Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

texasmed posted:

There actually is DLC. Polish tech tree, custom units for a couple of countries, and some boats.

Also from what I've learned on the World War Wednesday videos, the battle plan AI is still going to require at least a little bit of micromanagement to keep your units from getting themselves surrounded. I think in some instances the AI would halt a number of divisions as they waited for one unit to get into position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeliuhVoUoI&t=538s

I'm still going to buy the game probably, but I wanted to point these two things out.

Just pointing out that the Polish DLC comes with the game for free, and whenever you buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
They all have shiny foreheads.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I wonder if AI will assign exp points historically. Like will Germany put points into better armor on tanks while Russia might put the points in reliability.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm sorry for getting everyone's hopes up again; it was the first picture to come up in Google.

Here, I found another one that shows slightly more detail:

See this is what I was wondering, will AI focus on well, historical, focuses for their units?

Will the Japanese put more points into engine while ignoring weapons for example?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hoi 4 is a very moddable game. You can easily add assault guns.

Or just put armor points on self propelled artillery

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Enjoy posted:

Good news, a mod has been announced that will accurately portray developments in boot technology between the different belligerent powers

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/early-mod-first-ideas.925091/

I like the idea of having to invent winter coats and pockets. Two technologies that didn't exist before 1936.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
See it's a feature...

I think my go to tactic will be building a billion infantry and one light armor.

The infantry will make a huge front and the light armor will go through the spots the AI forgot to defend.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Xerophyte posted:

EU4 is possibly the only game I've played where I actually liked going for achievements. Is the list on the HoI4 wiki all of them in this one? Seems a bit meagre, but at least
  • Sunset Invasion has survived and made to yet another game. I guess living well really is the best revenge.
  • There are still Swedish/Danish in-joke achievements. This time referencing the Kalmar union and a WW2 Swedish propaganda poster on one end, and a rant from Lars von Trier's "Riget" on the other, in case anyone was wondering.
  • There's an achievement for nuking California as Mussolini. It is called "Duce Nuked'em". This amuses me far more than a bad pun about an imaginary fascist war crime should.

The added a lot more EU4 achievements since release so I'm sure we'll get more.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I don't like how the game doesn't seem to give you after battle reports. You could lose a fleet and not realise it.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Just played a republican Spain game in ironman for the achievement, the game is good but I gotta say that the AI seems very easy to encircle on regular, but that might just be a product of the why the front line works in Spain. Also it's very silly that volunteer divisions can have commanders from their native country, also that Japan sends divisions to Spain.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Popete posted:

Whats a recommended nation to play for beginners, big or small? I've played some HOI3 but that was years ago.

Spain was fun and not too hard

it's basically tutorial peninsula

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

wukkar posted:

Is there a way to cancel certain exports? All my American steel got dibs'ed by central/south america before all the 'you can actually build stuff now' triggers went off. Besides a Trade Law change.

You need to change your economy type to limit exports or war economy

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Poland surviving a little too long for anyone else?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I don't mind a little "what if" even with historical focus on. France doing well is cool. Poland surviving into '41 is just strange.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

StashAugustine posted:

Can you upgrade obsolete tanks/planes/ships?

Yes, but you keep the old planes.

They're useful for kamikazes

Speaking of I thought kamikazes were a Japanese only focus? Because I just sunk some british ships with them as Republican Spain.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

TehKeen posted:

There's also a "New Soviet Man" or some such that gives the USSR Kamikazes. :captainpop:

Then why do I have kamikazes as a default nation?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Uh this is problematic pdox...

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Iraq, Yeman and Oman all have generic Arab.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Mehmet Rodriguez

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Loopoo posted:

What's the benefit to using mechanized units, and how should I employ them in my army makeup? Should I mix them with on-foot infantry, or just have a division made up only of vehicles? I noticed their attack stuff is weak as poo poo compared to foot soldiers, so I've never really employed them in my army.

As I understand it, mech infantry is just harder motorized. I like to have it in a division by itself or with light tanks so I can utilize the speed advantage.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Gort posted:

Anyone know if AA guns are worth it?

I've never had trouble maintaining air superiority. Seriously, as the Soviets, I got air superiority over Berlin by early '41. If you are playing as a country that can field thousands of planes, so any of the great 8, AA is not worth ever researching.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
In my game there is a "Chinese People's Republic" and a "People's Republic of China"

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
E: dp

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Gort posted:

I could see espionage being done well through events. Just every so often get a pop-up saying, "We think one of our spies has a good shot at stealing the blueprints for X technology" or "Our agent is ready to strike at the docks in Y" and you get the option to go ahead or not. Maybe have a few techs to give you better odds of success.

