Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So this weekend I finally got around to reading Hickman's FF run and as someone who hadn't really read any FF I actually really got into it. But the reason I'm posting about it is the memorial for Johnny issue and the scene where Thor and Hulk take Ben out to the desert so Ben can let out his anger on them, plus the way Hickman was able to do it without any dialogue, kinda got me in the feefees a little, which I'd say is an accomplishment since I had no prior emotional investment in the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hasn't Xavier dying been a gimmick since like the 80s

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Going by that he died a bunch of times!

Which reminds me, I got a kick outta the negative zone insects demanding free elections and voting anniulus back in lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Squizzle posted:

Twice a year, the managing editor for the X-office flips a coin four times to determine if Xavier spends the next six months alive or dead, with the X-men or off to find himself, paraplegic or ambulatory, and powered or powerless.

Ah, the star trek style of plotting.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

They say as much in the book.

Oh yeah I know, I wasn't disagreeing with you.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Stop agreeing with me!

:ohdear:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Continuing my campaign of stuff I should've read last year, I slammed through all of Alias last night and it was really good. Compared to the JJ show it was cool seeing her actually just work on random cases.

Kinda makes me respect JJ even more now, since they managed to get a whole 13 hour season out of what ended up being just a 4 issue arc.

One thing I wondered about that I wish I had taken a screen of since I can't remember the issue, it seemed as if in her time as Jewel she may have ran into Thor after he did... something to a woman, which is sketchy af.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Squizzle posted:

A little child believed in him and told him to be Captain America again, and the strength of that child's naïve wish gave him back his Super Soldier juices.

Also the child was a cosmic cube, in girl shape—a cosmic kid, if you will.

Is avengers alliance a crossover from other books then?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just read through the new ultimates books and I'm really digging the high concept cosmic stuff it's doing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
After reading some squirrel girl i wanted to read some more funny meta stuff so I picked up Gwenpool even though I don't read any of the spider or deadpool books and I actually ended up really liking it. I normally would think the art would be kinda too cartoony for my taste but it fits the tone of the book well. I guess she's a brand new character and I know nothing about the writer so hopefully it'll stay good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cool I'll check out Hellcat and Howard!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Onslaught

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Marvel Knights began in 1998. The rise of the era of Joe Q and "Modern Marvel."

Dang :argh:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I like the art in squirrel girl. Suits the ridiculousness of the book real well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Eternity got a crazy suit goin on there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Are there any books that are within the MCU?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

No. They occasionally publish some garbage tie ins but they usually end up being contradicted by later films.

Okay, thanks. I figured as much, but I'm slowly going through all the movies before civil war comes out and it seemed worth checking on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

I can assure you, all the MCU comics Marvel has published are universally trash and that's including the Captain America one shot from last week.

I will make sure to avoid them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The top piece reminds me of the scarlet witch's head gear thing.

The bottom reminds me of cap's shield.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wanderer posted:

Is it wrong that I kinda want it to be a black female queer agender handicapped Quasar, just to see some of the usual suspects combust with rage?

Nope

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ultimates was sweet. Al Ewing is definitely carrying the Hickman high-concept torch.

And I am officially rad at being squirrel girl!

site fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 27, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Perhaps I am using the term incorrectly then, I mean like the story taking place on a really high level cosmically, or whatever. It's dealing with outside the universe and the nature of reality itself. If that makes any more sense.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

NmareBfly posted:

Wow, I apparently had no idea what that phrase meant. I always assumed it meant highfalutin' heady stuff that at least has the pretension of being thought-provoking or meaningful. Turns out it's kinda the opposite. Welp.

Yeah, I was under this impression as well.

