Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mukaikubo posted:

I left an overwatch match that ended in four people on voice literally screaming at each other for loving up, just a four-way free for all at max volume on voice comms, and read this post and it made me laugh. Thank you for alleviating my feelsbad about not doing as well as I could have and losing.

Oh! I had a pubbie two days ago on Comp - literally from beginning to MVP cards - in King's Row continuously scream and sing into his mic and use a colorful array of slurs while saying he was throwing the match at the top of his voice.

With a slight lisp and much heavier New Jersey/Bronx accent. :shepicide:

It was funny for a bit of how random and ridiculous this guy (either trolling or on hard drugs, couldn't tell which, maybe both?) was out of nowhere, but then I tired of it and put him on mute and filed a report for Blizzard at the beginning of the second round.

C'est la vie...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Bolow posted:

Slam pick Sombra anyway and tell them to gently caress off, because she's still damned good right now. Your team is rarely if ever going to notice that you're doing good. If you're actually good though? The enemy team will loving loathe you. Buffing her damage would pretty much make her a mandatory pick.

Being loathed by your own team as well as the Red team is just part of Sombra's canon role. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Constantine XI posted:

The dawn of the nano boosted in your face Junkrat meta is almost upon us!

I can't wait! I've got my golden Junk gun and everything! :brrring:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There's a woman in my playgroup and that kind of thing happens quite a lot. I think it partly explains why some players never use voicechat.

What is it about modern games like Overwatch and CSGO that makes people so mental? Up until like 2008, I don't remember seeing this kind of toxicity being the norm (eg UT2k4 or Starcraft 1 or Diablo 2).

Did DOTA/LOL ruin everything?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ToastyPotato posted:

WarCraft 3 was loving terrible. My friend and I did a lot of custom game modes together and were always somewhat amused at how absolutely horrible people were, and this was back around 2004-2007.

Yeah, I consciously omitted Warcraft 3 for that reason. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Donnerberg posted:

Right. That's where the moba community started, so... obviously.

I've never played MOBAs before besides the original Warcraft DOTA mod. Is there a reason why their communities specifically are so notoriously toxic?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Wow, that sounds miserable! Thanks for the heads up.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Bolow posted:

People were salty as poo poo even back in 2001-2004 range as well. Like did none of you play Counter-Strike ever? People got real loving upset over Natural Selection as well, to the point where they'd seclude themselves in lovely little enclaves (see:voogru servers)

On the other hand, the 2fort2furious servers in TF2 were some of the most hilarious chill fun I've ever had online in a video game. :rip:

E: on the other other hand, people who raged on CS surf servers were really dumb and actively looking for an excuse to be pissants.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Yeah its actually amazing and hilarious how often just being nice will start a chain reaction of other people on the team remembering that they also liked to be nice once.

That's why I make it a point to pay attention and compliment the other team members whenever possible to keep morale high. It's a game winning strategy! :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Same. :brrring::hf::haw:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tenebrais posted:

Remember it shows the highest icon you earned, not your current one. Those diamonds may well have dropped far.

Doesn't that mean they probably intentionally hanjo'd down just to piss everybody off?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

berenzen posted:

Not necessarily. They could have had an exceptional set of games where they were playing far above their true SR, but after several games they dropped because they weren't able to keep up that level of play and they dropped. Or they just had an exceptionally bad series of games like Bottom Liner and dropped a massive amount of SR.

But people who are capable of reaching that level should theoretically play better than a genuine silver/etc who can never reach that top rank in the first place?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Backcapping is a proud TF2 tradition, and Scout and Spy each shed a single tear of pride when they saw their legacy continued.

Same. Nobody ever expects the Junkrat to double mine onto Volskaya A and they're too busy with the gate to know what to do in their confusion. :brrring:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

IronicDongz posted:

*brushes dust off an evil skinbound tome* quad tank

I like this. :twisted:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Thank you, Blizzard, for releasing Orisa. As a Junk main, corraling red team into her little shield pen makes for delicious multi kills, served flaming hot! :brrring:

(PS why no comp Orisa? :confused:)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just read that on Oct 2 that OW1 will be shut down entirely?

This has to be an out-of-season April Fool's joke, right? What if you actually prefer 6v6 to 5v5? Do the skins and other cosmetics transfer over?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm really confused. Maybe it's because I haven't really been following OW2 news because I just assumed it would be something you could opt-in as a separate product, not something that would be replacing OW1 entirely.

