Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm imagining a WW2 epic set in the Redwall universe.

Massasoit posted:

I would watch this

Night10194 posted:

But one of the core concepts of Redwall is that some species are vermin who deserve to be exterminated and also let's have some more food.

motherfucking classic: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/bargain-book-bin-3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I'm having too much fun refreshing this every couple of seconds and watching the original comment more-or-less stagnate while the smackdown goes viral. :allears:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-tweets-224133

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I guess I'm just confused because that seems like the sort of thing that gets sent by someone who just got super-owned and is trying to pretend their opponent was doing something OP/unfair. But whatever.

Beyond the standard 'internet humor 101' explanation that several people have posted, there's also a legitimate sense of disgust and repudiation in the response that I think a lot of people are resonating with.

Barack Obama's current approval ratings are some of the strongest of his presidency and have hovered there for the past year or so. Trump's just come off of a weeklong bipartisan shunning for his Curiel gaffe and he responds to Hillary's spiritual nomination with the sort of sloppy venom that your idiot uncle might start to spout six whiskeys deep on a Sunday afternoon.

It's a particularly poor showing for a candidate who's starting to look like he's hell-bent on digging his own grave, without even a shred of wit to defend it, and Hillary basically told him as much and to stop breathing her air in three words.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
For reference, this is now her most retweeted tweet ever. The previous record was for 135,000, which this blew past in about an hour and a half. It's 4:42 PM EST and we're at 177,416 so far. Trump's got 14,182.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

Biden in full on righteous fury and indignation is always a pleasure to see happen to someone else.

Has he ever been mad at you?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

stone cold posted:

9/11 turned Frank Miller into five thousand shades of crazy so maybe that.

I suppose.

Alan Moore speculates that Miller's always been super right-wing at least tho, and that it's pretty consistently visible in his work if you know to look for it.

It's certainly all over Dark Knight Returns, which is basically just "Batman x Dirty Harry" complete with some of the most obnoxiously depicted soft-on-crime bureaucrat pinko strawmen I've seen in Tier-1 property comics.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Hey if they just gently caress off to their own little molestation communes and never vote again that's all right with me.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It'll be a loving nightmare for social services workers, though.

Yeah, I didn't want to be all 'think of the children' but my partner and I both work in education and...well...I thought of the children.

No kid deserves to be born into that without somebody, somewhere, looking out for them. And when families and communities withdraw from society over perceived moral decay- and particularly over stuff like sexuality or sexual orientation- you're just setting off a time bomb of potential abuse.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I'm concerned about the Gawker thing if only because several of their subsidiaries have hired a lot of legitimately good writers over the last 2 years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gyges posted:

Must suck to be someone who voted for Scotland to stay in the UK and then have the UK leave the EU. Assuming Scotland isn't a hive of anti-EU voting.

From what I understand, the consensus is that a successful Brexit would reignite a lot of the Scottish Independence fire since Scots in general have a better opinion of Europe/are more likely to perceive a net benefit to EU membership/haven't been steeped in decades' worth of immigrant panic.

If Britain leaves the EU it's possible that Scotland leaves Britain with the goal of rejoining it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PST posted:

Well drat, Trump commentary on how this proves he's right by the end of the day then.

Alternatively, the NYT said that the club bills itself as "Orlando's Latin Hotspot" and that it hosts "Upscale Latin Saturdays" so there's a possibility that this could end up looking very bad for the Trump set once all the facts come out.

I'm not gonna speculate about a tragedy that is actively being investigated, but 'mass shooting in Latin night club in central Florida with possible hallmarks of planned terrorism and improvised bombs' sounds way likelier to have been committed by a white nationalist than an Islamic extremist.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 12, 2016

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sorry we went with the most parsimonious interpretation?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

fknlo posted:

So it could still be that, right?

Maybe. Different news sources have been updating differently. For example, the NYT still has absolutely no mention of Islam, but they have the "domestic terrorism" quote, and have just added that two "discretionary explosions" were used by the cops to distract the gunman- which may account for the talk about bombs.

