Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I adore this game and I'm gonna plunk down the cash the second I get a chance to on the PSN. Playing this game reminds me of how I felt playing Demon's Souls all the way back when it first came out and I'm really enjoying learning how it all works and putting the systems together. It's got a lot of that first-try Demon's jank to it and obviously can't be as polished as the final Dark Souls which had years of prior work built up but I think Team Ninja really has something here with this. Stamina affecting everyone is a really cool decision, I like the damage system where position and hit location matters, and the setting is such a wonderful breath of fresh air from Soulsborne's. At first I didn't really care for the loot system because I do enjoy Souls' style of unique drops placed around the world, but it scratches that Diablo/Borderlands-y coloured loot itch when you slice off a spear guy's head and like five items drop out of him.

What exactly do the Kodamas do when you rescue them? I found 6/7 when going through the fishing village and can't remember for the life of me what they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

New E3 trailer, another demo coming in August.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdSzvrwp4fk

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Demo starts on August 23rd.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Nioh is at Gamescom 2016! Here's their press release and a new trailer, looks like we're going to mess up some spider cave this time around.

quote:

Following the overwhelming success of the Alpha Demo in April—as well as the community’s generous feedback—the Nioh Beta Demo will incorporate a number of gameplay changes made with fans in mind, which will be immediately noticeable upon their return to the village of Usuki. This first stage of the demo will offer new challenges and the opportunity to once again fight for the mysterious Mark of the Conqueror DLC. Warriors who conquered Usuki and procured the DLC during the Alpha Demo won’t be left wanting, however, as they will receive a set of weapons and more starting money. These champions will also have the opportunity to play through the new Nakatsu stage without having to clear Usuki again.

The new Nakatsu stage leads protagonist William along a treacherous mountain path to a deep cave, where he must prevail against human and supernatural enemies alike—including the seductive Hinoenma, a dangerous Yokai under the guise of a beautiful woman. Defeating the Nakatsu stage will award players with the Mark of the Strong DLC, which will be available when the game launches.

The experience gained from the trials of Usuki and Nakatsu should equip the most skilled players for an even more challenging undertaking: the Twilight mission. In this arduous mission, players can re-visit Usuki or Nakatsu, battle against stronger enemies and new fearsome creatures, and earn highly-valued items.

The Beta Demo will also feature a selection of new weapons, including the long-range hand cannon rifle and a fresh selection of Katanas (including dual-wielded Katanas), Spears, Axes and Hammers which will provide new options to suit any gameplay style. In addition, players will get a taste of Onmyo magic and Ninjutsu elements of combat, which add bonuses to William’s attack and can invoke special techniques to provide various effects.

Lastly, to better prepare players for the trials that await, a Training Dojo has been added to the demo. This tutorial stage has been implemented to teach newcomers how to fight with a katana, the most basic yet refined of weapon choices, and how to navigate through the game. The Training Dojo will be available from the beginning of the demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjwZRxPUd1g

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Belzac posted:

I pretty much only buy digital at this point. But SCEA is such a joke I might actually get Nioh from a gamestop or something similar and save myself 4 hours of reloading the store.

If Nioh is like every other PS4 game on the PSN, it'll probably have preloading.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The PS4 Slim is apparently going to make it even easier to swap out hard drives. Allegedly there's just a little cover you can take off the side of the unit and slide the hard drive right out.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Nioh launches worldwide simultaneously on February 9th, 2017. Just announced at TGS.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 13, 2016

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Nioh will have PS4 Pro support and will be published by Sony in North America and Europe so I'm fairly positive that rules out a PC port.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Nioh is getting a digital deluxe edition and some pre-order bonuses.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

That clause has always been bullshit because there's games dating back as far as the PS2 era that came out on physical with only Japanese voice tracks.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The rewards for clearing the alpha and the beta have been revealed. Another neat feature is that the game has a vanity system for its gear, so you can change your good stat gear to look like any other gear you want while keeping the stats intact!

