Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TTerrible posted:

Using mushroom midochlorians to break the warp 10 barrier and be everywhere at once because the entire universe is a giant patch of slime mould. :shepface:
Is this Star Trek or Electric Dreams?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Time's Orphan is the second phase of the Four Lights brain torture.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I've only seen like the first two Discovery episodes due to travelling, but do the new Klingons even speak in the original Klingon?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

On today's episode, things suck balls on the planet of perpetual sandstorms and one of Khan's sons dies of insanity.

Actually that sounds about right for STD.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I mean, that part made perfect sense. Bottom is good watching.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

there is no need to have ten minute scenes of actors in seven pounds of latex appliances glotally hocking out a made up space language with subtitles. it's ineligant and imo pretentious.
The real reason is they still needed subtitles when they were speaking English.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

They're actually super inconsistent with that, it's probably one of the weakest things about TNG/DS9 klingons. Sometimes they're growling at worf as they crawl towards him after getting slapped, and they can't serve on the high council or the head of a great house, but then other times Worf is going on about how klingons consider women their equals and companions in battle, serving as senior officers, and getting awarded medals from :gowron: for valor.
Those aren't necessarily contradictions though. They can respect the ferocity and power of Klingon women without affording them equal rights or it affecting societal customs. As an example, black Americans fought in WWI and were awarded military honours at the same time as being widely excluded from many aspects of civilian society and at the peak of KKK recruiting and activity.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

boring space tits 3/10

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Space Camp fuckup posted:

people have been saying that it's THE REAL STAR TREK... but it's kind of hokey in a bad way.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

That episode is such a loving whiplash rollercoaster of tone from start to finish.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

Its the same as how you can't hand out fine silverware to prison inmates
On the one hand, you're defending Cardassian rule. On the other, you're dropping some dog-whistle hints about the 's' word.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

They're timeless, not immortal.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

And terrible facial prostheses on the Klingon that gets dunked on every episode.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

You know Gul Dukat is good when he's not even Gul Dukat and instead pretends to be some dude named Gul Macet and wears some fake sideburns
Or travelling back in time to hassle mentally unwell Ben about where he stole his suit from.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

wit posted:

I liked that episode but can't forgive it for being such an obnoxious mary sue of the writing team. Don't you see what heroes scifi writers are? In fact, you might even call them gods. Yes, call them gods from now on, nerds.
I always felt the emphasis was more on minorities having to pose as the majority in order to have their ideas and work given the value they were due. That's why 'Odo' is the quisling editor - in mimicry of his role during the Cardassian occupation.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

simplefish posted:

Only problem is it relies on you having watched enough Voyager to care about Neelix
So, none?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Kitchner posted:

Tarintino talked about this once and he basically said what he'd love to do is take some episodes and stretch them out into a film.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

simplefish posted:

Like the pon farr Vulcan was in an episode for a few minutes before. And in DS9 iirc for Dax's previous hosts being played through her "closest" friends, there's the main cast and "random Dabo girl who we saw a couple episodes ago?" And who then pretty much disappears again until she's with Rom and we care that her name was Leeta
I just assumed Dabo girl was because Dax is constantly loving Quark over in Dabo, but I forget if most of that takes place before Leeta is introduced.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

popewiles posted:

Wouldn't 5 in a pentagon, 3 in a triangle, or 4 in a square be the minimum amount of torpedos for the pattern?
all of those numbers are also, conveniently, the maximum in those patterns.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nog did not age well.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Colm Meaney has the second most appearances in star trek after Michael dorn but he's definitely the most prolific actor outside of star trek, discounting Patrick Stewart.
Have you ever looked at Quark's imdb?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i think it was just jj but i cant find the specific quote anymore, but 5 minutes of googling revealed this quote from jj:

so i wouldn't be shocked if 5 episodes was an exaggeration. how can you not even be bothered to know how many previous movies were in the franchise of the movie you are making. then the lazy motherfucker tries to pass that off as an "advantage"
To be fair to him, the alternative was simply filing the details off the first trek movie but making V'Ger a planet so it feels more epic.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I still think it'd make for a neat story to have someone arrive at a world where everyone is still facially expressive but nobody knows how to read facial expressions, and everyone treats it as a massive violation of privacy when the newcomer lets it be known that they're reading facial expressions.
Really pushing the frontiers by visiting planet autism.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

