Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Second DLC expansion. Released on March 28th 12AM local on console, and March 27th 9PM EST on Steam.
---------------------

First DLC expansion.
---------------------

...there's an inherent beauty that can be found within everything, beyond all the withering and decay. Also, thumbs up. - Hidetaka Miyazaki

:siren:Spoiler Policy: Use tags on anything that seems important. If you need help with a boss, spoiler tag everything but the first letter in each word. If you're coming from the early release thread, don't spoil poo poo for people:siren:

#FROMGOONS @ synirc.net for IRC
SA Discord group

Platforms: PC, PS4, XBone
Director: Hidetaka Miyazaki / Isamu Okano / Yui Tanimura
Release: March 24, 2016 (JP), April 12, 2016 (NA/EU)
PC Port Analysis by Durante

Dark Souls III is the capstone to FromSoftware's iconic dark fantasy action-RPG franchise known for intricately crafted levels, thick meaty combat, haunting atmospheres, complex lore told through the environment and NPC dialogue, replayability, and above all for providing a challenging but fair experience. The series is also well known for its unique tying of multiplayer elements, both active and passive, to what is fundamentally a single player experience. Active elements include summoning other players to aid you against the hordes of enemies you'll be facing as well as being unwittingly invaded by other players whose sole aim is to mercilessly slaughter you. Passive elements include player written messages bearing helpful (or harmful) advice and bloodstains that shows the last few moments of a player's life. And no longer constrained to the technical specifications of decade-old consoles, Dark Souls III is an absolutely stunning game with the series's typically wonderful aesthetics enhanced by higher fidelity, with truly "lived-in" environments and wonderful detail to every stone cobble or plank of wood.

Trailers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HIxuGi_2TQhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhxngUz6C3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5rljUBxfIEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zDZYrIUgKE

Stats & Classes
[VIG] Vigor: Hit points // !FROSTBITE!status resistance
[ATT] Attunement: Focus points (mana) & attunement slots (number of slots for equipping spells/miracles/pyromancies)
[END] Endurance: Stamina (needed for evasive actions, attacks, etc) // lightning defense // !BLEEDING!status resistance
[VIT] Vitality: Equipment load weight (affects movement/roll speed) // physical defense // !POISONED!status resistance
[STR] Strength: Allows wielding of large/heavy weapons & improves physical attack // fire defense
[DEX] Dexterity: Allows wielding of fancy weapons & improves physical attack & reduces spellcasting time & reduces falling damage
[INT] Intelligence: Allows casting of sorceries and pyromancies & increases magic attack // magic defense
[FTH] Faith: Allows casting of miracles and pyromancies & increases magic attack // dark defense
[LCK] Luck: Improves ability to cause !BLEEDING!status and !POISONED!status effects & increases item discovery // !CURSED!status resistance

Burial gifts
Gifts given at burial; you pick one at character creation.

Life Ring
Ring set with a small red jewel. Raises Maximum HP.

Divine Blessing
Warm, blessed holy water. Fully restores HP and cures ailments.

Hidden Blessing
Pure, blessed holy water. Fully restores FP.

Black Firebomb
Firebomb charged with a special block. An uncouth gift for the departed.

Fire Gem
Material used to upgrade fire weapons. More appropriate for a warrior than pretty trinkets.

Sovereignless Soul
The sovereignless soul of one who slept beside you. Use to acquire many souls.

Rusted Gold Coin
Burial item for good fortune after death. Greatly increases item discovery for a short while.

Cracked Red Eye Orb
Online play item. One use only. Become a dark spirit and invade another world.

Young White Branch
Branch of a young white birch, perhaps an offering of peace. Can be used to blend into environment, but only once.

