Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Henker posted:

I didn't back Black Rose Wars, but I just noticed that none of the publisher's KS games have even shipped yet. One was funded back in 2016. That's kind of a bad sign, isn't it?

They said that was mostly because of production/factory issues that they've finally gotten around to sorting out, and (hopefully) now that they know a bit more about what they're doing, this project should go more smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I've always heard the best part of Dark Souls was the boss fights, and MHW is basically that with some CYOA bits between fights (or just fights in the arena). I have no idea how the combat/stamina system will feel to play, it looks like a simplified version of the combo combat DMC had, which people seemed to like, so hopefully it's not terrible. I know this isn't the highest praise, but to me, MHW seems like they're basically trying to mesh two of the systems people liked(?), and dressing it in the Monster Hunter IP. Hopefully, with them only having to produce like 20 miniatures, they won't have colossal gently caress-ups in production but... SFG kickstarters are basically a dice roll. They could be delayed a few months, or you could end up getting your pledge split up into waves, delivering over years.

edit: I will say, I'm disappointed there's no Rathian revealed yet. Maybe they're saving it for a surprise unlock, but having both Rathian & Rathalos in your MH product seems like the bare minimum. But you wouldn't be able to fight both at the same time anyway, so...

Desfore fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 21, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

A thing that bothers me with the MHW boardgame is why attach a specific title name to it? It already feels outdated because Rise is out. Just call it Monster Hunter The Boardgame!

It's based specifically around MHW: it has the area's from that game, artwork from that game, and monsters that originated & returned for MHW. This deal's probably been in the work for a while, when MHW or Iceborne was the newest game. I think a general Monster Hunter game would provide a lot more opportunity for content, but MHW was the big hit worldwide (and probably Capcom management).

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Reading through that Warcraft KS is a treat. They keep advertising this "600+ piece" number, for the book stand I guess? I can't believe that they'd really make something that complicated, when it just unfolds and you put the actual terrain on top. And they advertise "detail painting" when the mini's are all monochrome and could easily be done with colored plastic. Unless this claim of "detail painting" amounts to just an ink wash over bare plastic. Oh, but them they couldn't charge $100 for a coat of black spray paint. I know they advertise "increased challenge," but just imagine trying to keep all those different direction arrows in mind, painted pure black, with mini's on top of them...

But watching the video of the gameplay, the colors don't seem to relate to the gameplay at all! It seems like they're going for a 'silver > Alliance' 'brown > Horde' dynamic, but the only pieces that matter are the 5 faction leaders. The opposing player controls ALL other pieces, regardless of color, and terrain colors are meaningless. Oh, did I say 5 leaders? I meant 4, cause despite there being 5 Faction Leader mini's per side, the gameplay video shows you only play with 4 at a time! :psyboom:

And they don't even mention what material they're planning to make the mini's out of. From the shininess of the renders, and the price, my mind first went to metal miniatures, but they show a clearly plastic sprue in the Limited Edition picture. So not only are they 'painting' the mini's, they're planning to cut, clean, and assemble them first. Call me skeptical if I don't have much faith in the quality control of a KS outsourcing all this labor to "our partners in the Orient." It'd probably drop the pledge amount by over half to just ship un-assembled sprues to backers.

All this to say, I wish them the best of luck in their campaign, and I look forward to the train of stretch goals they're bound to unlock.

Edit: Oh my God, the Q&A section keeps going. They plan to have the first shipments arrive by the end of December. Good luck on that one. And from the size of the book stand, I assumed you could store the pieces inside, but Nope! "All pieces will be boxed with vacuum formed shells to prevent them from being damaged. We will offer for sale, a premium carrying case at some point." Why does the book have a handle on it if it's not a carry-able box???

Desfore fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 16, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

They're at $10k/$500k after a day (?). Even if Blizzard boosts some marketing their way, I would be surprised if they fund.

Anyway,

:psyduck:

Well, you have to keep in mind, the base pledge level is $500, so they'd only need to trick around a thousand people to reach that goal. If Blizz actually advertises this on Twitter or potentially the Battle.Net client, I think there's enough traffic to find 1,000 stooges with money to burn. But, that's a big IF at the moment. I think the lack of any comments at the moment speaks to the... authenticity of the money they've raised so far.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 16, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Azubah posted:

Other than the obvious, I thought it was weird that the faction leaders were wrong/dead for current WoW.

