Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bruceski posted:

Godzilla 2014, Kong: Skull Island, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, and Godzilla vs Kong is looking like a decent MonsterVerse.

True, but they’re like two in. And, like Marvel did, they’re making solid movies before going all in on a CU thing. 2014 Godzilla and King Kong would stand on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s really too bad that plea-bargained out rapist and Nazi supporter Mike Thernovich has some kind of moral sway in the media instead of having died alone by his own hand a long long time ago.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nodosaur posted:

Like, it's not full on obscene, but there's a clear link between the irreverent and sometimes risque humor of Guardians and Gunn's earlier work. If you can't see that or believe that Disney didn't take his past work with Troma or his social media presence into account when they hired him, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah, there is no way they didn’t know about those tweets well in advance.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

His career isn't over though? There was an article this week that several studios want him. He's going to do a WoDC film without a doubt.

Yeah, but a lot of people want him back on GOTg3 because the first two ruled, and are also sad that Mike Cernovich is somehow relevant even though he’s a Nazi rapist.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

Also Gunn being rehired won't un-embolden the alt right.

No, but if a giant media conglomerate fired back with “remember when you plead guilty of battery after being charged with sexual assault” it might take the wind out of their sails. But they can’t do that, alas. And no one hired him for rape jokes, those were in his past even when GotG1 came out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

If Gunn gets rehired it'll be pretty obviously the fact he is a rich, influential white guy with several big successful movies under his belt that saved him. Not a single alt righter is gonna look at that and go, oh, guess I won't muckrake then. The lesson would be that these guys operate under different rules.

I think the fact he made some really well loved movies has more to do with people wanting him back than him being rich or white.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

The new official name for DC's films is Worlds of DC.

Is that because they’re doing things like the joker what if’s that aren’t quite in the same continuity?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jagermonster posted:

I like Marvel movies. I like the first two Guardians movies. I would rather have them end gracefully after two good movies than try to force another one amidst this clusterfuck and have it end up being bad.

Ideally, GotG3 would start up as a time travel adventure where they found a Mike Thernovich dead by his own hand in the late 90’s before he could rape anyone, collect a check, and go on to go on a galactic adventure.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 26, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

The bigger issue is that Gunn was set to play an influential part in Marvel productions moving forward. It's not just GotG3 that's being held up here by the firing. Everything's in disarray until they figure out how to sort this whole mess out.

Especially because a pled-out rapist did this by making a fuss out of some old twitter jokes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Unrelated to comic book movies, I am annoyed by Cernovitch’s continued relevance (and existence)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

It's entirely possible that the people at Disney KNOW they hosed up, but they can't go back on the decision because it would make them look bad, from a corporate standpoint. Admitting you made a mistake and backpeddling like a little bitch vs doubling down and confidently exclaiming you MEANT to poo poo your pants.

That’s still better than bowing to Nazis.

And reversing course may make MC cut and run.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

I've never really confirmed this but in Incredible Hulk, wasn't Blonsky's "phase 1" transformation (the fight in the park) supposed to be a cheap knock off of the super soldier serum?

Wasn’t Ultimate Marvel still big back then? I remember thinking they were doing the Ultimate Marvel super-serum plot (which was kind of lovely, but not as lovely as the rest of UM) when it came out.

God, Ultimate Marvel sucked.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean half the poo poo he does on the mansion rescue wouldn't work if his power is just "goes fast" so he's more of a time manipulator that can extend his field around other poo poo and maybe tweak how fast/slow he reacts to poo poo and obviously all of this is passive so doesn't have to think about it and oh for fucks sake here I am thinking about comics again.

That’s actually part of what I liked about the DoFP scene more than the Apocalypse scene (that and being part of a better movie, but I did actually like Apocalypse. It felt very 90’s comics, tone-wise). In DoFP, quicksilver did stuff like hold up magneto’s head so he wouldn’t break his neck. It all felt a lot more... thought through?

Apocalypse scene still ruled but it just wasn’t as good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I look forward to every MCU flick with varying levels of excitement. The only one I've left the theater and gone UGH was Thor 2.