Beginner Tips
+ It pays to stop and examine your surroundings, and to listen for signs of enemies.
+ Your starting class only determines your starting equipment and stats. When you level up, you can choose any stat to raise, and you can change equipment at any time. You can also respec your stats at a certain place in the game.
+ Pyromancies have intelligence AND faith requirements to cast. They also scale with these stats, having a soft-cap of 40/40, although they are plenty strong at minimal levels.
+ Miracles and Sorceries require and scale with faith and intelligence, respectively. Soft-cap is at 60, and >40 is required if you want to have magic as your primary form of offense.
+ Hexes are back, but rather than being cast with chimes like miracles, are instead a sub-category of either Sorceries, Miracles, or Pyromancies depending on the specific Hex, and scale with both Int and Fth.
+ Both magic-using characters and melee characters benefit from focus points (FP) as Skills consume them.
+ Restore HP with an (orange) Estus Flask, restore FP with a (blue) Ashen Estus Flask. Your allotment of orange/blue Estus can be configured at the blacksmith in the main hub.
+ Skills are special moves that weapons have. It may be a stance that allows for unique attacks, a damage boost, or something entirely unique to that weapon.
+ Regular attacks for weapons vary based on how you are holding them and your actions immediately prior to attacking. To start, each weapon has a light attack and a heavy attack. The nature of this attack changes based on whether you are one-handing or two-handing the weapon. There are also variations of the light attacks by running/backstepping then attacking or dodging. Dodging and then using a heavy attack will perform the weapon's second heavy attack (i.e. as if you were to press heavy attack twice in a row). Pressing forward+light attack will cause you to do a jump attack. Pressing forward+heavy attack will cause you to do a guard-breaking kick. When you get a new weapon, it's a good idea to test out its entire moveset. In addition to regular attacks, you can use Skills, parry/ripostes, and backstabs with weapons.
+ Activate your Skill (consumes FP) by pressing L2/LB. If you have a weapon in each hand, pressing the Skill button will activate the skill for the weapon in your LEFT hand (for some weapons). If you are two-handing a single weapon, the skill will activate for that weapon.
+ Some shields can parry enemies, indicated by a shield symbol on the shield's icon. When an enemy is attacking you, press L2/LB to parry them. The enemy will stagger, and you can riposte for high damage. Not all enemies can be parried.
+ Some shields can perform a shield bash, where you rush forward and break the enemy's guard.
+ Some shields will allow you to perform your right hand weapon's Skill, indicated by a sword symbol on the shield's icon.
+ You can backstab enemies. Circle behind them and attack their back to initiate a backstab for high damage. Not all enemies can be backstabbed.
+ Try to always have a ranged option available, whether it's a bow, a throwing knife, or magic. You can use ranged attacks to pull enemies away from dangerous or uncertain environments to safer fighting grounds.
+ If you are coming from playing just Bloodborne, be aware that most weapons will not rally/recover your HP if you hit an enemy with them. There is however a ring that restores your HP after a number of successive attacks.
+ There may be hidden paths behind illusory walls. Hit walls if you think they don't fit in. If there is a message on the ground that says "illusory wall ahead" or "hidden path ahead", there's definitely an illusory wall there. Attack as many times as needed to make it disappear.
+ Explore the hub fully; there's lots of secrets sequestered there.
+ As you explore levels you'll encounter NPCs that you can send back to the hub. Be sure to speak to each of them regularly, until they have exhausted any new dialogue.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Armor Optimizer
Weapon AR Calculator
Character Builder

Infusion advice from The Shortest Path:

The Shortest Path posted:

I felt like doing an effortpost writeup of how weapon infusion works, since a lot of people seem unsure about what to do with their weapons for a given build. If this can get thrown in the OP (with spoiler tags where needed, if you think that's necessary?) that would be helpful. Also if I missed something or someone has anything helpful to add, feel free.

Blacksmith Andre starts with three infusion types available, and can unlock more as you give him embers which you find as you progress through the game. Infusing a weapon or shield requires a gem of the appropriate type and a small amount of souls. You can change a weapon from one infusion type to another, though the first gem isn't refunded, or you can use a Shriving Stone to remove the infusion altogether if you'd like.

