Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
NEC is fun cause you can get cheesesteaks, play Alpha 2 and ST, and watch James Chen play DDR

One time a fire alarm went on at 4 AM and I walked outside barefoot in the snow cause I couldn't find my shoes and didn't want to die in a horrible hotel fire. NEC owns and I am real sad I can't go again this year.

Pockyless fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Also the guy who was in charge of the restaurant at the Clarion made pretty good burgers and chicken wings. Like as good as you could possibly make them with the quality of ingredients they had.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Tekken7 is also built around arcade to arcade netcode and on a Windows like platform. The real question is how things around the game that are home version specific like menus, lobbies, and customization navigations work. Tekken tag 2 was good enough about those things so I'm not really worried about tekken7.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
oro srk wiki

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
That has been happening for a long time in some form or another. Every Tekken game has a really rough initial arcade release that gets refined by the time the game hits consoles. Street fighter in every iteration has multiple releases to address things that didn’t come up in internal testing. It’s just a faster release cycle now.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

there's a marked difference in paying $60 up front for an incomplete or busted game for the sake of EVO marketing vs either of those two examples

How is samurai showdown incomplete or busted? It has had very good reception and the latest patch is just a large balance patch.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Firstborn posted:

I've had a Hitbox for two days, and ... a lot of it feels natural and stuff, but man... kind of want to buy a stick and see if I like that better.

If you play on an arcade cabinet or want to borrow someone else’s controller then stick is very good. If you don’t care about that then just pick something and get good with it.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

What's the opinion on the Razer Panthera Evo? I know the OP recommends the regular Panthera. This one is improved?

It’s a step down from the regular one. The evo is ps4/pc only, has razer buttons, and takes longer to open if you want to change anything. That being said it’s totally fine as a stick. I would rather get something like an obsidian or even a hori fighting edge, but the evo is an OK choice especially when it goes on sale.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I presume the Gundam EXVS population is still pretty healthy since it only came out a few weeks ago, but how long does the population usually last? I never played the previous versions, so I don't know if they died off almost immediately or not

I think I've talked myself into picking it up, I've been itching to play some and reading through the document gives me a much better idea how to play.

This is the first real release of the game on consoles outside of Japan so it’s impossible to guess its longevity. I have been able to get ranked matches easily and scrub tier MMR and the discord is very active which are good signs. Inside of japan this was the #1 selling game with over 100,000 copies sold in the first week. Most of my friends do not want to pay $60 and I think that sentiment is not uncommon.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
You have to be a moron if you think aris didn’t get offered early access.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
There are players winning tournaments with stick, pad, and hitbox. Pick one that's comfortable and use it to practice.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
If strive has instant rematch and simultaneous matches in a private lobby then it will have one of the most robust online experiences for a fighting game which is pretty sad if you think about it.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Also in stick news, I got an 8bitdo stick. For $89 I think it’s better stock than a quanba drone but it’s kind of annoying to replace parts. The screw holes are deep torx screws so I have to use a dedicated t10 driver to get them out. There are pads to solder on a 5 pin JLF harness but the stock wiring for the lever is just soldered on directly to the micro switches.

Other than that the quality is really good and it has a battery on the base for connecting to the switch or PC over Bluetooth or WiFi with an included adaptor so it has a very satisfying weight. The PCB is only for Switch and PC but overall I really like it.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
This and +R are the first arc sys games with rollback. It might be hyperbole with everyone singing i’s praises but I would that makes it the actual standard for future games that they and other companies make as opposed to reality where Samurai Showdown, granblue, kof 14 and most likely 15, tekken, under night, dbfz, soul calibur 6 all use delay based netcode and are also some of the most popular games. The only AAA game with good netcode currently is MK11 and arguably SF5.

