Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Geez, the more I hear about this event the more glad I am I'm only reading the Spider Woman and Power Man/Iron Fist tie ins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Hmm.

So back when there was a brouhaha over Steve Rogers being a HYDRA Nazi sleeper agent because of cosmic cube shenanigans, I made a comment about how the comic writers shouldn't have done such and such because of the outrage it engendered. A bunch of people, including X-O, told me how stupid that was, and I didn't agree at the time. But now I want to say I'm sorry because you were all right and I was very wrong.

Anyway this has nothing to do with anything but I'm a semi-regular poster in this thread now and it's important to own up to your mistakes. Everyone can go back to their regularly scheduled programming.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

If Dirty Harry 2 could kill dirty cops I don't know why Marvel's so loving scared of doing it today.

Fear, uncertainty and doubt?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

What did she say? I don't even recall anything bad happening last issue, beyond the standard CW2 stuff of Carol being all gung-ho about precrime and Medusa being a bitch, but, well, Medusa, so... And it had Elsa Bloodstone.

Watching it now, and she's shredding it because it interrupted the usual A-Force story with a tie-in to a story she doesn't care about.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

What an unbearably childish glorified temper tantrum. It was a great story with excellent art, but gently caress it because it's got modified trade dress to tie into an event which A-Force, quite frankly, desperately needed considering its physical sales numbers are not great, it's the worst thing ever or something? Are you loving serious?

Try watching the video first, jesus christ. Don't take my word for it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Someone posted a recommended Doc Strange reading list a few months ago, does anyone have the link to that? Alternately, does anyone have any Doc Strange recommendations?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Sure, but the complaint wasn't "The ninjas in DD were done badly", it was mostly "It makes no sense for ninjas to be in DD and it totally breaks immersion". I don't disagree that the ninjas in DD season 2 could've been handled better, at the very least.

things being handled badly can break immersion, and then people go THIS SHOULDN'T BE IN MY DAREDEVIL AUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

Anyway I wish people wrote better stories. The End.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Obviously I'm being sarcastic, but even then Morrison's arc for Scott is one of making him so wrapped up in his own perceived outwardly-facing image of an uptight repressed stick-in-the-rear end Goody McTwoShoes that it ends up killing his intimacy with Jean via self-fulfilling prophecy. I just found it especially humorous that Emma Frost - a woman ostensibly in his corner - made specific note that he thought dirty thoughts about his wife leading to their dead bedroom, like he's some sort of fuckin' Mormon.

Wasn't the whole point that Scott and Jean fell apart because they couldn't communicate anymore? Jean was distracted by her metamorphosis into the Phoenix and was forgetting human needs; Scott felt stifled and unable to grow after being trapped on the same role for decades, feeling like he has to do the same thing over and over until that collapsed in on itself.

They stopped talking to each other and even true love can't survive a couple that isn't trying anymore.

But okay blame it on sex.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Morrison takes old things and then puts them through a different prism. It makes things fascinating.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

Sam Wilson and Jane Foster had a whole romance storyline in All-New All-Different Avengers written by Mark Waid, so it's a lucky that Jason Aaron ignored that and stumbled upon using the same plot point in Mighty Thor, though it's entirely possible that Brian Michael Bendis rode his Harley into the Marvel offices and said "gently caress YOU, I'M PUTTING A THOR/CAP ROMANCE INTO AVENGERS" and the editors meekly replied "but you don't write Avengers anymore, it's Mark--" and then Bendis straight punched that editor in the face and said ALSO LET'S DO THAT IN THOR, BUT MAKE IT CONTRADICTORY I GUESS I DON'T GIVE HALF A gently caress and then put his cigarette out onto the editor's back and drove off, yelling ALSO I DON'T KNOW ANYONE'S REAL NAMES and immediately forgetting everything he wrote/'wrote' as a giant gently caress you to the fans.

Am I a bad person if I wish this really happened

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Seems like classic comic book art to me.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Ferrule posted:

Had this conversation too many times over the years.

I don't want any powers.

(so in this scenario, I'd run from the mists).

It's the whole "great power..." thing. I mean, if I suddenly gained invulnerable skin or healing touch or flight or whatever, I'd lie awake at night feeling guilty I wasn't helping others every waking moment. And yeah, you could be a villain. But you'd lie awake at night wondering about your next caper and if there's a counter to you out there (nature finds a way, etc).

Too much pressure. Pass.

- Foggy Nelson

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Must confess, as someone who doesn't really read monthlies, the way series seem to stop and start so much puts me off a bit. You know, I'm reluctant about starting a series if it's not likely to have much in the way of longevity and it's just going to restart in a year. That said, I'm hardly a "new reader" in the sense I'm someone who doesn't read comics at all, so :shrug:

It's definitely a different experience from reading old comics. Working my way through MU back catalogue, I'm struck at how readable all the single issues are even when the language gets hokey. Every issue is a tiny adventure and you can pick it up and put it down as you like without missing much.