All infusions except for Raw lower the base physical damage slightly. The plain Dagger seems to be an exception, with all the elemental infusions actually increasing its base damage.

Weapon buffs such as pine resins and spells that affect your weapon can ONLY be applied to normal, Refined, Sharp, Heavy, and Raw weapons.

Starting Infusions:

Refined - Slightly lowers the highest among STR and DEX scaling, then brings the other one up to that level.
Raw - Removes all scaling, significantly increases base physical damage.
Fire - Removes all scaling, adds flat fire damage

Farron Coal location: Road of Sacrifices, guarded by a Black Knight.

Heavy - Removes DEX scaling, increases STR scaling.
Sharp - Lowers but does not remove STR scaling, increases DEX scaling.
Poison - Lowers all scaling, adds poison buildup.

Sage's Coal location: Farron Keep, guarded by a Darkwraith.

Crystal - Lowers all scaling, adds magic damage with INT scaling.
Blessed - Lowers all scaling, adds FAITH scaling to physical damage. Also gives slow HP recovery while equipped.
Deep - Removes all scaling, adds flat dark damage.

Profaned Coal location: Irithyll Dungeon right by the shortcut.

Dark - Lowers all scaling, adds dark damage with INT+FAITH scaling.
Blood - Lowers all scaling, adds bleed buildup.
Hollow - Lowers all scaling, adds LUCK scaling, increases your LUCK based on how hollowed you are.

Giant's Coal location: Anor Londo on a giant corpse near the bonfire.

Lightning - Lowers all scaling, adds lightning damage with FAITH scaling.
Simple - Lowers all scaling, adds flat magic damage. Also gives slow FP recovery while equipped.
Chaos - Lowers all scaling, adds fire damage with INT+FAITH scaling.

Generally speaking you will always want to infuse a weapon you're using, as there will be one if not several options that are outright better than an uninfused weapon. Starting off when you don't have much for stats, Raw or one of the non-scaling elemental infusions like Fire and Deep will be your best option, depending on what enemies you're going to be fighting since certain ones have heavy resistances or weaknesses. Once you have solid offensive stats, STR builds will usually want Heavy, DEX builds will usually want Sharp, and Quality builds will usually want Refined. Spellcaster builds are a bit more situational - a DEX or STR caster hybrid will generally want Heavy/Sharp so they can enchant it, a pure caster can use Raw with enchantments or forego them for one of the elemental scaling infusions if their appropriate stat(s) are high enough, and again it depends on what types of enemies you're going to be fighting.

The type of weapon you're modifying matters as well. Weapons with high base damage benefit more from flat damage infusions, weapons with high scaling benefit more from infusions that add or increase scaling. All gems are farmable in at least one location, so it doesn't hurt to experiment to find out what works.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 17, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

extra post probably for future DLC

e: probably never gonna bother to add DLC info down here, lol. just check out the fextralife wiki or something.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 28, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TheQat posted:

this thread will be for both console and pc versions, correct?

Correct. And at this time tomorrow it should be the only open Dark Souls III thread.

Gologle posted:

Is it just me, or does Deprived actually look like the best class to start out with? They start at the lowest level out of all the starting classes, so more room to fit stats in, and their stats are all balanced. Yeah, it sucks to start out naked, but come on, fashion souls has to start somewhere, why don't you pull yourself up by your own bootstraps and make something of yourself in this new, competitive world of looking the best? Plus the club apparently kicks rear end.

It's kind of bad for min/maxing due to having >7 luck, since you only want luck if you're going to do a luck-centered build. Starting naked is also actually more difficult now because defense has a greater effect at mitigating damage than it did in previous games. It does start with the club though, which has a rad Skill.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh gross :(

Always liked pyromancy because it didn't require a stat investment beyond attunement to use. I've used it in every single game but having to level up sorcery and faith this time sounds painful.