Pockyless fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 21, 2021

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Elvis_Maximus posted:

On a related guilty gear note holy god I can't do an IAD combo to save my life without a dash macro. I can IAD just fine outside of combos, but put the hitstop in the way from moves connecting and I either don't jump or they flip out before it connects

Regular jump canceled combos? No issues at all, those work great. But as soon as I need to dash out of the move I'm just insanely incompetent at it

It's always been my biggest issue in guilty gear

Are you doing the i-no 6P, 5H, IAD j.K link? You only have a few frame buffer for the initial jump so start the IAD later than you think and push K at around the same time as the second forward input. It's not easy.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

boz posted:

Yeah it blew my mind years ago when I first saw them at BestBuy, but for me it felt just as good as a wired connection.

https://www.amazon.com/goCoax-Adapter-2-5Gbps-Ethernet-WF-803M/dp/B07XYDG7WN these ones work via coax cables. There are some requirements you need with regards to the types of splitters you have and what frequency your cable modem runs at, but if the requirements fit then it should be better than a power line adapter.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

So I'm in a weird spot, where I can seem to handle the offline mode pretty well, but I get obliterated against people online, and I just generally feel incompetent.

Playing against other people is almost a completely different game than playing against the computer. The strategy and tactics to improve and ultimately win have nearly endless depth and there are a lot of resources available in addition to just playing a lot to help get better. I recommend the videos on Core-A channel as well presented explanations of many of these concepts:

https://youtu.be/riGCdE6ZPck

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

I have a couple questions for you guys.

There may not be enough information to answer this question, but: It looks like the PS3 online store is closing sometime this year. I have MvC2 on that platform, and have been considering picking up a PS3 just to play it again. If the store closes, will I still be able to download a copy? Or is it likely gone forever?

Having said that, what's the best way to play MvC2 these days (that isn't a Dreamcast or Arcade cab)?

Thank you!

On the emulator side, most people play on Bear NullDC https://github.com/RossenX/NullDC-BEAR. The controller drivers are very good and games run mostly accurately. It’s also the main way now that people play mvc2 and cvs2 online.

Pockyless fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 23, 2021

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh and one more question, do Sanwa buttons really make that much of a difference? I bought the 8bitdo arcade stick, I figure since the stick got good review and stuff that it should be good enough but people online are talking about how sanwa buttons are the best and should be modded into whatever stick you buy, is that true?

I modded my 8bitdo stick with sanwa parts, but the stock buttons and lever are not bad. You don’t need to rush to replace them especially if you don’t have any experience with using stick. The Sanwa parts are the same style but just feel nicer.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

teagone posted:

I've had a Razer Panthera for a little while now, but am thinking about picking up the ~$90 8BitDo Arcade Stick because 1) would be nice to have something smaller that's better than my Hori Mini 3, and because 2) I recently came into a Switch and being able to play fighting games on it with a stick would be neat. It also being 2.4G/BT capable is convenient when I just wanna romp through arcade/story modes on my PC.

I know a few goons picked it up; those of you who have, how have you been liking it thus far? I don't plan to mod it or anything, since I read the stock lever/buttons are pretty good.

By far the most annoying thing is the space on the stick side is too narrow so my hand hangs off the edge. It doesn’t really bother me when I’m playing, but my larger sticks definitely feel nicer on my hands.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

VF is cool but i have no idea how to play an if you accidently jump your character does like a 25 foot vertical moon bounce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boM7T3BWewY

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Archer666 posted:

I think there are bots on VF5 or something. Twice I've been matched against different people who just endlessly spam punch (Which kinda makes the match easy when I'm playing Venessa. I can type out this post while watching the auto counter do its thing).

Also coming over to VF from Tekken is definitely going to take a lot of getting used to.

There is an achievement to play 1200 matches, you will stop seeing them if you get past 1dan rank

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Are you playing on pad or stick? It’s a difficult input to do consistently. On stick I push K+G while barely grazing G and it comes out somewhat consistently

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

surf rock posted:

Who is the audience for Virtua Fighter 5? Is there an audience for it?

I remember playing the original on the Saturn at Toys'R'Us and thinking, "Whoa, this poo poo is next level" solely because of the graphics, but I've been playing VF5 today since it's the free PS+ download, and, goddamn, this is just all so bland. The gameplay is still plodding, Akira is somehow still the only recognizable character, there's nothing to the story, the music isn't memorable, the voice acting is painful...

I'm sure this is a Bad Take because the reason the fighting is so dull from a novice's perspective is because it's actually very precise and technical and so on, and I don't begrudge people for liking it if that's why they like it, but boy there is nothing here to grab a casual gamer from what I experienced.

