Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I have a dead deer in my back yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Motronic posted:

Call your state's game/wildlife division. They will probably come get rid of it for you (they will likely want to know why one just dropped dead other than being hit by a car).

They're closed today but supposedly someone else on Facebook had a similar issue and MDC told them to just shove it into a dumpster. Given my prior experience that sounds like a plausible response.

Edit: Missouri Department of Conservation

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Baddog posted:

Imagining you and a friend pulling up to the back of a mcdonalds and heaving a bloated rancid deer carcass into their dumpster

"the state told me to do this"

edit for some content - I dunno, maybe call the non emergency police line? They'll get a giggle out of it at least. I'm guessing you don't have enough land where the other wildlife will take care of it in a day or two. And this thing is gonna get kinda nasty quick.

I called the police first, they directed me to the MDC!

I could hypothetically drag it to the trees where the property line is kinda fuzzy but my wife has too much deer-related anxiety to allow that.

Edit: $500 to pay for removal, in case anyone was wondering.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Just reanimate the deer and send it on its way, let it deanimate somewhere else

It would've been easy to puppeteer too, it's rear end had been conveniently gnawed open overnight.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Something.

In the lake…

Why is the neighbors' house empty? Oh they're doing renovations, probably.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Baddog posted:

I'm guessing there wasn't much more drama involved, but what'd you end up doing with that deer?

FIL came over and took it away. Wife has some deer trauma so she didn't ask for details.

Edit: it cost me three cases of Miller Light.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Anybody have tool recommendations for trimming tree branches that are brushing the house?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure how "pole saw or pole clip" isn't the obvious thing here. Are the branches too high for that?

I mean one that doesn't suck rear end and break constantly I guess.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I have a pole pruner with a rope that breaks every year.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 14, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Zarin posted:

If it's within lopping distance, I've had a set of these things forever and everyone who has used them ends up wanting one:

https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/gardening-and-yard-care/products/loppers/powergear-lopper-32-391541-1002

The gear thing LOOKS like it would be some sort of stupid gimmick but I'll be damned if it doesn't seem to actually work.

That's not what I need for my trees but it does look cooler than my own loppers.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Tree trimming epilogue: I ended up climbing on the roof and only snagged my pole saw/clipper once, hooray. I managed to free it without falling off the roof.

Also, gently caress I'm old.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

brugroffil posted:

Ecobee will fire an alert if it's been calling for heating or cooling for a while and temps are still going the wrong way

My ecobee was very mad when it was like -20 here last winter and the heat pump and auxiliary toaster couldn't keep up.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

steckles posted:

I had to open up all the walls to replace the knob and tube wiring and have used it as an opportunity to remove the 11 billion coaxial plugs the previous owner had installed. What a way to live, always within 10 feet of a tv with cable at all times.

I'm grateful because I'm probably gonna need to use MoCA to route Internet through my new house. Built by old people so even though it's newer they didn't think to include Ethernet.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

I should pull mine out and run it as well. It's been several years. It was run dry last time it was run, so it should be OK. Probably should change the oil.

I don't think I've put 24-hours on it since I bought it in 2002. Got it after a 4-day power outage here in NJ, I had to sleep in my car with an inverter & my CPAP.

I was thinking about getting an inverter for emergency power from the car myself.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I like how you can pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a house and the door handles are still crooked. Also the master has a double door with a peg on the bottom of the door to hold it in place, but the peg-hole is on the ceiling. I don't think a single door latches properly. Just amazing, worth every penny.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Half the cabinet doors for the house I bought didn't open when I got the house (because they were built in a way that meant they were blocked by another door handle or appliance) and I had to remove and reattach them from the opposite side with different handles to put stuff away in my pantry. I also had to rework the latches on every exterior door and half the interior doors because the latch holes weren't remotely lined up with the latches and so the doors only closed by using the deadbolt. It really is impressive.

I bought my house from the previous owner so all the stuff wrong with it is just the stuff the previous owner didn't think was worth fixing.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

nwin posted:

Nextdoor and Facebook town groups have been a waste of time for me.

90% of the recommendations are just the spouse plugging their partners company.

“Sheila smith said: check out Smith plumbing llc. jay is a great guy and honest!”

Shiela smith: married to: Jay smith.

It’s loving annoying.

I found a plumber on Facebook because he was being plugged by his ex-wife so I figured it must be legit.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not mine :(

Both it and the local Home Depots have all
sorts of poo poo to rent but not these. My pet theory is that they likely walk off a lot and they’re both small and expensive compared to other tools, but that’s just wild conjecture out of frustration with not being able to borrow one.

