Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

So, I'm pretty excited for Trick of the Rails. I enjoyed Sail to India, from the same designer, and trick-taking and train games (no matter how abstracted) are two of my favorite types of game, so there, my first backed Kickstarter in quite a while.

Also got a survey for the Burning Wheel Codex, so that must be running close to on-time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I don't think I'll ever get tired of reading people's muddled confusion in response to Burning Wheel Codex updates.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Merauder posted:

On a more positive note in Kickstarter land, Red Raven Games / Ryan Laukat's latest offering Near and Far went up yesterday and looks amazing. It's a direct sequel to his 2015 game Above and Below, which featured light euro mechanics of semi-worker placement and set collection, blended with some light storytelling as well. The new one is a totally different game mechanically, but follows the same idea of a mechanically sound game with story elements. From the looks of it he's improved the story elements a bit this time around, and also is including a campaign mode. Looks pretty stellar.

I just got in my copy of Islebound and I can't wait to play. I couldn't back Near and Far fast enough. I've backed most of Red Raven's games on Kickstarter and have enjoyed them all.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Plague and Pestilence is legit fun, but not worth the ridiculous prices I've seen it going for. I also find it funny -- and a bit shocking -- that there's a review of it on BGG from 16 years ago. Then again, I suppose I bought my copy shortly after moving to Cincinnati, 22 years ago or so.

Actual TG Kickstarter chat: today I got two packages from DriveThru -- a corrected version of Fellowship (yay, working page numbers!) and a print copy of Fortitude: By the Docks of Big Lake. Both were nice surprises.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Huh. The $1 tier on the Swords & Wizardry 3d printing is a pay-what-you-want for the PDF version.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Zratha posted:

Not quite as exciting as all the Gloomhaven stuff, but my copy of Herbaceous arrived last week and I am very happy with it. The theme is neat and the artwork is really lovely, and the fact that it is only takes about 15-20 minutes makes it a nice low commitment game to play when you don't have the time/energy for something more involved.

I have been wanting to get this on the table since my copy arrived a few days ago. I backed it because it's a Doctor Finn design -- and it definitely shares an aspect with Scripts and Scribes -- and the card artwork is just beautiful. I also got a copy of Lotus for Christmas, and we've never played Arboretum, so soon we'll have a nice botanical-themed game day.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Empires of the Void II, from Red Raven Games/Ryan Laukat (Above and Below, Islebound, Eight-Minute Empires, City of Iron, etc.) just hit KS.

I just backed this -- I've gotten all of Red Raven's other Kickstarter games, and enjoyed them all. (Well, I still haven't played Above and Below.) I was thinking about picking up Empires, but since there's this sequel/refinement, I'll just go with this one.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Was just checking in on a few Kickstarters from ancient times that never delivered ( which has been surprisingly few, honestly) and boy people are mad about City State of the Invincible Overlord from Judge's Guild as well as Mekton Zero. The Judge's Guild thing is the most interesting to me because apparently the thing now is that the whole thing is a Bob III project and not Judges Guild at all (after the son spent all the money on personal things the father walked away). So even though they say they only have 40 pages of lay out left this will never see the light of day and people are now looking into getting lawyers involved.

I'm pretty lucky, I guess, because this is my only big Kickstarter failure. Sure, there have been things I've been disappointed about once I got them, and there are still a few wayward things rattling around that may never be finished (anyone else back Guide to the Village by the Sea?), but this is one of my two big pledges -- I added on for all the maps, so it was what, $125? I always wanted to buy CSIO when I was a kid but never had the money to do it.

My other big-pledge Kickstarter was Chuubo's, which went wrong for different reasons. I have a PDF of the third book, but I really wish she'd finish the cover and release it for POD. I'd like to have the actual book to go with the other two, even if I gotta pay for it myself.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I received my copy of Alas, Vegas today, and read an update saying that print proofs are being reviewed for the third Chuubo's book -- so I can scratch one off my list of wayward Kickstarters, and I'm closer to scratching a second. After that, I've only got Guide to the Village by the Sea and The Queen's Cavaliers in the "still probably getting released someday" pile, and a couple of things that are just dead (Rosemont Bay, mainly).

Ah, well, it's not so bad. My track record with video game Kickstarters has been much, much worse.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The_Doctor posted:

I back Spirits of the Forest because it looks really nice and pretty, and it’s pretty cheap.

A gorgeous (third) re-implementation of a Michael Schacht set collection game? Yes PLEASE.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

OgreNoah posted:

I pledged for Spirits of the Forest, which has 71 minutes left. Looks fun, and it's fairly cheap.

Gorgeous art, and a re-theme of a very fun Michael Schacht card game. Yep, yep, yep.

