Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

Plus side: It would be a proper design for Flash Thompson Venom.

:drat:

The comic shop near me has six weeks to live and has a sale on everything. Any good trade paperbacks with flash Thompson venom? That was going on when i didn’t have comic shops handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

Tony Stark as portrayed by RDJ is a compelling character, Loki is as well, most of the Guardians cast is, Captain America is in his own films but not really in the Avengers ones. They're characters you're immediately drawn to. You care what happens to them and understand what they're about and want to see more of them.

An example of a character that isn't compelling is Hawkeye. Like, he's fine. I guess.

Renner wasn’t a great choice for Hawkeye. He’s the kind of actor that’s just... there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

David D. Davidson posted:

I don't think they will, on the whole the marvel has been pretty good about avoiding secret identity melodrama.

The ending of Iron Man blew my drat mind. After years of Spider Man and Batman movies playing up the secret identity plot lines , having tony just come out an say “I am Iron Man” was fantastic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

site posted:

I'm quite okay with the MCU skipping out on secret identity drama bs

Secret identity plots are like seeing Batman’s parents get shot. It worked the first couple times but I’ve had about enough of it by now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Decius posted:

It was a movie that was on par with your average Thor (outside Ragnarok), down to the great acting by the main character, the fun sidekick of the love interest, boring villain and average story. That's outstanding for DC, but Oscar material? No, sorry, I don't see it.

It was a decent movie, but I feel like 90 percent of the hype was “first female superhero movie that wasn’t Catwoman” and “first DC movie that wasn’t unwatchable garbage”. I enjoyed it, but the pacing was a bit crap, and the third act went off the rails.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Logan is the same way, except I guess not all the X-Men movies were bad.

I’m gonna disagree here. Logan’s pacing felt more “deliberate” than “slow at the beginning, speed up frantically, slam the brakes, speed up to get to the third act where a bunch of CGI stuff happens as someone else reenacts the ending of Cap 1”.

Logan also had some real emotional heft to it. Some of it is that it’s an ending to some really long running character arcs, but everything had a kind of resigned finality to it. Things were winding down for everyone on the screen: the end of the mutants, Wolverine is losing his ability to heal, the family they stay with is losing their home and business, and the Professor is becoming old and senile. Professor X’s dementia patient stuff was also handled really realistically, which was... depressing. The action scenes had a real element of visceral horror to them, too. It was a movie that really wanted to make you uncomfortable and succeeded. I saw Logan before I went in for a night shift and regretted I didn’t give myself time to take a walk or something afterwards. Wonder Woman was kind of standard superhero stuff and none of it really stuck with me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr Hootington posted:

This is the firat MCU movie I'm disinterested in.

For me it’s been Ant Man (I always liked him as an Avenger, solo stuff not so much), GotG (I’ve been reading Marvel since I was five and was like “who the gently caress are these guys?”), and Thor Ragnarok (since 2 was so bad). So far I’m 3 for 3 for being pleasantly surprised.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

Someone took a toddler to my Logan screening. :(

Jesus. Why would you do that? I felt like I needed a walk to clear my head after that movie. I can’t imagine how a kid would take it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Civil War, at least, didn’t end with the villain losing by being punched a lot. There was a fight, sure, but it wasn’t with Zemo. I thought that was done well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

achillesforever6 posted:

Honestly I feel like Tom Hardy would fit better in a Darkness movie, except the symbiotic death tendrils should definitely be voiced by Mike Patton

Sign me the hell up. Patton was fantastic as the voice of the darkness in the games. I haven’t seen any movies with him doing monster noises in a while.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Anyone with a crush on MBJ needs to check out Creed.

It’s such a fantastic movie.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I somehow missed Josh Brolin being cast as Cable in Deadpool 2 until two minutes ago. So he’s going to be playing two different marvel characters in movies released two weeks apart? That’s kind of awesome.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I rationalize it as letting your ai teammates in video games (shooters/sports/etc) do poo poo on their own. It works but not really.

Part of the problem with armor wars, in the movies and comics, is why hasn't he trained people to fly the other suits?

Yeah, the AI ones came in handy in that last battle on the boat but a lot of them got taken out by things that wouldn’t have worked with Tony running them directly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Dude, he always looks like that.

Yeah, he was in amazing shape for Creed as well.

E: and he’s doing Creed 2 right after this, so at least it’s for two movies in a row.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I thought for sure it would be getting reviewbombed to hell and back.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I mean, i don’t always mind it myself since killing your villain gets around that whole “Batman could save countless lives by finally just offing the joker” type quandary, but yeah, they’ve taken out some villains they could have gotten a lot of mileage from pretty early.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Jesus, Black Panther is expecting to make as much domestic gross in 4 days as Justice League did total. That’s nuts.

Gonna see it on Tuesday, can’t wait.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just got out of Black Panther and was worried that I’d be dissapointed after all the hype, but holy poo poo that may have been the best Marvel movie. I’m probably gonna see it again over my weekend.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, the Storm and T’Challa thing in the comics felt like a pretty transparent “Who are our biggest black characters? Welp, have them get married” attempt to get a crossover event started.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought Storm marrying T'Challa was part of Reginald Hudlin's run on BP. Might have my timeline wrong, though.

