Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

dogstile posted:

The real reason is because those heroes are inconsistent or don't gel well. A good hanzo owns, but if he's having an off day, he's not contributing at all, whereas a soldier is at least putting out some damage.

People always say this, but over a ton of hours of hanzo, my damage output averaged out to ~90% of my hero damage output on soldier (elims/final blows/solo kills end up higher because hanzo does so much burst damage). I mean you're firing 120 damage projectiles into over-sized hitboxes, it's really not that hard to be hitting arrows. I've played every dps at length and they all feel comparably streaky.

Might just be that I've played too much hanzo and he's now a consistent hero for me, but a really off game still comes out to 75% of the damage I'd do on soldier.

That said, you're definitely right about the not gelling part. I pretty much don't play hanzo in solo-queue if I'm at all trying to win because just the pick tilts team mates even with a 70% winrate over 15 hours. In retrospect I wish i could go back and have put that same energy into learning a hero that you can play without your team mates instantly freaking out.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Moira or dva

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I agree, give hanzo flashbang

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Pingiivi posted:

Flashbang arrows. Done.

no, he's meant to get res arrows, get it straight

Thor-Stryker posted:

I don't mind changes to Hanzo as long as they permanently change his arrow-hitboxes to reflect the actual model.
I can't tell you how annoying it is to see an arrow fly 3feet to the side, only for it to count as a headshot.

If a character is so broken that you have to give it larger invisible hitboxes to make it work, then something's wrong.
Same goes with Genji's Reflect/Ult hitboxes being way larger than the sword animations.

Ironically he's got some new no-reg issues since the latest patch and it sucks a lot seeing an arrow pass through someone's head or just disappear into it but with no corresponding damage. :smith:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Mcree is in fact based off of the cowboy from El Topo, which I feel explains most of his character design decisions

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

Pro Hanzo change: when people are hit by arrows, leave the arrows sticking out of their model until they die

The best part of the Huntsman was seeing a guy running for a healthpack with a couple arrows sticking out of his chest

fun fact: sonic arrow does indeed stick in characters until its effect runs out (providing a mobile wallhack in the process)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It's already almost been done, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNaTZV8qS1I

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i mean they majorly hosed his hair up

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I enjoy pharah, but compared to every other fps' rocket users, she's terrible and feels slow af.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Hanzo is actually a lot more meta than people acknowledge because he's good at 1) instakill and 2) killing mercy and 3) killing junkbats which is basically the entire meta atm

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

Any tips for countering a really solid defense with barriers, snipers, and turrets? Tonight I was attacking on Eichenwalde a few times, when the defense was set up in the right rear corner, it was a massacre trying to get under past the bridge. Usually the defense is closer to the choke point, and you pick them off more easily.

I tried doing stuff to get to the left and onto the point, but that just distracts them a little bit unless we can get a good amount of our team over there. The third time tonight the curse was ended, since the enemy team only had Zarya as their tank and whatnot.

So what do you do in general against really tight defenses like that, especially at a distance?

mei wall em off and/or force them to fight you some place away from the static defenses

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The problem is he's also good at 4) missing all his shots and doing literally nothing.

tell that to the soldiers on my team when a pharah is killing our entire backline (again)

FAUXTON posted:

Also there's a "I'm gonna throw because someone else picked Hanzo" factor that comes into play. Like they may have picked up good transferable behaviors on the way to Hanzo Plat but they may have also developed latent manchild tendencies on the way to being Hanzo Main.

I was a shitlord before I ever slampicked my first hanzo. And I'd never throw a game on hanzo because I have a 69% winrate to maintain. Unless I had a 70% winrate, I guess. I'd throw then to get back to 69 for sure

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 26, 2017

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
you guys who think moiras ult sucks prob just should work on tracking cuz it is great at deleting heroes. Either hit 3-4 of them at once on the ground or use it to kill ulting mercy and still have some left to do a few hundred damage to each of their tanks.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
some guy named aZn_Salt or something like that friended me after a game to talk poo poo, I just laughed a bunch

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

adhuin posted:

ELO hell isn't real.

Leavers?
They're net-positive for you, unless you're one of them. (5 potential leavers on your team v 6 on other team)
Throwers?, Bad Picks? Little Kids? exactly same.

Only exception is, if you're bad enough dude to tilt your teams constantly. Then you might have more leavers than enemy.
But frankly you'd deserve that.

yeah but your math is missing the substantial chance that you get a tilted goon on your team and the % chance that your enemies will have a tilted goon on their team is near zero %

adhuin posted:

Only exception is, if you're bad enough dude to tilt your teams constantly. Then you might have more leavers than enemy.
But frankly you'd deserve that.

