Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Andrigaar posted:

Not that I'm super-bitter at Funstock or anything (:toughguy: ) , but I actually looked at the FAQ that they dispensed when probably all their customers sent in emails to their site support about the date mix-up on Friday.

My original estimate was at the release minute. I've now upgraded that to 1 minute before so they technically are correct. Also I'm wondering if they got the short end of a contract stick versus Gamesplanet if they don't get to release until the day of.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've given up on build dilemmas and I'm just going to be a dex-based pyromancer like I am every first run. I'm kind of worried my stats will end up spread really thin now that pyromancy scales with faith/int though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

funstock give the key

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TheMopeSquad posted:

Just checked my funstock account page and the key was up :woop:
Either I'm looking at the wrong page or mine still isn't :( It should be on the Home » Account » Order History » Order Information page, right? Guess they're probably releasing in batches.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Andrigaar posted:

Just checked mine and came to post the same. Even says "Dark Souls III - Pre-Purchase" which I guess means I get the soundtrack.

I wish they'd have commented about why 10 hours to the minute seems to be the window :tinfoil:

E:

It's on the same page, but there's a new table below the price details with my key.

Nope :(

I'll give it a few hours I guess.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Funstock key is here. time for soles

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

You're setting the stage for tomorrow when you "get worse." Good work coming to work sick and coughing, it's the True American Way!
yeah, come on, I thought this was just what everyone did

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Harrow posted:

I'm not super sure how strong pyromancy would be at 15/15, and you'd be missing the requirements for a few really good pyromancies. I think it's more important that you use the three pyromancy-enhancing rings than having the best possible scaling stats, so your low-requirement pyromancies should be able to hit pretty hard, but you're still missing out on things like this game's version of Forbidden Sun.

It's worth noting that you can infuse the Partizan, so you could go pure pyromancer (30/30 is the soft-cap) and just meet the minimum requirements for the Partizan and infuse it with Chaos so it scales with your pyro stats. If you'd prefer to buff, you could do like 25/25 and 30+ Dex, then buff it with fire and stab away.
Ecch. Spreading stats that wide makes me paranoid until I know the game better. Quality build it is.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There doesn't seem to be much point in going dex/pyro at all :( Oh well, full pyro chaos weapon playthrough next time then.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the Xanthous Crown has continued its trend of getting tinier and tinier every game. DS3 confirmed for poo poo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

If you really dug into DS2 it wasn't "really disconnected" at all, there were lots of references and it was clearly intended to take place on the same spot, years later.

ppl still aren't agreed on that because DS2 went so far into obscure for obscurity's sake, but eh, I still liked it and I'm not gonna be the guy starting a DS2 argument on this most sacred of days.

Chard posted:

How good is the character creator this time around? I'm all antsy waiting for this thing to drop but I know I'm going to spend my first hour making a hideous monster.
Yeah I want to know if I can make Waluigi specifically

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

oh does anyone know how rolling/equip load works this time

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Done. See you all on the High Wall. :getin:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I can't work out if the uchi parry has startup frames or not. I think the faster pace of the game is just fuckin w me

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

What's the point of light armor if there's no fatrolling? Is it just so you can save points in vit and dump them somewhere else?

e: Also can someone spoiler how to get the Orange Soapstone?
30% and under is a superfast roll, it's noticeably quicker and better than above 30%.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

b0red posted:

No crashing issues with my gtx 970
Same here, been absolutely perfect.

Also re the abyss jizz monsters, I'm not sure what I think of them, I find them really visually indistinct and... kind of lovely looking? Really hard to read their attacks and I don't know what's actually hitting me most of the time because the screen is just a mess of black goop. I've killed a couple and I feel like it's pure luck.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

why the gently caress isn't it subtitled "Prepare Your Die"? Someone dropped the ball faster than I drop when I meet a blue knight

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CJacobs posted:

That's not funny, you fooled me for a second :saddowns:
I don't get the joke but I saw him too