I mean other than how stupid the entire product sounds.

Yeah, the model selection seems like a mixed bag. Without Velen & Lor'Themar, I feel like you could make an argument for it being a Classic WoW theme, especially with all the monster models being random Vanilla mobs. But then they throw in the Heart of Azeroth, and Mekkatorque in his post-Legion mech-suit.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 16, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Well, checking back in on the GameVaults project, they added a new video showing off their prototypes, so there has been some work being put in behind the scenes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCReC6wu1xs

It just seems like, there's so much wasted effort going into the design of this thing. Like, the vault mechanism legitimately looks pretty cool, but I don't need all that to play a board game. And they show off the bottoms of the terrain pieces with "Hidden details" that you wouldn't see during gameplay, magnets to attach them to the board, and I just kept thinking to myself, "If you cut out all this extra poo poo, have a $50~100 tier with a regular board and just the player pieces, this might have been a serviceable campaign."

Desfore fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 18, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

It's showed up in the launcher now, so let the fools and their money be parted:

:vince:
I'm hoping that, at the bottom right slot, it's far away enough from the 'Play' button for people to not notice, but... It really has Blizzard's approval.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Also I wanted to post this

I definitely noticed that two or three days after it appeared on the Battle.Net launcher, it was already pushed off the news section. I actually kinda feel sorry for these guys. It seems like they put in a bit of work designing this weird thing and getting Blizzard's licensing approval, but this whole campaign was just... not planned out at all. Although, I guess you could say that the game itself wasn't properly planned to begin with.

I don't know if they expected the WoW IP to sell itself, or how they thought this campaign would actually work. I caught a news post for it on WoWHead a week after it launched because I was actively watching for it, but between the TBC Classic release & upcoming patch info, they pump out dozens of random articles a day. Over half the comments (which weren't many) were gawking over the price and black paint edition, so even dedicated WoW fans weren't willing to jump on this.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 27, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

They fell into the trap a lot of game designers fall into, where they thought "more complexity = better gameplay." But that thought process extended into actual usability issues and labor costs for paint & construction (Which doesn't matter if you have a successful Kickstarter, right?! :homebrew:)

If they decide to sell the minis separately from the gameboard, it'd probably be a way better idea to just completely scrap this KS and do a Reaper Bones style campaign with tons of minis. They certainly could just sell these they have done, but trying to estimate the scale of the prototypes in their video, (1:33 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCReC6wu1xs&t=93s) they look a bit too big to be used alongside regular D&D or Warhammer mini's, unless you consider them bosses or something. They'd probably have to go back and get Blizzard's approval all over again though, which might not go as smoothly as the first time.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 28, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

So, the GameVaults: World of Warcraft® Edition finally updated, and added Miniature Only packs. $45 for 5 models, or $150 for all 20. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamevaults/gamevaults-world-of-warcraft-edition/posts/3247221

However, they all come packaged with "premium Display Cases." I know they're billing this whole thing as Premium Collector Display Ultra Quality, but I don't know who sees this failed campaign and thinks "Let's take the one positive suggestion we've got, and ruin it by trying to upsell more unnecessary fluff." I'm sure, if this were a real campaign with people talking about it, you could do some math here to estimate how much they're valuing the mini's vs the display cases, and how much of that $499 price tag is just being gobbled up by that board. I'll give them credit for not throwing in the towel, but with little over a week to go, this is too little, far too late.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Infinitum posted:

How it started

How it's going

The matte finish isn't even the worst part to me, it looks like they reduced the level of detail in the prints (Particularly the sides of the green train). I know that tends to happen with these miniature kickstarters, but... when you're just selling people dozens of copies of the same 5 models, I would've figured they'd do their best to deliver what their prototype's looked like. Even if you wanted to give these things a gloss varnish yourself, I think that would just highlight how gummy these look now.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 29, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I've only played the solo version, which was a tacked on stretch goal that feels... fine. Overall, from my experience, and reading other people's reviews, It's an alright game that gets bogged down by having too much going on. I think if it had purely focused on being a mage battle arena game, it could've been Great, but BRW has you doing quests, activating rooms, tracking your points, tracking Rose points, mage HP, room HP, deciding which spells to ready for your turn, and in which order to play them in. That's not really a negative, but it tends to slow down the action of the game, which should be more the focus. If your play group prefers quicker action games, this miiight not be a great choice. But for those that like strategizing, deckbuilding, etc will probably get a kick out of BRW.