Real talk, this is actually a ton of people. People often make the pickup basketball comparison eg 'would you play a full game of pickup basketball with this person?' and the answer to a lot of the OW community is gently caress no, you'd leave and tell them to have fun playing with themself. I just straight up leave when I have someone ridiculously unpleasant on my team (after reporting) and my accounts are climbing even still.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 1, 2018

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yo gently caress healing on moira, do a bit of it, but people acting like you shouldn't kill everyone who gets out of position are dead wrong.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

Seriously? One of the ways I've found to help my team push is to toss out a heal orb right as they start getting injured, because they'll sometimes keep pressing forward because that's where the heals are. I've mostly been using the heal orb unless I'm completely topped off on my healbar or my team keeps running off in 6 different directions to leave me alone. I still do alright on damage, and I'll definitely use a damage orb if there's a nearby injured person who over-extended and I want to burst down, but in general I prioritize healing everyone while looking for injured/over-extended people to vamp on.

Maybe I've been playing on teams who had fewer Mercies in anticipation of the patch, because I was often sole healer or paired with a Zen or something. If there's a Mercy around I could definitely see being able to be more aggressive and looking for kills.

I mean you could use a cooldown to get them to move forward or you could just lie to your team about a low health soldier or mercy or whatever at the back of the enemy team. And there's no cooldown on lying to your team.

Constantine XI posted:

I think they should nerf the poo poo out of Moira's damage capabilities if just for the chance it might convince the Moira she should be trying to heal more instead of trying to be a DPS superstar.

Update: Just played my first game as Moira and for the most part tried to play her primarily as a healer. On defense the first thing I did was throw a damage orb into the enemy spawn and immediately got an achievement for it, so lol there I guess.
As far as trying to keep my team healed up it was a mostly miserable experience, the immediate benefit I could not see. We got rolled on the defense and on attack. Next game was KOTH and it was the same thing. Mostly healing felt pretty lackluster. On the second round I pretty much gave up and focused on dealing damage and from that point we pretty much destroyed them. It's too early for someone who has only two games with Moira under their belt to say, but does anyone else feel that Moira the support feels a bit anemic compared to Moira the vampire?

Just take a step back and look at this. "They should nerf the poo poo out of this hero" "just played literally my first game ever as this hero"

Moira does extremely anemic damage, the last thing she possibly needs is a damage nerf. The only way to die to moira is to be stuck like 10 seconds from cover.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 1, 2018

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Constantine XI posted:

Whatever you say. But I'm calling it now: they're going to nerf Moira's offense until she no longer feels more fun to play as a dps and people realize they should heal more with her.

you realize zen exists, who is a support that can consistently dish out as much more more damage than DPS characters?

In any event, she has super hard counters (mcree shooting her once in the body, once in the head, Dva eating orbs) and the only characters she really shuts down are wildly out of position heroes or genji and tracers who can't somehow out damage her.

BeeSeeBee posted:

I don't know, she seems pretty well positioned in the lineup as a powerful healer that just doesn't augment other players in the way the other healers do (ana can nano, lucio can speed or shield, mercy can boost you, zen can discord your target). Since the only direct effect on her teammates is going to be healing them, it can definitely lead to a bit more inattentiveness since once they're topped off, you're done with them and probably thinking about how to recoup those resources.

Her stats show her as a pretty reliable healer that manages to tag every enemy player but largely plays the point and doesn't appear to be off soloing the most part (dps has ~4x her solo kills).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkXQMdpCCbI&t=403s

I try to always have something left in the tank, but sometimes, welp, have to ignore my team to scoop some juice out of someone. So I can see how those moments of "why is the moira off chasing the dva instead of _____" stick out in people's mind.

I think she can hold her own, but her dps doesn't appear to be out of line to the point where if your interest is in killing people she'd be a good pick. There are so many more effective heroes for that, I don't know the type of person that would like killing in Moira's particularly lovely way.

Yeah you're def right about her limited engagement with team mates. Mechanically she's kinda hosed for looking around at team mates because her damage beam keeps you from looking away and while it is garbage damage, if someone is out of position enough that you can hit them for a second or two it's almost always better to. What I do to balance the two is to push forward and attack with her for a bit then just fade back behind my team, top people off, then push up again etc.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 2, 2018

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
if moira is so op I highly suggest you main her for a while and reap the sweet SRs and wins.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Rirse posted:

Bastion is probably more boring. Just sit in turret mode hoping someone didn't notice you and kill them....then die the moment someone counters you.

this is like 1000% the least fun and entirely wrong way of playing bastion ever

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
you should be straight team wiping the enemies as bastion at least once a game or you're doing a bunch of things wildly wrong

SHOOT N SCOOT, SHOOT N SCOOT, SHOOT N SCOOT

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

I know you're half joking but if you watch the pro league this is actually exactly how they use Bastion on Junkertown. They sit on the cart when safe to do so but the minute they're passing an area where they can get hit from the sides they hop off of the cart and shoot in recon mode or try to hang back a bit and turret that way.