You don't need to. It's still really good even with minimal of those stats.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

White Phosphorus posted:

Where's the bone fist in dis game? I wanna fly kick fools ASAP.

There's no bone fist but there's a demon fist.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

So what, is it a case where only the most powerful pyromancies have high stat requirements to equip? That's fine by me since I rarely used them anyways since they weren't terribly useful in PvE.

P. much.

RBA Starblade posted:

Fine work for the k***ht.

That was turtlecrunch. As this game takes from Dark Souls, I take from his pre-release OP.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

3Romeo posted:

Yeah, KB+M. I don't mind a challenge, but I hate having to fight against the interface. It's aggravating in all the wrong ways.

About the "figure stuff out on your own" bit - I think that's the thing that bothers me the most. The game should work inside it's own universe without me having to watch a Let's Play or read a walkthrough.

Guess you're probably right.

Get a gamepad. And you absolutely do not need to every consult outside help; at most you might need to do this to find some secret areas. It gives you the basic controls in the Asylum (also why you should have a controller since it only shows controller prompts for that) and from there teaches you through experience.

Node posted:

that is awesome that armor may actually mean something now, instead of just having another round of fashion souls

How important/not important is luck? I do like to collect items in the Souls series.

For the purposes of getting items Luck is kind of bad. Each point boosts item find by 1, when item find boosting gear/item boost the stat from 50-100 depending on the item. However, a Luck build is worth doing (probably not on your first run) because there is not only a Luck-scaling sword but also an upgrade path that makes weapons scale with Luck.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 11, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Szcwczuk posted:

Sure but it's still lovely to play at such low FPS.

Not really. You only need 60 FPS for fast-paced twitchy games. It's always nice to have but hardly necessary here.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Ecch. Spreading stats that wide makes me paranoid until I know the game better. Quality build it is.

There's a respec option.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Tell me about Dex/Luck, Harrow.

I mean, if you can.

I heard something about Luck increasing either the chance or effectiveness of things like Bleed, so you could stack this poo poo high enough that you wreck everything, is this correct or am I wrong

I mean I guess you could go dex/luck but you'd be spreading your points rather thin. You'd be best off going pure luck and just infusing whatever weapons you want to use along the Hollow path. Most of the good bleed weapons can be infused. Plus this will give you good damage with one luck-scaling sword, assuming you get it (since it's part of an NPC quest line).

I've heard a fair amount of praise for Luck builds utilizing the Corvian Great Scythe, a reaper you can farm off a fairly early enemy type that has potent bleed and does pretty well with the Hollow infusion.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kiggles posted:

You can't use resins on infused weapons tho, right?

Or did you mean having two weapons, one with Hollow for 'raw' damage, and another for resins to deal status.

All physical-damage infusions can be buffed, aside from Blessed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

So is bleed/poison builds tied up in luck then?

Can you do a bleed or poison heavy build and have it worthwhile or is it like Dark Souls 2 / Bloodborne where you're generally better off ignoring status effects and building to hit harder and/or because most things you would want to poison/bleed were generally immune?

Strength poison builds were actually good in Dark Souls II with the addition of the Sanctum Mace. That thing was by far the best weapon for poisoning dudes, in addition to hitting hard.

As far as here goes, heavy along with poison/bleed probably wouldn't be the most effective. There aren't too many heavier weapons with bleed or poison. Although there is a boss one you can make pretty early on with the new status Frostbite. No idea if it's at all effective or anything.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

poison yes bleed no

No idea about poison, but I'll second that bleed is super good. There are bosses that are resistant so you'll still need a good source of regular damage, but tons of enemies are bosses can be bled, a number are very susceptible to it, and it does a ton of damage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

In general terms, are there fun utility pyromancies? DS2 had a few (warmth, flash sweat, fire weapon), but utility stuff has always mainly been Sorc. and Miracles. I've been hoping that they gave pyromancy some stuff to do that's not just damage.