Lord Binky posted:

That's a weird word haha, but I'm thinking Christian and Islamic extremism are both pretty parsimonious. Again, good word though I don't know what it means.

The word, 'parsimony,' on its own means "stinginess or unwillingness to spend money." When used in the context of describing an answer/explanation/interpretation/thesis it can also be used to mean "simplicity and sparingness" (i.e. the most parsimonious interpretation of a phenomenon is the one that invokes the fewest steps or logical leaps. So "my six year old cousin broke the lamp in the TV room while tossing his favorite ball around and watching DBZ" > "a bird flew in, smashed the lamp, and flew out again"), although I'm starting to think that that usage is mostly limited to evolutionary biologists.

Hahahahahahahaha

Hasn't he been getting called out for that for almost a year now? I love that he just now figured to "explain" it. There's no way that won't make the press dogpile on him that much harder.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

haveblue posted:

I think most people would call that applying Occam's razor.

Yep, and my old undergrad advisor would constantly use both interchangeably. You're right though, it's a better choice.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ripoff posted:

The soldiers that carried cash into war zones stole it and brought it back to the US? :confused:

I mean, I've heard that some of those special ops dudes get to carry cash and bribe warlords to have it turn locals against locals, but this sounds like drunk grandpa mixing up his news stories again.

Less far-fetched than you think.

Apparently, there've been over three-dozen convictions since 2005.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/apr/12/nation/na-military-theft12

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/trump-us-troop-stole-millions-and-millions-in-iraq-224352

still, I can't see it doing him anything but hurt, unless he can push it hard as an eGOP/Bush/Obama admin failure, and even then. Totally gonna go over like a lead balloon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
But Adult Swim is made in Atlanta :ohdear:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/NRA/status/743110378272350208

Anyone wanna take a shot at interpreting this augury

what the gently caress just happened

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gwyEyx5gJ0

(AND you have a creepy surveillance society that doesnt even stop your MPs from getting attacked? Sad!)

Lol if you think "the gun was handmade" is anything but a giant win for the "ban them all" argument.

Imagine if every stupid gun death in this country was predicated on the perpetrator having to jury-rig his own device at home.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

And now some choice quotes from a Politico article titled "Trump's relationship with RNC sours".

"...While Trump had promised Priebus that he would call two dozen top GOP donors, when RNC chief of staff Katie Walsh recently presented Trump with a list of more than 20 donors, he called only three before stopping, according to two sources familiar with the situation. It’s unclear whether he resumed the donor calls later...."

:allears:
Do you think it's because they'd start yelling at each other over the phone?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

I mean, that's true, but the fact that a late night show would even consider a blanket ban on a candidate is...pretty crazy. They'd normally kill for the opportunity.

The fact that they're willing to say it shows how far Trump is from an acceptable candidate.

Gonna take the opportunity to post Colbert's take on Trump's Orlando response again, because.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh_GFkdxwbQ

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Combed Thunderclap posted:

To be fair to Massachusetts the person running against the Republican in the last gubernatorial election was Martha Coakley, who didn't seem to realize that she was running for the governor of Massachusetts and not some other state during her campaign.

My impression of the situation is that MA is the kind of state that will vote the GOP into office if they really want to stick it to the Dem candidate and/or the Dem candidate really screws up. It's still a liberal state, just not a Vote Dem Every Time state like NY or California.

A [viable] Republican in MA (or CT or RI) is basically just a centrist Democrat who runs on a tax cut/balanced budgets platform. They used to pay lip service to the fossilized old Catholics with their social platform in years past, but these days they're pretty much strictly fiscal in their messaging when they aren't running to replace somebody embroiled in scandal.

The unfortunate truth is that there's enough of a history of corruption and cronyism in local MA/CT/RI politics that the parties essentially take turns being in peoples' good graces in some parts.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

I posted it a few pages ago. No one cared. I think for many Trump is beyond laughing at and now many in D&D are setting their hair on fire and are actually worried about the chump.

I liked it. Not as much as Colbert's blackboard thing though.