Setup is a tad extensive, having to get a bunch of the spell decks, quest decks, room tiles, tokens and miniatures prepared. If you just stick to the core box content, the decision-making is still manageable and interesting, but trying to run a game with all the stretch goal options available to you just seems like hell. The mini's are pretty great quality, and the cards & cardstock are fine, but the text translation isn't perfect. You won't have a problem 95% of the time, but the phrasing on some cards are odd/don't line up with other cards, and I think there was one example of text being left untranslated from Italian, but I can't remember specifics. General consensus I've gathered is: it's alright, very ambitious but didn't quite reach the top bar, stick to maybe 3~ish players and a handfull of spell decks for each game. poo poo loads of content to vary up between sessions in the stretch goals, though!

I'm gonna pledge to this KS for now, see how the stretch goals develop, then decide to stick around or bail. This sequel/expansion definitely looks about the same amount of content as the original core box (for a larger price), but so far the Stretch goals seem to be much more reigned in. Following the production of the original BRW was a trip, mostly due to the mountain of stretch goals they unlocked, and then struggled to produce & ship out. So, I'm not super confident pledging to them again after that experience, but I did end up getting everything I pledged for (The mini's), so... can't complain too hard I guess.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 25, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Under the Risks section, they say they've been in contact with the SCP Wiki:

quote:

We have communicated with the licensing team of SCP foundation(official site) before developing this game. All the contents relating to the SCP Foundation which is licensed under Creative Commons Sharealike 3.0. http://www.scpwiki.com/​ and its authors. All credit will be referenced in the rule book properly.

But... let's just say I don't have much faith when their only other project was a failed card game about the Hong Kong riots.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Didn't it come to light during the canal crisis that it's not that uncommon for boats to get stuck and refloated, but somehow the severity and location of the Ever Given blockage that made it a huge effort?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

It definitely felt like this campaign didn't catch people's interest like previous ones from them. But I noticed, in this post he says he's gonna explain their reasoning behind postponing the campaign, but... he doesn't really. He just apologizes for letting the backers down, and says what they aim to fix between now and January.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I’m kinda tired of Batman miniature games, but having you play villains fighting against or escaping from Batman is an interesting mixup. I feel them posturing to be “the biggest Batman project on Kickstarter” just means that they’re gonna be unnecessarily bloated on extras and expansions.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Tsilkani posted:

A challenge for the thread: can you figure out what this kickstarter is actually for?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hooligansco/faros-lounge-fantasy-sports-cards-world-series-showdown

I think I understand that he wants to design his own sport cards for a fantasy football event? But will the cards be sexy, will they have the player's on them, or will it all be naked comic book characters?

I just looked over the updates, and the first picture features a barely-clothed Psylocke and a pirate I don't recognize, apparently representing the 1903 World Series game between the Pittsburg Pirates & the Boston Americans??? So, I have no idea what's going on

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Tsilkani posted:

Hell if I know, I can't make heads or tails of the screed on that page.

I do wonder if Marvel would look kindly on him selling tits-out Psylocke cards, though. Especially when he's not even trying to hide it.

Probably not, but this might fall in the same realm as artists selling fan-art at a convention. They don't have a license for it, and technically they could get cease & desisted for it, but it's small scale sales, without any kind of retailer or storefront, that it wouldn't be worth the effort. But, some companies are pretty strict about nudity...

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Resident Evil: The Board Game - by Steamforged Games. Allegedly a 27hr campaign over multiple sessions. Will probably feature 10,000 minis in a Kallaxs worth of boxes. Will also make a bajillion dollars

only 27 hours?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

InternetJunky posted:

I was pumped for the Skyrim campaign but wtf is up with those miniatures? If I'm forking over $300+ I expect industry-standard mini quality at the very least. Hard pass just on the minis alone.

And these are the upgraded models???

