Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kitchner posted:

Episode 4 is basically a switch from the first episode being 70% trying too hard to be funny to 30% trying to hard to be funny and 30% top quality star trek.

For anyone who doesn't care about spoilers:

They find a massive ancient ship drifting through space but it's driftinging towards a star, so they board it to alert the and split up.

Once split up the captain and team find out that the residents of the ship have no idea they are on the ship and are basically a pre-FTL civilisation that believes in a religion of Durell.

The second team the woman in red gets shot (lol) and captains wife is captured. They find out it's lead by a tyrannical regieme and you see a man beaten to death in the street by an angry mob for challenging the religion.

She gets rescued by the rest of the team and they get to the ship's bridge where they find Durell isn't a God, but the last captain of the ship that knew it was a ship. They then open the dome over were everyone lives revealing the stars to the population who had lived in constant daylight.

That is prime grade trek right there.

The humour I find verges wildly between funny and unfunny.

The funny humour was like when they all got into the lift and stood in silence for a while until the captain tries to make small talk and it doesn't help.

That's funny because it would be like showing a "real" sex scene where the people involved are awkward or whatever. It's never really shown in normal science fiction because it's not exciting or interesting etc but in real life that's how it would go down.

The captain telling the security officer with super strength to open a door by refering to it as "a jar of pickles" for the second episode in a row is not funny. It wasn't funny the first time because he was trying too hard, repeating it is just worse. (That said the first time he tells her to open the door she just runs into it knocking out a section of the wall and he says "I loosened it for you". If that was the only joke in that scene I think that would have been funny).

I think some of the humour would work if the rest of the crew sort of called the captain out on having poo poo jokes. If he had said that and someone said "Really, it wasn't that funny the first time can we just call doors doors?" I probably would have laughed.

Honestly, the jokes I tend to skip over. They aren't all terrible but they aren't why I'm watching the show strangely enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

We may have stumbled onto the latest trend in fashion ladies and gentlemen.

Now all we need is for everyone to get tardigrade shaped and we are set.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just saw this episode after skipping the last one and I am trying to figure out why. The series started becoming better and then we got this complete nosedive.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

I love it. Discovery showed us that in their spare time the crew has a rave. Tonight Orville shows that they can party too: Karaoke Night!

Damnit I almost missed this one, going to have to make time.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

You can remove insignias from things with a flat screwdriver. I'm certain some young Andorian kid is walking around Andor right now with one on a chain around their neck.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Same here. Orville is just good solid fun in the sense that it isn't what everyone was expecting after years of low-effort comedy (that Seth isn't working on anymore anyway ) but instead just tries to do its own thing.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

popewiles posted:

At least in DS9, replicators and other high end Federation tech seem to be the carrot in order to get other civilizations to join them. Starfleet is basically looking down at Bajor from their ivory starships saying "you can be post-scarcity too, just as soon as you make your planet arable again and start producing enough food to feed your populace."
I really like the concept that living a nearly conflict-free existence due to technology making post-scarcity possible makes Federation citizens unempathetic to the realities of 'developing' species and I'm glad DS9 explored that even if just a little.

The problem is two-fold: For one, even having Starfleet just sitting in orbit was seen as an insult by pretty much the entirety of the Bajoran military (which was mostly formed from cobbled-together militias by necessity from how the occupation went down, so there's no proper unity of command). Maybe a necessary one for the cooler heads amongst them, but still a real problem they wanted to solve by... I don't know. Rolling over for another occupation in all but name once the Dominion came along?

The second issue is that Bajorans now base their entire identity around two things: Occupation and Religious/National Identity. They can't get out of that mindset to the point they actively refuse aid for fear of it leading to another occupation or their identities being removed, something one can see parallels to in the real world. Which leads to them being unable to rejuvenate themselves and unable to advance into their own stable identity or place in the galaxy, preferring to stay a single planet devastated by war with only some smaller satellites rather than growing up and not letting a group of space ghosts that can't figure out what the hell they're doing anyway dictate their lives. They actively refuse aid from other cultures no matter how benevolent to the point there are still starving families and outright fighting over resources when the solution is sitting literally over their heads.

