Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

Honestly the lead up is more of a mess than the end. The last 5 issues is much better paced.

Remender's Marvel work had pacing issues all over the place, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

loving finally, I was worried when this thread made it six pages without a good old fashioned BSS pissing match.

Did you already forget the callout/response from the first page? The piss, it is everywhere.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

Let's discuss comics again.

Songbird secret shield agent is a major bummer. I'm hoping it's a red herring and she'd actually rather be an [new] Avenger than be a mole for Shield who she should have more or less no allegiance to.

Honestly I think if anyone knows the value of "pretend to be working for The Man to keep an eye on ex-villains in order to give those ex-villains the chance to redeem themselves" it'd be the ex-Thunderbolt.

Hell, she learned it from watching Hawkeye, after all.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, but the group is literally made up of people who are objectively good, save Songbird. Is SHIELD really worried about Squirrel Girl, White Tiger, Wiccan, Hulkling and Sunspot, all people with histories that are nothing but positive?

Beyond all the "here is why SHIELD might be suspicious of the individual team members" they're also running loving AIM.

I mean, if the ten best dudes you know all got together and took over the KKK, even if you know all ten of them are great dudes who would never do anything wrong or hateful, you still have to be concerned about the thousand dudes standing behind them in white robes saying "sure, boss, you betcha, no more hate, nothing but charity work and soup kitchens from now on, you got it!"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

There's no way Doom's mask allows for him to eat pizza, so he doesn't see the need for it.

Doom would invent some kind of molecular phasing device to allow the pizza to pass through his mask without having to open it. Not even Doom can resist a good slice.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Doom went to college in New York City. He's not gonna touch that casserole that Chicagoans insist on calling pizza.

He probably found one favorite pizza joint on the corner while he was at school, and has since built an exact replica of that pizza place in Latveria, run by Doombots.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

And right after that he can relaunch Exiles.

"Exiles" is a funny way to spell "Agents of ATLAS." :colbert:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I believe that Leah actually expressly notes that "her" Illyana is lost in the final issue of Angela.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Captain A-Gwen-ica?

Captain Amerigwen?

Capgwen America!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

In less depressing Civil War news, Contest of Champions is the best book you're not reading.

This is truth. Wonderful, fun book.

Yvonmukluk posted:

In more depressing news, it's getting cancelled. I blame all of you. :argh:

God DAMMIT

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

I thought Annihilus was kind of an okay dude now. He helped during the Builders invasion. :saddowns:

"I don't want to get killed so I will fight alongside the other people that don't want to get killed" is a long, long ways from "a good guy now."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Let's see if I can remember. They were on the moon during Silent War, then Hulk showed up and beat the poo poo out of fake Black Bolt, then secret invasion happened and real Black Bolt returned. Then something something and the Inhumans went to the Kree homeworld to rule them because the Kree were so desperate for some guidance that they decided that was a good plan. Then Hickman had some dumb prophecy bullshit make Black Bolt and the inhumans up and leave, murdering a guy who was like "Hey why are you leaving us after becoming our ruler? It's kinda rude." and we were supposed to think that was cool instead of really mean.

Then the buildup to Secret Wars happened and I took my eye off the Inhumans and now Black Bolt runs a nightclub.

After the Inhumans returned to Earth, Black Bolt was part of the New Avengers/Illuminati dealing with the incursions; when Infinity happened and Thanos came to gently caress up Earth, he had a special mad-on for the Inhumans because his kid, Thane, was apparently an Inhuman (one of a hideaway group of Inhumans that didn't live on Attilan; this is the first we'd seen of any such groups, AFAIK). So Thanos came to gently caress up Attilan and Black Bolt, as a combination "gently caress you Thanos" and "let's make sure the Inhumans don't all die out here" got Maximus to help him blow up Attilan in such a way that the Terrigen Mists were dispersed throughout the world (apparently there is even now a big ol' cloud of Terrigen swirling around despite the fact that it really should have dispersed by now, but hey, comics) so isolated inhumans throughout the world, even people with dormant inhuman genes that they never knew they possessed, suddenly underwent Terrigenesis.

(this is how we get Kamala Khan, which makes it all worth it)

Then Secret Wars happened and there was a timeskip. Black Bolt is no longer King of the Inhumans. Instead he runs a nightclub.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

So what would you guys consider your personal must read marvel runs/arcs? Trying to expand my awareness.