Modern comics all seem to suffer :lost: syndrome where every author is trying to build up a gigantic mystery to hook the audience with. Except now that everyone is doing it, it's boring.

Now every book that isn't a comedy is a similar smeary shade of weary brown and gray "story telling" with fast quips, 8 pages of reaction shots and nothing happening, and constant allusions to Big Conspiracies Behind the Scenes without making those conspiracies interesting and only having a Big Reveal in the second to last book that's supposed to be !!shocking!! and set up a movie blockbuster style fight. Out of all the books that ape this trend, Vision is the only one that stands out since it has an actual thesis to assert. The rest of the books I've been reading just meander throughout the trappings of serialized storytelling but the authors clearly have no idea what stories they want to tell and it shows in how slow everything feels. They have no clear ideas they're trying to communicate, they're just writing bad fanfiction.

:lost: style storytelling isn't shocking when everyone from the Punisher to the X-Men are doing it.

For example, I compare Soule's Daredevil to Waid's Daredevil, and while Soule finally seems to be settling into things, Waid knocked it out of the park in the first issue with quick action, solid, well told stories that had clear ideals and theses through out, vibrant characterization, and an overarching background plot that didn't overstay its welcome. (At least in the first arc.)

Meanwhile Soule is running purely on plot gimmicks and good art that's provided to him. That might be changing with the Inhuman stuff that's been introduced but I'm not counting on it.

I feel like this is indicative of Marvel's more serious books as a whole. The self contained adventures that played fast and loose with continuity and only aspired to be pulpy fun actually added to the longevity of each character and series, at least in my opinion. They were clear cut and concise, they were lithe story telling that got in and out with little fuss and without twisting characters and continuity around to fit into a preconceived paradigm. When I read old Daredevil or Spider-Man stories they almost read like little clockwork plots, like the authors wound up their toys and let them go where they wished, because their characters were strong enough to carry even the most absurd stories with sincerity.

No wonder people are getting burned out on stuff.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I guess it's because that was just easier for Lee and Kirby and Ditko and the rest to plot it that way when they had to do something like 20 comics a month between them in the 1960s, then in the 1970s they kept doing it that way because there was no incentive to change, then when you got guys like Claremont coming in and doing longer stories with more foreshadowing and callbacks, it was coincident with Shooter as editor-in-chief maintaining this strict rule that every individual issue - even those which were part of a larger arc - had to function as a story in its own right introducing and resolving its own conflict.

I'm not sure when (to use your own description of it) :lost: style storytelling came into vogue - I know people will point to Bendis but I feel like it must surely have predated him.

To continue this conversation, I don't know much about comic history but I think Claremont got the ball rolling at Marvel when he took a series and elevated it with story arcs. Bendis took this to its natural conclusion and gave us this "decompressed" style that's so popular now.

The difference I feel is that Claremont mixed in the longer story arcs with the Lee/Ditko style short stories so you never have to wait long for a change of pace. (He also understood the use of foreshadowing and how to place a Chekov's Gun, an art that has never been mastered by mainstream comic book dickery. Everything is a post-modern wink and nod with the author pointing at some obvious foreshadowing and exclaiming "what could that be???? *yoinkyoinkyoink!*") Part of that was the experimental nature of what he was doing but it also keeps things invigorated and interesting, even going back and reading them today.

I dunno. There's a lot of frustration with mainstream entertainment right now, and I think comic books have the same problem everyone else does. They've copied their betters so much that they don't know how to tell stories anymore and they don't know how to keep their stable of characters fleshed out and interesting (with some exceptions.)

What makes it even more frustrating is how they insist on using elements from the :lost: story style without understanding what made them entertaining.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Part of the problem is that comic writers, though they possess great enthusiasm for the subject, don't write romance very well no matter what the character's sexuality is. (That's speaking broadly of course, individual writers break the trend here and there.)

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
To be fair, relying on gimmicks has always been the death knell for a character. If you want to imbue characters with those qualities than you need to use them well, not slap them on the character and expect people to flock to them.

An example of how this is well done is Kamala Khan. An example of how this has not been done all that well is Iceman, because no one has managed to make him a character you can give a poo poo about outside the hardcore fans.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

i've started to read the entire ultimate universe line. boy elektra, daredevil, and the iron man mini series are all absolute poo poo.

please tell me when you get to the Avengers storyline where Captain America taunts the Hulk. I want to see the reaction.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Social media was a mistake.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

No no, Nick Spencer led a movement to drive a black club out of his white neighbourhood because it was attracting "the wrong kind of people". He's definitely a racist.

:stare:

jfc what?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

galagazombie posted:

I know comic civilians (especially Marvel's) have memories so short they would make a Goldfish blush, but after Secret Empire finishes up is everyone just gonna go back to normal like nothing happened after a Nazi wizard cult ran the country for several months or California seceded and was run as a mutant supremacist state? The obvious answer is they'll just reset the universe/mindwipe everyone again but they've done that so much lately it's getting ridiculous to be invested in any story when they say it was the equivalent of "All A Dream" anytime something of consequence happens.