I just read all the addon descriptions, this isn't a pack of upgraded miniatures, this is to upgrade the base game and replace the monster tokens with miniatures. So, even if you pledge for the "All Gameplay" tier, you'd have to add on this miniature upgrade box to have more than just the player characters be mini's. You don't even get a Dragon mini in the base game, in SKYRIM.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 3, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Hoarding sealed TCG boxes has become a pretty popular investment. I think Metazoo started as a KS, and has become decently popular (to hoard boxes. I don't know who actually plays it). So, anytime a TCG Kickstarter pops up, people flock to it, and invest thousands to get palettes of product, hoping to score big in a few years reselling "First edition" boxes. But, there was also one or two cases where allegedly someone pledged like $20k, and then tried to blackmail the creator into signing a contract with them, otherwise they'd refund the money, or report them to Kickstarter somehow... It's all a mess, but I'm sure the creators are fine with wherever the money is coming from.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

theironjef posted:

There's gotta be a forum somewhere where the people that buy into these are congregating and talking about them. Otherwise they're too small and too quiet to just be zeitgeist moments. Someone is whale hunting somewhere.

r/MTGFinance is the subreddit for people reselling magic cards and hoarding sealed boxes, but I don't frequent it enough to know if they talk about other card games & kickstarters.

It definitely wouldn't surprise me if there's something shady going on, but at the same time, there totally are people out there willing to drop thousands on the gamble that these cards will be worth something in a few years. But, just searching KS for TCG shows several other games with next to no funding, so it's not like "TCG" is just a wild goldmine right now... I did stumble across some guy making a Yu-Gi-Oh knockoff that's surprisingly well funded: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chaosensuming/chaos-ensuming-tcg/description

I know this is personal preference, but I would never want to play card games with art that looks like it was drawn with colored pencils. It just reminds me too much of custom Pokemon cards.

Edit: looking at that dude's pledges, there's no way he should have $10K with only 42 backers. The highest tier is a 1 slot pledge for $400... There is something fishy going on.

Edit2: there are 2 backers that have left comments on both campaigns, "Ghost This" and "Seth H." They're advertising a Discord group that seems to be half personal chat room, and half filled with bots cross-promoting other discords and services.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 15, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I could see picking that up as a gag gift for someone, but I would never pledge for that on KS for myself.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

BTW, another insane TCG just dropped:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/weebs/grand-archive-tcg
$527,000
461 backers
45 day (long) campaign

I really don't get it. Maybe all these TCGs grab the exact same backers dropping the exact same amounts of money.

I noticed the name "Seth H" in the comments between 3 of these TCG campaigns. And from his comments it sounds like he's a big spender, asking about how many boxes are being produced, if he can add more cases onto his pledge, what's the difference between first editions and retail boxes, etc.

edit: jesus christ, they have NFT cards. You should be allowed to report them just for that...

Desfore fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 17, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

That's a little how I felt. I don't know how much it'll really get on the table, but I love monster movies and painting mini's. So, this is probably the best opportunity to mix the two.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

For right now, I'm just commiting to the core + 4 player expansion pledge. I'm definitely gonna upgrade in the PM, but I dunno what addons to get, yet. If it were just the Monster Faction packs, I'd probably be All-in, but they added the extra map packs & unit/building packs that I don't really care for...

If I had to rate the individual faction boxes: I love the Fish + Junk Robot box, the Ninja + 8th dimension box, and the Gorilla + Mecha Kaiju box. I like the Martians, but I don't really care for the Giant Animal half; I like the Mecha Dragon, and kinda like the Drill guys ( two headed guy looks weird, but he might be cool in-hand); and the last box seems to be a leftover mix of monsters?

Desfore fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 17, 2021

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I didn't see anyone post this yet, so Atmosfear (Or Nightmare in the US) is having a 30th anniversary reprint on Kickstarter. The weird part is, they're not going to include any form of physical media for the video to go along with the game. They promise to have downloadable versions available, but the intention is to just put the videos on Vimeo, and have you stream it. Also, it's just the original Gatekeeper video & the Baron Samedi expansion so far, even though the page has a picture showing off every host in the series.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/183490383/atmosfear-video-board-game-30th-anniversary-edition

(also, it's shipping from Australia. So beware shipping costs in the future.)