It also leads to them being considered stubborn morons by anyone but the Federation who are too polite to tell them to stop being that way. Even Sisko doesn't push the point too much and he isn't known to be courteous. Kira eventually figuring all this out is probably one of the better arcs of DS9 if only because the rest of the Bajorans being so drat frustrating every time they appear on screen. Cardassians at least have the faux affably evil status and a few of their soldiers obviously just being too afraid of the people higher up the food chain to act independently, making them if not sympathetic then not outright hated. They have regrets, some of them even realizing they were monsters but don't know how to handle that or bring redemption, whereas Bajorans can barely stop actively sabotaging themselves into starvation and inner strife. The only people with more inner strife are Klingons and that's because they designed their way of life that way by design. It leads them to being stubborn morons too with massive corruption issues, but they very obviously don't starve or lack in what they need.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

Bajorans suck so much that their gods decided to make their messiah figure an alien.

To be fair their gods could probably not even tell the difference between a human and Bajorans unless they had someone point it out to them. While powerful you couldn't ever call the wormhole aliens smart. They probably picked the Bajorans as their followers because they wanted a group dumber than they were and the Pakled were busy.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Well, we dedicated half of an episode to LINEAR TIME, how long do you think the concept of nose ridges will take?

They would probably need the concept of evolution explained to them first (possibly again, since I don't recall the exact words used when they had to be told one living humanoid was different from another). Even though being timeless they are some of the few beings who would be able to see it occuring in anything but fruit flies.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

EvilTaytoMan posted:

There was an episode of DS9 where Kira had to remove some farmer from a perfectly habitable moon so that the Bajorans could drill the core and make it uninhabitable all so that they could heat up a couple of thousand homes for one winter. This was despite the fact that there was still a famine going on and the moon had arable land and that they also had a non destructive method of tapping the core for power that would have taken a bit longer. :thunk:

I had to look that one up because I had absolutely no memory of that and it is just as dumb as you described. Also what was the point of the B plot to that episode other than Jake and Nog being bumbling fools who luck into money ? Was it to show that stupidity wasn't confined to the farmer or Kira or the miners because a Bajoran sells off his land for what amounts to a large amount of sauce's worth of materials?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The General posted:

That b-plot owns, and I will fight anybody who doesn't get a good chuckle out the self sealing stembolts.

They were a good running gag, sure. But there were already a lot of similar ones, like the ones regarding the Breen and their very undefined homeworld or Garak being really bad at hiding his past affiliations. And every time the bolts are mentioned you realize their name really doesn't roll off the tongue that well.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kitchner posted:

Country point.

Poland were never terrorists.

Poland had a crazy good military and was a major power when it was the commonwealth, whereas the Bajorans are push over religious fanatics.

That is a good point. Even when doing their utmost resistance work, the Cardassians barely cared, to the point that they only left Bajor after already stealing all the resources they wanted. The resistance made them leave, sure, but only after the Cardassians got pretty much what they wanted out of the place anyway. Kira is the only somewhat capable resistance member when the Dominion rolls around and mainly because she is in the perfect position (by being forced to be there against her wishes) to disrupt things on her end. Most of her resistance fighters she ends up recruiting are mentally challenged (aside from Quark who mostly does his own thing) or very, very naive and the one guy of any worth they do recruit is a Cardassian who others helped push towards them and whom they get killed anyway when he could have been drat useful for the rebuilding effort.