Rapport is back and is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8hPBCkhBzk

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

So how does upgrading work now? Does each upgrade path have it's own titanite type or is it mostly regular titanite with the occasional twinkling like in DSII? And are there embers you must find before you can start infusions?

There are three types of weapons. Standard which upgrade with regular types of titanite, unique which upgrade with twinkling, and boss which upgrade with titanite scales. You use a titanite slab for the final upgrade for each type. Only standard weapons can be infused and infusion is done by using a single gem, one for each upgrade path. They are consumable and fixed ones are finite, but are also farmable. You have a few paths at the start, the rest of unlocked by giving the blacksmith various "coals."

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Are the wood carvings back or is this a 0/10 game? :v:

They are back. You get them from the crows.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

voltron lion force posted:

Whoa didn't realize this. Hopefully there are a lot of slabs to go around. My standard arsenal is one reg weapon, one unique and one boss to make full use of all upgrade materials.

I think there's like 6 or 7 guaranteed, no idea if they're farmable.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

I'm gonna do it at some point. Something like 40 Dex/25 Int/25 Faith, use a Carthus Curved Greatsword buffed with Carthus Flame Arc. I just want to go full Carthus, really.

Going actual dex/pyro is basically for buffing and occasionally throwing fire spells around. It also helps because it gets you really fast casting speed without having to use a ring slot on the faster casting ring. But you can also be really strong by infusing a weapon with Chaos and going full pyro.

Seems like casting speed from dex is kind of worthless since the speed boosting ring puts cast speed near the cap, equivalent to ~40 points of dex.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anasurimbur posted:

So, Amazon isn't sending my "Day one edition" until Thursday - which is just unacceptable for me. I didn't realize that it was going to take two days until I received the game that I pre-ordered.

I sat down on PSN to go purchase the game and I keep getting errors all around: At first I received a credit card error despite everything being correct (I Just used it on PSN a few days ago.) When I went to just add funds rather than directly buy the game I got a generic "cannot do that" error. I attempted to buy online - same thing.

PSN's lack of service is so loving frustrating. Likely just going to buy game cards and plug those in, now - here's hoping that'll work.

With Amazon, the release-date delivery was only confirmed after a certain date. If you pre-ordered before that you don't get it unless you cancel and re-order or contact Amazon support. At this point it'd probably be too late, though not necessarily since they can ship within a day. Always keep an eye on the delivery estimate, especially as it reaches release date.

axeil posted:

For the wood carvings, Is there a specific item you need to trade in?

If I can't spam "Very Good" constantly then I won't know what to do with myself.

The items you trade for carvings are Divine Blessing, Hidden Blessing, Shriving Stone, and Saint-tree Bellvine.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

My Dex/Faith DS1 run was absolute trash outside of the Moonlight Bow, which let me kill Manus. Bows good.

e: It was so bad that in order to not get destroyed by Artorias, my lovely character joined forces with two other poo poo-people to form a mediocre squad. There were casualties.

Uh... how did you manage to gently caress up so badly. Dex/fth is one of the strongest builds in Dark Souls. Something like Falchion+DMB/SLB shits out stupid amounts of damage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Petition to change the thread title to something less AIDS.

What you got bitch

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Frankston posted:

Well poo poo, after all this hype and waiting I think I'm gonna have to get a steam refund. :(

Try playing at 640x480

EDIT: the true dark souls experience

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lol @ pc mustard race suffering a ton of issues. Good choice of platform. :thumbsup:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

On that note, the "Greatsword" in this game is tiny, and doesn't do Tarkus justice, and the Fume GS is WAY too loving big, so I need to find a sword that's exactly (or as close as I can get it) the same shape as the dark souls GS. That'll be hard.

