Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Brosnan posted:

It's not bad but no one reads it because it's mostly marketing materials (which is good when it's a hypebuilding prerelease thread, but less so when people start playing it). Then they ask the same dumb questions over and over bc they didn't wade through screenshots of maps to find out what the difference between blue and yellow HP is.

They're not going to read the OP anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lovely potgs are better than good ones.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Brian Fellows posted:

What's the recommended way to get better at this game? I'd like to play with pubbies until I get good enough to not embarrass myself with people I know.

I bought the game pretty blindly, and the wide range of what each character can do is overwhelming. Playing vs. AI isn't even remotely helpful because of how dumb they are vs. actual people, but I feel like I'm screwing my team up by sitting there and holding down F1 to remind myself what the hell each button is going to do every time I play a match.
Should I just focus on getting good at one hero of each of the four character types and then start playing around with other characters once I'm decent? So far the only on-the-go changes I've caught onto are 1) When someone's murdering everyone with Bastion, just switch to the sniper if no one else is and kill him with her and 2) if someone's running around as McRee, pretty much always know where that guy is because he'll murder your balls off if you come anywhere near him.

Just play more. You will learn all the hero skills soon enough.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

I just find it funny how angry people are that there's a leaver penalty.

There is?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mercy gets her ult up really fast. When I started playing Mercy I was really conservative with it and now half my resses are a like one guy.

There's really no point in saving it when you are going to have it up on the next push anyway.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Disgusting Coward posted:

Just out of interest, what's everyone's average accuracy sitting at? I have a weird conviction that I can't hit poo poo as Soldier 76, but I'm sitting at 55% average accuracy which is pretty good, no?

Very low because with infinite ammo there is no reason not to spam constantly.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zorodius posted:

Zenyatta is perfect for when you need your heals to be weak, infrequent, and unreliable

You pick Zenyatta in addition to lucio/mercy, not instead of.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I like being a dick to people who are already salty for some reason because it's funny but that's not a good reason to allow racism/throwing slurs in the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Icedude posted:

soloing a deployed Bastion that was locking down a chokepoint just by standing in front of him with the APM on until he reloads and then just unloading into him in both forms.

I guess it's going to work if the Bastion is braindead.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kurzon posted:

Would it be horribly unbalanced to let Mercy use her flight power at will lik D. Va?

Very much so.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If you can consistently gank a widowmaker as a reaper then that widowmaker probably wasn't worth ganking in the first place

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Overwatch has a lot of heroes you can play well even if you are usually garbage at FPS games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't have any sort of grudge against you. You should drop the persecution complex.

That's not going to happen.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

Wow thanks for the sick burn, person who has never talked to me before.

I have unfortunately read far too many slap fights that you for some reason constantly end up in too many threads though.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 9, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

JollyPubJerk posted:

I got a full refund on Diablo 3 after 70 hours played during its first week

Not sure if it helped that I had already beaten the game solo on the hardest mode with their hilariously unbalanced game.

:psyduck:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mortimer posted:

"I'm going to play hanzo"
"hanzo isnt good, we need a widowmaker tank healer reaper mccree tracer genji 76 try one of those"
"okay"

oh look we won

Yeah that's totally going to happen.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't get why people like mystery heroes so much

You get to practice a lot of heroes and not feel like you are intentionally making your team lose because you are the worst tracer in the world.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

except you don't because if you're poo poo at tracer you instantly die and get swapped to like symmetra or something. how is that helping you at all

And then I get to play Symmetra instead.

The system works.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

but you can do that in a regular game and actually get real practice by playing it for a while instead of randomly, occasionally, if the game lets you? who cares if pubbies complain about you. it's not good practice to play as something for one life like once or twice an hour

Chances are the other people are terrible at their respective heroes so you tend to accomplish more even on heroes you are garbage with. When I'm playing a normal game and just dying and dying as Tracer it's not fun at all. With random heroes it just changes to a new hero if I'm terrible and die so there's no getting frustrated.

I have definitely become a lot better with heroes I wouldn't normally play while playing the random brawl. It also made me realize that I really like playing as Zarya once I got the hang of it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Baby Babbeh posted:

I like the random brawl because it results in matchups you normally don't see and it's hilarious to watch someone who only plays Mcree try to figure out Symetra. I get to play things I normally wouldn't against people who won't immediately faceroll me because they're playing characters they're less comfortable with too. Although the way ults work, the team that lucks into something won't die a lot as usually has a huge advantage.

It's often frustrating but it makes for an interesting change of pace from normal matches.

They should probably make the ult charge (or at least a part of it) carry over to the next hero.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Hmm i remember a while back i wanted more rocket dmg from Pharah on direct hits. After successfully ambushing snipers and direct hitting them twice, and them not dying. I stand by that. Its ridiculous to shoot them point blank and have them still get away. She should be easy to snipe and have a more punishing presence with her rockets.

Also my theory remains reinforced every day!

Pharah rocket direct hit does 120 damage though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Golem II posted:

Why does the game keep causing my video card to overheat?