Like before this thread I didn't really think too much about it but every time I look back at DS9 now I am reminded of a time Bajorans screwed up. Was that a conscious choice by the show runners?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 23, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

That part of the episode is kind of weird though. Like even without any charges filed are the Ferengi really going to essentially start a war with the Federation by blatantly murdering people under their protection, including Bajorans working for Quark? I know they aren't Federation citizens but asking for political asylum once members of the union start ending up dead is probably the next logical step.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Watched DS9 Blood Oath last night, Klingons are fun and it was great they used actors from TOS to reprise their roles like 80 years later. Dax killed a bunch of random guards though which was kinda hosed up. Also apparently it's super easy to just make it so all phasers don't work in an area by shooting an energy beam over the area, sure glad they never use that again.

As much of a franchise killer as it would be I really want them to not keep making phasers a weapon that still exists in any future Trek. Even if they just change the name and beam colours (again). Those things have been around for so long and have been more and more useless, why not go for something new?

Heck they made Quantum torpedoes a thing just by colouring them blue and saying "no no these are totally stronger dude" and we believed it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Gave er the ol' mushroom torpedo.

poo poo. The answer was glaring us in the face all along.

The mushroom drive is a penis metaphor.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Doggles posted:

From the Star Trek Online wiki:
  • Photon: Highest DPS, 6.5 second reload
  • Quantum: High damage per shot, 8.5 second reload
  • Plasma: Plasma DoT, 8.5 second reload
  • Transphasic: High shield penetration, 10 second reload
  • Chroniton: Chance to debuff flight speed and turn rate, 10 second reload
  • Tricobalt: High AoE damage with disable, destructible projectile, 30 second reload
:goonsay:

Those are all torpedoes, also all on Star Trek Online where only plasma counts or something. (In all seriousness I lpve that there is variety of weapon types at least in that game and that proper phasers are hardly ever used)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

Make Cardassia Great Again!

Those stupid BAJORANS we were trying to help them they couldn't have a proper trial before we showed up and brought in good Cardassian JUSTICE and DISCIPLINE and how did they repay us by BLOWING UP MINES where they worked in exchange for food and beds

I am not sure if I could ever compare Cardassians to Trump because at least Cardassians were sometimes competent.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

It's like if a Pakled got executive power. So dumb and helpless you laugh but that belies its belligerence and cruelty.

Don't know how their stuff works, inherited all their possessions or stole them as well as being very obviously overweight. Got him/them in one.

Oh the only times we really see them otherwise they are eating in bad restaurants or bars.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So, from the responses so far the show is still not good and I should keep holding off?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Peachfart posted:

Sisko did nothing wrong.
... Except maybe he should have taken out the remaining Maquis planets. It would have saved all of those people's lives, since they would be in Federation prison and not killed by the Jem'Hadar.

Well, had he blown up the wormhole when it first appeared the war would never have happened and billions of lives would have been saved. He would probably have the resources to handle the Maquis too if that hadn't been a concern.

But I mean, had he simultaneously bombed Bajor and let Dukat walk out an open airlock that would have solved the other half of the problems on the show. Hindsight and all that.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So not having seen the episode I presume by this chat that the most heavily telegraphed twist in television did in fact happen?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Trast posted:

That all sounds terrible.

It was about on par with Nemesis.

So, it had sort of an actual story, a beginning and end and some stuff happened. Better than most Discovery episodes that aren't handled by Frakes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

It's exactly like every other lovely "prestige drama" and is super bland and also literally grey

Yeah. The show being aggressively bland is pretty much my main issue with it, besides disliking all characters beside Saru.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Which Federation ideal is being upheld by either bombing an entire planet with billions of inhabitants, or putting a rapist fanatic that is awful at planning in charge via blackmail that can probably be disarmed?

Also, I thought Klingons didn't allow female leaders of houses at this point, let alone emperors?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I mean, they might not have learnt any lessons from Enterprises fuckups at all, so trying to once more shoehorn the Borg into the story ahead of time is very likely. I don't want it to be, but it still is.