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Ultra%20Greatswords

I feel like the Lothric Knight Greatsword would probably fit the bill?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Pretty much. DS2 muddles it some by forgetting what half the stuff in DS1 meant, but the gist is link fire, life great, fire fades, undead show up, one undead goes "watch this everyone" and sets self on fire, fire linked, repeat.

Also what the gently caress was the throne of want in the end? Just the Kiln?

Because you know objectively what stuff in Dks2 meant, more the developer does. :jerkbag:

And yeah, the Throne of Want is just the Kiln in another shape.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

pthighs posted:

Thanks. Is there an inexhaustible supply of embers or do I need to hoard them?

You can farm them from a number of enemy types. They also give you plenty of fixed ones. And for successfully killing a host or helping them kill a boss you get en Ember in addition to automatically making you a Host of Embers. Feel free to use 'em. I like to pop em in the middle of an area since they fully heal you in addition to expanding your max Hp.

e: Also it's not called "lord of cinder" mode, that's bullcrap fextralife made up. Using an ember makes you a Host of Embers.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tenacious J posted:

I'm new to the Souls series and can someone help me understand how to think about the weapons in this game? I love Bloodborne, and the weapons in that are rare and very specifically located. You can also start with the best weapons in the game. I also loved the way trick weapons worked.

In Souls it seems like weapons are random drops, and there's a million more. Is the basic starting axe something I want to level up like the axe in bloodborne? If I find a "short sword" is that great or will I eventually get a unique named short sword that has special stats?

You can think of weapons as playing the same role as they do in Bloodborne, the only difference being that they're not as complex in their movesets and that they're more common. So everything is viable, and often times the basic weapons (like the standard Longsword) are among some of the best.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

codo27 posted:

Umm. Yeah I definitely hosed up. I was thinking the game is very linear so far? Is that why I'm stuck?
Start->Firelink->Lothric->Undead Settlement->Road of Sacrifices->Farron->Catacombs->Irithyll but I dont have the doll. What do?

I think they're more referring to how interconnected the levels are, not how different levels are interconnected. It is fairly linear. What you're missing is that there's another path on the Road of Sacrifices leading to its boss, and the area beyond will allow you to progress.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

Are we sure you can be invaded if you're Embered but don't have any phantoms? I've been Embered the entire time I've been playing so far and I've only ever been invaded by NPCs. Then, I summon a sunbro for fun and I'm invaded in seconds.

Yup. But it's similar to Dark Souls II in that there's a priority (probably). People with summons seem to be much high priority than people who are just embered.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJ posted:

Does anyone know why my estus flask randomly refills? In DS1 i think it was because someone stoked the bonfire you were using but afaik you can't do that in this game.

Not confirmed but anecdotally it seems similar to the free liquid humanity thing they had going on in Dark Souls, where when you raise a hidden counter enough you get one, and the counter is raised by killing enemies in that area.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

From, why the gently caress do I need to sit through your Namco splash screen every time I want to go back to the main menu?

For that matter why the hell can't we just exit from in-game?

Just alt+f4 you big baby. This has always been the solution.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

http://i.imgur.com/jNyj074.png kinda makes me wish we didn't have to have this bigass red shine on our invaders, linked for midgame-ish optional armour spoilers. I want a Dark Soul Calibur game, it's Namco and Namco.

You need to do a bit of exploring to grab a 100% phys shield, 12 strength required for one early on, 14 and up for the rest. 100% shields make a fine difference a ways into the game.

just equip the ring that makes you like like a human.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought purple bros automatically got summoned to sessions that had multiple phantoms in them. Basically, a covenant built around interrupting an invasion or coop session for the purpose of sewing confusion.

If those summon signs are the only way to bring them in then nobody is gonna bother with them in about a week.

Purple bros can get summoned through a white or red sign or invade. This is how all the covenants work basically, with the covenant sigil modifying the multiplayer interaction in some way.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

What the gently caress is up with this woman in Road of Sacrifices with the huge axe/cleaver thing? Is she even killable early on without huge amounts of cheese?

