Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Alucard Nacirema posted:

"In the new 52 maybe we went too far with the art "

yea no kidding
It's like when Lucas saw the final cut of the Phantom Mencace for the first time.

'I may have gone too far in a few places'.

Also: What's going on with the new Batgirl creative team?

And where is Cassandra Cain in all of this?
Edit:Oh, I guess in Detective Comics? Although that costume looks like hot garbage compared to her Batgirl & Blackbat ones.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Who the hell is Liam Sharp?

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I guess this means the rumor on BC was true that writers were told their runs were cancelled just as they were arriving at the airport. I hope Rucka was one of them.
Man, why you gotta hate on Rucka?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Madkal posted:

Kind of sad to see the current creators on Batgirl aren't doing BoP seeing as that was what they were building up to all along.
Yeah, I mean if you were going to put them on a new book in the name of 'all-new creative teams', that was a freaking open goal! Are they just done with DC?

ElNarez posted:

he's an artist

as in "he's the one drawing the book and they haven't announced who's writing yet, calm down"
You'd have thought they would have actually got all this sorted before they set up this conference. Have any other books been announced so far that only has one half of the creative team listed?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Alucard Nacirema posted:

oh wtf WALLY WEST IS BLACK STILL???

Make a new black speedster if you want but give me back my WALLY

Let's be honest, replacing New Wally with Old Wally is motivated by the kind of thinking that got us into this mess in the first place.

RIP Original Wally West, sacrificed on the altar of Silver Age Nostalgia.

Here's hoping they can at least tell not poo poo stories with the New Wally. They eventually managed it with New 52 Batgirl, after all!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Barry is Silver Age. Wally represented the modern age 80s-00s.

They are only keeping wally black to promote the tv show.

Yes, that's my point. Wally got sacrificed to make Barry the One True Flash again. Replacing New Wally with Old Wally would just be appeasing a slightly different set of fanboys.

I wonder, though: will they ever address the fact Barry erased his own children & grandchilren from existence?

Edit: Beaten like Barry Allen should have been for Flashpoint.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, Ted Kord is coming back?

Oh HELL no, please tell me they're not just getting rid of Jaime Reyes outright. Or did they do that already?

Someone put Linkara on suicide watch.

Edit: I am a dum-dum, thankfully Jaime lives. Now if only they can roll back his entire New52 characterisation up to this point...

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 26, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Teenage Fansub posted:

Superwoman did

We just don't know who Superwoman is.

Kina looks like Lucy Lane's getup without the mask.

Any clues to the Birds of Prey lineup yet?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Darth Nat posted:

As in the characters? It's Batgirl, Black Canary, and Huntress.

Aw, no Cass or Steph?

Also, apparently Earth 2 & Gotham Academy are trucking on regardless of rebirth, according to Newsarama's liveblog of the press Q&A. Guess 'Earth 2 is now the post-Flashpoint Earth' rumour was wrong.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Darth Nat posted:

Cass and Steph are both on the Detective Comics team.
But that's not really a team, that's just the Batman Family. They can pull double duty! Plus I've not really been all that impressed with B&R Eternal.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I feel like DC is honeydicking me with that Blue Beetle book. On one hand I REALLY want a Ted Kord book by Keith Giffen but on the other I hate Jaime and I hate that if I purchase the book and help sales go up Didio can tell his bosses "see I told you people really like this jaime character we created!"
Why do you hate Jaime? He's awesome, and for the entire pre-Flashpoint run was nothing but respectful of Ted & his legacy. New 52 Jaime was awful, there's no denying that, but Jaime Prime? Awesome.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

If you listen carefully there was a lot of hints of REAL Wally coming back. When they talked about the Flash the writer mentioned some stuff spinning out of Rebirth and Geoff Was like "we can't talk about that because its a big spoiler" and then when they were talking about the Titans book Geoff and the writer said the same thing again. Also there was that silhouette in the teaser of someone in a Kid Flash style costume but they had spiky-ish hair not like the character they showed today.

Also from the Q&A with Geoff:
Oh for god's sake...you do realise if there's going to be any 'real' Kid Flash coming back, it'll be Bart, right? Not Wally? Beause there's no way they'd bring him back as Kid Flash. Unless they are willing to push Barry aside (not bloody likely with Geoff Johns running the show), Wally is not coming back. The best we can hope for is Wally getting a happy ending like Earth-2 Superman at the end of COIE. Which sucks, but the alternative is just doing the exact same thing DC did already - sacrificing a character to bring back one you prefer.

Edit:
Oh drat, looking at the press Q&A, it seems like Didio nearly did say Rebirth was 'The New 52 done right'. if not in those exact words. He's definitely stating there were fuckups. Although I'm not sure he wouldn't count the erasure of Oracle or the original Wally West in that.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 26, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I'm sorry I don't remember a half asian Barry Allen who's really good at math but has incredibly strict parents showing up and dicking around with Wally while he was The Flash. Tell me how this is the same situation.