How will you feel three shows and eight seasons later when ensign X-Pac is still showing up with the theme music?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yeah, it was originally scripted as speed but they were told they couldn't do that in a children's show, so they compromised on caffeine pills.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

In real life they don't even need to be mind readers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

Uh, what? No. The important bit is a long, expensive and ultimately pointless action-y scene in the desert about drilling well-water for some race of thirsty bee people.

Remember that? That scene that really brought to life the Star Trek universe and not at all a heap of generic sci-fi mishmash with the occasional wimpy communicator sound foleyd in like nostalgic clip art atop a shady timeshare powerpoint?
Of course I remember the best part of the first episode.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

barbecue at the folks posted:

Is TOS really worth it? I love the movies, even III, but it just felt too dated and slow. Does it draw you in slowly or is it just, well, 1960s.
The movies are slow primarily because they are single episodes at 30% speed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Finally an episode true to Roddenberry's vision.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Kitchner posted:

Yes.

No one ever mentions this ever again in any of the star trek shows.

"Hey, remember that time half the Federation was conquered by kingons?"
It's especially weird because the Klingons as established are complete dicks who would be constantly throwing that in every Federation member's face at the slightest provocation.

Nutsngum posted:

Instead Burnham kidnaps super crazy emporer captain, pretending shes not a horrific mass murderer and leader of a brutal facist regime for some loving stupid reason.
Burnham isn't the leader of the Federation.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

simplefish posted:

Borg should not have had a queen. Should not have a king either.

What is the point of the collective if it still has hierarchy? Hive mind should mean hive mind, no leader, no single head to cut off. All decisions by all drones based on all information at all times. Something that literally cannot be emulated by the Federation or other species.
The very idea of the 'hive mind' comes from insects that have definitive queens and rigid hierarchies.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

LegoPirateNinja posted:

They were not a hive. They were a collective. Fully realized gay space communism. Then they were retconned into a "hive."

Arguably it's not a retcon, per se. It could be interpreted as an adaptation to the individuality introduced into the collective by Hue.
A collective with a hive mind, which is different to being a "hive", but that's why there then became a queen - because you give these concepts to the same hack writers who produce multiple storylines revolving around crew members being devolved. It's dumb, but that's why you need someone like Roddenberry in the background making sure everyone knows how big Ferengi dicks are supposed to be.

Even space communism is more individuality than the Borg should have had. The whole idea was they were a singularity controlling a conglomerate organism. Rather than reduce that to a petty queen that could be cut off they should have explored what it meant to be an organism that was literally the sum of its parts - have it absorb some space pacifists or xenophobic isolationists and examine how that affects its behaviour.
The Founders were a better exploration of a collective species.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Cocksure, analytical, passionate, Thatcher, Sam, grimdarkmcduff.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

Or evolved after. They seem to exist outside of time, or at least the way we think of time, after all.
Evolution requires linear time, something that the prophets do not even understand, and forgetting requires linear time so they could not have ever been linear.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You could probably pick up the license to Wing Commander for a dime.

of coke.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

The sudden shift in Andromeda would be like if Farscape suddenly started focusing on wizards and sorcery and poo poo after Maldis showed up. It was really bad, but then, so was Kull the Conqueror.
I was going to get indignant but then I realised I was thinking of Krull shifting from wizards and sorcery to satan and spaceships.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Tuvix would still be with us today if he'd smelt like coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Burning_Monk posted:

Hyperdrive is really underrated.
It was so good that unlike many of its peers it managed to produce double digits of episodes.