I'd skip her but I really wanna know what she drops :(

Just spam r1, she's pretty easily stunlocked.

Funkmaster General posted:

The mound makers covenant is a really cool idea with one major issue keeping it from working in practice: there's no reason for a purple phantom to help the host. In theory, purple phantoms are a mixed bag that can help the host or murder him, act as a white or red phantom, etc. However, the purple phantom gets covenant rewards only for killing the host or killing white/blue phantoms, and gets no benefit for killing regular enemies or even red or other purple phantoms. They also cannot enter fog gates, so they cannot help fight bosses (which would almost negate the purpose anyway since 90% of non-japanese players summon only for boss fights and not full area runs) or do the obvious-but-still-funny thing of killing the host just before they defeat the boss.

In practice it's just a different, albeit cooler, color to take on for invasions, with the added benefit that some players might summon you on their own because they don't know what a purple phantom is or don't realize that you aren't rewarded for doing anything but killing them.

I'm pretty sure reds count. I had an invasion earlier where I was tasked to kill the host or 3 phantoms, and my three phantoms were one white, one blue, and one red.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks to whichever mod changed the thread title.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Can you get the to the bottom of the tower near where you find the Flynn's ring without dying when you jump down from the platform?
Yrs, just need enough up and healing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

The hollowing doesn't really have any negative effects, so my issue is indeed purely fashion. It sucks having to take up a permanent ring slot though. 4500 for a stone is insane compared to the relative price and rarity of humanities and effigies :(

Even with the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring the blue guys only give like 240 Souls, which means a lot of farming. I got over a thousand from the blue one though , so perhaps I'll farm here after all. Considering how much every other enemy in the game drops, including far more dangerous enemies, I almost have to wonder if his drop is unintended. Perhaps someone put an extra "0" somewhere?

Your fault for trusting a guy with a suspicious voice offering to "draw out your true strength."

Vermain posted:

Most of the areas appear to be assuming that you're going to scumbag pull enemies one-by-one. There's simply no other explanation for the absurd level of mob density in Farron Keep. For all the griping people (myself included) did about the multiple strong enemy encounters in DS2, at least that game had Lifegems to compensate for multi-comboing groups of 3-4 dudes who take multiple hits to cleave down. This game just hurls packs of three goatmen who can take off half of your health by themselves and no outside method of healing beyond Miracles and limited Estus. The only sane option is to plink them with arrows to pull them over and kill them one-by-one as though we were back to playing Everquest.

The tree dudes are for optional stuff only, if you can't take 'em down just ignore them.

You don't need to plink at them either. I just ran up, aggro'd then, and strafed backwards while getting in hits here and there. You can always use the geometry to separate and leash them.

Vermain posted:

I dunno how they hosed this up so bad. If you haven't built your character optimally by the time you get to them, get ready to co-op, because you need very solid DPS to even get past the first phase unless you are the King of Dodging. It's a worse version of DS2's Belfry Gargoyles, except you don't have the luxury of kiting them around while popping Lifegems.

Uh, this is not true at all. The Abyss Watchers, especially the non-main HP bar one, have like no HP. Once you get to the phase of the fight where you get some "ally" ones you can literally just stay off in the distance and wait a minute for them to kill the main one. They're also not that tough to dodge either since a lot of their attacks will come nowhere close to you if you strafe backwards or will fly past you and miss you completely.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

No :(

One can only learn where the shallow areas are and use them :(

PROTIP for slow liquid areas. Equip a weapon with the Quickstep skill. It's not slowed down at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

I wished he had gone full goop monster in phase 2 because right now phase 2 is just fiery phase one.

:same:

Especially weird since as far as I can tell you're literally standing on his body the entire fight. Would have been cool if he had absorbed you and you had to fight him inside of him like that one Yoshi's Island boss fight.

Still, at least the fight is wonderfully atmospheric.