Sometimes that is legit the best play to make when you're passing areas where you can easily get hit from the sides like with the two houses on point 1.

I normally half-shitpost around these parts, but this time I'm 100% serious about that. Shoot n Scoot. It's originally a tank warfare/artillery thing, but it applies supremely well to bastion (and really almost the entire cast in OW). If they know where you are, don't be there when they get back. Bastion does iirc ~700 dps at closeish range, so you can get a kill or two before they've even properly reacted to you. Once they know where you are you're turbofucked.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 3, 2018

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

berenzen posted:

I don't get the idea that they didn't try different things. What do you guys think the gameplay design team does all day?

tbh I just assume they are in a closet huffing paint all day

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

No Wave posted:

why are we proposing buffs for orisa

if you buff everything else, you can nerf her barrier. She's basically old DM-bot Dva with her current barrier. Mini grav is useful and awesome, but she is just a barrier generator first and foremost.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

dogstile posted:

It disables fade and sometimes i'd really like to be able to fade out of certain death

Sometimes i get hit by some ridiculous bullshit shatters though

I played a ton of pharah back when shatter extended up like 15 loving meters, lemme tell you about bullshit shatters.

On the other hand, whenever a reinhardt charges me I just jump and he flies right on by, so I guess it is only fair

dogstile posted:

Sure but that doesn't mean one skill is more powerful than another, etc.

I still think the ult is anemic, but it charges so goddamn fast i'm not sure anymore

People have weird idea about how ults should be game changing potg every time. Her ult kinda sucks, but it's not that hard to get decent mileage out of it. Seems to shine best either at breaking up a hard point of people hiding behind shields so you can push em/scatter their push/force out a defensive ult or (similarly) just pop it, start spraying anyone not in cover and yell at your team on comms to PUSH PUSH PUSH GO GO GO GOGOGOGOGOGOGGO BE AGGRESSIVE IVE GOT U BB

In any event you've got it back like 20-40 seconds later so using it in edge cases is fine.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

pretend her beam is zaryas beam

yes this 100%

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 7, 2018

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
listen you shitlord people it's my god given right to be as much of a complete rear end in a top hat as humanly possible to 5 other people AND they should have to try as hard as they can to help me win on top of it. I paid 30 usd for this game okay

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Real talk, just leave games if you have annoying assholes in them. I do this 100% of the time I get some whiny jerks and I enjoy the game like 20x more, plus my SR ends up around the same level anyways and my games feel easier. It's win-win

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
how to get more kills as orisa: you can only reload by firing all your bullets from now on

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Hey there's that classic blizzard balancing, then they can leave her in this comically busted state for 9 months. Maybe it's true that they really are struggling to figure out how to balance stuff on a really fundamental level if that's what they turned out.

1) 50% more damage to hacked targets is just rofl stupid. 15% would be extremely strong and would still be a big deal when combined with other available damage boosts

2) EMP now does 40% damage to everyone caught in it. This is just lazy af and uninteresting, wow a big aoe damage explosion and they clearly tried it make it ~dynamic~ by just slapping a huge fuckoff number on it. 40% is ridiculous. It could be 15-20% and it would still be strong, additionally so if it interacts with damage boosts. Also let's not talk about why tf an emp is doing damage to hp, either.

Anyways this rework would be a lot less perplexing if it didn't seem like every other hero was playing basically the same as currently.

and lol contrast this ridiculousness with the zarya rework of 'zarya gets two bubbles now!!'

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I feel like they could say 'we are planning to release more new characters in 2022 than we did in 2021' and people would be 1000x more hyped

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Up Circle posted:

I think they were told about the blizzard sale and promised lots of money, no gameplay involved.

nah there's basically zero chance they were told about the sale

probably were just show some hype new cinematic and told that they'd get support and early access and prob given a piece of the marketing money pie.

also worth noting that not everyone there left hyped

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Reiley posted:

That they never made a 12v12 mode for casual players is wild. Small teams in the 6v6 range are inherently not-casual just for how much weight every player carries at all times, they never made large team modes for casual players to blend into the crowd in- this was one of the features that made TF2 so approachable for so many years and OW just never picked up on it.

it's incredible that they never added any kind of 'gently caress around and have fun' mode beyond quickplay at literally any point and doubly so that they are releasing ow2 soon without it when it is probably the single biggest thing that the game actually needs to stay relevant among anything other than the hyper competitive crowd. A crowd which doesn't really exist anymore. The arcade could've been a glimmer of hope, but mystery heroes is innately flawed because eventually one team will get a steamroll comp and other stuff like mayhem or the event modes just... were too shallow to be particularly replayable and the fun part of the game is essentially the base game---when everything comes together just right.

