a lot. He was victim to his negative qualities as any person was a consequence of that world but he never seemed to accept or find complacency in his circumstance. Instead, he was the lone person so driven as to hunt down the thing that was killing them, a literal death but to him also seemingly representative of all the nasty things that happened to and turned the heroes into what they were.

It's been years since I read it, and I compulsively advocate for the devil, but he seemed, ultimately, to be the person seeking redemption while most everyone else scratched their heads.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Kurzon posted:

But that's ignoring the resources and support that a police department can provide. What makes Bruce Wayne hate the system?

Pretty sure in one of the original flavor origins Bruce joins the FBI but quits a couple or few months in because all he learned was procedures and rules where his interest lied in catching criminals and saving people. He saw it as what he wanted to do but severely handicapped and passionless and so he left to do things his way.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Yes, he is. I also appreciate that for the first time in memory "antisocial" is used correctly. Sad that gets me.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

This comment on that article is a hell of a thing

I like AGENTS most of all Marvel's offerings :shrug: It moves between thematically light and heavy, goes to some very weird places, and things happen constantly.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Harlock posted:

The Justice League teaser definitely screams, "we're like a Marvel movie now, please like us"

More like Zack Snyder already demolished Marvel playing by his own rules, and now he's going to obliterate them at their own game :smuggo:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Burkion posted:

Nah, Lex was all in on the suicide pact.

Whether Superman lived or died, Doomsday was coming.

My interpretation was that Lex fully expected Superman to kill Batman, instantly exonerating him from Doomsday's creation. What we don't know is if Lex had any type of control, fail-safe, or if Doomsday was loyal to Lex, tho I'd argue "yes" based on the fact of Doomsday's instantly going after Superman and not at all going after Lex. He seemed to understand his purpose and who his master was and if so, it's possible he would have settled into a role of being Lex's dragon as opposed to rampaging endlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

https://youtu.be/DRCdvnz-wss

I don't see the punch as being at Lex. He and Superman are standing inline, Lex closer, Doomsday roars and punches toward Superman who seems to be ready and advancing, Lex flinches because ofc a person would. If that was Superman saving his enemy, the movie didn't express that well at all.

• Locked thread