Honestly the only interesting Borg story at this point is if the non-queen ones (New Cooperative) start assimilating willing people in the Alpha Quadrant en masse. We would get a moral quandery about free will, the future of mankind within a giant AI construct and possible 'splosions as people try and retrieve those assimilated by violent means.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty much.

Still doesn't answer why you test your super-weapon on the intended target so they know you're coming. You know, rather than literally any other world for over several thousand lightyears that are uninhabited and even Earth-like.

Heck, it isn't like an atmosphere is an impediment to a superweapon like that anyway. Just blow up an appropriately large moon and you are still golden.

Better yet, just figure out how to get one of those weapons that can make supernovas and blow up the Sun. I don't know if they addressed why they didn't just go back in time to when they didn't have space travel on Earth yet. Might've been something to do with power requirements or temporal policing or something but I don't know.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kitchner posted:

Yes there is.

If I was someone's boss and I said "Simon, why the gently caress are you late for your shift?"

And he said "Sorry lieutenant, I had holodeck time booked out weeks in advance (because you know the senior dudes hog the time?) and I was in a 28 way fuckfest orgy with the most beautiful women you've ever seen and I lost track of time".

I'd just be like "Cool. Uhh I don't suppose you have a copy of that program do you?"

A more accurate statement would be "Sorry Lieutenant, I had holodeck time booked but it gained sentience when I was in the middle of my session and we had to have a long talk about the idea of consent when your partner is a set of photonic images projected into space, the nature of man's inhumanity to machine and after all that the exit door was jammed up by stray anti-tachyons. "

To which I would answer "What, again?"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gatekeeper posted:

cuz those gosh darned fucksucking Vorlons can't just leave ol' leather apron in 1885 or w/e, they've always gotta drag mr. slicey dicey not-so-nicey to whatever interrogation they deem important at the time, because that definitely makes sense. just finished giving a job interview for assistant manager at Spacy's Department Store (lol space macys = spacy's :xd:) in November of 5324 AD, headed to an audition for the role of Seymour in an amateur production of Little Shop of Horrors put on by a legion of Sardaukar and some Harkonnen troops on Arrakis in 10,146AD, and Jack the Ripper managed to give the Vorlon the slip again. And now every time he gets a coat he hasn't worn since last winter out of the closet, poor Scotty finds a slice of his crush's uterus in the pocket along with the occasional surprise fiver that no cashier will accept because it's completely stained with blood

Yep.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kitchner posted:

One of the best star trek games ever is Stellaris with with Star Trek conversion mod.

I dare anyone to play that and not immediately play as the Cardassians and enslave Bajor.

Does that give special events or something?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It made sense to me that Ro's earring would be technically against dress code because it's a dangly bit of chain that could get caught on something and cause an injury. But yeah, actually enforcing that was just Riker being a prick.

That was my first thought too. And it is a legitimate issue when dealing with contamination, in real life anyway. Much like how people are expected not to wear rings or have particular types of piercings.

But maybe I am just being anti-Bajoran. It is hard to get over ingrained prejudices when 98 percent of Bajorans you come into contact with have made your day worse. And the remainder is someone who spent years away from Bajor trying to keep them from being stupid, while another mostly ignored their customs and served Dabo tables or dated cool super genius Ferengi.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Add about 150 pounds, recede the hairline and make the smile faker and you have a pretty good Trump impression.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

New Concept Hole posted:

There's can be Jem'Hadar in Starfleet, but only if they're addicted to small talk.

That actually brings up another question: Since genetic engineering other than possibly to cure deadly diseases is banned in the Federation, would they remove the Jem'hadar addiction since they're a genetically engineered species anyway and this is just correcting an earlier crime?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the biggest problem with disco is that the main crew loving sucks and no one wants to see any further adventures they might go on. the supposed improvements in s2 were all preexisting characters who didn't stick around.

No the biggest problem is the awful writing and tone. The crew/actors themselves are mostly fine, they just don't have anything to work with.