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

It's not my hardware, every other game including Witcher 3 and XCOM 2 worked flawlessly. I'll try a frame limiter though, thanks; it's definitely not that I can barely run it, I can go at max with a perfect framerate. I'm using a GTX970, can I do that through the nvidia control panel or do I download a third party software?
man I see all these people having trouble with a 970 and it's running absolutely fine on mine. Guess I lucked out, there seems to be something hosed up with the port :(

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im permabanned ashen one hollowstomper58. i first got the darksign when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of “souls” and tried to channel them constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like “seek souls” and “take nourishment from these sovereignless souls” in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing phantoms in the corners of my eyes etc, basically going hollow. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of “insatiable hunger for souls” style of darksign bearers was all about; i think it’s the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who get the darksign to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a going hollow. peace.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I'm sorry abyss watchers, you're the newest worst Souls boss. You're absolute garbage and it's a shame you're not optional.
you're Insane.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Multi-mob boss fights are always the worst fights, and then they throw a really tough boss at you after that's done. I imagine he'd be loving awesome to fight alone, just cut out the first bullshit.

two of the mob members are on your side

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Beeez posted:

Thanks guys. It's not really about being broke or not as I have Gamefly, so if DS3 is the best for beginners then that's what I'd do, but otherwise I was thinking Dark Souls 1 seemed like a good start point. However, unless being a magic user is advised for a total beginner who doesn't usually play super hard games, I'm more inclined to devote a lot of my time to melee, I usually prefer that in games with magic acting supplementary.
I'd recommend DS1 first because a) it's the first one and you won't miss the sequels' quality of life improvements, b) it was the best one until a couple of days ago, and c) it's the easiest to do that build in, because Pyromancy is 100% intended to be a type of magic that's supplementary to melee, takes absolutely no stat investment and also owns

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I got summoned to help a dude with the Ducks of the Deep and he was frozen mid-toast and levitated through the fog door in toasting position. Me and the other phantom just had to sit on the outside of the fog door listening to the fight and occasionally stabbing an add that came up to see what all the fuss was about. woops

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is there any point in healing the Dark Sigil? It costs like 100k souls, I already made myself look normal with a Purging Stone and I killed Yuria for being creepy so I'm guessing that locked me out of whatever story path that was taking me down.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of Yuria, did I screw up the story if she's mad at me? She left Firelink after I killed a pilgrim disguised as a statue :( Did the message deceive me? It was something like "Here! Miscreant" so I attacked and it died.
I think you cut off the secret ending because I did the same thing :shrug: that's for NG+ I guess!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was just remembering how a lot of fans complained DSII had too many callbacks to DS1

Boy they must be having a field day with this game
I have a friend who lost his poo poo and ragequit because he met a Silver Knight and woah boy I can't wait until he gets to the Boreal Valley

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, its just weird how DSII makes it sound like DS1 was so long ago that the names of the kingdoms and poo poo are lost of time and then in DSIII even ancillary stuff like Catarina is back

Although, it is also interesting if it implies the cycle is so strong that exact copies of kingdoms will rise again
uh... time and space is distorted here

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

My chargen was bugged and didn't update what I looked like so I've had the boring default face all game. Just found the place where you can respec/remake yourself though.

Waluigi time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

guys this is the best game ever made. i might be drunk but im gonna start crying because of how good it is

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Ha ha! Got the Nameless King. Had a SUnbro with me until the end, but they died and it was one hit, me or him. I had no stamina and sloooowly wound up just as he was about to stab down and cut him in two with my katana.

gently caress. Wow. That was a rush. gently caress that boss.

nameless king is the best souls boss ever .

NESguerilla posted:

Any tip for Aldrich? This guy is wrecking me.
summon and pray he doesnt do the arrow rain move in his second phase because it's poo poo and you'll die. he's poo poo. aldrich is poo poo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

So what are those freaky looking skeletal dragon things floating in the air in Lothric Castle? The things that shoot at you while fighting the Dragonslayer Armor. I beat the game and haven't found any indication of what they are or what they're doing.