Walt Simonson's THOR.

Go loving read Walt Simonson's Thor run if you have not already done so. Do it now.

NOW

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

SilverSupernova posted:

Where was this?

Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat #7. It is amazing.

If you people aren't reading Patsy Walker you have made a grievous error in judgement.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

...where the gently caress is Tom even getting Avengers yaoi doujinshi?

Do you honestly believe they'd be in short supply in the Marvel universe?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

What happens. Dropped Uncanny Inhumans a couple issues ago because I read too many books.

Reader gets his dog back.

Also, Reader is badass. And... wow, stupidly powerful.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

IMHO the notion that "Vision is a robot obsessed with the idea of family" is somehow untrue to the character's entire publication history is loving laughable.

"Family" is the throughline for basically every Vision story. Ultron's his "father," Wonder Man is his "brother," it's always been about family with him. He builds a new robot family because every time he tries making an actual family it gets all hosed up because he is a robot and cannot have nice things, and also because he doesn't quite grok that "all hosed up" is the default state of basically any family in human history. He wants a Norman Rockwell painting and can't have it but because he's a creature of logic he simply decides that he must not have done it right last time so he'll do better this time, because the problem is clearly with his family and not with his own flawed understanding of what family means.

Every good Vision story - every Vision story that I can remember, whether good or not - revolved around family to some degree, be it his relationship with Wanda, his relationship with Simon, his relationship with Ultron, et cetera. Stripping away the accumulated familial dross and trying to start from scratch with a built-to-order family instead isn't ignoring the character's history; it's the culmination of it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

X-O posted:

It looks to have been redesigned a little, but that's definitely not Jarnbjorn.

A little? It sure as heck ain't this thing either:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I don't believe that one either, no. The landscape would certainly be different but I somehow doubt that every comic publisher worldwide and also webcomics would suddenly cease to exist if not for Marvel alone.

Like yes, Stan Lee deserves a lot of credit, but "if not for Stan Lee comics would cease to exist" as if the idea of published drawn fictional stories suddenly wouldn't exist is goddamn silly.

I like that you think webcomics would be strong if comics largely cease to be before the Internet is even a thing. Which is what happens if there's no Stan Lee.

Like, don't get me wrong, I think comics would still be in existence if not for Lee, but they'd have nowhere near the cultural cachet they had even back in the 80s (which was, like, not a lot). They'd be a niche hobby among niche hobbies. They'd be the guys at the gaming convention off in a corner playing Avalon Hill wargames while everyone else is watching the trailer for the new Call of Duty. A vast amount of the innovation and growth of comics as a medium in the US stemmed from the interplay between Marvel and DC as each tried to outdo the other, and without that, the medium stagnates and dies.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Nilbop posted:

I really like that time but...

Am I the only one who really, really, really, really hates Ultimate Thor's hammer?

Why can't we just have Odinson rock around with his Destroyer arm, kickass axe and crazy Tetsuo cloak? Isn't that badass enough? He's more vulnerable without the hammer, it differentiates Jane from him even more, and the hammer just looks silly, especially when you've already got an axe like, right there!

I suspect he's gonna try and lift the Ultimjolnir and fail. I mean, the book is called the Unworthy Thor, and presumably Ultimjolnir still has a worthiness test.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

Girl With Enemies Now Presides Over Organized Losers

Girl Who Every Nerd Prefers Over Other Ladies

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Took me a bit to get the finale of Contest of Champions.

I think the last time I was this mad about a comic getting cut down so quickly was Matt Fraction's The Order. God drat was that an excellent book. Not a good book considering it was a mobile video game tie-in - just a drat good book, period.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Also consider his novel, A Once Crowded Sky, as it is very, very good.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I haven't been in the comics game as long as everyone else, but I've always understood Quicksilver to be a guy who's kind of an rear end in a top hat but a well-meaning one and one who has a soft spot for family. SW #9 basically made him into a giant borderline-evil prick for the purpose of giving Wanda her moment to be a strong independent woman who don't need no man and let her kick his rear end. It's just disappointing, and kinda sad since I liked the last issue. But I think I'm done with Scarlett Witch, even if it does have pretty covers.