Edit: I mean, the crew do suck because that's how they were written. But I am not sure they could switch to a new crew and resolve things that way because I have no confidence in the direction that would go.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 30, 2020

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Not being able to find your forehead sounds like a great hook for an actual star trek plot.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I mean... Dukat is a narcissist. Completely unable to understand other people's emotions, massively incompetent at anything beyond talking up his achievements and danger (unless you need someone to be a passionate brute for a bit).

He should not get a redemption arc because you need to be able to feel remorse for those.

(Though I do agree, evil space spirits are a bad way to end a show on).

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Danaru posted:

Now using something we call the Tube Skip, you can actually clip Geordi out of bounds and cause the holodeck to revert him back to coordinates 0,0,0 which is actually outside of the Enterprise, killing him instantly. The timing is really precise though and involves seamwalking through the door to the turbo lift so it's hard to do without a TAS

Usually, when fighting a Borg cube boss, you need to gather up a party of at least 40 player ships, all with anti-borg weaponry and traits like "sense weakness". But here's an exploit I found: You can just confuse the boss AI with a single ship if you get your model to clip into two planes, while you fire off flares randomly.

That gives you just enough time to send in a pet shuttle, who pickpockets the boss (because it can no longer target you as an enemy and aggro). Because of a glitch in how loot is distributed, a pickpocket attempt always results in the loot table filling up with purple Picards or equivalent crewmembers. The moment you loot them and before they are healed of any damage, use their Sleep ability on the cube. That triggers an integer overflow in the cube's HP matrix and resets their health to zero or less, killing them instantly.

I know a lot of people claim this strat is bogus, but Sisko has seen me pull it off several times and he can assure you, it is real.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Michael Burnham.

Checkmate.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I have been rewatching Enterprise and I am surprised at how... Ok it is. I remember being bored stiff with the show, but didn't hate it (sans the crappy 9/11-inspired episodes, which were just awful in general). That still holds true, but having been asked to watch the outright terrible Discovery and somewhat bad Picard, in comparison this is almost good tv.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh, and the best part about the maquis is that they could have always lived on any of the many sparsely populated colony planets in the federation. there was always like the equivalent of a small village with the rest of the planet completely empty. there's room for more than one tiny hipster enclave on any given planet.

"You don't know how hard it is out here away from Earth, where there's a real struggle to survive."

*proceeds to not move to places like Earth when asked*

Maquis and Bajorans were written like complete morons through most of Deep Space 9 and beyond. They see first-hand the terrors that the Cardassians inflict on populations, and a large portion of them try to keep fighting the Cardassians the moment their peace treaties are signed. Sure, fighting evil is very important, but you already fought them and barely managed a win, and now you don't have the backing of other sympathetic parties anymore, like Starfleet for the Maqui or most of the resistance movement in the Bajorans case. In fact, fighting the Cardassians then means other parties are now more sympathetic to them and you come off as violent idiots who won't stop attacking a party that agreed to a ceasefire. A party that outnumbers you by several orders of magnitude, is better armed and has a solid command structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

barbecue at the folks posted:

I thought that this was the thing that made them so true to life. Lord knows that there exist enough armed movements who only seem to draw more strength from being shown that they are just violent idiots holding on to a lost cause.

Oh for sure. But it didn't make them the least bit likable. Or relatable.

Sure, a bunch of episodes are actually devoted to showing people coming around to the fact that the Bajoran stance on things is really, really dumb, but overall the people of Bajor are just as insular and idiotic as they were at the start of the show. Even moreso, given they more or less get occupied again by the Dominion for the final seasons.

The issue with Bajorans at the end of the day is that if you want to portray an occupied people you often want to do so while showing them to be sympathetic, and that is very much not the case with Bajorans. I'm struggling to think of a less likable party in a similar situation in Sci-fi. Heck, even the Cardassians got some sympathy after their civilian government got taken out and they got played trying to take out the Dominion, even while a lot of them outright stated they joined up just to take over the Alpha Quadrant.