You can watch the recorded stream here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD29IDN-m1I

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I feel like I need some kind of little Ni-Oh play guide to get the most out of this because I see everyone talking about ki pulses and stance switches and whatnot and here I am just kind of fumbling around with a katana in middle stance and acting like its Dark Souls.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

When's Nobunyaga.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Now that you bring up Miyamoto Musashi, I'm kinda hoping there's a seaside duel against him and he's got the oar and everything.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Alright I'm locked in on digital deluxe and ready to roll.

I was going to just get the standard physical edition, but game prices in Canada are so messed up that it costs $91 in total after tax for a retail game but the PSN (which doesn't charge taxes) is selling the digital deluxe for $100 so I effectively got the season pass for an extra 9 dollars. Thanks PSN!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Snak posted:

Does the game feel a lot easier than the demos to anyone else? I have only played up through the first main mission and the afformentioned submission, but I am kicking some serious rear end.

This is the best game ever. It feels so good to play. i know it's gonna get harder, and this is a difficulty curve I am okay with.

I figure it's just the playstyle updates they did between betas or maybe just the time spent on the game during them, but I feel a lot more proficient at this too.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Red Demon and Warrior of the West are pretty much on 9/10 revs I ever fight, I fight all of them.

I just reached the fourth region and just about every Revenant I'm fighting now pays out in Red Demon. I used to get all Warrior of the West and just built up like that but I guess the game's gonna force my katana-waving rear end to change over to Red Demon at this rate. At least you guys make it sound really useful.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So is the game really meant to ramp up hard in mission level later on? I've just finished the Sekigahara Region and most of the levels were easily 10-15 levels higher than what I currently was, and it's not like I'm speedrunning I'm going out of my way to kill everything and comb every inch of the maps and do co-op too.

JBP posted:

Was going to say this. The last time I was surprised by a cool new enemy was in region 2 I think (the big tongue dudes). There are the birds men and the ribbon ladies, but gently caress the bird man and the ribbon lady can't fight for poo poo.

My immediate reaction to the stage that had an arena with two bird men was gently caress THIS NOISE (got it in two tries)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

JBP posted:

I like to drop into missions that are a single arena littered with gravestones to pick up a guaranteed bounty of purple items to go and smash up at the forge.

Any good suggestions for stages like this?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Wow, this Sawamura castle stage is terrible. I keep getting lost, there's all these jerk-rear end spiders, and that last Kodama took me 25 minutes before I gave up and just used a YouTube guide instead. gently caress you Sawamura castle.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

William made it in to Tecmo Koei's crossover Warriors game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

It's not very stylish, but Tengu are really easy to plink to death with hit-and-run attacks. Their kick-spin combo hits really hard and has full 360° coverage, which also means they can easily be tricked into spamming it and opening themselves up for a hit or two at a time. Just have to watch out for the occasional staff-swing they chain onto the end.

Yeah that's how I'm handling it. You bait out the one-two combo, get a couple hits, keep an itchy trigger finger on the guard if they do the stick follow-up. It works for most times except that awful mission where you fight two at once.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Debut footage of William in Musou Stars. He's got his own stage which looks like the Tower of London and they even worked Ki Pulse into his moveset, but it sounds like he's got a different voice actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGgPzt7RhZU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Just finished this up, 86 deaths at around 60-ish hours? What a wonderful game, even if that final boss is a little disappointing. Definitely have to run through this on NG+ and get into this Divine stuff.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Is there any way to tell what stages you've already found a Hot Springs in?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

RatHat posted:

Just finished the final main mission. Did anyone else find the triple clone Kelley fight harder than the actual boss?

Also that shameless DLC tease.

You can sort of shimmy into the room and only get one or two of them to spawn at once. I learned very early on in this game that a lot of human enemies are really easy to bait into getting close enough for Iai attacks so I just dissected them one at a time with a few Iais each.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I wish it were easier to access these Twilight Missions. All I have left to do for the Platinum is get the Blacksmith requests out of the way and get 100% mission completion, but I can apparently only do 4 at most every day and there's something like 9 missions total.

Oh well, at least this gives me the chance to kill more time at Ohashi Bridge and grind Revenants for divine drops!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Stangg posted:

When do the magic and ninjitsu mystic arts quests appear? (I'm in the final region)

You have to level Magic and Dexterity to level 20 to unlock them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Stangg posted:

Ah so it's not like all the other quests in that they appear but not accessible?