The other huge question is what they will actually do differently to deal with toxicity, if anything. Trying to fully automate it categorically failed and if anything just made it more abusable. They'd never do it, but community servers really is the one way people can get a moderated experience without the company having to spend a penny on human moderation. Failing that, they absolutely have to find some way to eject the toxic/griefers/throwers from the community or they're just going to go down the exact same path that they did previously.

Lowkey also very curious if they're going to keep balancing the game in heavy handed infrequent blizzard-driven meta changing patches. Also got a big question about whether their reworks are coming out of some coherent vision for the game or just some weird loony toons zany poo poo where they just can't figure out how to balance and rework heroes that innately don't fit into the concept. We'll have to see in the beta how that turns out.

Also my dream for OW would be that they add a mild inertia system to movement. There's a reason why no FPS games do zero-intertia movement and it's wild that OW still has it. My other dream is that bobby kotick finally gets fired and most of the board replaced

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

What's the difference between what you're describing and Quickplay Classic?

The big one is that it's pvp as opposed to pve.

Beyond that, it's effectively the same game as comp and I think they'd legitimately have an easier time making a light hearted game mode if it didn't so closely resemble competitive.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

calcio posted:

Ping system in practice may not work well in OW. I don’t have time to pull up a menu, pick the appropriate ping and target an away area. Most of the time the event I need to communicate is over in a few seconds. Only ones are the obvious that players should see like hey there is a widow straight ahead up top sniping. Or kill that turret that keeps plinking away at you.

ping systems are honestly incredible and they do a huge amount to close the gap between players with and without microphones and the craziest thing is that it took 3 years to implement a ping system for a game that has had huge problems with players not communicating for a variety of reason, many of which were entirely valid

Minera posted:

yeah they made this game already it was called world of warcraft and it sucks rear end

lol don't get me wrong, i'm personally deeply ambivalent about whether or not they can actually pull this together into something good, but the whole 'we should add a PVE thing, that's what the game needs!' was their own drat idea. idk if it's the right idea or not because personally I think that the time to have had a pve mode in the game was, like, 2017

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

calcio posted:

Okay, a contextual ping may work with a hot key and hopefully will help avoid some toxicity. But there are still idiots that refuse to swap to counter or are getting countered hard which I need an idiot ping for.. My favorites are the ones that swap with a couple minutes left after spending the whole match eating dirt.

in my ideal world pinging the hero they should switch to would contextually play a passive aggressive comment about their performance and a suggestion to switch

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
they added a second soldier76?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

calcio posted:

Canadian soldier with a rail gun…

You fire an automatic assault rifle that then fires charged up helix rockets rail gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp9WyoI5bLk&t=129s ?

e: Okay soldier 76 with a big aoe slow as her cooldown :stare:

e2: Even in the promo footage she is ~DPS positioning~ lol

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 16, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Actually looks pretty good as a soldier rework imo, not a fan of the cc and I can't fathom why they keep insisting on adding even more cc to the game, but leaning into mobility is good and getting rid of heal can is good too---lord knows OW has 200% too much healing already. I just don't get why they're keeping the old soldier76 in the game.

Jack Trades posted:

A while ago they talked about how they wanted to remove CC from DPS, as they should be, and I was getting hopeful about it but lol, get hosed apparently because the first OW2 character is a DPS with CC.

the promo footage shows a mei+sojourn dps combo which I'm sure will be very fun to play against

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 16, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I want to see "bobby kotick fired' in the patch notes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

hey another entirely new cc ability, nice. I thought they said they were moving away from cc abilities

at least this new cc ability is apparently a skill shot

headcase posted:

I really do wonder how that is going to work without a shield. like even if she is behind a corner, so much of her thiccness is hanging out to be shot at, and its not like hog where you step out, do a thing and step back, or sigma where you can shoot around a corner.

e: I guess with 3 denial or fortify abilities there might not be much down time.

Dead serious that OW is drat near impossible to balance with the current size discrepancy of characters. Orisa previously needed the 100% uptime barriers because otherwise she's literally the broadside of a barn. Her length also meant that she was particularly vulnerable to flanks due to being a large target cross-sectionally, which sort of worked with her being able to deny one direction decently. Now she's a fat target from 3 sides lol. I'm aware of zero other games that have managed to balance vastly larger characters against much smaller ones at a high competitive level. Or, hell, at almost any level

On a broader note, map-based cover is suddenly a much bigger deal: how much are they going to rework maps because the maps are extremely not set up around defensive/offensive cover. They're designed from the ground up with the idea that barriers will be generating the tactically necessary cover in most situations.

also lol it has sucked not being able to talk about these changes

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 21, 2022