Because your PC has lovely cooling?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Digirat posted:

Is playing with goons as unfun as a quick scan of several pages of this thread implies it is, because I was going to try this game tomorrow and am maybe reconsidering

This is the bad thread.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Golem II posted:

Nope. It only happens with Overwatch.

If your GPU overheats, it means you PC has lovely cooling.

If it had good cooling it wouldn't overheat even if you ran it at 100% for hours.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

piratepilates posted:

The payloads heal the attacking team

what the gently caress

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I have no idea how I haven't noticed that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Spiros posted:

Put shields on yourself and your teammates whenever they're taking damage, suddenly you/they aren't and your attacks do a lot of damage

Left click requires no aim, right click shoots grenades so it requires only very loose aim

She is very tanky once you get the hang of her and can basically beat anyone 1v1

The left click requires you to be pretty good at tracking targets to do well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FatSamurai posted:

No idea why he was so determined to get me, we had already lost the first round and were at a 50% deficit on the second so it's not like we really had a chance of winning.

Aside from the fact that the Winston was doing his job, that's not an unrecoverable situation at all. You can easily go from 0 to a win with a single capture.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

To be honest, while I enjoy the aspects of Mercy and Lucio that are not their more or less passive healing and buffing, it would probably be for the best if they were removed. I don't think their form of supporting adds anything positive to the game.

Hell, Mercy would probably be more fun if they completely removed her healing and buffing stick even without giving her anything else.

No.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KOTH map with places to doot people off are the only times I play Lucio anymore. It's just too boring otherwise.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

It's almost as if the same three or four people needling you every time you say something gets frustrating or something.

Lady Naga posted:

So close to self-awareness, alas...

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Papercut posted:

My first time playing Dva was in the random brawl last night, and she is super fun. The fact that you get two lives and you second life is super lethal was great. Just treat the mech as disposable to do some initial softening damage then go crazy with that pistol.

If you want to use Dva's pistol just play Mercy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fans posted:

It's a problem when D.va would be vastly improved by just taping her tiny light gun to the mech and turning off the massive shotguns.

Because the Mechs Shotguns are bad. Very bad. Offensively bad.

That would in fact make D.va really good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cephas posted:

People seem to really underestimate D.Va's pistol. If they don't burn down your zero suit really quickly, you can get a lot of high-damage headshots off with it because it's so accurate. It's annoying that my favorite gun in the game comes from D.Va's secondary weakling form. I'd totally love it if they went the jet boots/personal barrier route with her. I feel like it could be overpowered to have a perfectly accurate zero-damage-falloff plasma gun in her mech form.

Like I said before: if you like D.va's pistol play Mercy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

Except people get real bitchy if they see a pistolero Mercy, and no one cares about anything DVa does

gently caress those guys, I'll shoot my amazing Mercy pistol if I want to

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Alkydere posted:

As others have said, Bastion becomes incredibly easy for more competent/coordinated players to counter. So do expect him to get a bit weaker as you move on. However...that doesn't mean he's always worthless, just gotta pay attention to enemy team composition and chose someone else if a semi-competent Widow or Genji appears.

I have to say that you should not be afraid of pushing forward with Bastion, either flanking or just trying to finish off/harass someone who's retreating. His rifle isn't nearly as powerful as his minigun obviously, but it still does decent work. And when you manage to surprise an enemy team with a good flank his minigun practically becomes a free Ultimate when players who aren't expecting it just walk right into your spray of hate. Also, try to have a fall-back position in mind. Many a player have had the bright idea to chase me down as a wounded Bastion only for them to turn the corner only to walk right into a redeployed minigun.

Oh and he basically becomes a Kritzkreiged Soldier in tank form, complete with rocket jumps. Players are starting to catch on but a lot of people still don't realize that Bastion's tank form can rocket jump and therefore he suddenly becomes very air-mobile when he pops his ultimate.

And Lucio's weapon takes a bit of practice. Don't worry about being too bad with it, it does hit like a truck (as evidenced by what you'll do to any stationary enemies or turrets) but but the shot is relatively slow, and as Lucio you're supposed to be dancing about so you'll be shooting them everywhere. Just imagine them as cover fire.

...when you do get good/lucky with Lucio's M1 though he becomes an utter face-wrecker.

Lucio's M1 does 64 dps if you hit everything which is really low. That's a pretty anemic truck.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bolow posted:

If you land headshots it's 128 damage per burst, which is enough to put a hurt on anything not a tank.

It's still the worst weapon in the game damage-wise.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Grammaton posted:

Is Mercy's gun the same damage as D.Va's out of her mech suit?

Mercy's gun does more damage but has a lower fire rate.

Mercy's gun also has a slightly higher dps than D.Va's gun.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Played 2 games as Zenyatta this morning, wasn't oneshot at all. Patch owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

He's right to complain because Zenyatta is Still Bad.

He might not be optimal but he is so much more fun to play now that you don't get oneshotted by widowmakers all the time.