I rented Thor 2 on Amazon and couldn’t even muster an UGH. I forgot everything about that movie as I was watching it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I thought the bulletproof suit was dumb. And he shrugged off injuries that nearly killed him in the first one.

If you have a spare ten grand or so laying around you can actually go out and buy one of those bulletproof suits.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be fair, there is a sort of blockbuster curve. Justice League made over $600,000,000 dollars, but there was a clear tepid response.

Worldwide.

Black Panther and Infinity war both beat its overall domestic take in a weekend, which, when you consider how DC has been trying to get that Avengers money the whole time, is kinda hilarious.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Solo was aggressively bland for the most part. I have no interest in seeing JL. The trailers did not help.

I started watching JL on HBO but turned it off. It was terrible.

I’ve watched some pretty bad movies, but JL was slow, ugly, and... well, just BAD.

Like, I managed to finish Suicide Squad. Could not do that with JL.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, Infinity War 2 is probably doubt going to be the biggest movie of 2019. Even if Star Wars is successful, it won't beat everyone turning out to see the Avengers vs Thanos.

The only one I think could conceivably beat it is actually the Lion King live action movie.

I honestly hope that Avengers 4 bumps Avatar off the top of the all-time gross list because a movie that forgettable should not be the record holder.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

X-O posted:

I mean what even are the other other ones taken mostly straight from books?

Iron Man 3 adapted a lot from Extremis, but they definitely changed it up a lot in the process.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

The largest revenue for superhero movies has been from foreign markets since forever. You must have noticed that several countries have them on theaters a week or two before the US.

A significant reason for the early releases is to beat pirated copies to market. That tends to happen in countries where bootleg copies eat the most business.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jiro posted:

That movie is a loving masterpiece surpassed only by the first Blade movie. I'm still kinda salty they never kept using that actor as Frank.

He was really good but Jon Bernthal is probably the best casting ever for the role so I can deal. Would have liked to see the War Zone guy get to do another movie though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

There's no Michael Bay movie that's a good idea.

Pain and Gain was amazing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Koalas Massacre posted:

Yeah Stan Lee hit on my mom at Motor City Comic Con 2013. Even though I'm already inclined to believe women I definitely believe he would do this.

Have you ever been around dementia patients? That poo poo does not come on instantly and often manifests as inappropriately behavior. Given his last years I wouldn’t really go judging him for poo poo he said when he was 90.

(For context, worked as an EMT in an area with a lot of dementia patients, and had a lot of weird poo poo go down to the point I usually wanted an extra person in the ambulance with me as a witness with certain patients)

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 14, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sentinel Red posted:

Finally saw IW and yes, it was surprisingly enjoyable. Splitting everyone into weird little team-ups, the Hulk’s performance anxiety, the gross body horror of the Nebula scene, Strange owning every scene, and Brolin doing a grand job with the purple chap. And yes, the ending was hilarious.

I bet if Hawkguy had been there, he’d have saved the day/universe, though.

I loved the way that the split-ups all had bits that were comic-book issue sized. The way it was paced was the first time one of these movies really felt like a gigantic comic book crossover.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

X-O posted:

When Spider-Man Homecoming was released and Feige said the "8 Years Later" jump was wrong he said they'd eventually put out the real timeline for the movies. Here it is.

1943-1945: Captain America: The First Avenger
2010: Iron Man
2011: Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor
2012: The Avengers, Iron Man 3
2013: Thor: The Dark World
2014: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America: Civil War, Spider-Man: Homecoming
2016 through to 2017: Doctor Strange
2017: Black Panther, Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War

Huh, I would have thought they would stick with release year for stuff like Iron Man, considering that they mostly did that otherwise.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

It's a lot easier to sit through Suicide Squad than Wolf of Wallstreet.

:wrong:

And I managed to finish suicide squad. Somehow. Wolf of Wall Street is so much better in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
InfinityWar is finally coming to Netflix on the 25th. I kept thinking about buying it on digital but whenever I’ve done that it gets a Netflix release date like the next day.

• Locked thread