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I was browsing through the tabletop Kickstarters, and I stumbled across a pop-up terrain set from the Tabletop Titan Youtubers. It looks neat, but I immediately recognized that it's pretty similar to a previous Kickstarter from a year ago. The best part is, the TT guys had done a preview for the Upzone terrain set for their KS, and are now claiming they've had plans for years to make terrain, but not officially at the time, so they didn't feel the need to disclose any conflicts of interest they had with Upzone... It's a bit of a mess. I don't think they directly aimed to plagiarize Upzone, but it wouldn't surprise me if they took some design inspirations after playing on their prototype, consciously or not.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I hadn't considered but getting out of the board game business seems to have been an early indicator things are Not Good for IDW.

Yeah, I don't really follow IDW stuff beyond seeing pages of the Transformers comics posted around online, but I've just kept hearing that they've been steadily imploding for the last year or so.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

homullus posted:

how hard can he be to paint? comicmans are, like, three colors

Better have an airbrush

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

homullus posted:

There was an article about that in Spielbox, and the next issue had three letters to the editor complaining about how wokeness is ruining things and proudly defending Historical Accuracy in games.

It wasn't just complaining about wokeness, there was a weird pushback against the phrasing of the news post. I forget exactly what it was, but it was like them hiring a consultant to look over sensitive topics was somehow implying that the industry was inherently racist for never dealing with such topics until now? It was some real deliberate misreading of the situation to paint them as "thinking they're better than the average tabletop player."

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Gently Caress-Wolves.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I don't understand why this game is pizza themed. I think the little pizza box is cute, but aside from the word "Margherita" on everything, this is nothing. Just, "Flip a coin 40 times, and if you guess wrong, you instantly lose." Maybe if you threw the cards like pizza dough...?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Infinitum posted:

lol @ new Robotech KS
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/minitech-games/robotech-macross-dog-fight-the-miniatures-game

1.) gently caress Harmony Gold
2.) lolololol @ pledge level pricing

I'm glad I'm not a Macross fan, the game looks busy and confusing, but those mini's are... alright. The flight path thing looks weird and unique in a gif, but I'm sure that'll be annoying as hell to play with.

Also, apparently the company behind this is actually Kids Logic, and MiniTech Games are just their brand of licensed miniatures. https://www.kidslogic.toys/pages/minitechgames
And Kids Logic is still on the hook to deliver that DBZ miniature game from a few years ago. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kidslogic/dragon-ball-z-smash-battle-the-ar-powered-miniatures-game

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I don't think the miniatures really look that bad, details tend to be on the softer/muddy side, but the wash is really hit or miss. Also, kind of inconsistent, some monsters have really strong dark contrast, others are much more subtle. I think the comments calling for refunds are a bit extreme (but to each their own), but I feel sorry for the guys in the comments saying they paid $50+ extra to get the shading. You could just buy a can of dip wash and probably get the same result.

I don't understand the Big Box pics. I can't tell if they're stacking two boxes on top of each other, or one big box that can... split into two small boxes, with the same face art I guess?

Desfore fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 30, 2022

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/guildhallstudios/sea-of-legends-vengeance-of-the-empires

I don't know anything about this game and I don't care to learn but goddamn wtf is that character design

I had no idea this game already shipped, let alone get another reprint. All I've ever seen of the game was a painting video from Dana Howl from a whiiile back. Edit: here we go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnkpdPp69dk

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

It wouldn't surprise me if they manage to squeeze by their goal by the end of the funding period. They've hit a massive slump (with negative growth now), but there's always a spike at the end of a project. However, labeling tier rewards as down-payments, for the rest to be collected in January, really kinda rubs me the wrong way. I guess it's not any different than pledging $1 to join a pledge manager, but the wording makes it feel like it should run afowl of some kind of KS guidelines. Especially since they keep touting the, "Pledging is not a sale" motto.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

I've never heard of wolf bristle brushes before.

I think modern synthetics are good enough quality to replicate natural sable (depending on price & brand, etc), however I think if you ask a high-level professional painter to directly compare, there will always be slight differences between synthetic and natural. For the painting work I do, synthetic is good enough (but I've still picked up one Sable brush just to have one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Those are some cute games, but the two I'd be interested in (Viking See-Saw and 3 Second Try) look to be in separate sets. So.. I guess I'd have to also pick up the Ninja game just to get those two? That's kinda jank.