Steve will just wake up after a horrible nightmare as Sharon Carter gets out of the shower.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Gatts posted:

Monumental retardation. so Cap dies yet again and we get new "A does not stand for France!" Cap. Now I officially don't like Spencer and if true it's brining his lovely personal POV into things. gently caress em.

wtf is happening to Marvel comics

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

X-O posted:

Well, not what you quoted. I'm not sure what that guy is reading.

tbf replacing Nazi Cap with shouty homophobic Cap sounds like something that would come out of the Secret Empire brain trust

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Rhyno posted:

It's a shame the AOL chatlogs are lost to time. There were plenty of creators who frequented those rooms who were absolute monsters.

:dogbutton:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Ms Marvel got popular because the adventures started small and were relatable which endeared the character to the audience. Captain Marvel's problem is that they don't do anything to introduce the character to the audience at all.

The last time I picked up a Captain Marvel #1 was where she started out macking on some boyfriend I didn't know and then left to go stir up trouble in some nearby galaxy or something. I still have no idea what was going on or why I should have cared about what this person was doing. It sucked. That is not the way to tell a story.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Lobok posted:

There are a lot of characters obviously that were created and formed in those Silver Age Daredevil comics but it seems like pre-Miller is just totally neglected. I never see it mentioned anywhere. Is it even collected? It's like oh yeah, Daredevil and Black Widow used to share a title!

When I read those issues I found a lot of groundwork for the defining stuff during the Miller era. But otherwise it's just kind of, generic. Not bad but there really wasn't a voice for Matt, just a series of impressive tricks. No one developed him as a character until Miller.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Rick posted:

I honestly don't even know what I want out of Spider-Man anymore. I liked the status quo of the marriage, but also enjoyed the world post that as well, for the most part (I think I got pretty annoyed when they did all that work to establish people couldn't learn his secret identity and then blew it away for a storyline that ultimately went nowhere). I ended up catching Sinister on Unlimited, enjoyed his stop over in the X-World and really enjoyed it, but actually haven't been interested at all since Peter came back. Which really isn't that weird, my Spider-Man interest as always ebbed and flowed. Actually I think I would rather he just hang out with the X-men for a while if I had to pick, there's a lot that could be done there.

If you build it they will come. The audience responds to good and interesting stories. Everything you listed in relation to Spider Man are gimmicks, not story telling, so you're probably just tired of everything hinging on the new gimmick the marketing team came up with.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Bendis tackles Dan Slott into a volcano on his way out, saving us all and proving himself a real human being and a real hero all along

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Why does he have any business gloating about this, he was an editor at Marvel in the 00s, probbaly knew about it and did absolutely nothing.

Delusions are a hell of a thing

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Scout for quality writers and pay for good artistry. Hire good editors that aren't caught in the incestuous cic circlejerk.

This is difficult because quality artists are hard to find but that's what they need to do.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Maybe Marvel is scared of ~the Trump curse~

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I heard Dan Slott is leaving Spider Man, is that true or did twitter journalists lie to me again?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Onmi posted:

The "Most harrowing Spider-Man story for last."

The behind the scenes drama would be much more interesting than this I'm sure.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

The list of restrictions doesn't surprise me but Jesus H Christ actually stealing stories from fans without even compensating them anything?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Rochallor posted:

The title is ludicrously sensationalist, which the article even cops to in the body. It sounds like a standard cover-their-rear end disclaimer, so if Al Ewing writes a story where Storm throws Thanos a birthday party some guy can't go, "UHH, you totally stole that idea from my custom panel!"

The list of restrictions is ludicrous, but hey, it's Disney, what did you expect.

i went over the language included in the article:

“The perpetual, irrevocable, exclusive, royalty-free and fully transferable and sub-licensable right, for the full term of copyright protection available (including renewal terms), to use, [etcetcetc] make available, and otherwise exploit, in whole or in part, in all languages, anywhere in the world, by all means, [etcetcetc] in any number of copies and without limit as to time, manner or frequency of use, without further notice to you, with or without attribution, and without the requirement of permission from or payment to you or any other person or entity"

So it is a CYA but to me it looks like they're claiming ownership of the stuff someone makes just in case :shrug:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Hello, I want to get Ann Nocenti's Daredevil run in collected form, what do I buy? thanks in advance.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

thank you!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Jane Foster's chemo being reversed by the hammer never made sense anyway because if it's doing that then the hammer should also reverse the metastasizing cells and restore her health since her healthy cells are the original state.

The cancer bit makes zero sense IMO.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

site posted:

Everyone looks like they hate having to be on camera, i learned nothing of value, but akiras performative enthusiasm has me amped. What does marvel have in store for us? House of inhumans? Age of wolverine? Secret invasion 2? Civil war 3?!

"no more marvel"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
captain america :: king

seems legit

• Locked thread