Whoops!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wiccan probably does

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The most upsetting thing in marvel last week was seeing gurihiru is no longer doing the art in gwenpool

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay so I got curious and checked the marvel site and it does have Gurihiru listed as the artist for the next two issues so maybe it was just a guest artist

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Aikku the woman inside survived, but POD the symbiotic personality died saving her

Efb

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh this issue of captain marvel feels like it should've come out before cw2 issue 4 and not a month afterwards

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm waiting for Galactus to show up and be like didn't i just tell you idiots like 5 issues ago to not be messing with time what are you doing

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
He ages super slowly or at least he looks middle aged at year 50000 or whatever it was in avengers

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Xinder posted:

Wait that's an actual established thing about his character? I thought they were just using weird comic book liquid time where the world gets progressively more modern but nobody ever gets any older except when sometimes they do.

Actually thinking about it he may just look however he wants cuz there's that scene in ff i think where he's talking with Galactus at the heat death of the universe and I don't remember him looking super old

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

redbackground posted:

AFAIK, she has not been seen since Secret Wars ended.

I wanna say i saw her briefly in something soon after sw ended, like an avengers book or something, but i could be wrong

Toxxupation posted:

Franklin and especially Valeria Richards both rule and you should absolutely, at the bare minimum, read Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run considering it's probably the best run of comics that Marvel has put out this century.

Young Valeria is awesome but i kinda got the impression that upgrading Lunella to smartest person in the marvel u means that we won't be seeing V return any time soon

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If it's coming after IvX Mutants Unleashed

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

The uncolored early preview of that art made me want to pick the series back up.
Then I forgot about it.

e: ya

I couldn't remember what issue y'all were talking about until fansub posted this, but I actually liked this issue including the art which I thought fit Patsy just fine.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They would've done that in secret wars

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Squizzle posted:

It only seems off to me because why not use one of the other Hyperions already running around the Marvel universe? And the obvious answers are that Hickman's story wanted an incursion refugee there, and the other Hyperions all have some baggage.

But even factoring with that, if you told me that it was originally planned as Miracleman in that roll, it'd make a whole lot of sense to me.

Weren't all the previous incarnations of Hyperion villains? It seems to me it would just be easier to grab an alternate u good guy version at that point.

Tbh I'd rather just see the miracleman u that already exists get more issues. I was reading the reprints marvel did last year (?) and just the stories about the people living in that place were cool, so was the art. Plus wasn't he kind of an rear end in a top hat dictator by the end? I guess they could've made him a bad guy or something, but it would be weird to bring him in as a hero.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

That is the plan, Gaiman and Buckingham are going to complete their run at some point in the near future. I don't remember how much Neil said he had planned but I think he said the original book would run to #36?

This sounds good in theory but it's been long enough that I'll believe it when I see it :(

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Well the last issue of the reissue series reprinted the original #19 so there's 5 finished issues ready to go as well as #25 that was written, penciled and inked 20 years ago. Buckingham said he was ready to tear into the series when Fables ended and that was over a year ago. Something is clearly up since the reprints have gone on hiatus.

Hmmm my completely baseless guess would be that they're holding off on putting out the rest of what they got till Gaiman actually sits down to start writing the last issues.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Once issue 4 came out and Carol was well on her way to totalitarian shitbag I'm not really interested in the story itself so much as curious as to how bendis and/or the capt marvel creative team is gonna try and salvage her character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

twistedmentat posted:

Ultimate Rebirth. : we promise Wanda and Pietro aren't going to gently caress this time.

The AN Wolverine Annual is pretty adorable Laura and Gwen switch bodies, and hilarity ensues with them trying to figure out how to operate each other bodies, with the healing and the claws and the super strength and webs

Okay, just now getting to this and Gwen accidentally killing herself with Laura's claws was pretty funny.

Tato posted:

Yeah, I've actually read quite a bit of the tie-ins and every one that isn't Captain Marvel makes me detest her as a character more and more. It's really a remarkable bit of character assassination, I can't fathom how anyone at Marvel thought she would come off well in this.

It is kinda weird that (it feels like) marvel has been building up Carol as like the superheroine of the mu and they decided to just throw all that away. I wonder what brought them to the decision to use her of all people.

• Locked thread