Eh... I mean, that is Quicksilver, and yet... he's tough, because Pietro is one of those dudes where if you look at his history from one angle he's a well-meaning rear end in a top hat and if you look at it from another he's a selfish, sociopathic prick. Like, House of M? His idea, apparently. Stealing the Terrigen crystals from Attilan to replace his lost powers and then kinda causing the U.S. Army to attack the Inhumans, that was sort of a dick move. Dude's gone villain a whole bunch of times - one of my earliest comics was an Avengers Annual where he turns out to be leading a new Zodiac for some reason. So he's always been a jerk, but is he a good guy at heart who sometimes acts bad, or a self-centered prick at heart who sometimes acts good? You can make a case either way, really.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Spidey isn't supposed to be able to sense Carnage!

Clearly he senses the Silver Sufer, whose Power Cosmic is too great to be masked by Carnage's anti-Spider-Sense powers

give me my loving No-Prize

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Wanderer posted:

I bet Al Ewing could do something interesting with Lionheart, but she's working at a substantial handicap.

She showed up and got to be kinda interesting in, IIRC, Captain Britain and MI-13.

Al Ewing would do great with her, but Paul Cornell got there first.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dario the Wop posted:

Didn't know that, but it's yet another reason I want to read it. Everything I've read about that series seems wonderful.

I loved it, which of course means that no one actually bought the loving thing and it died far too soon.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Starsnostars posted:

Did she? I honestly don't remember Lionheart appearing at all in Cap Britain and MI-13.

Upon doing some checking I can only find mention of her appearing in New Excalibur. I suppose it's possible I got my mental wires crossed but I don't see how considering that I didn't read New Excalibur. Huh.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Dirk Anger probably wasn't real or if he was, he was part of the Beyond Corporation hive-being thing

Zombie Dirk Anger was in, IIRC, Star-Lord.

...okay, so it wasn't a huge part.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I'm beginning to think Lurdiak might not like Hickman.

Really? But his posts are so calm and understated!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I thought Lang was already dead?

Also young Cyclops suuuuucks.

No, he's in jail, not dead.

E:

Rhyno posted:

Huh. Part 3: Inhumans/X-Men: ResurrXion. So that's either Xavier or Wolverine.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 2, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

My belief is that Squirrel Girl is good and cool and that's my argument.

Waffleman_ is hereby awarded the first annual BSS Debate Society Championship.

For being correct.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Now I gotta figure out what the read with these other 28 days of Unlimited.

Is Walt Simonson's run on Thor available? If so, Walt Simonson's run on Thor.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

X-O posted:

It's a good book, but it's way overrated.

No it's actually just that drat good

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Kamala is Velma, Miles is Shaggy, Sam is Daphne, and Young Cyclops is Fred

Lunella can't be there because she'd solve the mystery in three panels, and also it's a school night

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

X-O posted:

Writing for sure. At the time Ron Lim was doing a lot of the art on that stuff like Infinity Gauntlet and Silver Surfer. I was really young when that stuff came out so I didn't know his name at the time, but because I read those books over and over again for years when I finally got to be like 13 or 14 I took notice of who it was writing the books I liked most. Even then though it was a few more years before I started looking more at writers than anything. Art never really moved me one way or the other even in the art-driven '90s that I grew up in.

Ron Lim was actually one of the first comics artist I actually Noticed (tm); I really liked the kind of square-jawed heroism he managed to infuse his characters with, and of course his Thanos looked amazing.

But for me it was the writing that caught my attention. I could handle good writing with bad art, but bad writing meant I'd drop a book in a heartbeat even if it looked beautiful.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Shawn posted:

There was also a Family Keep. It seriously hit every stereotype.

With attendant leprechauns.

No, really.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

You know she had the thickest imaginable Bostonian accent, but thousands in diction lessons, she's got what is normally called a Mid Atlantic accent, which is the accent rich women on the Simpsons tend to have.

Nah, Emma came from money. I'm betting she started out with the old-school Boston brahmin accent - which I think is fundamentally the same as the Mid Atlantic but I can't be arsed to check right now.

She didn't grow up in Southie or anything.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I thought at one point Hank was like a high school football star or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

Not exactly sure why Minnesota gets Quake, but she seems like a pretty good hero to have. Certainly better than Montana or Missouri.

Is the Two-Gun Kid literally just a guy with two guns?

He has the powers of being an Actual Cowboy, which is pretty cool.

• Locked thread