Also why is the sun black?

dragonslayer armor soul calls them "Pilgrim Butterflies". imo they're the end result of the ppl turning into trees (as we see giants turning trees in DS2) on the High Wall. Butterfly implies a metamorphosis and combined with the extremely metal dying sun I think it suggests that the Age of Dark will lead to all hollows assuming their true form as insanely cool tree-dragons

the sun is black because the age of fire is dying and the sun is an illusion that is succumbing to the deep sea. also it's the darksign

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Pilgrims, not hollows. AKA the things with shells on their backs.
the dark is forgiving and welcoming. u dont have to be a pilgrim to reap the glory of the coming age ... the pilgrims are jst extremely dedicated to making it happen, as we all should be

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

wait people think the final boss is easy?
I thought Gwyn was easy and later found out ppl found him hard, but the DS3 final boss beat the poo poo out of me until I slept on it and defeated him in a glorious perfect zen moment. Different builds struggle with different things I guess

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah I didn't have much of a problem, but he's got a version of that which will track you for a very long time and very aggressively. Even if you get up next to him it'll come back and gently caress you up.
if he uses that spell you die. it's the shittiest move in the game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

There were people who thought Gwyn was hard? :psyduck:

He had the most obvious telegraphed attack animation in the game for you to parry. I wiped the floor with him and I couldn't even get the Silver Knight parry timing down right.
same, I have no idea, but when I say I thought he was easy people call me a tryhard edgelord .... he took me like 20 tries this time though!! Also he parried me for an instant kill which I'm sure the demonic yellow men at FROM found very funny.

Also the Feels when Gwyn's theme kicks in are unparalleled. This is the best game ever made

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I still can't get sentinel or watchdog summoned. I'm guessing everything's just oversaturated for the sentinels, but the watchdogs should eventually have something happen.

it's broken

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Aldrich sounds like the worst fucker ever. He ate so many people and was such an rear end in a top hat he turned into loving goo. That's crazy.

he's your mum

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Harrow posted:

What I'm not sure I understand yet about the story:

1. What makes these Lords of Cinder special? Why do they need to return to their thrones? Is it because the others already have and/or they're amalgamated into the Soul of Cinder so they're already there?

2. And what makes this cycle special? We never had to worry about previous Lords of Cinder before--though there was only one in DS1 and maybe DS2 just got straight retconned, I dunno. Or is this cycle special at all? I remember this being billed as the definitive end to the cycle of flame, but is that true if we pick the Link the First Flame ending again?

3. Is "Unkindled" different from "Undead?" Is there something special about being Unkindled compared to just being a normal undead?
1 is a good question. Either they're just the latest five or they have the biggest parts of the DS1 Lord Souls? I understand Aldrich as a candidate more than the others since he has a habit of eating gods, and I guess Ludleth and Prince Lothric from the plot... I guess Yhorm because of whatever he did to gently caress up the first time, so he probably still has a pretty intact/powerful soul? Someone else can try Abyss Watchers, no idea there.

2. I think this cycle is definitely special - I think it's the closest the flame has come to ever going out, and it also seems that the cycles are getting shorter and shorter - 1000 years passed between Gwyn going into the Kiln and the time of DS1, whereas the last few Lords of Cinder have definitely been closer together than that. Also my interpretation of the Link the Fire ending is that it doesn't work - compare the kind of wimpy fire effect, your character's rather baffled reaction, the muted zoom away and the way your attention is drawn to the Darksign sun still being very present. You've maybe given the fire a spark of life, but it's not enough - just embers brought into being by an accursed undead that we've known all along was unfit to be cinder.

3. My impression is that they're former seekers of the First Flame, candidates who tried to Link the Fire and failed.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

The impression I got is that the Unkindled are the same as the Undead from previous games, it's just that the Undeads' souls have become so exhausted from the gradual degradation of the world that most of them are no longer fit to burn. So they were given a new name and a new purpose, to gather up the Lords of Cinder, who are the only entities left to provide adequate fuel for the First Flame.
why don't you (normally) go hollow if they're the same thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Also have you considered that you are wrong because breakdance sword is great and gets A in dex

Wait what sword?