When was this decision announced? What need prompted it? Was it to avoid OW1 cannibalizing in-game purchases from OW2 or vice-versa? Why not just keep both options available for players to choose? :psyduck:

E: I'm just worried that it will turn out to be akin to the Warcraft 3 remaster where it shat all over the original game and forced people to opt-in whether they liked the changes or not. I do not trust modern Blizzard to make wise decisions with the direction of their franchises anymore.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 17, 2022

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

comedyblissoption posted:

afaik this is the first time a 'sequel' to a game shut down and prevented you from playing the prior game on release lol

I was gonna say, as a comparison I didn't like how Left 4 Dead 2 felt like a rip-off at the time as a full-price purchase instead of being priced as an expansion pack for people who already bought into the original Left 4 Dead, but at least I could keep playing on the L4D1 servers if I wanted to and enjoy both experiences. Apparently you can't even make that kind of choice now as a consumer? :psyduck:

Macaluso posted:

This is basically going from vanilla WoW to Cataclysm WoW

Yeah, yeah. Nice. Cool.

So I'm guessing there will also be a separately-purchasable OW Classic in the future as well?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 17, 2022

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Generic American posted:

I think originally, there was some vague talk about "crossplay" between a hypothetical Overwatch 2 and Overwatch 1, but that all disappeared when they went silent for so long...

Riiiiight, yeah. See, this is where I'm feeling severe whiplash because this was my last point of reference.

Maybe I've just become a normie or something, but I don't follow gaming news obsessively. I don't play or follow Valorant, Apex Legends, etc. I just pick one game as my main hobby to play for a bit after work then get on with the rest of my life.

I followed the news when they first announced a sequel then just shrugged my shoulders and went back to playing OW1 after things went radio-silent for so long. I'd occasionally dip into this thread to lurk once in a while, but AFAIK even this thread was pretty dead until fairly recently too.

It wasn't until I started getting a bunch of in-game announcements in OW1 for unlocking any skin I want etc literally since a few days ago that I'm suddenly realizing that OW2 actually means the death-knell of OW1.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 17, 2022

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Anyways, is it still fun to play as Junkrat/Roadhog/Mercy in OW2, at least? Those are my main picks for each of the class roles in OW1.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

teagone posted:

They keep loving with Mercy's superjump mechanic and I'm not sure which implementation is going to be in the game on Oct 4th, but otherwise, she's about as fun as she was in OW1 imo.

I never bothered to learn that strat, so said fuckery doesn't really affect me. :geno:

Mercy always felt like the hero closest to the Medic from TF2, so I've always felt an affinity towards Mercy's focus on dodging while spreading healing and buffing my teammates. I like the feeling of 'spinning plates' keeping everybody healed up while avoiding being killed myself.

Same deal with Junkrat and Demoman, plus I've always liked playing him as the underdog as far as the meta goes. He also has objectively the best personality out of all the heroes, so I'm biased. :allears:

Roadhog is good for when I'm playing with pubbies and don't trust them for heals/damage. I'm also a fan of his personality. Otherwise, Rein/Zarya for when I feel like I can trust in their competence and capacity for teamwork.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Will OW2 be a lot more hardware-intensive than OW1? If my laptop can run OW1 fine, will it have any trouble running OW2?

E: I also just realized having one uber-tank means the end of tank synergy strategies. :rip:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 18, 2022

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jack Trades posted:

I hate the battle pass bullshit.

Knowing me, I'll be opening up my wallet once again. :shepspends:

E: I only care about skins for characters I actually play. Will it still be possible to unlock them directly through the new shop/tokens? Or is it all random based on the Battle Pass?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 18, 2022

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jack Trades posted:

I quit the game once until they introduced role queues, I'll quit it again if they remove it.

I'm not subjecting myself again to teams where 5 (i guess 4 in OW2) players are DPSes running around like headless chickens bitching about not being pocketed. I sooner jab forks in my eyes.

:same:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Something I noticed is that you will no longer be able to endorse players on the enemy team. That's a shame because I actually enjoyed giving props to opponents who played especially well out of good sportsmanship. :shobon:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also, who is the Watchpoint Pack meant for? Brand-new players?

I figure buying the first battlepass is inevitable for me in the near future, so is the Watchpoint Pack worth it as a long-time veteran of the game who also plans on buying the premium battlepass later anyway?

Come to think of it, I don't think I've actually interacted with a battlepass system in a game in a meaningful way before. Maybe Dead by Daylight briefly? So this will be a novel experience for me.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Wejensen? What? Did Junkrat get a name change like McCree did? Since when? :psyduck:

E: Also kind of funny that they're basically reimplementing the stats system they had way back during the OW1 beta. I think this is better since gold medals were a pretty opaque way to judge your and others' performance and only served to induce rage and vitriol anyways.

E2: I'd wager they'll make a new dirty Junkrat Mythic skin at some point for some sweet gamer cash at some point too lol

E3: I also agree with the 7 wins/20 losses for SR change as a positive. I would have enjoyed comp mode a lot more if it didn't feel like each match was a stressful life-or-death affair with people constantly raging at each other because of stakes being match-to-match.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The new monetization scheme feels soulless, but I am cautiously optimistic about fewer shields/stuns and being less tethered to the performance of your teammates when it comes to playing with pubbies.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 1, 2022