The issue is replacing a new character with an old one to pander to fans is the exact same reason that Geoff Johns resurrected Barry & Hal in the first place. I don't like the new Wally and god knows I'd like to have the odl one back, but two wrongs don't make a right, here.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

I think everybody who's ever seen that map of Kamandi's world has wanted to try to make Kamandi a thing if only so they can write a story set in the Kangarat Murder Society.
If anyoe ever does that, there'd better be elements of Mad Max/Tank Girl pastiches involved, or they are Doing It Wrong.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, there is Rucka's Wonder Woman: Year One coming down the pipe, so we have that to look forward to.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

This solicits are loving with my mind
:psyduck: The one who loved WW was SuperBro, not pre FP Superdad.
It says 'the Woman who once loved him'. IE Wonder Woman loved Superman, not the other way around.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Picklepuss posted:

I know I'm a few years late on this, but does this fit with the kind of stuff Scott Lobdell writes? I was really put off by his version of Starfire, and it's hard to not make a connection if it's true:

http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/marinaomi-harassed-comics-panel

http://www.themarysue.com/scot-lobdell-sexual-harassment/

I guess not firing sexual harassers is a proud DC tradition.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SynthOrange posted:

Wait there's yet another Green Lantern? zzzzz

:agreed: Id care more if 'most boring man in the universe' Hal Jordan wasnt the anoited Chosen One of the GLC and hogging most of the limelight.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Is it me or are they apparently determined to eliminate all trace of red from Superman's costume except the cape?

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan. But then I guess I'm still bitter over them dumping the classic costume, underpants on the outside and all.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr Hootington posted:

If there is a superman who is pre-flashpoint running around, how hasn't he figured out the flashpoint junk and killed histories greatest monster Barry Allen?

Because shut up, that's why. Barry is The Greatest Hero That Ever Lived. :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

They should have rebranded to Action Comics after Crisis. :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So it's not a reboot...but it's a reboot.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I hope Dr. Manhattan kills Cyborg and Jamie Reyes once and for all. Two poo poo characters that Didio loves shoving in my face.

You and I are enemies now.

(But seriously, why would you hate Jaime? His New 52 stuff was garbage, but the original run & most of the adaptions have been excellent).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

X-O posted:

It's not a Titan graduation thing. It's a "from the beginning" thing. And there's several other good characters you can put into the Justice League to diversify them. John Stewart or Mister Terrific immediately jump to mind. And Mister Terrific also fills the exact same tech niche that Cyborg fills.

John Stewart? Are you implying that a Green Lantern other than HAL JORDAN, the Greatest Green Lantern, could even be fit to stand on the Justice League? HERESY! To the Phantom Zone with ye!

Gaz-L posted:

NO

NO

We are not going back to the Tim Drake/Stephanie Brown drama well. I just got over the PTSD from the Convergence mini.

I still weep uncontrollably when that is mentioned. Curse you.

Dammit, Gates of Gotham rather blatantly set up that Cass & Tim were going to be A Thing moving forward. I was wondering how they'd handle Steph reacting to her BFF dating her ex, but nope, Kwitney drunk the nostalgia kool-aid (it's not just for the Silver Age any more!) and went right back to the old status quo (despite Steph & Tim moving past it in their own books).

Wasn't the story titled something trite like 'the love song of Stephanie Brown'?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CapnAndy posted:

Clark being so jaded by the revolving door of death in comic books that he's just rolling his eyes at the whole thing is hilarious and I like it.

'Hey, I died and got better, he'll be just fine'.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The last page seems to tactically put shadows over his midsection. Are they trying to cover up that Clark isnt wearing his trunks of power over his costume any more? Because I think the cat is out of the bag on that one.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

You'd think they'd at least give them an 'and'.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Toxxupation posted:

There is literally no excuse that DC has for not doing recap pages, especially when they devote a good fifth to third of each issue to awkward-as-gently caress and overwrought recap-as-internal narration. Zero. None.

Oh wait, Marvel came up with the idea, so never mind I guess.

It's actually kind of baffling they haven't copied that, considering how much else they've tried to copy from them over the years.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Toxxupation posted:

I actually bought the hints of the Tim Drake/Harper relationship they were sorta laying a couple of seeds for before switching to Tim/Stephanie. Which makes sense considering how well Tim and Stephanie work as a couple and balance each other. I really dug the idea of Tim and Harper hooking up when they were kind of pushing their relationship in that direction. This opinion might be influenced by the fact that Bluebird's mask design is the raddest poo poo ever.

But yeah, I'm not even a huge fan of Dick and Barbara per se, it's more the fact that they're so very obviously the only relationship either is destined to be in (I never really bought the Robin/Starfire relationship) that it hangs a cloud over any time they're with anybody else because it's obviously temporary.