I haven't backed a board game Kickstarter in ages but I was more than happy to get this one.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Well, it looks like the cartographer for the City-State of the Invincible Overlord KS has dragged permission out of Judges' Guild to publish the maps, which he's completed, as well as revised guidebooks. He'll provide at-cost printing codes for the maps and guidebooks, so if I throw another $20 (maps) and $16 (guidebooks) at the project I'll have a fraction of what I pledged for.

Well, that's better than what I thought I was getting, which was nothing.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Nystral posted:

Taking a quick peek at the KS it seems like JG just ran off with the money and now the cartographer is just trying to recoup some of his time and effort? Does that sum it up?

Yeah, that's pretty close. There's some family drama I'm too exhausted to look into on the JG side, and the reason the cartographer is doing this is the failed Kickstarter is having a negative impact on some other books he's done for the Wilderlands. Basically, I think the only thing that was ever really done was the maps. I've had most of them in PDF forever -- some of the files on my HD date from 2014 -- but the book has been "in layout" for years, with updates getting less and less frequent. (Sound familiar?) All I have at the moment for my $165 or so are 12 of 18 maps in digital format, a scanned PDF of the original CSIO book and a (supposedly) corrected OCR of the same thing.

I always kicked myself for not buying the boxed set as a teenager from Kay-Bee, where it sat for just about forever, but I should have just gone on to eBay and bought the damned thing instead of pledging to this Kickstarter.

Edited to add: Don't get me wrong, the CSIO book is a thing of beauty -- page after page of story seeds, and an answer for every time the party asks "But what's the shop owner's name?" (If you don't mind them being things like Walsie Nadix or Beleroptar.) I'm thinking of actually using it soon; I'm going to wait to see how the cartographer's stuff turns out. The major problem is that nothing I've got is actually a map of the city itself...

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 2, 2018

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Mors Rattus posted:

quote:

•Note: In Syystem Space Merinces are the Paladin Class: and you learn that the YY have a special meaning. They are pronounced with an E sound. Syystem is also a sister game of our first game Myythic. At level 6 Myythic Paladins get Wings, which is why Space Merinces have Combat wings for gear.

Hey meester -- want to play with my seestem?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Thank you for posting about this; I'd hate to have missed out on it.

Edit: And oh, wow, I just got an e-mail about an upcoming Kickstarter for a third edition of Over The Edge. One of my favorite games I've never gotten to play; I have a whole shelf full of stuff for it. Yes, please.

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 1, 2018

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

8one6 posted:

This kills me because Alhambra is one of my favorite board games but gently caress supporting Kickstarter exclusive bullshit.

Alhambra is an excellent game at the base. I've never played with an expansion to it that actually made it a better game, just a busier or more disjoint game. (Kind of like Carcassonne, excepting the first couple of expansions, or Settlers.) So this Kickstarter is, like, triply not for me, but it does make me want to put Alhambra out on the game table, which is like the Bat-signal for "I want to play this soon" in our house.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Atlas Games has a Kickstarter up for a new version of Over the Edge, one of my favorite games I've only gotten to play, like, two times. Also on offer, PDFs of the complete line of previous editions, including the novel Pierced Heart. A while back, there was an anniversary edition in a all-the-frills hardcover, which I have, but I like the look of the basic hardcover here, so that's what I'm going for, along with the dice.

Here's my best shot at explaining the game: OTE is a narrative stew of conspiracy theories, alien invasions, weird science, witchcraft and general paranoia, all pushing at each other in the close confines of an island dictatorship, fitted with a loosey-goosey new-agey RPG system that works off of wide interpretation of 2d6 rolls. (Jonathan Tweet is closer to Everway, here, than D&D, is what I'm saying.) It sounds like a mess, and maybe it is, but what a glorious mess, with ideas jumping off almost every page, and some of the best supplements I've ever read. It's a game where I read something, go "well, how would that ever work in a game?" and then realize that I already have a dozen related ideas that will work just fine.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The_Doctor posted:

Omg I love the one with orc butt. Can't wait to get mine! :D

The Verdigris-tone tan!

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I just got a note asking me to confirm my address for delivery of a physical copy of The Glass-maker's Dragon. Can it be true? Is one of my two big all-in projects about to finish delivering?

(The other was City-State of the Invincible Overlord, and I don't expect to ever get that.)

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Every update makes me happier I backed The Forest Hymn and Picnic. :kimchi:

Americana looks good. I treated it like any other Kickstarter page, skipping right past the video; sorry. After reading through it I actually went to pledge, and then remembered it was a preview -- so, looking forward to Monday, I guess.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Yep -- the button worked this time!

Good luck, guys.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Covok posted:

I'm just going to say this. I'm an accountant. I specialize in tax accounting. I do addition and subtraction and rarely multiplication. I did division once. When a computer scientist said this and made an argument, I believe them. I'm starting to think I may have been miscorrect in my trust.