I don’t think it’s a slow game at all. It’s very fast with regards to the number of decisions you are making and trying to recognize patterns from your opponent. The aesthetic isn’t for everyone but the animations are excellent and give each character a lot of personality.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Archer666 posted:

Ranked should be just like the arcades. You lose and want to rematch, please insert 100 yen.

They did that already in Tekken Revolution

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Hyper Inferno posted:

What is that red stick? It looks like it has clips to attach to something?

https://www.victrixpro.com/showroom/fight-stick-pro-fs

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
In ST for throws, the player doing a reversal throw will always win if both characters are in throw range. With O. Hawk, his tick throw OS with the DP pushes him out of the range of almost every reversal throw except Gief SPD.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Dias posted:

It's choppy as hell and I can't tell if it's just a bad capture decision or not.

I think in a post-Power Rangers, post-GBF world people are more okay with simplified input fighting games, being an assist + tag game does add quite a bit of possible depth to it. The character they showed up has a cool kit too.

I didn't get the whole RiotDirect server thing or how it'd improve P2P connections at all tho.

You connect to a localize node which then uses more direct routing to your opponent than normal ISP routing. Riot has been buying fiber optic lines and data centers to do this for over 6 years.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
The game is pretty fun and there is some crazy bullshit you can do with most characters. I think if anything there should be more of a penalty for running out of meter because you can make people block 4 or 5 special moves in a block string while trying to guard crush with only one real opportunity to escape before the meter recharges and you can do it again.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Just make games with easy to use, fast, stable matchmaking and and people will play online. No one has done this yet.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
People didn’t play killer instinct because it was an Xbox exclusive for a long time and because of the visual style. I’d say that’s way more common of an opinion rather than “it sucks” or “the mechanics were too different”. People that played the game mostly enjoyed it at a competitive level for many years.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
The Japanese article basically says crossplay is hard so don’t hold your breath for a steam release because we don’t want to split the playerbase.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

brainSnakes posted:

idgaf about no Trojans or horses, but the part about no steam release makes me sad because I'm pc only for my fighty games. No virtua fights for me.

You can play online using the rpcs3 emulator now. You gotta find another person willing to set up the emulator, but it works pretty well.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Glagha posted:

I dunno if this is a good place to ask but the corners are hosed up on my stick (stock Razer Panthera EVO) and I dunno what to do about it outside of like... buy a new stick. I thought I saw something online about PCB replacement to fix it but I wanted to check before trying something like that. You can see the issue here: https://streamable.com/syuu5e. I'm just inputting 3, 1, 7, 9 with a punch in between and you can see the up angles are wiggly or not catching the diagonal. It's kinda random what corners are hosed and I can sometimes get the right input if I REALLY jam it in there but it's kinda impossible to play like this. Any advice?

Before you just buy a new stick, open it up and see if a wire or something is stuck between the lever and the microswitch.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
The game also works for me. I played some non-ranked online matches last night too which worked with no connection issues. I think the most confusing part about the PC port is there is no native 1440p output.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Tae posted:

Is there a short to to doing qcf punch, qcb+hcf?

You can't use the super input for the first qcf but there are alternative inputs you can do for the qcb+hcf that might be more comfortable:

qcb,qcb+f or qcb+qcf (drop the downback input)

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Gavok posted:

Apparently, she made a lot of really rough comments that absolutely should get you dropped, but Kotaku is only focusing on the height thing for reasons.

That wasn’t true, it was google translated screenshots from a Japanese blog post and Kotaku deleted that part because it’s unfounded.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004

Jazerus posted:

i mean

it might be true but she deleted the evidence one way or the other

No she didn’t, there was no “evidence” to begin with. The source was some Japanese tweet https://pecopeco0721.com/archives/10702

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
Yeah people are going to be digging up all sorts of stuff, but specifically the anti-LGBT thing and racist remarks against black people that went viral on twitter are not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
When you are learning try to do it like a reverse super jump where you try to hit down right after you do the jump input. If you character has a special air normal like Benimaru down + D, then this isn't the best technique in a match but it will help get the timing better. If you hold the jump input for 1-4 frames it will come out as a hop and 5+ frames as a normal jump. Try doing multiple hops in a row in training mode with inputs on to see what your hands are doing.

Pockyless fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 18, 2022