I think I am the only person on the planet who wanted to see Tim/Cass be A Thing after Snyder set it up in Gates of Gotham. Like, I get they're not going for it in the New 52/Rebirthed universe or whatever it's called now, but I'm mad after Convergence Batgirl ignored that in favour of yet more Tim/Steph shipping.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Die Laughing posted:

Rucka sounds like a dick for getting all pissy about some gorgeous variant covers. He must have gotten DC by the balls when they wanted him back for another go at Wonder Woman.
Well, yes, they've wanted him back for years. He's a critically acclaimed writer, including prior runs on Wonder Woman. He's a pretty big deal, to the point I think he actually got to override Bendis when he wanted to do a Cyclops book. If Marvel was willing to let him do that, then yeah, I can easily see DC letting him override Cho, who while is a good artist is a toxic PR issue. It's not like he was even the regular artist. This may sound like heresy, but a comic can do just fine without variant covers. If he was the regular artist, then yeah, there'd be a problem - but no way would those two ever be put on a book together as the regular creative team. Honestly putting Cho in any capacity on a Rucka was a stupid idea in the first place.

Wasn't one of the other conditions in Rucka's contract that Wonder Woman is no longer the remit of Eddie Berganza? That makes two awful people not working on Wondy any more because of Rucka. Good.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Roth posted:

At least she's being honest

Nobody could take that crown from Hal Jordan, even if they tried.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Roth posted:

I feel like only David Tennant can compete with Geoff Johns for the title of "fanboy who has had all of his dreams fulfilled"

Maybe Joe Quesada.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Are you joking me?

Damian Wayne, Batwoman, Agent Orange, Saint Walker, and just about every character Grant Morrison has cooked up in the last decade are all far superior to Jamie. Jamie just like with Jason Rusch and Ryan Choi was an attempt by Dan Didio to boost comic sales by getting a couple headlines talking about how DC is all about diversity. It was extremely forced.

Jaime. If you're going to diss him, at least spell his drat name right. Especially since literally everyone else in the thread has been doing it, so there's no excuse.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like he may actually think that's how it's pronounced and that it's a misspelling, instead of a different name.

A misspelling that everyone else in the thread was making?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

God I hate that they retconned the scarab back into magic after like two runs of the book focusing on the actual alien race that made it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Toxxupation posted:

Crossposting this from the Batman thread because I assume some of y'all would want to vote on this:

No Gates of Gotham, did not vote. :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Roth posted:

To be fair, the tie-ins for Convergence were rad as all hell.

You and I must have been reading very different tie-ins. Other than Rucka's Question, that was magnificent.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dario the Wop posted:

Then post a current pic.

Also, Damien Scott's work is clearly influenced by manga, why is that a bad thing? I enjoyed his work on Batgirl.

His work on Batgirl was amazing. I loved this issue of Solo he did with a story starring Cass & Tim in the future.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Madkal posted:

I might be remember this wrong, and I really don't care enough to look it up, but wasn't it Quesada who came up with the 90's Ray look?
Also I remember DC introducing lots of new "teen-relatable" characters in the 90's like Triumph, Damage, and Animus. Did any of those character actually catch on to wider appeal?

I don't think any of the new 'New Spider-Man' characters (because for the most part, that's what characters like these ultimately are, attempts to capture that lightning in the bottle) from either company ever really caught on until Jaime Blue Beetle, at least not any already tied into A-list characters like Impulse, Robin or Batgirl.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Jamie never really caught on. His books are consistently low sellers it's just that DC keeps wasting money giving him a big marketing push. SAD!

Kamala Khan and Miles were way bigger succes stories.

Whatever you say, Mr. Trump, but he's a drat sight more successful than The Ray.

Edit: Also it's Jaime, you'd think you could maybe spell it right by now given how much you go on about him.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm fairly certain Rucka would turn around and extend his contract solely to keep Cho away from the book if this is true. Maybe this was a negotiation tactic by DC - let Cho think he might be tapped to write Wondy after Rucka leaves, and then Rucka would go HELL NO and stay on longer?

I may be giving undue credit to DC.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, apparently it was petty internal politics due to DC announcing a book suspiciously similar to a pitch De Liz had been pushing for years written by some dude. And her and her husband going 'what the hell, guys'.

Meanwhile, serial sexual harrasser Eddie Bergenza is still employed by DC.

If there's any justice Marvel will drive up in a dump truck full of money and let De Liz write whatever she wants.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Question IRL posted:

Ah yes I remember that.

"Don't worry Cassandra. I have all the papers drawn up to adopt you and finally make you a part of this family that you have always wanted. I just need to take down these Black Glove losers first. Don't worry they are a complete bunch of push-overs.
I'll have that case wrapped up in two issues, tops. Then I'll sign all those papers.@

And he was never heard from again...

Jesus, even the one positive you could take from Adam Beechen's take on Cass got flushed down the shitter.

I really don't get why DC hates Cass so much (other than I guess NOT MUH BATGIRL).