Yeah, they're hidden until you reach the stat requisite. It's kind of confusing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Edit: Wow I'm getting mixed up here, there are 10/15/20 Magic/Dexterity gated missions at the Dojo but I'm not sure if they're regionally linked.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 23, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Nioh has sold 1 million units around the world! Results are digital and retail combined.

To celebrate, they're going to give out free Nioh Golden Armor!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Forgot to mention this but the Golden Nioh Armor coincides with title update 1.04. No English language patch notes but if you want to Google Translate then here you go. From the sounds of "Fixed a problem that certain enemies sometimes continue to emit Amrita" I guess they fixed the Teahouse glitch.

Here's an image of the Golden Nioh Armor too.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Okay so what's the gimmick for Orochi? I've heard enough people trash this fight to know that it won't be fun to learn.

So far "kill the heads as fast as possible and hope you don't get massacred by offscreen projectiles except for when you do" seems like a pretty primo strategy, as in literally the only one I see.

What I did was use the giant Amrita stones as cover while getting in close to the snake head and bait out the bite. You dodge it, they bite the rock, and the Amrita that comes out goes into the snake head all at once and causes them to OD on Amrita. When they OD on the Amrita, their head flops onto the ground and you can stab the crystal horn they have and do huge damage.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Just got my Platinum. Loved this game, can't wait to play the DLC!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

zelah posted:

Help me out with Soul Match. I have a Nami-oyogi Kanemitsu (warrior of the west water sword) that I love. Attack 508, purple "change to attack (heart) A+" making it still the strongest thing I have despite being level 58. I can use soul match to bring it to level 74, which makes the attack 533, bit brings the "change to attack (heart) A-"

Is this normal? None of the other attributes like water damage or damage from behind change, just the heart scaling. Should I avoid doing this?

When you rebuild the familiarity it should return to A+

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I get the feeling that Nioh's plot was designed with the idea that the Japanese have a good idea of how the Warring States conflict went so they just broadstroke a ton of the events in between the cutscenes with that in mind but when it comes to foreigners we're just confused.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

By the way, most of the character models (Ieyasu, Hattori, Okatsu) are based (very accurately) on the famous Japanese actors who voice them in game.

On a related note, I enjoy that Tecmo Koei has a single unified "look" for Nobunaga Oda that only slightly changes from game to game. So whether he's a demon king, a samurai warlord, an undead overlord, or a tiny cat he's got the same basic features established in Samurai Warriors.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Musou Stars. It's their new crossover game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I actually did the Meeting on the Other Shore first and found it way easier than the Nioh one, like Lady Noh just kind of trundles around firing stuff from a distance and Oda does rushdown so all you had to do was run to one end, let Nobunaga charge at you, do your sloth/carnage/nerfing stuff and whale on him and when Noh got in your face you just ran to the other end. Took me like 3 tries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

Just made it to NG+ and played around for a few hours in it.

It seems like the best thing to do is get your armor set in divine, then start getting it up to +10 right? I'm a spear user, so luckily.... red demon armor everywhere. Just gonna work on getting it to +10, and maybe reroll for bonuses here and there.

NG+ doesn't seem that much harder. Plus I like that you can torii gate everything, so I'm just clearing it like a mofo with summons.

Honestly, just trying to play it enough to finish those 0 blacksmith requests to finish off the platinum. And try not to be too overleveled for DLC.

Is there a good gold farm?

It wasn't that hard to get the trophy, just a little bit of a pain. First thing you should do is go talk to the blacksmiths, mash X through their dialogue over and over again as you eventually get questions you can answer for free points. I think I got a dozen or so points this way. Put every point you get into increasing the rate of selling values. I then went to the small bridge submission in the 4th area and farmed revenants for divine gear, filled my entire inventory with them (if you trigger the fight or run out of revenants just run off the bridge) and then took these items back to the blacksmith to sell them. You're going to get at least a couple million out of all that, and then what you do is spend it on Books of Reincarnation. When you buy enough of them the price raises to a million a pop. It can cost roughly 20 million IIRC to get the 60 points you need for the requests.