I googled to see if I could rent one out of curiosity and somehow came across this scheme from a London power company:

quote:

FLIR Thermal Camera Scheme Terms & Conditions

TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE USE OF THERMAL CAMERAS

General

These Terms and Conditions apply to the ‘FLIR Thermal Imaging Camera’ Scheme (the “Scheme”). By entering the Scheme, you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions:

Details specific to the Scheme are displayed on our website; https://octopus.energy/blog/flir-thermal-cameras/
The Scheme will be run by Octopus Energy Limited, a company registered in England and Wales with registered number 09263424 and registered office 33 Holborn, London, EC1N 2HT (“Octopus Energy”)
These terms and conditions are the rules (“Rules”) that apply to this Scheme. By entering this Scheme, you are agreeing to be bound by these Rules and any other applicable instructions.
Octopus Energy reserves the right to cancel or amend the Scheme and/or the Rules without prior notice, but we will do our best to avoid doing so. Any changes will be posted on our website.
In the event of any dispute regarding any aspect of the Scheme, the decision of Octopus Energy shall be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
These Scheme terms and conditions are separate to the terms and conditions for the supply of gas and electricity that you will have with Octopus Energy and will not affect your rights and obligations under those terms.
Heh, "scheme". :ninja:

Anyway I've been going crazy in my new house trying to figure out why the sewer ejector pump is running every five minutes. I turned off the water main but it hasn't affected the timing so far. Currently considering that it might be the check valve is bad. Or groundwater is seeping in which would be really bad for flooding potential I think. There are so many goddamn pipes and tubes in and out of the basement.

Edit: Actually it does seem like it's taking over six minutes now after having the main off, so maybe it is a plumbing issue? Can't figure what it could be though.
Edit2: Okay I ran the taps dry and it's still going every six minutes so I'm back to suspecting the check valve.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 9, 2024

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

My sump pump goes on about that often because we have a high water table here and water is constantly seeping into the sump pit, which my neighbors confirmed when I mentioned it to them a while back since they have the same thing going on. The flipper who had this house before me didn't put in a check valve so once I added that it reduced the amount of time between when the pump would kick on because half the water wasn't just dumping back into the sump pit out of the pipe after being pumped upwards when the pump would turn off.

It could very well just be normal for your area, see what your neighbors say about it. I know I need to get some kind of backup for the power down there in case I lose power because my basement will very likely flood if that pump goes out for any significant amount of time.

Yeah my sump seems to be doing that as well (it rained last night), but what I'm concerned about is the sewer ejector pump.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Sub-freezing cold front is slated to hit next week. I miss the days when that meant “oooh let’s make chili” and not “ah crap let’s prep for days without power and potential catastrophic water issues”

Also I just realized that one of my outdoor spigots doesn't have any apparent shutoff, so I guess I need to get a faucet cover before it hits below degrees F this weekend.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 9, 2024

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Anyway I've been going crazy in my new house trying to figure out why the sewer ejector pump is running every five minutes. I turned off the water main but it hasn't affected the timing so far. Currently considering that it might be the check valve is bad. Or groundwater is seeping in which would be really bad for flooding potential I think. There are so many goddamn pipes and tubes in and out of the basement.

Edit: Actually it does seem like it's taking over six minutes now after having the main off, so maybe it is a plumbing issue? Can't figure what it could be though.
Edit2: Okay I ran the taps dry and it's still going every six minutes so I'm back to suspecting the check valve.

I unplugged the ejector for an hour to see if it was just pumping the same water repeatedly through the faulty check valve, and it ran more than twice as long when I plugged it back in. So I'm not really sure what to think about that, I sorta figured it would just run for the normal 5 seconds.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Motronic posted:

What are the realistic chances it's not a combination of all three?

:shrug:

I called a plumber for tomorrow so hopefully he can help me figure it out. If it's groundwater then I guess my basement is gonna flood twenty minutes after the power goes out.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

That indicates that it is at least mostly re-pumping the same water over and over. If it was actually collecting water that needed pumping you would expect it to run nearly 10x as long since it missed 10 cycles. The 2x extra pump time could be chalked up to more of the already pumped water draining back in.

A check valve would be a very good idea.

It has a check valve but it might be stuck or something. I tried banging on it and insulting it but to no avail.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Looking at some of the other things in this house, for instance the kitchen drawer that physically could not open because it hit the handle of another drawer around the bend in the counter, it was some combination of all three.

I can't open the window shutter (or window) over the kitchen sink without removing the faucet.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

A part of me felt silly about the generator install.

Don't feel silly anymore!

What kind of generator?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nybble posted:

More and more I’m just going to get things in person, but even the store’s “in stock” counter is wrong about 20% of the time (even more for Target). Extremely frustrating that we are almost back to “call store to have a person look at a thing to check it’s in stock” like I used to do 20 years ago.

Don't be silly, calling to talk to someone nowadays is usually harder than driving there yourself.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I like KeePass for passwords and I have it in Dropbox so I can access it on my phone or PC. Also it's safe from fires. Aside from that a book is perfect, that's what my wife uses.

StormDrain posted:

That's true it's still a pain in the butt to write a longer password with the 'arcade game high score' method of typing.

Every time I log into something on the TV I'm tempted to change the password to something like vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Oops backed the car into the closed garage door and bent it slightly. Just breaking in the new house a little.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tremors posted:

Did you start your car with the door shut? :ohdear:

Yeah. My wife actually, although I nearly did the same thing.