I have been a computer programmer for over 30 years. I do EVERYTHING with a calculator. Nothing about programming makes you good at math, or vice-versa.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

My copy of The Glass-Maker's Dragon arrived today. I am happy -- and a bit surprised -- that a kind of troubled Kickstarter has finally delivered on everything I was supposed to get. One down, three to go...

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

clockworkjoe posted:

Greg Stolze has a new sci-fi RPG out on KS. Termination Shock is about :

Oh hell yes. This looks quite cool.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Why, thread? Why did I order a replacement copy of Burning Wheel Gold for my original copy of Burning Wheel Gold which supplanted my original printing copy of Burning Wheel, none of which I have never read or played?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

inklesspen posted:

Maybe now's a great time to read them.

Well, April will be a great time to read them, I guess.

Hmm. My current game -- I've been running Stonehell Dungeon in 5e for just about as long as that's been possible -- is coming to a close soon. Everyone wants to keep going with those characters, now 15th and 16th level, mostly because nobody in the group has ever done an actual 1-to-20 campaign. I'm trying to talk them into some palette-cleansing one-shots as a break, and the timing works out well. Burning Wheel and Over the Edge it is, then!

Well, I hope.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Arivia posted:

Knave is by Ben Milton (also known as The Questing Beast) who is one of the very very good eggs in the OSR community who pays attention to inclusivity and good game design: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/250888/Knave

Thanks for this; I hadn't heard of it, and it's pretty darn cool. I want to use it for something soon.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I quite like Eight Minute Empire and The Ancient World; Islebound and Above and Below were fun, but I haven't gotten them to the table more than once. (Not because we didn't like the games, just because we aren't playing many games. I mean, I haven't even gotten Snowdonia on the table yet.) I have a lot of his other games because, yes, I like the art.

The reason I haven't backed Sleeping Gods is because I already have Above and Below and Near and Far, and there's a lot of game in those boxes. I don't need to add another storybook game with two campaigns to the stack.

I do wish I had backed Empires of the Void II, though.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Flavivirus posted:

In other news - I'm launching my new kickstarter later today, and thought I'd give the thread an early preview in case there were any glaring errors or weirdness.

This looks pretty awesome; I'm looking forward to the launch.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

And you're already 1/3 of the way there!

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I swear, every update for The Forest Hymn & Picnic makes me want the game even more. I think it will finally be the pastoral life game I can get to the table with a specific group of friends.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The Moon Monster posted:

I had the same experience with DOS1, apparently it's actually level gated pretty hard so you have to do stuff in a specific order. I just gave up.

Me too, twice. I sometimes think about playing it with a guide as to what order to take things, but, much like I've seen with Romancing Saga 3, it kind of takes some of the fun out of it.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

OgreNoah posted:

I've been wondering where my printed copy of Americana was, apparently like 25 days ago DriveThru RPG shipped it with no information except the zip code, and thus it is lost forever in between post office and UPS hell. I'm hoping they'll ship me another one soon.

While it kind of bites that I've had to deal with pretty bad issues twice with DriveThru, they've never been less than receptive and helpful. Write and ask about a replacement.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Just got a DTRPG link for "A Cursory Guide to the Forest Hymn & Picnic". I've only skimmed it, but... :allears:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Antivehicular posted:

Right now I'm fighting the urge to pledge at the "Jenna Moran gives you a special magic name" level, because that's a lot of money, but dang

If I hadn't already been given a job as a Professor of Lethal Restaurant Operations, I'd be tempted, too.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I'm glad I saw that, because it made me go look at the page and realize I'd clicked on the wrong $75 tier. Chuubo's is a great game, but I already own it.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

CottonWolf posted:

I have always wanted a physical copy of Ptolus, even when I'd never touched D&D it had this allure (predominantly due to its size). $150 is pretty steep though...

On one hand, I can't believe there's not a "just the book, please" level; $150 is more expensive than getting a similarly-sized premium color hardback from DriveThru. On the other hand, the original Ptolus went for $120.

I originally went "Oh, cool!" but after seeing the tiers and looking at the megadungeons on my shelf and realizing if I ever ran a campaign based in a huge city I'd use Yggsburgh, I think I can safely pass.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

potatocubed posted:

We are go for lunch!
Also launch.

It was the Sphinx picture that got me. Looking forward to it.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

So, not only did the Glitch preview show up yesterday, but the Sunlands sent out PDFs today.

I felt I'd made the right decision to back it. The Tea-Fling made me sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Jedit posted:

It wasn't Sword of Fargoal 2, was it?

I've never been quite able to piece together what actually happened with that Kickstarter. I had a beta, once, I remember, but then... just nothing. Sigh.