There are already some events like this, like a decision to conduct a peacetime raid on Japanese Manchurian bases, would be cool to see more events like that and maybe some dynamic events that depend on unit positions or discovered techs.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Xerophyte posted:

It's pretty true to life.

I like the painted portraits, even though the increased cost of production means south americans all look alike.

8 new portraits in the new patch.

I also think they should add a mechanic to punish suicidal AI, like a certain number of losses causes a unity hit. The 1914 campaign for DH had a similar mechanic where you'd gain dissent for each million men lost or failure to take or hold land. This would also help in the end game where each major has a billion divisions and infinite manpower.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Every time I've done a coup it spawns with a good amount of units. Are you making sure your ideology has a good percent of the political situation in the country you want to coup?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Autonomous Monster posted:

I dropped about a dozen nukes on Japan and their NU doesn't seem to go lower than 40%. Makes me wonder if it's actually possible to get them to capitulate without Downfall, because I'm fairly certain they do not have 40% of their VPs outside the home islands.

It is, I ended the Chinese civil war with just nukes.

As for Japan, I've seen US players get them to surrender with 3 nukes.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Charles Get-Out posted:

I know the AI isn't the best, but Germany and Italy gave me a ton of problems trying to push fronts out past the Maginot and the Alps. Every time my Italy front was resting or redeploying, Germany would redeploy divisions and push back hard.

Also, is there any way to disband divisions? France's tank divisions are dumb as poo poo and I could really use those resources elsewhere.

Delete or change the template

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Charles Get-Out posted:

It won't let me because there are divisions still using it.

It wouldn't be an issue if there was one useless tank division, because I would just wait for Army Exp. But France has two useless tank divisions and I want to delete the more numerous, more useless one to funnel those tanks into the one that is easier to revamp.

Change the division to one that has no parity with it. So make the light tanks into heavy tanks or medium.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Nitrousoxide posted:

For those watching the hoi 4 multiplier stream from paradox. Is Arumba really this much of a prick?

Arumba is an idiot rear end in a top hat

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Eskaton posted:

You know you're on SA when people actually enjoy insufferable spergs.

What did it for me was his Victoria 2 blind play.

He seemed to be absolutely clueless about a few basic events in his own country's history.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This can happen if you don't produce enough parachutes.

Any examples?

Not knowing when the civil war started.

Trying to find Bolivia in Europe.

There are a lot more

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I think the post-war border gore is my main reason for not playing past the peace conference. That and achievements not firing on ironman.

I wish AI was a little more realistic about what parts of the defeated countries it took in the conference.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Top Hats Monthly posted:

What's the fastest you can get to 1950s Intercontinental Bombers? I want the US to have a monopoly on the air.

Just build a few thousand B17s or liberators and get the flying fortress focus.

You'll be able to gain air supiority with just those.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Arrhythmia posted:

exactly what i didn't want to hear :(

Right?

I trapped the American invasion of Sicily and destroyed about 60 divisions, I feel like that would cause the US to consider leaving the war.

I think the peace conference system would be optimal for a peace without capitulation possibility.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
So seriously how do you beat the US?

I tried coup-ing and then ferrying troops in, but the coup fell apart too fast, and that feels really gamey anyway.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is it possible to mod the game to get the faux-Cyrillic again in the country names? That was one of the best features of HOI 3

That was ugly as hell and stupid.

What's wrong with you.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Hammerstein posted:

Anyone ever seen the AI do this ? Usually it tries to play it safe and is aware of flank protection, never saw it try a narrow push over a 1000 km front so far. And it did the same from the Japanese side.

http://imgur.com/a/e9FFl

Yup, as I play more I'm finding myself rely less on the AI and just manually do it, the AI makes strange choices about where and when to attack.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Is there a basic rule of thumb for calculating how many production lines you need to keep a certain number of standard divisions supplied through sustained fighting? Playing as America, I keep thinking I've got enough industry going to join the war, only to find my troops running out of bullets after a month or two, usually when they're just in the process of capturing Berlin.

You're always going to be at a little bit of a deficit in infantry equipment if you are making units while fighting, but it shouldn't be disruptive enough be seriously noticeable, especially if you have some surplus older equipment. If it is that much of an issue you can set your berlin spearhead to "elite" which will give it supply priority over units garrisoning Idaho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Also, I have found small destroyer only fleets are very efficient at ASW. If you otherwise have naval superiority send out 3-4 destroyers and a few wings of 50 naval bombers.