She suggested that it's because the new house has motion lights in the garage, and we're used to opening the garage door to turn the light on.

Edit: I left the door open for a bit to air it out.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 15, 2024

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
After all the work I did keeping the water lines from freezing, my sump discharge line seems to have frozen. Made for an eventful night panicking, then cutting the discharge and taping a hose on.

Or it is clogged because it just discharges to the street but that seems too coincidental.

Also my sewer ejector pump is still running every five minutes at peak but gently caress it, I'll roll the dice on it for a couple months, I'm already too overwhelmed.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Sewer ejector pump question:

Mine was running every 6 minutes at peak despite me not running water anywhere that should enter the pit. Thought maybe it was recycling water or catching drainage due to a bad check valve so had that replaced (with a quieter one). But the pump is still going every six minutes at peak.

I have a couple thoughts on possibilities:
1) the new check valve broke already. It does sound like water is running back down the discharge pipe for a while after pumping, same as before replacement. But maybe I'm just misinterpreting the sound.

2) ground water is entering the pit, acting as a second sump pump. I can hear running water into the pit, even with nothing in the house running, which should not be. The frequency of pumping does seem to correlate to rainfall at least loosely.

I guess my most urgent question is, how likely is it that my house will flood if the pump fails and 2 is correct? Will water rise out of the pit, or just find its level (apparently above the pump trigger point) and get pumped out by the actual sump? Should I be calling an emergency plumber to investigate and, I don't know, reinforce the pit or whatever you'd do?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

If it is not, then you have a serious problem with your sewer crock. They are not easy or cheap to replace, but a plumber can answer all of that. Does the ejector service the entire house, or only the circuit that's below the level of the sewer lateral to the street (in the basement)?

I shut off water to the basement toilet, with no visible impact yet. That, two sinks and furnace condensation drip should be the only sources feeding the sewer ejector as far as I understand the new house. Possibly also drains above the lateral, if the check valve is not working properly.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm wondering if someone installed a French drain and routed it to the ejector pump to try and save money.

That's interesting. I hope not because I think I would need a battery backup for the sewer in that case.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

You have to route it to a separate crock.

Do you have a separate crock & pump for the french drain? I have been assuming that you do.

I don't even think I have a French drain but I've only owned the house for a few weeks. It could have a gutter draining into it for all I know. I have a sump pump and a sewer ejector pump.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Biggest issue is accessing the sewer pit. Usually, the cap is bolted down tight & opening it is a (fragrant) project.

Yeah, that's why I haven't done that yet. And other broken stuff being higher priority.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

Just to be clear, the sump pump is in a separate pit than the ejector pump, right? I think that's what you're saying, but want to be 100% on that.

Additionally, you have shut off the water to all things you think are feeding the pit the ejector pump is in, and it's still cycling every 6 minutes or so, right?

Can you take a photo or two of the ejector pump setup? That'd be helpful here I think.

I forgot to answer these but yeah the pits are separate. I don't have a picture handy but the sewer pit is a screwed on lid with a discharge pipe (with check valve) routed to the main sewer outlet pipe, and what I assume is a vent next to it. Can't really see anything else until I take the lid off (or have someone do it).

Edit: should also say it isn't always every six minutes (not now for instance), that's just the peak I've noticed. When I turned the main off for an hour it seemed to slow down by a minute.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My new house has tall doors that are all noisy as hell.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

I'm curious how it's tied into the sewer outlet pipe, I wonder if it's getting some flow back from the sewer outlet pipe in combination with a failed check valve.

But honestly shutting the main off and having it continue to cycle does make me think groundwater.

Yeah the period changes from day to day but not moment to moment. Like, running the dishwasher or taking a shower doesn't make it cycle more frequently or anything. So that makes me think it's ground water.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

It shouldn't be, better not be, and probably isn't. The pump trigger rate will be dictated by the groundwater volume, so it'll absolutely fluctuate before eventually stopping as the water level drops.

https://i.imgur.com/aYDRay2.mp4

* Between this post and my last one, my basement flooded due to sump pump failure. Caught it before the entire basement got hit, but it turned my Sunday afternoon from relaxing with football to plumbing & water extraction. Fortunately, Home Depot just got a shipment in. Also picked up a skimmer pump to draw down the crock first.

Then my trusty 12-gallon Wet-Vac died. It had been going for about a year, then it sucked water through somehow in a coup de grace. To Lowe's this time.

I'm convinced anyone with a sump pump should own a utility pump and enough hose to empty the pit through the window in an emergency. There's always an emergency.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

The real pro move is using an automatic soap dispenser. Makes washing dishes way more bearable.

Wait till you hear about automatic dish washers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

Not a recommendation for that specific pump, just for that style of pump as a backup. They use a lot of water - like, for every 2 gallons of sump water, you're using 1 gallon of city water to pump it - but an expensive water bill is less than dealing with a flooded basement.

I already have a (battery) backup pump, and then my discharge line froze. Also apparently the battery got fried by an electric surge previously.

I wonder if my municipal code allows for water powered backup pumps.