I liked Storm and T'Challa as members of the FF with Ben and Johnny during Dwayne McDuffie's too-short run on that book.

Yeah, the Storm/Black Panther wedding was Hudlin’s, so calling it the result of tone-deaf white people not knowing what to do with black characters was a little eye-roll inducing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Unmature posted:

I mean, yeah if you ignore like a huge chunk of their casting.

Unless you were the world's biggest Tom Holland fan two years ago.

Yeah, the overwhelming majority of their leads weren’t really popular prior to their casting. RDJ’s career was in shambles, Chris Evans was in... I know the badly received F4 movies, but I have no idea what else..., they ditched Norton as Hulk after one movie and replaced him with a B-lister. I guess Pratt was famous before GotG, but as a sitcom actor. Their movies are full of big stars, but a lot of them became household names from being in Marvel movies.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mikeraskol posted:

Well then if this is what you meant by them being starfuckers this is a stupid loving standard and conversation because nobody for their 200 million dollar movie is going "hmmmm let me pull some dude that does a play in a warehouse in LA twice a week." Casting B+ to B- list actors is very different from being starfuckers and chasing big names to the detriment of casting, which I would say Marvel doesn't do.

Yeah. Marvel has pretty much nailed the casting for all their major characters. Calling the studio “starfuckers” because you’ve heard of the people they’re casting before is kind of baseless.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samovar posted:

That's why you go for interesting ones, like that one X-com LP which had one of the developers guest-commentating on it.

X-com makes for great LPs for the same reason it makes for great replays. You develop stories about these mooks over the course of tens of missions where poo poo went sideways and heroic comebacks went down. I still remember the name of the first soldier I had that hit colonel in my OG XCOM playthrough 20 years ago (:rip: Harold Kemp).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

site posted:

brubaker's winter soldier arc started in 05? thats the most recent i can think of

when was extremis a thing in iron man?

2005 for extremis I believe, it was right before Civil War.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really wonder how Aquaman is going to turn out. I feel like it’ll either be a trash fire or just alright, and I don’t think an alright DC movie that isnt Wonder Woman has enough hype to carry it past flopdom.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kai Tave posted:

I mean but not really.

Yeah, crossbones blew up the city block, she just moved the explosion somewhere else where it killed 17 people instead of a few hundred.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

I know we all hate Tom Cruise for Scientology but he's a hard worker who totally commits to his roles and loves scifi movies. Think of all the scifi movies, some terrible some excellent, he's put out in the last 10 to 15 years. I think he'd be a great pick for GL, though I don't think that article is definitive.

Yeah, Cruise is a pretty solid actor, but someone who really, really needs to get cast as a villain again at some point. He was amazing in Collateral and no one has really tapped that side of his acting since.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, there’s a pretty big difference between someone saying they have orders that they think should be followed,and doing the “just following orders” defense. It’s really weird to not be able to see the difference. It’s not even being blind to subtlety.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dark Phoenix X-Mans

I am tentatively looking forwards to this. Apocalypse was a misstep but the other recent XMen movies have been pretty drat good, so I’ll forgive them this time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Those look like the unis from Morrison’s New X-Men run. I’m guessing it’s set in the 90’s? Those are almost certainly either early 90’s shuttle LES suits or late 90’s ACES suits.

I didn’t even think of the fact that this will be the X-men that made me into a Marvel fan. Yep, gonna see this.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Black Panther crossed the billion dollar worldwide mark.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Beck is the rare second generation Scientologist. It’s hard to blame him.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just got a news alert on my phone that they’re making their own TV network, so there must be a decent amount of them out there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jiro posted:

I hope it's "Kick rear end" Nicolas Cage.

Con Air Nick Cage as Superman, KickAss Nick Cage as Batman. Problem solved.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I thought the half the universe thing in IW was going to be he is the last Titan on account of his people’s unchecked growth, and he wants to prune the universe so that it doesn’t happen to everything.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

site posted:

Jon bernthal and Mike colter can stay

Jon Bernthal can move up to the drat movies. I would love to see him as an anti-villain in the next spider man.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s a good reflection on Marvel that three of their best films have come out in less than a year

Yeah, it would have been so easy for them to keep rehashing the same stuff, but instead they went and got three quality directors who weren’t giant names or known for big budget action movies (I’m including Gunn in that since he wasn’t known for that before 1) and let them go nuts. I’ve always liked the marvel movies but the phase three stuff has been fantastic.

E:add up the budget for all the movies all three directors did before doing Marvel, and you’re still at half the budget of Thor 3.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 20, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I mean, I’m gonna go see it on Friday but I don’t have high hopes, which sucks since Pacific Rim is one of my favorite big dumb movies.

Ever since they announced GDT wasn’t back I’ve been like “welp”.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Rami Malek would be a good Osborne. He could definitely pull off completely unhinged but buying into his own bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BlackJosh posted:

(the first one being the weakest but I love it)

It’s kind of weird how much better the Marvel movies have gotten. I absolutely loved them when they came out but the new stuff is miles ahead. I rewatched Iron Man a few weeks ago and it absolutely holds up, but that doesn’t mean it’s not totally surpassed by stuff like Civil War. Some of it is the decade (!) of character development, but it’s also the writing and directing and everything else.

• Locked thread