Has that been posted yet today? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh_GFkdxwbQ

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/743852552257626112

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/trump-losing-poll-tweet-224494

....what?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
There's no way that America's rejection of Trumpism results in a viable insurrection. Everybody chill the gently caress out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

It doesn't have to be viable in order to hurt or kill a bunch of people.

....and drive its underlying ideology further from the mainstream.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

God you guys are just the worst

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This is literally every state level Green Party experience and yet somehow every four years there's always at least one dude being all 'I just don't get it, guys, I thought this was our year...'

Would-be Green Party voters who legitimately understand science or work in relevant fields are usually called 'Democrats.'

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Spatula City posted:

The foolish Bernie bros I've fought with in cesspools like Youtube and Reddit (I get bored and have a sick addiction to arguing with morons, okay?)

god forbid we do something meaningful and relevant with our time...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

James Garfield posted:

Radar and microwaves are no use for killing people, and airplanes and rockets are more regulated than guns. Even radar, and any sort of microwave transmitter past the one in an oven, are more regulated than guns.

also none of those things except maybe rockets were even invented to kill people :ssh:

When radar was first pioneered it was straight-up introduced as a potential avenue for the creation of a sci-fi "death ray" type weapon.

Just because that particular endeavor ultimately failed and the tech ended up better serving other, more generally benign, ends doesn't negate the fact that the US and British governments both plowed some cash and time in the late 30s-mid 40s into seeing if they couldn't at least turn it into an anti-personnel device.

Remember, War of the Worlds was first published in 1898 and [extremely dangerous] radiation experiments had already been going on since before the turn of the 20th Century. When you consider that and throw in what was also going on with the Manhattan Project and similar efforts at the time, it shouldn't be surprising that people were eager to develop microwave and radar tech into hypothetical 'targeted energy' or radiation-based weapons virtually as soon as it made the scene.

And you could also make the argument that radar tech and ballistics tech had fundamental impacts on each other's development and trajectories, particularly in radar's most formative decades in the 50's-70's. We simply wouldn't have today's arsenal or civilian/municipal radar technology without the US's almost 70-year legacy of radar-guided bomb development.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ender.uNF posted:

Yes there are still elements of Christianity that fall on the extreme part of the spectrum but there is a definite drift toward acceptance. The change is being driven in a grass-roots fashion where most of the congregation just laughs and says lol nope, so the last place to look for proof is from the preacher or official "doctrine" online... But if you ask actual members of the congregation in private many will admit they don't care and think gay people are cool.

As a recovered Catholic, this is often called 'secularization'. Y'all will be where we are in 10 years.

Maybe sooner given the apparently massive proportion of queer self-identification and experience reports among American teens.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

pacmania90 posted:

I was under the impression that the Democrats voted against just as many gun control amendments yesterday as the Republicans. It seems really disingenuous to pin all the blame on Republicans in light of that fact.

The Iron Rose posted:

it's actually not for once

It's because the Republicans packed their amendments with tons of riders for things as diverse and unrelated to gun control as selectively defunding certain NASA programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sergg posted:

In before Bernie's Facebook page is flooded with people calling him a traitor and sellout

Most people will do what people do every election and post-rationalize that it was the strategically correct- or obvious- decision to make.

Some will say that Bernie's endorsement is the acid test that they needed to vote for her. Others will remember having been 'for her' the whole time, but maybe "on the fence about one or two issues."

I believe that a lot of the venom aimed at Hillary from the Sanders camp this election has been more about finding reasons to support Bernie, the candidate, than it is the other way around. Sure, a lot of it echoed decades-old talking points, but people were looking for reasons to hate Hillary and cudgel democrats who weren't seeing eye-to-eye with their dream candidate and, based on polls, costing him an easy win. I don't think that an appreciable portion of Berniebros are gonna turn on him with his endorsement now because his candidacy was the whole impetus for their zeal.

Hillary had been a lock on 2016 for the majority of the last decade and an *exceptionally* galling republican primary field this past year just fueled the drive for people to fall in behind her. The Bernie camp needed urgency on their side to make a case for breaking ranks.

• Locked thread